Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mezzanon posted:

I've finished the demo and have everyone almost at level 5, so I'm just hoping this unlocks at midnight. It's going to be tough not just marathoning this game, but I'm going to try and take my time.

It sounds like it rewards multiple playthroughs so go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Levantine posted:

It sounds like it rewards multiple playthroughs so go nuts.

Oh I know, I just have 3 jobs and a gym schedule, and I really want to savor this game. Gonna do multiple playthroughs anyways, they already had a big branch (i assume) in the prologue demo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played a good hour or so after work today. Even played it on stream. Nintendo's sniper must be taking the night off.

Ok so Geela's dialogue definitely is quieter than everyone else's. Dunno how well they come across in these clips.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1499583975597113345?t=9wAiHGCLt8H4dSsNCXZb2g&s=19
I know that the first character there asks everyone to quiet down, but the sound levels on the following actors remained the same.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1499584065778765824?t=0ZiPE-2zsMvE3a3q-97gpw&s=19
Sorry for the long gap where I dozed off in the middle there.

But then I remembered to switch to Japanese and all was good.

I got to the fourth chapter battle and got my rear end kicked for the first half, then made a turnaround with some clever use of healing, blinding, and defense buffing. But I ultimately failed because I needed to keep a friendly unit alive and he kept running into danger. :doh: Will play some more tomorrow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here's hoping it's out soon.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here's hoping it's out soon.

Dropped right at 11pm my time, Square obviously has better connections at Nintendo than Atlus does

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

But I ultimately failed because I needed to keep a friendly unit alive and he kept running into danger. :doh:

it really is a worthy successor in the genre

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Post Chapter 4:

Child 1: “my magic skills are beyond reproach due to my years of training”

Serenoa: “hm I dunno I need to see this in action first”

Child 2: “I can juggle”

Serenoa: “excellent, please join my team no questions asked”

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It feels like there's too much set-up to use the elemental magic environment effects unless they're explicitly a part of the map's gimmick/focus

Like, you'd have to have Corentin freeze tiles and then Frederica melt them so the electricity caster can shock people in control/standard conditions and that's just a bit much

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
(post ch4) ofc, we already knew dragan dies from the first demo but still, pretty impressive how many death flags he managed to put up before he went down. rip

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 4, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I've been reading some character recruitment is strictly based on your conviction points. Some folks who ground the demo reported recruitment missions popping right away.

I've also been reading that on New Game + (mechanical spoilers) You can actually view your 3 alignment points and it also tells you what thresholds you need to reach to recruit characters. That's a pretty cool feature IMO.

Junpei posted:

It feels like there's too much set-up to use the elemental magic environment effects unless they're explicitly a part of the map's gimmick/focus

Like, you'd have to have Corentin freeze tiles and then Frederica melt them so the electricity caster can shock people in control/standard conditions and that's just a bit much

There are later characters who don't need this level of setup to benefit. There is a character who Can make it rain on the map then cast lightning spells to exploit the water. Early on I never tried to do combos like that because like you said, it feels like a bit of a waste of time.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 4, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It definitely feels like early combo magic is there as a bonus if the stars align rather than something you actively go for.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Triangle game
Triangle game
Triangle game hates its own name

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Game's installed and ready for me to begin once I finish with work later today. :dance:

I didn't have time to play the 2nd demo so I'm just going into the main game 100% fresh start.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Agreed, I don't know if there's some poor marketing or what, but the Nintendo Direct that revealed the game last year was explicitly clear that the game is just as much about the talking as it is the battles.

They have been pretty consistent on the whole "you'll make bunch of choices and it'll affect the scales of conviction and your outcome" thing at least. There will still be people who expect it to be 99% fights 1% talking just like some people expected Octopath Traveller to be some big intermixed SaGa-style story when it wasn't presented as such (though it would've been nice since the setup was real jarring at times).

From the outset TS has seemed like a game made by people who are very much fans of Tactics Ogre and other such games so I'd have been shocked if it wasn't story heavy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

But I ultimately failed because I needed to keep a friendly unit alive and he kept running into danger.

I guess the game truly is a spiritual successor to Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Thinking about it, one thing that is weird about the narrative in the game is that it has a political suspense based story, but because of the conviction system everything Serenoa says is always exactly what he believes. He can’t say things just to please people or trick them. And mostly neither can anyone else, because it would make it much harder for you to interpret how to win them over.

Kale
May 14, 2010

A JRPG with a lengthy script and slow burn approach? Never heard of it. :colbert:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh cool, the blacksmith in the encampment is a recruit. apparently he can just straight up add new ladders to the map, that sounds like a major game changer on certain maps.

DalaranJ posted:

Thinking about it, one thing that is weird about the narrative in the game is that it has a political suspense based story, but because of the conviction system everything Serenoa says is always exactly what he believes. He can’t say things just to please people or trick them. And mostly neither can anyone else, because it would make it much harder for you to interpret how to win them over.

Some of the utility dialogue is manipulation. Like the father daughter one from the first chapter.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 4, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Junpei posted:

This is what I was saying in the first demo

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

Yeah this is sort of the one quibble I had with the dialogue system in the demo is that in both of the Chapter 3 options the head of the place your visiting asks you what you really think of the mining venture and your three options are essentially “it’s good for us to work together for peace”, “it’s good for us to work together for wealth”, and “I can’t really say if it’s good because I don’t trust the motivations of the people involved”. I’ve been trying to answer as closely to how I really feel for these questions as I can and so my first instinct was the latter but also if I’m trying to maintain good relations I’m not gonna come out and say “I don’t trust any of you fuckers further than I can throw you”. So I answered for peace in Hyzante and for money in Aesfrost.

But the game pretty quickly gets past the point where tact is a crucial element so now I’m all ready to tell people to gently caress off when they do poo poo I don’t like like invade my goddamn kingdom you sneaky Aesfrosti motherfucker

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The elemental stuff has its own effects, too, like the ice slowing movement. I'm not sure what fire/bolt do. Maybe we can light fields on fire for a DOT effect?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I actually like what of the story ive seen, but serenoa is kind of boring and i think i like every single side character way better

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hard not to use rudolph on every map since straight shot just chews up enemies

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you feel like Serenoa and Frederica actually love each other? I've heard some people saying their relationship feels natural, while other people say that it feels stiff and purely political despite them being very kind to each other.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Junpei posted:

Do you feel like Serenoa and Frederica actually love each other? I've heard some people saying their relationship feels natural, while other people say that it feels stiff and purely political despite them being very kind to each other.

I think the writers are doing an OK job at showing it as a mostly a political marriage but I'm only up to chapter 5. Feels very Game of Thronesy, though GoT didn't invent political marriages

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Junpei posted:

It depends on how you play Serenoa honestly. Early on you can just be totally into her or not and I feel like that sets a tone that the game doesn't go to great lengths to alter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yeah I don’t think “love” has entered the picture but they both respect each other which is about as much as you can ask for. When you’re a princess or a lord you don’t get love you get responsibility.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So what characters are people getting? From doing a little research I've heard a few:

-Barkeep lady is a horse healer
-Blacksmith dude can create ladders
-Offense item clown little girl
-Well-rounded magician dude who can hit all the elements

Plus eventually the TP-gifting advisor dude, healing item user and weather mage chick from the original demo that comes later.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Junpei posted:

I was super excited about going to Aesfrost 'cause it's obviously way cooler (zing!) at the end of Chapter 3 but then I found out Frederica wanted to experience the plight of her ancestors and I'd be a terrible forced partner if I was like, "Nah babe. Not everyone got to grow up on cool snowy mountain like you did."

So they're at least well-enough written that I empathize with their situation.

Though if it weren't a game lauded for its supposed consequences then you bet I would've been a bad husband.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I did the vs Avelora and throwing some oil on the chokepoints and then setting them on Fire made the army decide to go to the other choke point as none of the enemies wanted to walk through fire. (It does a good deal of damage)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How is this game, goons? I was interested in it because FFT is... one of the best games ever made, and this is giving me strong FFT vibes.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Junpei posted:

So what characters are people getting? From doing a little research I've heard a few:

-Barkeep lady is a horse healer
-Blacksmith dude can create ladders
-Offense item clown little girl
-Well-rounded magician dude who can hit all the elements

Plus eventually the TP-gifting advisor dude, healing item user and weather mage chick from the original demo that comes later.

I got the merchant (Lionel), who has an ability to collect extra money whenever he grabs spoils, as well as generally debuffing enemies with his special moves.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gonkish posted:

How is this game, goons? I was interested in it because FFT is... one of the best games ever made, and this is giving me strong FFT vibes.

It's political in the way that FFT is political, but the combat system is way more balanced for better or worse. I never feel like I have the chance to cheese enemies but tactical choices matter a lot. It's difficult to out level your enemies due to diminishing returns on exp when there's a level difference. The game is good IMO. It has a ridiculous level of polish and despite some of the most dire voice acting in a long rear end while, everything else is firing on all cylinders. The dialog written well, it's just directed by babby's first voice director (I hope) and makes FFXIII look like a masterclass in VA.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Levantine posted:

It's political in the way that FFT is political, but the combat system is way more balanced for better or worse. I never feel like I have the chance to cheese enemies but tactical choices matter a lot. It's difficult to out level your enemies due to diminishing returns on exp when there's a level difference. The game is good IMO. It has a ridiculous level of polish and despite some of the most dire voice acting in a long rear end while, everything else is firing on all cylinders. The dialog written well, it's just directed by babby's first voice director (I hope) and makes FFXIII look like a masterclass in VA.

So play it like a true FFT successor with voices off?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a Japanese voice track. (I think the English voices are fine.)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Saxophone posted:

So play it like a true FFT successor with voices off?

The sad thing is that there are some voice actors who totally fit! The narrator is very fitting, and King Regna sounds like he's reading to the material. But yeah, that's how I'm playing and other than a lack of battle voices it's good.

I hear the Japanese track is good too but no voices has worked fine for me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a Japanese voice track. (I think the English voices are fine.)

I'm sure the voices are fine, sure, but most of the material is somewhat flowery (think FFXII) and everyone is reading it as flat as a bored high school English class in the US. My girlfriend (who isn't a gamer at all) walked through the room and was like "Gosh, they just sound so enthusiastic!" sarcastically. Very few of them are rising to the material.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 4, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Counterpoint: Drunk Dragan.

Also I die a little inside whenever someone has Erador move, and then engage Sprint after he's used his 'move action'. Use Sprint first and then he can get into position easier!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

Counterpoint: Drunk Dragan.

Also I die a little inside whenever someone has Erador move, and then engage Sprint after he's used his 'move action'. Use Sprint first and then he can get into position easier!

Drunk Dragan is still pretty bad but he's an entertaining bad. I give lots of points for that.

Erador is a pretty great unit tbh. His Provoke does double duty - any enemy unit inflicted with Fury not only attacks him but also wont use any abilities. Awesome for mages and archers IMO. Sprint is pretty great for getting into position too, you're right. He's often the target for Julio's TP skills for me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm glad the recruits get extra little stories, I was worried going in the optional units were just going to have their introduction cut scene and that's it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Considering how important action economy is in a lot of these games I'm surprised that Anna isn't really talked about much considering she gets two actions a turn.

Geela's speed buff is a definite plus even if she wasn't a healer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really need to switch out of Fire Emblem mode and learn to plan out my moves in accordance to which character is gonna attack next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh lmao, I just got a tie on the scales