Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

let's establish the numerous ways Shiggy is hosed. oh wait, he's madara and nothing works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I find AFO/Shiggy's apparently infinite powers incredibly boring but this has been a noticeable problem for MHA at least back to overhaul and probably earlier. when the guy whose power was "perfect control on the molecular level of all matter he touches" decided his big move was to make himself into a kaiju that felt like a sign.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Overhaul feels like a filler FMA villain that has a poorly defined power set clearly at odds with the canon characters. He should be able to do something more interesting, but he just... doesn't.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That’s honestly the problem i always had with shiggy. Dude can thanos snap anyone with a touch and that’s hard to make exciting and tense and well the fact he’s basically Madara makes it boring

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shindragon posted:

That’s honestly the problem i always had with shiggy. Dude can thanos snap anyone with a touch and that’s hard to make exciting and tense and well the fact he’s basically Madara makes it boring

Shigaraki with his original, pre-awakening power works fine. Not in a standard punchfest kind of way, but he has a ludicrously powerful ability that instantly kills if it works, but it has clearly defined and exploitable limitations - he has to touch you successfully with all five fingers of one hand. You could write a Jojo-style fight out of that, where it's all about both sides trying to manipulate the other in various ways to get the other side to fall into the "I win" conditions for their respective stand quirk.

Ever since he "evolved" it got really stupid because the power now has no clearly defined limitations or weaknesses beyond "just shoot Shigaraki in the brain and kill him instantly before he can ever touch anything or get near anything ever because if he does the decay will propagate infinitely with no apparent range limit", and then he became Super Shigaraki with not only AfO's powers but also a superman nomu body with infinite regeneration. There's not really much of a way to make an interesting fight out of a character whose powerset is now the equivalent of a kid on the playground making up new powers to explain why he didn't lose a fight because he's actually invincible.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Shindragon posted:

Madara without the camp and smugness. Madara was boring at times, but he was excellent at both poo poo talking and hyping his opponents.

Kanos posted:

Ever since he "evolved" it got really stupid because the power now has no clearly defined limitations or weaknesses beyond "just shoot Shigaraki in the brain and kill him instantly before he can ever touch anything or get near anything ever because if he does the decay will propagate infinitely with no apparent range limit", and then he became Super Shigaraki with not only AfO's powers but also a superman nomu body with infinite regeneration. There's not really much of a way to make an interesting fight out of a character whose powerset is now the equivalent of a kid on the playground making up new powers to explain why he didn't lose a fight because he's actually invincible.

Its worse than that. He already beat the kid who had that as her power.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kanos posted:

Shigaraki with his original, pre-awakening power works fine. Not in a standard punchfest kind of way, but he has a ludicrously powerful ability that instantly kills if it works, but it has clearly defined and exploitable limitations - he has to touch you successfully with all five fingers of one hand. You could write a Jojo-style fight out of that, where it's all about both sides trying to manipulate the other in various ways to get the other side to fall into the "I win" conditions for their respective stand quirk.

To put this a different way: Shigaraki was very all or nothing in his initial state. If his power works, you die. But on the other hand, if he doesn't connect with his power, he's just a twiggy guy who is a bit faster than your average Joe. There's a vulnerability in that, but now he's just an invulnerable brick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

To put this a different way: Shigaraki was very all or nothing in his initial state. If his power works, you die. But on the other hand, if he doesn't connect with his power, he's just a twiggy guy who is a bit faster than your average Joe.

he could move faster than the untrained eye could see and had such a high pain tolerance that he wouldn’t stop moving unless you literally kneecapped him

which just makes it worse honestly, he was already close to endgame tier in terms of physique. what he lacked wasn’t power, but willpower

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No matter who wins it's still going to somehow feel like only a Pyrric victory .

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Im just hoping Deku does not do a Shiggy was always a cool guy crap.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Shindragon posted:

Im just hoping Deku does not do a Shiggy was always a cool guy crap.

Feels like Deku has already established that he thinks what Shiggy has done can never be forgiven, but he also sees him as another victim of All For One that he wants to 'save' somehow.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RareAcumen posted:

No matter who wins it's still going to somehow feel like only a Pyrric victory .

So you're saying the final battle will be Deku defeating Momo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Bee posted:

So you're saying the final battle will be Deku defeating Momo.

No, that'd be ridiculous.

I'm saying that hero or villain, whoever wins they won't feel like they've really won at the end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rhonne posted:

Feels like Deku has already established that he thinks what Shiggy has done can never be forgiven, but he also sees him as another victim of All For One that he wants to 'save' somehow.

Muscular really was the coolest guy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gentle really was the coolest guy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Gentle really was the coolest guy.

I thought we were talking unironically?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Gentle was fairly cool. Man, remember when this manga was good?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brandfarlig posted:

Gentle was fairly cool. Man, remember when this manga was good?

It's a lot more enjoyable when you can binge-read an arc in one siting instead of basically reading one page of a story a week

It's. Like. Reading. These. Kinds. Of. Forum. Posts. where it feels unnatural due to the abrupt starts and stops

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

It's a lot more enjoyable when you can binge-read an arc in one siting instead of basically reading one page of a story a week

It's. Like. Reading. These. Kinds. Of. Forum. Posts. where it feels unnatural due to the abrupt starts and stops

The general expectation of manga is that they're enjoyable to read both on a chapter a week basis with solid cliffhangers to engage the reader, and on a binge-read arc basis. I'm not too sure saying that a manga is far more enjoyable to read one way than another constitutes a defense so much as an admission that the manga is failing in at least one area.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just watched the first movie with a roommate. Did All Might just murder those two dudes in the helicopter? Also did I miss it or did they never actually name the villian?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just watched the first movie with a roommate. Did All Might just murder those two dudes in the helicopter? Also did I miss it or did they never actually name the villian?

Wolfram was his name.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think there's a really quick, blink and you miss it shot of the two dudes alive(but badly injured) at some point after the crash.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wolfram was his name.

Thanks

Rhonne posted:

I think there's a really quick, blink and you miss it shot of the two dudes alive(but badly injured) at some point after the crash.

Missed opportunity to not bring back this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012871

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-346/chapter/24112?action=read

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I sure love it when characters with limitless, undefined capabilities pull new powers out of their rear end without warning.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So did they make a second flying fortress for All For One Prime?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

So did they make a second flying fortress for All For One Prime?

That's what the All Might Robot is for

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rhonne posted:

Too be fair, that could also just be a fan translation thing

loving love that in the official translation what changed is Denki saying they'll put shiggy behind bars. And now Jeanist is calling this his tomb

TheHan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 6, 2022

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

loving love that in the official translation what changed is Denki saying they'll put shiggy behind bars. And now Jeanist is calling this his tomb

:lol: Look, a tomb is a kind of prison if you really think about it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One's a kid who's still naive about things, the other knows there's no prison that could hold him. What's surprising about that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I sure hope Shigaraki dies, if he gets an Orochimaru ending I'll be very upset

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Eric rewinds him into an awkward looking fetus thing and they get the chance to raise him right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shigiraki gonna comeback as his dog.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh jay posted:

Eric rewinds him into an awkward looking fetus thing and they get the chance to raise him right.

Isn't this literally how the movie (counterproductive spoiling of the title but whatever, it's from like 2005) Sky High ends? I'm honestly worried that'll happen now, lmao

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't tell if Shiggy is supposed to be in control of his own actions anymore. He is purportedly some weird mash-up of himself and AFO, but he seems like the same old Shiggy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

Isn't this literally how the movie (counterproductive spoiling of the title but whatever, it's from like 2005) Sky High ends? I'm honestly worried that'll happen now, lmao

It's Fullmetal Alchemist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's Fullmetal Alchemist

Oh right, it was the villain's plan in the other thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not an uncommon plot, Choujin Locke did the same with Locke turning one misunderstood villain into a baby and leaving him to be raised by his sister

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

oh jay posted:

Does this lead to Shiggy pulling a Kimblee on AFO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I can't wait for Duncan to play tag with Eric and Soggy.