Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's an Oseram salvage contractor in jungle territory who will trade rare machine parts for processed metal blocks.

The Apex Hearts that get listed in resources are apparently safe to sell, the kind that go to the valuable crafting components tab aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

exquisite tea posted:

There's an Oseram salvage contractor in jungle territory who will trade rare machine parts for processed metal blocks.
All the salvage contractors do this, FYI, though which parts they have available depend on the location.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Who can I trade the metal blocks with?

I got stuff like Apex Creature Block that is in valuables to sell. Is it okay to sell that stuff?

Processed Metal Blocks can be sold to Salvagers for rare machine parts. Pristine animal parts can be traded to vendors for some rare animal resources. Some Apex hearts are needed for some high level equipment upgrades, but those won't be in the junk category. Everything else is safe to sell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I decided to skip a bunch of stuff and head way out west just for the hell of it. Venture into the unknown since the map was all uncovered. "Come out to the coast, have a few laughs..."

And man, I haven't been to a merchant yet to verify but I think the mission for Demeter and the area around "her" might have made me rich? The supply caches are top tier. The game even has a special sound even if you weren't looking to tell you you got some good poo poo.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Was it ever called out in HZD that Vala and Varl were siblings? He and his mom never seemed personally affected by the Proving massacre, but I might've missed the dialogue.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Lobok posted:

I decided to skip a bunch of stuff and head way out west just for the hell of it. Venture into the unknown since the map was all uncovered. "Come out to the coast, have a few laughs..."

And man, I haven't been to a merchant yet to verify but I think the mission for Demeter and the area around "her" might have made me rich? The supply caches are top tier. The game even has a special sound even if you weren't looking to tell you you got some good poo poo.

I did the same thing because after the winning the first Gauntlet Race you get a quest marker with a map path all the way on the west coast. I had to avoid maybe 3 or 4 fights, but it was a pretty easy trek. So I've barely touched blue equipment, I went straight for the purples at Thormarsh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat just beating my head against this tall neck can someone spoiler this I am just past The Dying Lands and I'm close to a tall neck but its all out in a field with nowhere near to glide onto it. Aloy says " Oh I can't get this"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

King of Solomon posted:

I just took the time to do the final story quest. drat, this was a good game. Undeniably janky, especially Devil's Grasp, but it was just so drat fun. I almost don't want to move on to the next game yet.

Yep, this is where I'm at too. I think I'm right before the final story quest -- I did the Sunwing override and Regalla fight last night but I'm just not ready to be done with this game yet, even though I've had Elden Ring staring at me for a week now. I still haven't even done most of the buddy sidequests yet, I just keep getting distracted with cool stuff to do, like trying to find upgrade components and help out all the salvagers or finding flood survivors or who knows. I have a feeling I'm going to sit down tonight and spend a whole lot of time barely touching the story again haha.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

drat just beating my head against this tall neck can someone spoiler this I am just past The Dying Lands and I'm close to a tall neck but its all out in a field with nowhere near to glide onto it. Aloy says " Oh I can't get this"

Ignore it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hollismason posted:

You'll need to progress quite a while. Don't worry about it is my advice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thanks, guess I'll have to uncover the map the hard way.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I can only carry 15 of it. I guess I need to upgrade the pouches. Not sure which pouch increases the resources you can carry though.

It's cunningly named "Resource Pouch" It's like 4th or so from the left on the pouch upgrade screen. Some resources you can carry basically squat of even with all the upgrades, with Sludge being the big offender.

Hollismason posted:

Thanks, guess I'll have to uncover the map the hard way.

Not really, you can just do the other Tallnecks there is a huge overlap with the ones N and S of that one. I think the N one needs a cauldron done though IIRC.

On a more personal note I have the problem where I never want to spend things in games. Expensive ammo, big potions, rare resources. it's a brain worm. I'm playing on hard. This game just broke me of it in 2 fights after 20 years of gaming. First was the final boss fight in Final Forge which just beat me silly multiple times and I totally ran out of healing full stop, potions, berries, everything. The second one was the Apex Tideripper in the far northwest cauldron I died to that thing like 10 times not even getting close to winning. It's not a large platform where the fight happens and I just couldn't get away from it. I snapped and used my full inventory of advanced explosion spikes, then Power Shots, then the entire inventory again. I mostly stun locked it to death and it felt great. Now I'm just nuking poo poo that deserves it. Elemental shots and explosions everywhere. Overcharge large health potions. gently caress my inventory. It's like an epiphany, I mean I'm sitting on 10k shards and another 20k in unsold valuables. Everything dies. It feels very liberating.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 4, 2022

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

BitBasher posted:

The second one was the Apex Tideripper in the far northwest cauldron I died to that thing like 10 times not even getting close to winning.
This bugged out for me in a kind of funny way. I was getting my rear end kicked and went to hide in the water below. Of course it follows into the water, and once I've recovered and pop back up on the platform, it comes back, only it's still locked into the swimming animation and now hovering twenty feet in the air over the platform. Also it's not using any of its attacks, presumably since it's not supposed to use those in water.

Easiest boss ever at that point. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If I'm in a really bad boss fight I just go to my go to over use of the spike thrower and braced shot.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BitBasher posted:

It's cunningly named "Resource Pouch" It's like 4th or so from the left on the pouch upgrade screen. Some resources you can carry basically squat of even with all the upgrades, with Sludge being the big offender.

Not really, you can just do the other Tallnecks there is a huge overlap with the ones N and S of that one. I think the N one needs a cauldron done though IIRC.

On a more personal note I have the problem where I never want to spend things in games. Expensive ammo, big potions, rare resources. it's a brain worm. I'm playing on hard. This game just broke me of it in 2 fights after 20 years of gaming. First was the final boss fight in Final Forge which just beat me silly multiple times and I totally ran out of healing full stop, potions, berries, everything. The second one was the Apex Tideripper in the far northwest cauldron I died to that thing like 10 times not even getting close to winning. It's not a large platform where the fight happens and I just couldn't get away from it. I snapped and used my full inventory of advanced explosion spikes, then Power Shots, then the entire inventory again. I mostly stun locked it to death and it felt great. Now I'm just nuking poo poo that deserves it. Elemental shots and explosions everywhere. Overcharge large health potions. gently caress my inventory. It's like an epiphany, I mean I'm sitting on 10k shards and another 20k in unsold valuables. Everything dies. It feels very liberating.

That Apex Tideripper was a huge fucker, so I definitely get why that was the last straw. I never really used traps, and I feel like I probably should have. It would have made some of the bigger problems more manageable, if nothing else.

Potions were such a gamechanger in tougher encounters, though, oh god. I wouldn't have beaten the final boss anywhere near as quickly as I did if I didn't have potions as additional healing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If You worry about expensive ammo just max PowerShot ASAP. Not only does it remove ammo cost but also gives you a free refill of whatever your equipped ammo is when you use it

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Megera posted:

Was it ever called out in HZD that Vala and Varl were siblings? He and his mom never seemed personally affected by the Proving massacre, but I might've missed the dialogue.

Yes, the first time you meet Varl at the gate he mentions it and is sad.

Sona has no time for such emotions.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Hollismason posted:

You can't get this

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

goblin week posted:

You can't get this

I want it though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am amused that in the thread where tons of people (correctly) complain about Aloy talking too much and giving away puzzle solutions that there are so many people who don't believe her when she says there's currently not a solution for a puzzle.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hollismason posted:

I want it though.

Reach for the moon; Even if you miss you will land among the Tallneck.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's me I'm the player that likes Alloy commenting on everything because it makes figuring out the puzzles easier.

I also turned on visual clues for climbing and it makes the game so much easier.

I'll be able to dedicate a lot more time to the game tomorrow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Bidness posted:

I did the same thing because after the winning the first Gauntlet Race you get a quest marker with a map path all the way on the west coast. I had to avoid maybe 3 or 4 fights, but it was a pretty easy trek. So I've barely touched blue equipment, I went straight for the purples at Thormarsh.

I went there after I read your post and wow, yeah. They've got purples and Legendaries. Not that I can afford the latter yet, gotta find those Apex machines. And great armours as well.

The smaller settlement Tidesreach or something like that a bit north up the coast from there has decent stuff as well.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I need Aloy's yammering during puzzles because I have no patience for puzzles and the observation abilities of a naked mole rat.
Also; I suck at the arena. I've done the first two with <10 seconds to spare. I dread to think how I'm going to do better. I guess an annoying thing about combat in this game is that ranged strong, melee weak but you typically have 2-3 machines lunging at your face at all times.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hollismason posted:

It's me I'm the player that likes Alloy commenting on everything because it makes figuring out the puzzles easier.
While the in game implementation is a bit buggy (I had Aloy once give the same clue three times in a row, each instance literally as soon the last one ended) I do like the occasional useful hint if I've been sitting around for a few minutes with no idea what to do. It's more the cases where she says it immediately or the vague "I should check my focus" every time I'm near anything (or even in the process of using it!) that gets a little overbearing.

At least it's kind of in character. The Uncharted games just give a big unsubtle "Hey, loser, does your dumb rear end need a hint?" prompt if you so much as stop to look around in a puzzle room.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aloy’s problem is clearly being the genetic clone of a brilliant scientist, so the puzzles are just way too easy for her. Guerrilla will fix this in the next game by the relic runs requiring an advanced degree in robotics to solve.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, the skill tree is even bigger than I thought! There are all the obvious skills you can put points to but now that I'm paying more attention to better armours there are also perks you can't get without wearing them, like "Evader." It gives you more dodge rolls before stumbling.

I know exquisite tea posted someone's vid earlier about how that one Tenakth armour makes you an OP machine summoner but I'm not clear on whether that armour has unique perks or it just ("just") hugely boosts stuff on the skill tree.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Lobok posted:

I went there after I read your post and wow, yeah. They've got purples and Legendaries. Not that I can afford the latter yet, gotta find those Apex machines. And great armours as well.

The smaller settlement Tidesreach or something like that a bit north up the coast from there has decent stuff as well.

Yeah there's good armour but none of it is as pretty as my blue shadow carja armour so...

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I just finished the Thebes quest and: gently caress Ted Faro.

Apparently the life extending treatments make his cells regenerate and mutate such that he’s immortal but becomes some sort of monster, trapped near the power source because he needs it to…survive? Or he thinks it will “fix” the mutations? So he lives through the entirety of the Plague up until present time, but trapped alone and as a monster. Fitting end.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

There were some neat VA castings in the game, too. I was getting serious Joan Cusack vibes from the vocal mannerisms and accent of Alva, but she was voiced by Alison Jaye. On the other hand, Beau Billingslea, the VA of Jet Black, was still instantly recognizable as a soldier with dementia. It's been probably 10 years since I saw an episode of Bones, but I still picked up right away that Morlund was voiced by TJ Thyne, although I guess his casting as a guy who is way too enthusiastic about his work wasn't too far from what I've seen him do before. The acting from Angela Basset was great too, although her character was a bit more present by reputation than by how many lines she spoke.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ChrisBTY posted:

Also; I suck at the arena. I've done the first two with <10 seconds to spare. I dread to think how I'm going to do better. I guess an annoying thing about combat in this game is that ranged strong, melee weak but you typically have 2-3 machines lunging at your face at all times.

Arena is going to be the thing that breaks me from the need to fully 100% the game since I don't think you need to fully clear it for the plat.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Arena is going to be the thing that breaks me from the need to fully 100% the game since I don't think you need to fully clear it for the plat.

Only one set of challenges for the Arena is needed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really need some weapons with high tear damage. Faced off some ravagers and a thunderjaw in a side quest and drat I could not get their weapons to knock off unless I hit them like 5 to 7 times.

Definitely need better tear ammo. Hopefully I get it soon.

I'm on level 19 I've put in about 19 hours into the game. I still gotta do some Cauldrons. I'm high enough level I guess but drat are they tough fights without something that does good tear damage.

Definitely upgrade Power Shot because drat is it powerful ability.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

If Aloy's telling you you can't do something, it's the game flat telling you to come back later.

BioThermo posted:

There were some neat VA castings in the game, too. I was getting serious Joan Cusack vibes from the vocal mannerisms and accent of Alva, but she was voiced by Alison Jaye. On the other hand, Beau Billingslea, the VA of Jet Black, was still instantly recognizable as a soldier with dementia. It's been probably 10 years since I saw an episode of Bones, but I still picked up right away that Morlund was voiced by TJ Thyne, although I guess his casting as a guy who is way too enthusiastic about his work wasn't too far from what I've seen him do before. The acting from Angela Basset was great too, although her character was a bit more present by reputation than by how many lines she spoke.

You missed Tim Russ, aka Tuvok, aka Mr "WE AIN'T FOUND poo poo!", as the Desert Tribe's Chaplain.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If Aloy's telling you you can't do something, it's the game flat telling you to come back later.

You missed Tim Russ, aka Tuvok, aka Mr "WE AIN'T FOUND poo poo!", as the Desert Tribe's Chaplain.

drat I thought that voice was familiar I just got to that part of the game and encountered the Chaplain.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And whenever Sun King Avad talks I'm always like "oh right, Spider-Man's in this" (Josh Keaton).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

A few of the ruins or black boxes will do the same thing, with Aloy giving a vague "I guess I don't have the right equipment" response if you can't do it right now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Horizon looks and plays incredible on base PS4. It is absolutely insane

Game totally rules. I got past the first boss just barely , ultra hard is no joke. I think I forgot concentration existed , woops

Also lol at taking like 2 hours to install. Also is there any way to turn off controller sound

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Can someone tell me what the rewards are for doing all the chainstrike and melee pits? Is it just a spear damage upgrade for the latter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Fedule posted:

Here's the complete list of overrides you have to unlock. Check against this. If you have all of these, something fucky is going on.

Tau:
Plowhorn
Grimhorn

Mu:
Fanghorn
Widemaw
Scrapper

Iota:
Clawstrider
Bellowback
Snapmaw
Skydrifter
Rollerback
Ravager

Chi:
Fireclaw
Scrocher
Spikesnout
Shellsnapper
Stalker

Kappa:
Thunderjaw
Slaughterspine
Slitherfang
Dreadwing

That helped, yet didn't. The missing, locked override to craft is the Grimhorn(?!) despite me having rather obviously done the Tau Repair Bay/Cauldron, having scanned Grimhorns and Apex Grimhorns, and having the Plowhorn override. What the hell?