Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, I figured out that they meant tenderloins but still raised an eyebrow, since boiling chicken is usually associated with extremely sad cooking. (although in this case it ends up getting shredded, so it might not matter much. Maybe.)
I've only ever done it to get the meat off the bone real easily, but I think that was more poaching. It's been a long time but from what I remember you bring water to a boil, put the whole chicken in and turn off the burner and let it sit for a while. The meat just comes right off like it's nothing after that. Then you use that meat to do other things.
I'm going out on a limb and saying it's the little old lady.

But seriously I think I know the answer to this one already: the old lady had a cane or something and the painting is rolled up in there.

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

This means war, Sputter
Mr. Sputter is the best foil for Nancy.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

They're definitely gonna hook up.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:3:

Rex Morgan MD

And there is the ultimate stupidity about this whole thing: No, it would not be difficult. He has a record as a con man and his evidence is shaky at best. I'm not a lawyer and I know civil stuff has different rules than beyond a reasonable doubt, but I think a decent lawyer could have beaten this.

If his objective was to get a quick payout to get rid of the nuisance suit that might have been doable, but no way was he getting millions from this.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love that lion's face.

I imagine him saying "Say..." and then quickly bringing out a little table with a romantic dinner for two.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

The Bloop posted:

Sometimes even Sally Forth

Always Sally Forth.

Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba
We'll do two recipes to make this next volume's comics work out right.

Tried today: not bad, the texture was interesting.

Guy Fawkes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 4, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Boo it wasn't Ann Eiffel

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Yes sireebob, nothing like a hot cup of coffee with dinner

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I've been informed by the people I delivered pizza to that I have a "cop knock". One told me he was ready to jump out the back window until his buddy said it was just the pizza guy.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (October 1, 1938)

I can't be the only one to read it this way, right?

Oh, it is just me?

Oh...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Forget the mice: those jeans gently caress.

Green Intern posted:

God this fuckin sucks.

Yeah. Author drama aside, FBOW is usually defensible but this slut shaming poo poo ain't it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The line about greenery is right, it was basic Scouts knowledge when I was growing up. A massive underground cavern and river is unlikely, but if you're ever looking for water in the desert look for things like deciduous trees or just the wrong shade of green against the landscape; once you adjust to whatever the local low-water scrub trees are anything different jumps out. Won't always be something you can access, but it's a place to start.

In the modern era, of course, the ideal place to find water is "the couple of liters I carry in the trunk of my car, more if I'm heading offroad" and the direction you should be going is "towards the highway because it's easier to hit a line than a point even if I'm pretty sure I know where town is". But accidents happen so it's good to know the backup strategies.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I hope Lynn paid Dolly Parton for that last panel.

Dolly Parton posted:

“It costs a lot of money to look this cheap”

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

EBB posted:

Boo it wasn't Ann Eiffel

Yes sireebob, nothing like a hot cup of coffee with dinner

It definitely feels like a wicked 50s thing, like getting a steak with french fries.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 11-12, 1934)

Peanuts (March 6-7, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean presents "OH COME THE gently caress ON"

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 3-4, 1938)

Out Our Way (May 2-4, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (October 21-23, 1918)

Dok's 12 Angry Ducks (December 29, 1913)

Little Lefty (March 2-4, 1936)

And yeah, I'm ducking out on Blondie again. :shrug:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean presents "OH COME THE gently caress ON"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I think I've mentioned this before, I understand Blossom, I'm sympathetic to her, but I really don't like her. Later on it makes Case of the Missing Piece real frustrating.

Axa

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

OH COME ON

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EBB posted:

OH COME ON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-QiA6oDJNw

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bruceski posted:

The line about greenery is right, it was basic Scouts knowledge when I was growing up. A massive underground cavern and river is unlikely, but if you're ever looking for water in the desert look for things like deciduous trees or just the wrong shade of green against the landscape; once you adjust to whatever the local low-water scrub trees are anything different jumps out. Won't always be something you can access, but it's a place to start.

In the modern era, of course, the ideal place to find water is "the couple of liters I carry in the trunk of my car, more if I'm heading offroad" and the direction you should be going is "towards the highway because it's easier to hit a line than a point even if I'm pretty sure I know where town is". But accidents happen so it's good to know the backup strategies.

I'm glad to see that for all the inaccuracies elsewhere, the strip is at least accurate in some points!

On that note, in today's slightly extended Blueberry: Oh yeah... Trevor is still a bad guy, or Finlay is a man who lives by the principle 'ASAFP', or Pearl gets some secret orders from Trevor

And the colour cover for the next story...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EBB posted:

OH COME ON

The morphing potion has to wear off now right? As they are making out? Snake and mongoose making out.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Wait hold on. You're telling me...they want to do things and wear things that allow them to feel unique and comfortable, and express themselves, but not be treated like a freak or a sex object?

How completely incomprehensible!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This arc literally started with Dawn talking about how her deathhawk had finally grown out. Although I guess in Lynn's mind that translates to "why do the kids keep making terrible fashion mistakes"

anyway speaking of staring at people

Vater und So- *record scratch*

There's not too much you can say in support of a Völkerschau. A charitable translation would be "ethnological exhibition", but wikipedia for example, not one to mince words, just straight up gives "human zoo". It's a lengthy and interesting article, but the intro paragraph sums it up nicely:

quote:

public displays of people, usually in a so-called "natural" or "primitive" state. They were most prominent during the 19th and 20th centuries. These displays often emphasized the supposed inferiority of the exhibits' culture, and implied the superiority of "Western society". Throughout their existence such exhibitions garnered controversy over their demeaning, derogatory, and dehumanizing nature. They began as a part of circuses and "freak shows" which displayed exotic humans in a manner akin to a caricature which exaggerated their differences. They then developed into independent displays emphasizing the exhibits' inferiority to western culture and providing further justification for their subjugation. Such displays featured in multiple world's fairs and then transitioned into sections of animal zoos.
Interestingly these exhibitions actually started a decline when the Nazis came to power, but not for good reasons. You'd think the idea would fit right in with Nazi ideology, but in fact the Nazis just were so racist that they eventually banned the people involved from performing, leaving most of them out of a job and with few to no ways to earn money, in addition to being stuck in a deeply racist society.

So in 1936 Vater und Sohn going to a Völkerschau is almost anachronistic already, but they would have been a recognizable element of life for readers still - remember, this once was all perfectly normal - , and probably the most obvious and natural place where Vater und Sohn could encounter an African person, for the sake of making the joke. Plus when you're just about able to make your living as a cartoonist by the grace of the Nazis, you probably don't want to rock the boat by choosing a more progressive setting.

As for who actually comes out the butt of the joke, if you just tolerate the idea of the Völkerschau existing as historic background, you be the judge.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Ricky Ticky Tacky

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's not too much you can say in support of a Völkerschau. A charitable translation would be "ethnological exhibition", but wikipedia for example, not one to mince words, just straight up gives "human zoo". It's a lengthy and interesting article, but the intro paragraph sums it up nicely:

Interestingly these exhibitions actually started a decline when the Nazis came to power, but not for good reasons. You'd think the idea would fit right in with Nazi ideology, but in fact the Nazis just were so racist that they eventually banned the people involved from performing, leaving most of them out of a job and with few to no ways to earn money, in addition to being stuck in a deeply racist society.

So in 1936 Vater und Sohn going to a Völkerschau is almost anachronistic already, but they would have been a recognizable element of life for readers still - remember, this once was all perfectly normal - , and probably the most obvious and natural place where Vater und Sohn could encounter an African person, for the sake of making the joke. Plus when you're just about able to make your living as a cartoonist by the grace of the Nazis, you probably don't want to rock the boat by choosing a more progressive setting.

As for who actually comes out the butt of the joke, if you just tolerate the idea of the Völkerschau existing as historic background, you be the judge.

Hah - reminds me that one of the characters in Corto Maltese was part of one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Just more evidence that the either Big-Eared Lab Assistant deliberately arranged everything that happened here, or is criminally incompetent.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's probably part of his current experiment.

They give the sapient creature that they keep in cages and do experiments on code numbers rather than names. They are monsters.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I love Guindon. I've got a whole big collection of his comics in my bookshelf, which I'm right now about to give a read through.

Uramachi Sakaba

I just finished a 14-hour plane flight, so no Night Visitors tonight.

Mokke's Calamity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Giant Ethicist posted:

I love Guindon. I've got a whole big collection of his comics in my bookshelf, which I'm right now about to give a read through.

Uramachi Sakaba

the old world project is the sagrada famila designed by antoni gaudi. the project began in 1882, with gaudi taking over the next year and working on it until his death in 1926. The basilica is still not complete!