Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jump shotting my longsword into a dumpster because i've put my 27th point into int which means it stopped working somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i know but ostensibly a lot of the people doing so seem to be operating on the idea that using nothing but sorcery is making it easier on themselves, not harder (case in point mr. history comes inside, above)

I am legitimately straight up dogshit at anything that involves drawn-out melee combat in these games. There is no “get good” for me, and I’ve spent countless hours over the years at this point trying, hating, and eventually giving up on literally every other game in the soulsborne mould because everyone always insists that this time it’ll be the one.

I don’t have the reflexes to play the dodge and block and parry game effectively, it’s just not in the cards, and this is legitimately the first soulsborne title I’ve played that has let me progress any reasonable distance by playing in a way that works for me.

I shank the easy things and blast the difficult things and so far so good, I’ve already killed more bosses in this game than every other soulsborne game I ever played combined, I just wanted to know if I could make my shanking more efficient with a different weapon or if I should spend levels to use something I have to hand without hindering myself, or use my limited stones to upgrade my starter sword.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Twinking is probably really strong in this game, huh? With things like talisman slots being unlockable if you go to super lategame areas at SL 1, great runes, etc.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean yeah, that probably is about the point where you can go full slicer for trash. I didn't go for it but I know some people value light equip load really highly, that could be a pretty good reason to dump a sword you don't really need

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cowcaster posted:

jump shotting my longsword into a dumpster because i've put my 27th point into int which means it stopped working somehow

some people want to be WIZARD

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
is there any other usable incantations besides black flame and lightning spear? i'm in the last zone and i'm still using almost entirely incantations from pre-godrick. every new incantation i get feels completely unusable because of slow casting speed, no hyper armor, terrible damage and massive FP cost.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm wondering what's in store for me if y'all need 40+ vigor. I've been tooling around Liurnia and felt kind of OP boosting vigor to 25. I've definitely tanked my way through a couple bosses before I learned their timing.

Funniest pvp moment so far: me and some other dude spamming jump attacks with grafted greatsword against a fastroller with a whip. Honestly he probably could have killed at least one of us if he tried to backstab, but I'm happy that slow-rear end colossal greatswords are at least not an automatic loss in pvp now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

some people want to be WIZARD

from's even provided the ability to add int scaling to any weapon you want essentially for free at any time, beyond the usual ability to coat most weapons you can use in mountain dew baja blast, it's never been easier for a wizard to hit things with a sword

hell, the moonveil katana everyone's talking up is an int weapon. not a dex weapon, an int weapon!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I am legitimately straight up dogshit at anything that involves drawn-out melee combat in these games. There is no “get good” for me, and I’ve spent countless hours over the years at this point trying, hating, and eventually giving up on literally every other game in the soulsborne mould because everyone always insists that this time it’ll be the one.

I don’t have the reflexes to play the dodge and block and parry game effectively, it’s just not in the cards, and this is legitimately the first soulsborne title I’ve played that has let me progress any reasonable distance by playing in a way that works for me.

I shank the easy things and blast the difficult things and so far so good, I’ve already killed more bosses in this game than every other soulsborne game I ever played combined, I just wanted to know if I could make my shanking more efficient with a different weapon or if I should spend levels to use something I have to hand without hindering myself, or use my limited stones to upgrade my starter sword.

DeS and DS1 are both easy as poo poo for a pure sorcery blaster jsyk

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

skasion posted:

DeS and DS1 are both easy as poo poo for a pure sorcery blaster jsyk

Hard disagree

Source: played them, hated them, re-sold them.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Cowcaster posted:

It does less damage than slicer. Why would anyone get chuffed about this?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Twinking is probably really strong in this game, huh? With things like talisman slots being unlockable if you go to super lategame areas at SL 1, great runes, etc.

The days of Scraping Spear reigning for the better part of fifteen years as "Biggest Dick Move As Invader" are well and extremely over. You can get all kinds of extremely nasty stuff right away.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

There isn't fatty but there is plump sort, which I honestly enjoy more. Oh, majestic

try rolling,
plump sort

hmm.. doesn't have the same ring to it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh christ, I was just heading south from the Outer Wall Battleground grace in Altus when I heard a voice speak to me, then an enemy turned into Margit and started loving me up

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Shortest Path posted:

Also lots of super strong ashes of war that have no stat restriction and can be stuck on any old weapon you get your hands on.

Eggnogium posted:

It does less damage than slicer. Why would anyone get chuffed about this?

In my experience with moderate int, slicer still did less damage than the various natural int-scaling straightswords like the Carian Sword or Sword of St Trina. Plus it has almost 0 hitstun whereas an actual sword can do jump R2s and whatnot to interrupt staggerable enemies. You can even put one in each hand and do dual wield attacks.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 4, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
double post

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I'm using a claymore, and I really want to experiment with ashes of war, but I don't want to lose the crazy flip attack from the base weapon. do I have to duplicate it or is there another trainer for ashes of war with Lion's Claw for sale?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

War Wizard posted:

I'm using a claymore, and I really want to experiment with ashes of war, but I don't want to lose the crazy flip attack from the base weapon. do I have to duplicate it or is there another trainer for ashes of war with Lion's Claw for sale?

if you put a new ashes on it and then remove it, the old one comes back.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One of you guys want to give me the lowdown on if I need to be summoning NPC's for bosses to do their stories like DS2. They really pushed the Barbarian in the Godrick fight, but I'd prefer not summoning if at all possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey how the gently caress do you kill the Godskin Noble on the bridge to the Divine Tower of Liurnia because this guy has some bullshit attack patterns

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Love killing a dragon that spews lava and has a fire sword, getting his sword and seeing that I can't use it because it requires like 20 faith. I have 8 btw.

Every single cool weapon I've gotten I don't have the attributes for one way or another. Just let me have a cool sword!!!! I'm still using the loving wolf sword from wolf man from like 30 hours ago

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Can I put the blood slash on any sword or does it have to be a katana? I don't remember getting any slicing type swords so far.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Holy poo poo, so Elden Ring obviously doing gangbusters.

"Elden Ring Publisher Raises All Employee Salaries In Japan - The coming average pay increase is 50,000 yen, around $435 USD. The average boost will be 50,000 yen, but the press release notes that those on the new graduate starting salary will see a 58,000 yen per month increase as their pay goes up to 290,000 yen. This salary includes a 10,000 yen allowance awarded for the "Entertainment Input Opportunity Provision System", a scheme recently introduced as part of Bandai Namco's "Activity Based Working" system. Alongside this input opportunity scheme, the system is designed to allow staff the ability to choose when and where they work depending on their project goals."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hard disagree

I’ve done pure sorcery (and bloodtinge in bloodbptne) and DeS is probably the easiest one to do it on. You START with a mana regen ring!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Love killing a dragon that spews lava and has a fire sword, getting his sword and seeing that I can't use it because it requires like 20 faith. I have 8 btw.

Every single cool weapon I've gotten I don't have the attributes for one way or another. Just let me have a cool sword!!!! I'm still using the loving wolf sword from wolf man from like 30 hours ago

Many of the game's fanciest weapons require like 15-20 Intelligence or Faith so unless you are 100% committed to never leveling either of those, you'll probably want to put some points in for requirements anyway.

Not all--there are definitely some cool late-game weapons that just have titanic Dex requirements for example--but like most of the boss weapons have at least some Int or Faith required.

Hard disagree

I have no experience as a pure caster in DS1 but in Demon's Souls it is 100% easy mode. As soon as you get a Fragrant Ring (which is the very beginning, if you start as a Royal) you're basically set for the whole game and it will only get better from there. Eventually once you get Fire Storm and Homing Soul Arrow you'll be one- or two-shotting bosses.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok, the (fourth divine tower) fell twins boss is the first one that really feels superfluous, even compared to catacombs bosses. wtf were they even going for there.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

is there any other usable incantations besides black flame and lightning spear? i'm in the last zone and i'm still using almost entirely incantations from pre-godrick. every new incantation i get feels completely unusable because of slow casting speed, no hyper armor, terrible damage and massive FP cost.

The only incantations I ever ended up using were the buffs, and I don't think they're particularly worth investing in Faith for. The health regen one, especially the greater version of it (Blessing of the Erdtree I think) is very good and saves a lot of health flasks, and the one that buffs attack and defense (Sacred Oath or something?) is a sizable buff. There's another defense buff one that gives a large defense buff for one hit which sounds good in theory but there's never time to refresh it in combat. They all have fairly lengthy durations. The ones that provide a specific elemental resistance are great too, with the magic resist one you can just shrug off most spells cast at you.

Most of the good "spell attacks" are either sorcery or unique weapon ashes. For example the trumpets dropped by the heralds in the Royal Capitol - the one-handed version's weapon art shoots a slow moving, long range homing bubble that does a LOT of holy damage for a small amount of FP, and the two-handed version shoots a large spray of non-homing bubbles for slightly more FP. But the animation on the two-handed one is pretty long and I could only ever successfully use it when I was a phantom.

e: The Arcane/Faith dragon incantations do a shitload of damage, especially the claw and the named-dragon breath ones, but they all have such long lock-in periods on their animations they almost always got me killed.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ok, I am legitimately impressed by the modelling on these ants holy poo poo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve done pure sorcery (and bloodtinge in bloodbptne) and DeS is probably the easiest one to do it on. You START with a mana regen ring!!!

i will say there's enough magic buffs you can stack via hats, rings, and the right catalyst that "pure sorcery" was phenomenally good in dark souls 1 but what i consider my "pure sorcery" run involved an enchanted balder side sword followed by velka's rapier followed by the moonlight greatsword

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Selling a PS5 Collector's Edition Elden Ring for actual cost in SA Mart please don't scalp it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3995593

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wow I fought the boss of the Academy with my +4 three wolves and beat it on my first try... I was just going in to see how bad it was gonna be lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

blue squares posted:

Wow I fought the boss of the Academy with my +4 three wolves and beat it on my first try... I was just going in to see how bad it was gonna be lol

The wolves absolutely trivialize that fight

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DS2 was pretty good for pure sorcery runs too (unless Scholar of the First Sin changed that). You could easily scale your int high enough to nuke most bosses before they could react and could one-shot almost every non-boss enemy. I think DS3 was the only one where pure sorcery runs were just bad

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Anyone running the game on a steamdeck and have performance suggestions in terms of settings to use? Mine finally showed up today and ER is downloading to it as I type, and there's not a single article on the entire internet I can find with optimization recommendations for settings on the steamdeck specifically.

In a weird situation where the deck is the only thing in the house that can actually run ER. Thanks cryptominers.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

queeb posted:

if you put a new ashes on it and then remove it, the old one comes back.

Oh gently caress me. I've been putting off experimenting for so long.

Also I've only found 1 piece of equipment that allows for alterations. Do I have to find another npc? Or is there really only like five armors that it works on?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Harrow posted:

Hey how the gently caress do you kill the Godskin Noble on the bridge to the Divine Tower of Liurnia because this guy has some bullshit attack patterns

i tried a few times and got it pretty low, but just ended up horsing past it. when it does the rolling around attack, the only solution i found was to be on horseback orbiting it closely for like 30 seconds until it stopped

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is anyone else completely ignoring quests? Aside from some dude who wanted his fort back, I am just exploring and killing. Are there any actual quests that let you go somewhere you wouldn't otherwise or is it just some extra dialogue and maybe a reward?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

ok, I am legitimately impressed by the modelling on these ants holy poo poo

Could see this part of the game being unpassable for squeamish people. They aren't even tough, just.. unsettling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Demon's Souls is the only Souls game I know of where "you can literally just cast and never bother with a melee weapon" is true from the very start. Other Souls games require a ramp-up to get to that point but if you start as a Royal in Demon's Souls, you start with passive MP regen and can never truly run out of MP. You also start with Soul Arrow which is way better than the Flame Toss the Sorcerer starts with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm way behind everyone else but:

Margit - how do I deal with... basically anything he does in his second phase? I can get him there no problem, but as soon as he hits 50% he summons a giant hammer, teleports to me, and either kills me in one hit or stunlocks me so that he can kill me in one hit. Sometimes I can dodge it but I can't tell what the timing is, and by then my summons have most likely died.

I've cleared out a good portion of limgrave and I'm at Lv. 23.

Jumping has a way bigger window of dodging his hammer slam than rolling does, fliw.