Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glitchwraith posted:

I'm not very familiar with the character, but apparently they where married.

As for Dr. Strange, well, the title of his most recent mini will answer that question.

Yeah, they were married. I just realized I read most of the books leading into their relationship and marriage and while Clea, even in 1970s writing, never struck me as the kinda girl that would take her husband's name, I'm not sure if her last name ever came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, they were married. I just realized I read most of the books leading into their relationship and marriage and while Clea, even in 1970s writing, never struck me as the kinda girl that would take her husband's name, I'm not sure if her last name ever came up.

According to today's issue her people don't have last names so she went for it.

Weird of this week's Elektra Daredevil to spoil next week's Devil's Reign, but I guess that sometimes happens with events.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Slott's work on F4 continues to be absolute trash.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Slott's work... continues to be absolute trash.

But you repeat yourself.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

glitchwraith posted:

Couldn't find a general LCS/distributor thread, so apologies if this would be better elsewhere. That said, nearly didn't get all my Marvel comics today because my usual shop didn't get everything they ordered. Fortunately, another shop nearby had them, but it's just baffling that was an issue at all.

It happens sometimes. Easy as a warehouse guy slapping the wrong label on the outside. It doesn't happen often but it isn't unprecedented. I have never had that problem with Penguin, so it could be as simple as they hosed up putting in an order and are covering their tracks or a shipping truck broke down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Weird of this week's Elektra Daredevil to spoil next week's Devil's Reign, but I guess that sometimes happens with events.

This reminded me I meant to ask, has any X-Men book mentioned the moon sex house getting blown up

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

This reminded me I meant to ask, has any X-Men book mentioned the moon sex house getting blown up

The Not-Dredd time guys running around in the first issue of Reckoning War suggest to me that this is getting reversed as hell before Cyclops has the chance to miss the ol' Lunar gently caress Palace.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Is anyone here actually excited about Shadowlands: The Punisher? I expected it to be big and dumb in the traditional Aaron way, but I can't see many Punisher fans being hype for it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol no

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is anyone here actually excited about Shadowlands: The Punisher? I expected it to be big and dumb in the traditional Aaron way, but I can't see many Punisher fans being hype for it.

As much as I liked Aaron's Thor run, I've generally soured on his more recent comics, and Punisher seems like the kind of book that would only highlight his quirks I like least. The development with the Hand also feels very "Wolverine in Madripoor" to me, which isn't a plot I'm overly interested in, and besides that doesn't seem like a great fit for Frank anyway. Maybe it will end up being good, but even then, it'll be an Unlimited read for me, if I ever get around to it.

That all said, while I believe the character can be written well, I wouldn't really consider myself a Punisher fan. And given how many toxic people have integrated themselves into that demographic, I almost hope it isn't something they would like, regardless of the arcs overall quality.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As long as Marvel is too scared to have the Punisher shoot a corrupt cop, any attempt to rehabilitate everyone's favorite serial killer is pathetic.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I just can’t think of an angle on Punisher other than maybe “Dexter but with guns” that makes him event slightly heroic. His character basis as “guy who murders regular criminals” just has no appeal, especially compared to, say Wolverine who these days kills a lot of people but at least they’re genocidal super scientists or evil mercenaries or something.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I've liked Reckoning War so far but I'm an idiot

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chinston Wurchill posted:

According to today's issue her people don't have last names so she went for it.

for anyone who hasn't read it yet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, something must have caused a delay. The last issue of Secret Wars got delayed enough that Bendis' Iron Man spoiled Dr Doom getting his face fixed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So last year over in the general discussion threads I had restarted an old project of mine where I'd read through the main 616 continuity starting from Fantastic Four #1(no set in stone end point but it's likely I'll stop sometime in the 90's) and share my thoughts on each issue, after a couple months I had to take a hiatus for various real life reasons, well last night I got back to it, just realized I should probably be crossposting it here as well, so here's my most recent post, it includes the rest of the posts I've made as well for the project, future posts I'll post in both threads at once

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, something must have caused a delay. The last issue of Secret Wars got delayed enough that Bendis' Iron Man spoiled Dr Doom getting his face fixed.
Daredevil: Woman Without Fear was originally announced/solicited for March 2nd (and came out on time).
Devil's Reign #5, solicited a full month later, was originally announced to come out on March 9th.

So it's not a delay, just a scheduling issue in terms of which books spoil which.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 5, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm petty sure that what they say happens in Woman Without Fear isn't exactly what happens in Devil's Reign.

My guess is Mike gets killed, not Matt. But since he's been pretending to be Matt, that's who people think is killed.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Do people really dislike the cosmic cube shenanigan with Matt's brother and Kingpin's son? It's goofy, sure, but it's fine imo

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I dunno, I've never heard anyone complain about it?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What I mean is if the above speculation is correct, then it feels a lot like he was reintroduced after the Annual just to eventually kill him off, which feels to me like either the writer or the audience had a negative reception toward the character. I dunno, I'm probably reading too much into it, I just usually don't like killing characters off because if another writer wants to bring the character back, then they gotta bullshit a way to bring them back to life and in doing so often kinda cheapens the death itself. An example of this is Starlord and Nova coming back the way they did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being related to matt murdock is always a death sentence.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm petty sure that what they say happens in Woman Without Fear isn't exactly what happens in Devil's Reign.

My guess is Mike gets killed, not Matt. But since he's been pretending to be Matt, that's who people think is killed.
In the Woman Without Fear issue, Elektra considers that it might be Mike when she first hears about it, but then immediately feels "the truth" in her heart somehow that it's Matt. It would be kinda weird if it does turn out to be Mike, after that bit of specification..

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I kind of think it's a misdirect since Goldie does some ominous muttering after she leaves

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
once again time for more Marvel with the next five issues;

Fantastic Four #13: on the one hand the Red Ghost And His Indescribable Super-Apes is an incredibly goofy concept even by Silver Age standards, on the other the introductions of both the Blue Area of The Moon and of The Watcher are just absolutely well done, all in all a really fun issue

Tales to Astonish #42: "Voice of Doom" is a really fun story for Ant Man dealing with a unique villain(yet another of those guys who appears once early on then doesn't appear again for a couple decades) and beating him in a clever manner, also a surprisingly funny gag about people getting hypnotized into eating dog food

Tales of Suspense #40: in retrospect it's kind of funny how both Hulk and Iron Man were gray in their debut stories but switched to more vibrant colors for their second and onward stories, though Iron Man's golden version of his first costume is mostly forgotten these days outside of being the costume he wore in Avengers #1, overall much of the story is dedicated towards both explaining Tony Stark's situation in general(brilliant patriotic scientist, handsome millionaire playboy, and of course being Iron Man and needing an electric chest plate to keep his heart going) and setting up him deciding to change his costume's color(by having him realize that between it's large bulky appearance and gray coloration it makes him look a bit too much like a monster), which leaves the actual conflict of the story(random US town taken over by a super powered Neanderthal with mind control powers named Gargantus) a bit underdeveloped and ending a bit weirdly too(Gargantus turning out to be a robot built by aliens), overall though a reasonably entertaining story(much of said entertainment coming from how ridiculous all of Tony Stark's "transistor" based technology is)

Journey Into Mystery #92: a fun little issue where Loki steals Thor's hammer and until he gets it back Thor just keeps making new hammers to solve his problems much to Loki's frustrations, a very Silver Age story in the best way

Fantastic Four #14: another really good issue(aside from some old timey sexism here and there), with the return of the Puppet Master(who is still at this point the creepiest villain in Marvel and it's biggest rear end in a top hat too) and some really good fights between the Fantastic Four and Namor, Jack Kirby clearly had some fun with the various sea critters Namor made use of in this issue

overall a very entertaining set of issues, and here's the covers;

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
can't help but laugh at the fact that Aaron decided to throw in this little blurb about Frank taking on the hate monger, a much better story given all the irl stuff surrounding the character, as a one line throw away in this

btw this first issue wasn't any good. surprising, i know

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

btw this first issue wasn't any good. surprising, i know

This book is so much closer to Savage Avengers than any Punisher story I have ever read. Honestly this is the most I have enjoyed a Punisher story in years, mostly because it is so incredibly stupid. I have laughed more at this more than anything in months.

Will Punisher fans like this? Absolutely not, but gently caress those guys. Frankencastle 2.0 is here baby.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Frankencastle 2.0 is here baby.

besides the rest of it just being lame, the ending clearly riffing on fractions run was just like, way to make me think of someone else's much better run, where when he presented with the same choice he told those guys to go gently caress themselves

e: i thought captain carter was gonna be about the What If version but it was still pretty decent

site fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 9, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well yeah, you don't make it a choice. frank always takes the hard way (because the hard way usually involves more murder).

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Eternals #10

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Njashi9 posted:

Eternals #10

Quite the interesting new direction for Aunt May.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Njashi9 posted:

Eternals #10

I like a lot of Ribic's art, but when his faces look bad, they look really bad. I cringed when I saw that panel

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah Ribic can sometimes just make people look ugly/old as hell

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Funny, the mirrors in my apartment do the same thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
doesn't say if ewing is still writing but i hope so

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1501689423674720259?s=20&t=cPDDKAlDGzQyarTuhDPwDA

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I like this book a lot, but his Sprite just continues to baffle me. She's supposed to be 13 or something!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Are they going to teach him how to use the toilet again?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's wearing a toilet.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Good call! I've been enjoying Zdarsky's Daredevil but this event is a bit of a mess - the multiversal octopus stuff in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Steve Rogers with the Jheri curl is back, baby!