Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Heavy_D posted:

I had a look for the footage I've seen of "The Taskmaster" - the original Edinburgh show. It wasn't the full thing, just 10 minutes of random clips that gave a flavour of the thing. I found a link to youtube that purported to be the footage, but the video was private. Maybe someone has downloaded and mirrored it, but I suspect that's what happened to the known copy.

That sounds like the thing I saw. Can't find it now.

edit: did find this though

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
gifs you can hear

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sudden Javelin posted:

gifs you can hear

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

God the confusion, the disgust, I had to watch that like three times.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the wozniak sound haunts me

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eat This Glob posted:

the wozniak sound haunts me

Your own fault for making it your text message notification

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wozniak has such a powerful stache. :allears:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole thing used to be on youtube. I'm not sure where you'd find it now. I know that Alex Horne actually introduced the concept at an Edinburgh festival with just his friends doing the tasks, but I'm not sure if that is even recorded anywhere to find.

The person who posted that clip has posted another, so maybe they're doing the whole thing in bits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxQDa2RGaw

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Trig Discipline posted:

The person who posted that clip has posted another, so maybe they're doing the whole thing in bits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAxQDa2RGaw

No need to wait for all the clips to be uploaded, the whole of Edinburgh Does Taskmaster is available elsewhere:
https://archive.org/details/edinburgh-does-taskmaster
It's basically a prototype for the New Years Treat, when you think about it - a non-comedian panel doing a single episode contest.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

As far as weakest seasons go I don't have a single good memory from Season 8, just terrible screamy man and Paul Sinha being legitimately depressing. All other seasons I can instantly go "yep, that's a banger, and that's a banger, and that's a banger". Anything I should go back and rewatch?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe doing terribly and being baffled and starting to babble awkwardly can be legitimately hilarious sometimes.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Tonfa posted:

As far as weakest seasons go I don't have a single good memory from Season 8, just terrible screamy man and Paul Sinha being legitimately depressing. All other seasons I can instantly go "yep, that's a banger, and that's a banger, and that's a banger". Anything I should go back and rewatch?

The finale for Joe finally breaking down and calling bullshit on Ian and Paul. Episode 2 for the sheer awkwardness of Joe and Sian's first team task.

The first time I watched season 8, I really disliked Ian, but rewatching it, and listening to his interview on the podcast, I realize he just made the mistake of trying to put on a persona at first, and it only really lasts the first couple of episodes. I ended up enjoying him the second time around especially knowing he doesn't win.

Also, he's got nothing on Guy Williams from TMNZ when it comes to being grating.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Kinda worried we still haven’t heard about a NZTM 3 yet. I guess I found the second series so amazing I just assumed they’d make a third but I’m sure it’s kind of a niche show still.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
NZ has run out of comedians.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Paul Sinha seems like he ends up on the "just don't care" side of things. Joe Thomas seemed genuinely depressing to me, but listening to him on a podcast reveals that's less because he was doing bad at Taskmaster and it's just who he is all the time. Lou Sanders on a podcast turns out to be kind of a space case.

Iain was just fun all the way.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Knowing nothing about New Zealand beyond American cultural osmosis and what I’ve seen on NZTM I legit was concerned about that exact fact.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
When I think of series 8, Apologise to Alex immediately comes to mind as a classic task in both the setting and the responses. Although gotta imagine that Tim Key had quite a hand in devising that one.

Speaking of Tim...long time readers of the thread may remember the time I made a Taskmaster action figure as a gift to a housemate. I've finally had the free time to get another one finished, this time one to keep myself:

And just to make sure I don't come across as the most taskmaster-obsessed person on the planet, I'll drop a link to a wonderful new resource:
https://taskmaster.info/
One of the features that sets this apart from e.g. the taskmaster wiki is the idea of the "mastertask", which links together the original version of a task with the adapted tasks in international versions.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Disappointing Pie posted:

Kinda worried we still haven’t heard about a NZTM 3 yet.

fwiw they didn't announce season 2 until March of last year, on a similar calendar to this round.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The_Doctor posted:

So move on to the rest of media. Pit the 3 radio DJs and 2 leading newscasters you have there against each other.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, from watching a few NZ shows, everyone seems to have about 3-4 jobs. Karen O’Leary from Wellington Paranormal is also the headteacher of a school. Jeremy Wells is a prime time news show host and a breakfast show DJ with Matt Heath on top of being the TM.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Couldn't they offer up the gig expat actors in LA? Pretty sure there's at least a handful of kiwis in and around Southern California.

Anna Paquin lived there for a while. Surely she hasn't got a lot going on right now.

E: I'll take a couple of the easier jobs if I can get a resident visa.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

More than one or two actors instead of comedians as contestants is a mistake, I think. (one which a lot of british-to-american show adaptions tend to make and contributes to their failure)

That said, I don't think NZ is going to run out for a few more seasons, it's fine. And if they do, hey, they could make it taskmaster AU/NZ!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
It's taking so long because they have to find another person called Guy who can more personally embarrass Paul.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of my kiwi cousins is named Guy, seems like they're pretty common.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

New Zealand has run out of Guys.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there an air date for CoC2

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Taskmaster might have launched an ad free streaming device?

Looks like it’s $5.99/month.

I think it’s real at least.

https://taskmastersupermaxplus.vhx.tv

https://twitter.com/AlexHorne/status/1499793883554795524

Looks legit! And hell yeah if it gets TMNZ.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 4, 2022

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The tribute to carrot in a box on Kongen Befaler was the most we have laughed in months!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I could see that being worth it if they put out lots of the cut content that gets uploaded to youtube in limited form (possibly even more of the full recordings in general? That'd be for sure worth it).

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I love taskmaster but I dislike the further specific narrowing/specification of what 5.99 gets you for a streaming service. Netflix would be sure a good home for em' but ah well.

If someone wants to watch and report back if they subtitle the non-english TM's well enough, might consider signing up!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It does feel like the kind of thing you sign up to once and then rip everything from. From a quick look they're using Vimeo to host the video, so hopefully they'll have decent subtitle support.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Video Alex specifically says "the old YouTube episodes will stay there". Since all the information is in the task, I'm guessing that new episodes will no longer be posted on the official Taskmaster channel

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I wonder if Youtube stays completely status quo, or if there's a chance that the US will get the seasons they're missing. I presume that them launching this service means that they bought back any streaming rights they sold to the CW way back when.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CW only had the rights for the one run.

I eventually got an email back from Paramount+ about why they don't have the american series that ran on comedy central. They only had the rights to first run, so they're in the vault of whatever production company in the UK owns the rights.

To get Taskmaster on the air in the US is going to be a pain in the rear end now that CW hosed it up so bad, and Comedy Central pretty much ruined any chance for another stab at an american series. There really aren't many networks that could do much with it, but I think it would find a home on TBS since they're kinda the prime time game show channel now, and are working on a younger average crowd than any of the broadcast networks.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I don't know if Taskmaster ever could have done well with a US series. There just isn't a great pool of candidates for it since there's not a lot of comedians in the US who are A) famous enough to be recognizable to a significant American audience, B) not so famous that they would see doing the show as beneath them, and C) good at improv. The UK has a huge stable of comedians that fit that mold because of all the panel shows but American comedy is a basically either standup, sitcoms, or huge Hollywood releases. I mean the closest thing you have is Whose Line is it Anyway, which got its start in the US by just bringing over the Americans (and Canadian) that were already on the British version, and has largely kept the same lineup ever since, with even the one rotating spot being a fairly small set of regulars and the occasional big celebrity.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Get Marc Evan Jackson on Taskmaster

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Get Marc Evan Jackson on Taskmaster

As the Taskmaster.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, we have plenty of comedians here, an american Taskmaster would just have to be more of a vehicle for introducing talent, rather than retreading the careers of established comedians. There are also plenty of comedic actors just sitting on their asses after their sitcoms end, it would be a solid way to put them in front of a camera again. So throw 1 or 2 sitcom comedians into the mix with 3-4 fresh faces and just let it shake out.

And don't loving make Reggie Watt the taskmaster again. That was the biggest mistake (aside from cutting run time in half), dude couldn't intimidate a puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, there are dozens (hundreds?) of Groundlings alumni with varying degrees of fame who can hold their own in improv shows.