Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’ve never seen that thing but it has that gadgety tech aesthetic that makes me want to buy things without knowing anything.

Don't watch any youtube videos on it, it'll make you get on the waiting list immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
You can build a headless M8 for $30-40 and hook it up to whatever computer, controller, and display you want. You can also use LSDJ for a stripped down experience.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Ok Comboomer posted:

QasarBeach (donationware)

I took a look at this website, this thing looks nuts.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Judge Judy posted:

You can build a headless M8 for $30-40 and hook it up to whatever computer, controller, and display you want. You can also use LSDJ for a stripped down experience.

Bing bong bing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol trsh80 wrote the manual for that thing

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting

Arcella posted:

Anyone used a dirtywave M8?

I have one, got it in the first preorder. It's really my favorite piece of gear I've ever gotten, and it's pretty much killed any desire to use any of my other stuff. It's a wildly capable device. Even though it's very different than my usual way of making music (I'm generally a free improv/noise guy), I almost can't imagine not using it. My eurorack and my Elektron boxes are just sort of gathering dust at this point.

I really do think it's sort of comparable to an OP-1 or something (though very different ways of working). I've been having tons of fun just chilling in my car on breaks or whatever. So much stuff has been added since the initial announcements for it, and Trash80 keeps adding more to it and squashing bugs at a pretty constant clip, so much so that it's sort of worrying for his mental health. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone that thinks that they could be ok with a tracker at all, and if you ever enjoyed LSDJ, it's a no brainer.

Definitely suggest trying out the headless version. For the cost of a Teensy 4.1 and an SD card, it's a fully capable machine and you can get an idea if it's for you or not.

Seawaffle fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 2, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Judge Judy posted:

Actually, I don't mean to be rude, I'm sorry. We talked about this once before ITT, didn't we? If you could be so kind as to provide a link to how to do this again, I'd appreciate it. I'm not likely to do it myself all that soon but I sure like looking at it at least.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Seawaffle posted:

I have one, got it in the first preorder. It's really my favorite piece of gear I've ever gotten, and it's pretty much killed any desire to use any of my other stuff. It's a wildly capable device. Even though it's very different than my usual way of making music (I'm generally a free improv/noise guy), I almost can't imagine not using it. My eurorack and my Elektron boxes are just sort of gathering dust at this point.

I really do think it's sort of comparable to an OP-1 or something (though very different ways of working). I've been having tons of fun just chilling in my car on breaks or whatever. So much stuff has been added since the initial announcements for it, and Trash80 keeps adding more to it and squashing bugs at a pretty constant clip, so much so that it's sort of worrying for his mental health. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone that thinks that they could be ok with a tracker at all, and if you ever enjoyed LSDJ, it's a no brainer.

Definitely suggest trying out the headless version. For the cost of a Teensy 4.1 and an SD card, it's a fully capable machine and you can get an idea if it's for you or not.

Didn't see your post. I'll just search for it RN.

ED: https://github.com/Dirtywave/M8HeadlessFirmware

This just sounds so exciting. I may yet have to look into it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

CatBlack posted:

uli teases me yet again

Is there much info out? I saw it's gonna be the same price as the neutron, so combining them seems like a no brainer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

snorch posted:

Bad gear finally featured the Akai S2000 and it’s pretty spot-on. An amazingly deep piece of gear you operate through a tiny window with a couple of buttons and a jog wheel, with menus so deep you have to hold your breath.

Yeah, it sounds nice and ticks all the boxes, but loving a-loving-men it’s legit bad gear. It’s the one piece of kit I had where 90% of the time I spent with it was wasted. I remember the manual being about half an inch thick.

imo the S2000 is probably best as just a rompler that you upload samples to. I'm not even sure if it supports MESA over SCSI but if it does then that would probably be 100000x times better than navigating that tiny LCD. And if you use Recycle to slice and upload your samples then you probably legitimately have no reason to ever touch the device. So if you can use MESA then cool. If you can't then it's probably best as just a super simple sample player with offboard fx

Ok Comboomer posted:

QasarBeach (donationware)

whyyyyyyyyyyyyy did you curse me with this knowledge

nooooooooo

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Arcella posted:

I took a look at this website, this thing looks nuts.

Wow, thanks

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

Don't watch any youtube videos on it, it'll make you get on the waiting list immediately.

Ohhh noooo I’m lookin!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Seawaffle posted:

Yeah I was looking at a youtube video how to make one, seems like a cheap way to figure out if that interface is for you or not.

petit choux posted:

Wow, thanks

You're welcome!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Man, the Zoia is just great. It's very cool to be able to think "hey I kinda wish I had a combination looper/reverb/guitar synth with controls like XYZ" and then just make one that lives in a stomp box.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

some kinda jackal posted:

imo the S2000 is probably best as just a rompler that you upload samples to.

I pretty much bought mine as a rompler because finding a kurzweil micropiano was proving difficult. I found some ancient Akai-format sample CDs and an external SCSI CD-ROM on ebay, and it provided some very nice piano sounds for the time I had it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Trig Discipline posted:

Man, the Zoia is just great. It's very cool to be able to think "hey I kinda wish I had a combination looper/reverb/guitar synth with controls like XYZ" and then just make one that lives in a stomp box.

Seems cool. Good for guitar? I want to replace my now sold pedal chain. Had tube drive into tremolo into analog delay into spring verb

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Seems cool. Good for guitar? I want to replace my now sold pedal chain. Had tube drive into tremolo into analog delay into spring verb

Yep! I’m primarily using as a guitar effect, and it’s pretty great for that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

It's here!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nice looks clean. If you get the 12v yamaha power adapter it’s used on like zillions of their synths

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

freezepop forever

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I didn't know what that was but now that I do, it's appealing. The hassle of things like jumping between different machines or needing to lay something down in a DAW to be able to use the same synth for two separate parts is enough to make me surrender at writing an A and a B section with pieces coming in and out for movement. Something like a QY as a compositional sketchbook would probably help with making more complete pieces of music. The deal breaker would be not being able to program my own drums.

I impulse ordered a PO-35 Speak tonight. I like to write lyrics and vocal melodies, but I don't sing well and I struggle to make my voice sound like it fits in sonically on a synth track. I finished a 30 minute mixtape last year in which half the songs had fleshed out lyrics and it all got cut save for one track. I don't know if the PO-35 is the answer to that, but it seems like it'd still be fun otherwise.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

roland pma-5s are still relatively cheap. you can program your own chinsy general midi drum trax on that. the interface is what you'd expect from a mid '90s handheld touch screen. it can be pretty obtuse, and the memory limitations aren't great but it does work. it's also basically an mt-32 if you use it as a sound source. if you know *spits* music theory and what chords sound like by looking at how they're written and how long 1/4s and 1/8s and dots and ties and poo poo are, I'd imagine the work flow is greatly improved. like, you can make sick beats with it but that's not really what it's designed around

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What do you mean program your own drums

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kidfresca posted:

I didn't know what that was but now that I do, it's appealing. The hassle of things like jumping between different machines or needing to lay something down in a DAW to be able to use the same synth for two separate parts is enough to make me surrender at writing an A and a B section with pieces coming in and out for movement. Something like a QY as a compositional sketchbook would probably help with making more complete pieces of music. The deal breaker would be not being able to program my own drums.

I impulse ordered a PO-35 Speak tonight. I like to write lyrics and vocal melodies, but I don't sing well and I struggle to make my voice sound like it fits in sonically on a synth track. I finished a 30 minute mixtape last year in which half the songs had fleshed out lyrics and it all got cut save for one track. I don't know if the PO-35 is the answer to that, but it seems like it'd still be fun otherwise.

What do you mean program your own drums?

ED: It's got a dedicated drum track and I think 27 kits onboard. Maybe you didn't spot that. So excited, also, to have a nice small XG tone generator. And this is about as small as Yamaha made them.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 4, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

freezepop forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bCdrDhUjPo

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Wait, that's not freezepop is it?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

think back to a time when bush was president, achewood was funny, the forums were relevant and uc-33s weren't vintage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey74G3e3ARM&t=158s

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

oh man that vocal snippet of him saying bass at the start has gotten samples a ton hasn’t it? was that on one of the datafile sample cds?

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

RocketMermaid posted:

Anybody have any favorite patches/sysex files for the Volca FM? I know that giant DX7AllTheWeb file is out there but I'm not sorting through 13,000 patches to find the best of them. I've found some good ones but I'd love to see what people recommend. :)

This may not directly answer your question but have you messed around with Synthmata yet? It's kind of neat in that it's web-based, but can still talk to your VolcaFM through MIDI, which I didn't know was even a thing. It features what may be a less impenetrable interface than what's native to the Volca. My favorite part is the randomizer features, you can give it a loose idea of the sort of sound you want to create and let it come up with something for you.

Also he has some patches if you click the oscillatorsink link at the top and scroll all the way down, I have a few of them that I dumped onto my Volca and use pretty often.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

CatBlack posted:

uli teases me yet again

Oh dang. Looking up the specs, it looks like they got rid of the Neutron's overdrive and sample&hold in favor of a wavefolder and a second filter. For $299 that's loving bonkers. I may not like Behringer as a company but I love the hell out of my Neutron.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That does look really tempting. Wouldn't miss the od, but I like having a s&h. But, as a friend to play along with a neutron? Ooh, you betcha! Could use an extra vca, and a "a+b×c" utility, then we'd be rockin.
Sub oscillators, and a second lfo, looks like as well.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

A Roland GM device I never heard of in a PDA form factor? I can't NOT buy this thing.

EDIT: Bought.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I would like to have a drum machine with the capability to record samples from it's inputs and preferably not as expensive as a digitakt. Does such a thing exist?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I would like to have a drum machine with the capability to record samples from it's inputs and preferably not as expensive as a digitakt. Does such a thing exist?

The Roland SP404 MKII might do what you want?

https://youtu.be/rXc48ApD-Kg

The list price is $500, so that's a decent bit cheaper than a DT at the moment. Although not sure how readily available the SP404 is -- my sense is supplies are short with the chip shortage and what not

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Ain't no one getting a sp404mkII anytime soon

Electribe sampler
Electron model:samples
Volca sampler

How much sampling function do you want?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Simone Poodoin posted:

The Novation Circuit Rhythm (NOT the Circuit Tracks) has hardware sampling capabilities, and is half the price of the Digitakt.

There is also the Elektron model:sample, which is not strictly a drum machine (billed as a groovebox) but of course does drums and has hardware sampling as well, also for around half the price of the Digitakt.

I don't have experience with them, but the Novation unit looks pretty cool IMO. I'm generally confused by most Elektron hardware.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thanks guys, I'll look into these in detail. The SP-404 does look really cool but yeah it doesn't seem like it will be in stock any time soon

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Isn’t there a pocket operator you can upload samples to? The tonic you can with a mic/software which is different from what Simone’s asking.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

you can definitely program your own drums on a QY for the record, its just another midi track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Radiapathy posted:

A Roland GM device I never heard of in a PDA form factor? I can't NOT buy this thing.

EDIT: Bought.

lol, this but music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6qxixgQJ4M&t=12s