Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Majorian posted:

I knew we should have built a Chernobyl-type sarcophagus over his grave.:sigh:

Wouldn't that just be a regular sarcophagus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I'm split. these might literally be people trying to survive by taking stuff. IDK.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wish this thread was a No No Fly Zone Zone

Your wish will become true the moment you'll deign to read the OP.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wish this thread was a No No Fly Zone Zone

No, fly zone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

It's really hard to match US numbers. 120/100 sounds like it was made up for a sitcom.

Burt Gummer is an outlier and should not have been counted.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

Rep #7 :canada:

(it's all long guns owned by our rednecks and hunters. Everyone that I know with a long gun has like 6-20)

Now these are the guns I only shoot in Spring time, and these are for Summer shootin, that Mossberg is for Autumn, and these here are for chilly Winter shootin.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's passing strange that of all the people who unironically said that it's a moral imperative to punch a nazi, many of the same now say, when faced with a real nazi, we shouldn't. Because they fear getting hurt. Or something.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KillHour posted:

I don't know what else you could possibly think it is. I pointed this out a few pages ago, but 75% of Americans aren't all that stupid.

In the 1990's it just meant that USA would occasionally bomb an Iraqi AA system or shoot down a MiG. 75% of Americans think of either that or that it's some new Ben & Jerry's flavour.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Like, in no small part due to Zelensky's public image and messaging, Germany has completely inverted it's arms export and aid policy. That's success beyond I think anyone expected.

As has been said, his peacetime administration wasn't perfect by any measure, but I don't think any nation in crisis could hope to have a better leader than him.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

FishBulbia posted:

I'm split. these might literally be people trying to survive by taking stuff. IDK.

I think it's a little bit of both, but in the end it doesn't even matter. It's not like these stores will be standing after the Russians have been trough anyway. just take whatever you want.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Deteriorata, how long until dawn in Kyiv?! :ohdear:

This thread is rough without KitConstantine's twitter posts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

This thread is rough without Kit Carrington's twitter posts.

Something like four hours I think?

Hey, another hate text, cool.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Vampire Panties posted:

Man the CIA/NSA/DoD must be jerking themselves raw with all of this intel. Has any of this poo poo ever been deployed against a parity force before?

This is like generation defining information. How they engage, battle plan, the technology, everything. All of Europe scrambling to modernize. Kinda wild to be experiencing something so defining across the world.

That fuckin MBS tweet….

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

This thread is rough without KitConstantine's twitter posts.

About 11:15 EST. It's currently 2AM in Kyiv.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

War with Russia?
No, fly zone!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Engaging account of some Journalists almost getting killed by a russian ambush on the outskirts of Kyiv

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-teams-harrowing-account-of-their-violent-ambush-in-ukraine-this-week-12557585

This was on Monday, It sounds like the fighting around Kyiv was very intense - any very fluid. And Russian Infiltrators and saboteurs are still an active threat.

Yeah, the two things that stood out to me most from the video were, first, the sparks from the bullets hitting the metal on the car, but second, the fact that they shouted numerous times "journalist," and there was even a pause in the shooting while they shouted it, but then it began again. That was the part that convinced me it wasn't just someone getting jumpy, it was a real ambush.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

John F Bennett posted:

Why is that VDV song so drat catchy. It's been running through my brain all day now.

loving right?

And the long faced head bopping Colonel Smarm.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
If you donate enough anti-air equipment to the Ukrainian army that will eventually create a no-fly zone.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Sorry if people are completely sick of the no fly zone stuff, but I don't quite get if it's a completely impossible idea automatically as such by itself, or if it's just that a NATO-mandated no fly zone is the impossible thing (which it obviously is).

What would happen if some EU or NATO country decided to implement a no fly zone over Ukraine by itself (after being asked to do so by Ukraine of course)? So no help from EU or NATO, and some kind of explicit promise to Russia that it's not a NATO action, or even an EU action? Could that work?

Well, I guess it would still be impossible in practice though, since Russia, being comically untrustworthy itself, also will not trust any such promises as all, and thus would consider it a declaration of war by NATO or some poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

War with Russia?
No, fly zone!

Notification of the no fly zone will be handed to Russia on a business card to give them a simple grammatical loophole to exploit rather than ending the world?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FishBulbia posted:

gently caress that. The city is going to be under siege, I am more concerned that people have access to some of the poo poo they need—even if they need to break some glass—than I am about the store owners inventory, which is likely going to get blown up anyway.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
A no-fly zone is a declaration of war. You're declaring you're going to shoot at aircraft and bomb anti-air systems.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

HonorableTB posted:

Can we get a ban on posting Russian propaganda? I get that most of the content here is Ukrainian propaganda but there's a difference between propaganda that consists of factual reporting confirmed by outside sources vs the propaganda of an aggressive invader

that channel is absolutely anything but Russian propaganda and if you ban propaganda therewill be like 1% of posts left in this thread.

Now banning un-marked propaganda, that's a different story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even if NATO did decide to impose a no-fly zone, what good would that do? The consensus is that Russia isn't making much use of its air force anyway, this is a war being fought with land forces.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Crazyweasel posted:

This is like generation defining information. How they engage, battle plan, the technology, everything. All of Europe scrambling to modernize. Kinda wild to be experiencing something so defining across the world.

That fuckin MBS tweet….

The west better get this right because there's no way Russia doesn't learn from this, improve their tactics and not gently caress it up next time they want to invade someone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

Even if NATO did decide to impose a no-fly zone, what good would that do? The consensus is that Russia isn't making much use of its air force anyway, this is a war being fought with land forces.

It would keep them from using helicopters to support ground forces at the very least.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

A no-fly zone is really a "we are enforcing our own air superiority" zone. It would involve wrecking Russia's AA capabilities and free the Ukranian airforce to do whatever they want, basically.

That 5 billion mile long convoy would suddenly be a burning streak of charred metal through the countryside.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alchenar posted:

The lack of air superiority gives those fighting on a ground a huge advantage or at least puts them on a near equal footing. Assad might not be in power if it wasn't for the Russian Air Force.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think there's probably a million better ways the west could help Ukraine short of a no fly zone. Like I wonder how many long range artillery systems Ukraine has? It seems those miles long convoys of Russian vehicles would be sitting ducks for artillery barrages but it doesn't seem like that's happening. If Ukraine is short on artillery systems I bet countries like Poland and Romania have plenty of old Soviet guns they could donate.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FishBulbia posted:

Yeah, while I'm sure there is a whole ton of unscrupulous looting by greedy people and criminals... this isn't quite the same thing as a blackout or flood in the United States, where there's a local disaster, but the country as a whole is fine and the wheels of governance continue to spin. If those cities fall to the Russians, which they likely will, those looted goods can serve as good bribes to Russian soldiers to allow families to leave, or for better food, and such. And yeah, if the cities fall, the Russian soldiers will take a lot of the stuff anyway.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

The Lebowski
The Putin

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

It is pretty remarkable that Ukraine is still contesting the airspace over a week in but really feeding intelligence directly to the Ukrainian military to enable them to hit Russian logistics units effectively is arguably more significant at severely limiting the fighting capability of the Russian army at this stage and carries way fewer escalatory risks.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think that the debate over an American-led no fly zone sort of misses the reality that NATO is dumping MANPADS into the country as fast as Ukraine can receive them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

I think there's probably a million better ways the west could help Ukraine short of a no fly zone. Like I wonder how many long range artillery systems Ukraine has? It seems those miles long convoys of Russian vehicles would be sitting ducks for artillery barrages but it doesn't seem like that's happening. If Ukraine is short on artillery systems I bet countries like Poland and Romania have plenty of old Soviet guns they could donate.

This is speculation but the fear might be that Russia would respond with counter artillery in roughly the same direction, causing a bunch of collateral damage. The counter to the argument is they're already doing that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That was a rhetorical question, I'm saying that it would be going to war with Russia in order to do something almost completely ineffectual with regards to the conflict.

Now if you want to say 'we are going to bomb anything we want that's within Ukrainian territory but no land forces and no strikes elsewhere unless you escalate first' that's equally high risk (and not going to happen) but at least poses an escalation dilemma for Russia.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

KillHour posted:

A no-fly zone is really a "we are enforcing our own air superiority" zone. It would involve wrecking Russia's AA capabilities and free the Ukranian airforce to do whatever they want, basically.

That 5 billion mile long convoy would suddenly be a burning streak of charred metal through the countryside.

Jesus christ why do you want nuclear war so bad

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Did those Ukrainian pilots allegedly flown to Poland ever come back with new jets? The pro move would be to give them a 2 week crash course in flying F-16s or something so they can get replacement planes and missiles direct from the US. Enable Ukraine to fire modern anti radar missiles and there won't be any need to enforce a NFZ.

How long does it take to learn to fly a new type if you've already got quite a bit of experience in other planes?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1499891142107693057

An interesting implication here is that the Russians may not have enough troops to fully encircle Kyiv: it'd take 90 of their BTGs to do so, and they may not have that many left. So it would have to be a looser encirclement that still allows supplies to flow in. The numbers I saw was that there were maybe 30-50 BTGs involved in the entire front, some of which will be needed for other operations beyond the city itself.

But extrapolating his numbers elsewhere, I don't see how Russia can fight multiple urban battles at once. Which they need to do to take over the country.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

jaete posted:

Sorry if people are completely sick of the no fly zone stuff, but I don't quite get if it's a completely impossible idea automatically as such by itself, or if it's just that a NATO-mandated no fly zone is the impossible thing (which it obviously is).

What would happen if some EU or NATO country decided to implement a no fly zone over Ukraine by itself (after being asked to do so by Ukraine of course)? So no help from EU or NATO, and some kind of explicit promise to Russia that it's not a NATO action, or even an EU action? Could that work?

Well, I guess it would still be impossible in practice though, since Russia, being comically untrustworthy itself, also will not trust any such promises as all, and thus would consider it a declaration of war by NATO or some poo poo

It's very simple. Once that country shoots down a Russian plane they are now at war with Russia, and the full implications of being at war with Russia begin to unfold. If that country is a NATO country it will probably be treated by Russia as a NATO attack. It's anyone's guess how Russia would respond, but I would assume they'd at minimum move to nuclear war footing and escalate the conflict.

A no-fly zone means you're shooting down opposition aircraft in a particular area. If you don't actually follow up with shooting them down then you're just threatening to use military force, which is still pretty likely to expand the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

yaffle posted:

If you donate enough anti-air equipment to the Ukrainian army that will eventually create a no-fly zone.

Peacetime Zelenskyy will probably mandate that every Ukrainian is required to keep a javelin in the closet and have to certify yearly.