Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CopperHound posted:

I recently put together an 8 drive raidz2 pool. I would recommend anyone considering the same thing to understand the impact of different topologies on iops. It's fine for bulk storage, but you might be disappointed by the performance if it is used for any active workloads.
A very good point. My use case is bulk storage mostly accessed over a gigabit ethernet connection. I do have a 40G card in the server but it's currently unused and was always "because I can" rather than there for a real reason. This pool's highest stress use case is a PAR2 repair happening on one download while another one comes in at gigabit speed. Beyond that it's almost exclusively individual sequential reads.

There will eventually be VMs on this system, but that will be on a completely separate pool that will be using mirrored SSDs. I haven't chosen a 2.5" hot swap bay for that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty sure they mean that each vdev can sustain a single catastrophic disk failure without any data loss. "Double redundancy" is probably the wrong word, but it's certainly more fault-tolerant than a single 8-disk raidz vdev.
Well, double redundancy is P+Q and that's not what you're getting when you stripe data across single-redundant parity+striping (which in traditional RAID terminology would be called RAID50).

wolrah posted:

In hindsight what I probably should have done is build a five-drive Z2 out of the new disks which would have allowed me to copy over all of the existing data and then expand in the three older drives when that option became available. Now that I'm thinking about that I'm wondering if I know anyone local I could borrow a 12+ TB disk from to temporarily use in doing something like that....
What you might be able to get away with is using one of your 12TB disks to load your data onto, wipe your existing pool, make a new raidz2 with 7 disks, and wait for raidz expansion to land.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm running ConnectX3 cards. Since there's no freely available iSER initiator for Windows, but an NVMe-oF one with RDMA support, I'm using nvmet on TrueNAS SCALE and Starwind's NVMe-oF initiator on my desktop. Works pretty fine.

200bux for a pair of ConnectX4 seems nice, if they're faster than 10Gbit.
Both have cages that fit either 10G SFP+ modules or 25G SFP28 modules (these are electrically compatible, whereas QSFP and QSFP28 aren't), although I have none of the latter.

My storage tops out at ~350-400MBps locally when copying files from my scratch dataset to its permanent, so I don't think I'll be buying SFP28 modules, because that'd also involve a SFP28 capable switch and that seems like a nightmare to get used for cheap in Denmark.

What I may do is: boot the big-iron off the FlexibleLOM NIC using iSCSI target from my 24/7 online server if I can get ctld(8)+mlx5en(4)+iser(8) working - that's way closer to how actual big iron is brought up too. :v:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 2, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's tree fiddy of disposable money incoming due to an inheritance, so I'll be likely finally upgrading this old rear end Haswell, which is limited to 16GB RAM due to two slots on an ITX board, and runs a single SATA SSD as L2ARC. Some 32GB, or better 64GB, with NVMe L2ARC would probably finally bring quasi permanent NVMe speeds to my Steam library, regardless of spinning rust (altho I'm considering a third spindle to the mirror, too). Memory, CPU and SSD prices willing, since they seem to be rocketing to the moon, because there's still only so much I want to spend on it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

What you might be able to get away with is using one of your 12TB disks to load your data onto, wipe your existing pool, make a new raidz2 with 7 disks, and wait for raidz expansion to land.
I wish it were that simple. That was roughly half of an idea I posted there so it didn't include all the information.

Unfortunately I built this current pool when the previous 3x12 was riding on the edge of full, so it almost immediately went in to the range where it needs three disks worth of usable space. Since I only have four available drives right now I'd have to add a fifth to open that option up again. The idea then would be to use the borrowed drive temporarily to create the pool, then after copying over everything from the existing pool I could use one of those drives to replace the borrowed one, then use expansion to bring in the rest as soon as it becomes available.

That said, it looks like I was a bit mislead by the headlines, I had an impression that expansion had already hit the mainline release and would likely be showing up in the next major updates to various platforms. Instead it seems like while the code has been merged to master it's not intended for release until OpenZFS 3.0, targeted at Q3, which means I probably won't see it in Ubuntu until 23.04 at the earliest, making the whole discussion kind of moot because I'm not going to sit on these drives for that long.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Can someone recommend *simple* software for dealing with a tape drive?

I have an LTO2 and a limitless supply of tapes from work that I'd like to use for doing mid-long term backups of personal stuff, but the only software I can find is over-complicated client-server nonsense for people who want to do scripted backups of server clusters to enterprise grade tape libraries. Apparently wanting to just save files to a tape drive plugged into your own computer is something nobody has ever wanted to do. :shrug:

Must run on x64 Windows btw.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

I wish it were that simple. That was roughly half of an idea I posted there so it didn't include all the information.

Unfortunately I built this current pool when the previous 3x12 was riding on the edge of full, so it almost immediately went in to the range where it needs three disks worth of usable space. Since I only have four available drives right now I'd have to add a fifth to open that option up again. The idea then would be to use the borrowed drive temporarily to create the pool, then after copying over everything from the existing pool I could use one of those drives to replace the borrowed one, then use expansion to bring in the rest as soon as it becomes available.

That said, it looks like I was a bit mislead by the headlines, I had an impression that expansion had already hit the mainline release and would likely be showing up in the next major updates to various platforms. Instead it seems like while the code has been merged to master it's not intended for release until OpenZFS 3.0, targeted at Q3, which means I probably won't see it in Ubuntu until 23.04 at the earliest, making the whole discussion kind of moot because I'm not going to sit on these drives for that long.
Ah, I thought one of your later posts seemed to indicate that it could fit on one 12TB disk.

No, raidz expansion has finished being developed, but the pull request is still open because there's people testing it before it gets merged (and always a need for more people to test!).
The plan is to have it merged in time for 3.0, yes.

Sweevo posted:

Can someone recommend *simple* software for dealing with a tape drive?

I have an LTO2 and a limitless supply of tapes from work that I'd like to use for doing mid-long term backups of personal stuff, but the only software I can find is over-complicated client-server nonsense for people who want to do scripted backups of server clusters to enterprise grade tape libraries. Apparently wanting to just save files to a tape drive plugged into your own computer is something nobody has ever wanted to do. :shrug:

Must run on x64 Windows btw.
Bareos, a fork of Bacula, is as far as I know the tape software that runs on everything.
Tape drives themselves function via SCSI Sequential Access, so Windows should have a native driver for it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Async DMU keeps being listed as bullet point item for several releases now. What's up with that, anyway?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Async DMU keeps being listed as bullet point item for several releases now. What's up with that, anyway?
It's a project that got started at iX a number of years back, and where upstreaming had started in the form of this and this - after which, the developer ended up finding work elsewhere before upstreaming finished (at least according to one of the FreeBSD developers posting in the first of those issues).

There's apparently quite a story to it, with Motin concluding that there's read-corruption as a result of trying to get something out of ARC while the ARC in the process of being rewritten from disk (which seems like a fairly unlikely scenario) - ending with it being completely pulled and probably not going to be worked on for the foreseeable future.
It's also worth noting that there's a community effort to bring it back, but that may be similarly impacted by the above issues - though I'm sure it could be fixed given sufficient motivation, since it's not as if it's actual on-disk corruption.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 4, 2022

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

I’m thinking of updating my DrivePool server’s disks and rebuilding it as a UnRAID server. Below is what I currently have, what I’m planning on doing, and a few questions I’ve had. Does it seem like a viable plan, or am I missing something?

My current setup:
  • DL380 Gen8
    • 2x Xeon E5-2640 & 128GB RAM
    • 10 3TB disks in a RAID 50 array (Windows 10)
    • Main file server, BT and NZB services are running on this sever

• Random Tower running DrivePool (Windows 10)
    • Used as an on-site backup using misc drives I’ve accumulated when on sale
    • i5-8400 & 16GB RAM
    • 1x 10TB, 4x 8TB, 3x 4TB, 3x 2TB drives
    • Uses 2 eSATA external bays for several of the drives

What I’m thinking of doing
  • Use most of the DrivePool's server hardware i.e. chassis mobo/ram etc
    • are there any suggestions for how much RAM to have in an UnRAID system, I’m thinking now would be a good time to increase the amount
  • Get 4x 8tb Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Hard Drives
    • Any reason not to use theses?
  • Get 2x ICY DOCK FatCage MB155SP-B 5-in-3 bays
  • Use a Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller H310 in IT / Passthrough mode for extra internal connections (I have a couple on hand)
  • Install UnRAID on a M.2 drive
  • Create a pool with the 4 new drives, 1 being a Parity drive
  • With USB and the DL380 transfer the data from the DrivePool’s 8TB drives to the UnRAID pool
    • -Or- is it easy in an UnRAID system to mount a NTFS file system and transfer data without using a Windows system?
    • As each drive is emptied add it to the UnRAID pool
    • The last drive added would be added as a 2nd parity drive
In the end I’d have an UnRAID pool using 8x8TB drives with 2 being used for Parity. If I understand it correctly that would 43.6TB usable ((8-2)*7.27TB).

Also, I have a few old 2.5” SSDs from other machines – usually I would use them as a temporary download location, so the main data pool is largely static. In UnRAID, would one of those work well as a cache disk? I see that if it dies before it copies to the pool that I’d lose the data on it – I’m more curious if there are reasons other than total failure for why I shouldn’t use an old SSD as a cache disk? Also, can I create a 2nd pool with one of them for the purpose of a download location for something like a SABNZBD docker instance?

Is BestBuy a good source for disks? I don’t trust Amazon’s Frustration Free packaging to ship them securely or be new drives, and I’ve heard NewEgg has issues too depending on who sells/ships the disk through them.

P.S. the DL380 has a HP p420i raid controller in it; the original documentation for it says it's limited to 4TB drives. Does anyone know if the latest firmware can support 8TB SATA drives? Due to the redundant power supplies, dual CPUs, and 128GB of Memory I'm wondering if should look more into how use that host for UnRAID instead. The biggest issue I can think of is that unlike with the DrivePool disks I wouldn't be able to plug the DL380's 3TB disks into another machine to get the data off.

Any thoughts on all of that would be appreciated. thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRwT7iHIcc here is a good video to get you started on unraid. Note that you can only install it on a USB stick, but this means you can use the NVMe drive for caching. it does look like it's possible to read out NTFS drives https://forums.unraid.net/topic/45514-new-to-unraid-getting-data-off-ntfs-drives/ using the unassigned drives plugin.

Space Invader One does a lot of great videos on unraid and in a lot of groups that I'm in he's the go to guy for answers.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i'm using freenas and backing up to backblaze b2. i have it in "sync" mode in freenas, which is listed as:
SYNC: Files on the destination are changed to match those on the source. If a file does not exist on the source, it is also deleted from the destination.

i'm going for a full backup of my photos, and "copy" mode description in freenas shows:
COPY: Files from the source are copied to the destination. If files with the same names are present on the destination, they are overwritten.

I can't seem to find it anywhere, but does copy mode overwrite even if it was what wrote the file in the first place?

eg, i have synced a file photo.jpg with this, and then next time it runs nothing has changed with the file or that directory at all, would it still transfer it over and overwrite it? every time?

can't seem to find out any more than just that above description, and avoiding uploading multiple terabytes would be pretty cool

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is Windows 10/11 + Storage Spaces optimal for Plex + Crashplan, or is there a way to save some money on the initial outlay + admin variable cost as I slowly add way more drives than necessary? I currently offload stale media to optical but it would be nice to just have everything online at all times.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Wild EEPROM posted:

i'm using freenas and backing up to backblaze b2. i have it in "sync" mode in freenas, which is listed as:
SYNC: Files on the destination are changed to match those on the source. If a file does not exist on the source, it is also deleted from the destination.

i'm going for a full backup of my photos, and "copy" mode description in freenas shows:
COPY: Files from the source are copied to the destination. If files with the same names are present on the destination, they are overwritten.

I can't seem to find it anywhere, but does copy mode overwrite even if it was what wrote the file in the first place?

eg, i have synced a file photo.jpg with this, and then next time it runs nothing has changed with the file or that directory at all, would it still transfer it over and overwrite it? every time?

can't seem to find out any more than just that above description, and avoiding uploading multiple terabytes would be pretty cool

No, it works the way you want it to. I've been doing this with my photos archive for a few years now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've had a box running for the past year or so as my NAS + Plex server. I threw a Windows key I had leftover on there and have just been RDPing into it whenever I need to. I'm running 2x10tb drives in Raid 1 using the AMD raidxpert.

I'm looking to migrate it off of Windows because it's having trouble updating properly and Windows support is of no use (reserved partition doesn't have enough space and I've done all the tutorials) - and this is where I think Unraid comes in. Can I migrate my existing raid setup to Unraid? I just need the machine to run Plex and a torrent client in addition to the storage.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

Doh004 posted:

I've had a box running for the past year or so as my NAS + Plex server. I threw a Windows key I had leftover on there and have just been RDPing into it whenever I need to. I'm running 2x10tb drives in Raid 1 using the AMD raidxpert.

I'm looking to migrate it off of Windows because it's having trouble updating properly and Windows support is of no use (reserved partition doesn't have enough space and I've done all the tutorials) - and this is where I think Unraid comes in. Can I migrate my existing raid setup to Unraid? I just need the machine to run Plex and a torrent client in addition to the storage.

Unraid should be able to use the raid array as a disk, but adding a disk to an unraid pool means formatting it.
You might want to do 1 disk as data and 1 as parity rather than putting them in a raid array outside of UnRAID.
This is essentially what I'm doing now. I setup a new UnRAID server with new drives, and as I copy data off the ones in my Windows server I'm adding them to the UnRAID Pool.
If you got a new 10TB drive you could create your UnRAID server, transfer data, then add in your two drives to the pool one as a parity and one as data. (note, it's taking about 8.5hours to clear or build parity on 8TB drives when I add them)

Ps for your windows issue I've had that in the past at work and we had to format the os drive to install the latest version of windows on machines with that issue. If i recall correctly some previous versions of win10 used a smaller reserved partition which essentially broke the update.

Waffle Conspiracy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Node 804 case has been weirdly hard to find here, any other recommended mATX cases with lots of 3.5” bay spots?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

The Node 804 case has been weirdly hard to find here, any other recommended mATX cases with lots of 3.5” bay spots?

Silverstone PS07? It'd hold as many drives as the 804 if you got a cheap bracket to convert the 5.25 bays.

Or honestly start looking at compact ATX cases? There's like 2" difference between a MATX tower and a compact ATX tower, and most MATX cases are kinda chintzy. MATX has kinda been designated as the cheapo market segment.

(Though IMO I don't see the appeal of the Node 804 in the first place. Yeah, if can pack a bunch of drives into a small space... but not that small. 14"x15" floorspace is pretty chonky. If you have a space that it fits in, like a large entertainment cabinet or whatnot, that's one thing. But if you're building a NAS to chuck in a closet I think a compact tower is just as good.)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

priznat posted:

The Node 804 case sucks IMO so you're better off looking for alternatives. Individual drives are hard to access in the vertical cages, the adapters you need for mounting modern drives are made with poor accuracy and about half were absolutely awful to fit, but worst of all is that any and all drive movement and noise resonates loudly out through the cages and is somehow amplified by the side panel of the case.

I've stuffed the NAS in a place where I can't hear the thing so it's OK, but it was driving me crazy while the thing sat in my living room during initial setup, and getting that lovely case is the one thing I really regret from my build spec.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My Node 804 is doing fine in terms of noise although I do agree with the drive cage setup being awkward.

The U-NAS NSC-810A is a mATX case some folks have decent experiences with at least.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Got 4x12TB drives and an LSI controller right after TrueNAS Scale "released". Perfect timing. Have it set up in a VM on Proxmox and set the drives up as striped mirrors.

Moved from 4x4TB RAID5 on an old Synology DS411. Data is all moved over and have set up FTP syncing back to the Synology for the important stuff. Haven't switched Backblaze B2 backups over yet. I should do that next.

Anything in particular I should check out on TrueNAS Scale? I'm liking it so far, but probably won't engage with it much as I'm going to keeping using Proxmox for my VM/LXC needs. I might move the few docker things I run over to it. Not sure yet.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 7, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Good info on how the 804 isn't the be all end all, I hadn't heard that the drives were kind of awkward to access (or any reviews on it at all tbh). I have an old Corsair 500R that was my previous desktop that is my current NAS and may just move my mATX 8700K motherboard in there for an upgrade while keeping all the drives in it etc. It's a fine case, tall but not too huge.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

Got 4x12TB drives and an LSI controller right after TrueNAS Scale "released". Perfect timing. Have it set up in a VM on Proxmox and set the drives up as striped mirrors.

Moved from 4x4TB RAID5 on and old Synology DS411. Data is all moved over and have set up FTP syncing back to the Synology for the important stuff. Haven't switched Backblaze B2 backups over yet. I should do that next.

Anything in particular I should check out on TrueNAS Scale? I'm liking it so far, but probably won't engage with it much as I'm going to keeping using Proxmox for my VM/LXC needs. I might move the few docker things I run over to it. Not sure yet.

I've been waiting on 12 TB Easystores specifically for over a year and they are finally back at $200 per, so pulled the trigger. FYI for anyone waiting on that size. Wanted $180 but I'm not sure when we will see that price again.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How many and how are you setting them up? losing 1/2 of the drive space to redundancy hurts, but better to figure that out up front when planning. 21TB or so is still going to last me a while.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have an HP N54L that’s been spinning the same 4x3tb Reds since 2013. It mostly meets my needs, but it’s full.

I thought about swapping in 2x6tb, but I don’t want to risk rebuilding the array twice and I should probably just build a new machine so I can migrate my data off of hacked-Synology.

Is there a modern equivalent to the n54l? Compact, quiet, “server-ish,” maybe a little transcoding power.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's the HPE Microserver Gen10+ which comes with a Xeon E-2224 CPU (or a cheaper variant that has a Pentium G5420, with half as many cores).
I have one, and am quite happy with it.

I don't know exactly what you mean by transcoding; software transcoding can be done on any CPU - so I assume you mean QuickSync Video.
Since it's a server, Intel Server Platform Services is probably configured to ensure that even if the Pentium has a iGPU, it very likely can't be used - even if the Pentium is listed as having the QuickSync Video feature.

One way around this is to try and source a dGPU that can fit and which supports transcoding in some form.

EDIT: There's also the slight issue that you need either an active support contract or a contact with an active support contract, in order to be able to download a few of the critical firmware updates - but that's an issue with HPE in general.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 8, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

eddiewalker posted:

I have an HP N54L that’s been spinning the same 4x3tb Reds since 2013. It mostly meets my needs, but it’s full.

I thought about swapping in 2x6tb, but I don’t want to risk rebuilding the array twice and I should probably just build a new machine so I can migrate my data off of hacked-Synology.

Is there a modern equivalent to the n54l? Compact, quiet, “server-ish,” maybe a little transcoding power.

Level1Techs just reviewed a new Microcenter/Supermicro box like the N54L.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I have a Gen10+ and love it, but it does have a couple of shortcomings. Biggest being no NVME slot or quicksync if you upgrade to a processor with it. So if you want hardware decoding you’ll have to use the only PCIE slot for a video card and use an external USB NVME case. If you can live without hardware decoding the PCIE slot can be used for NVMEs no problem. If you use an external NVME the 10gbps USB ports are only on the front for some reason. I upgraded mine to a 2446G and 64gb ram, p400 quadro, 4x8tb and mirrored external 1tb NVMEs and it’s been real good. Ran proxmox for a bit but it was overkill for my needs and switched to unraid.

My whole stack at idle barely pulls 150w.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Scruff McGruff posted:

Level1Techs just reviewed a new Microcenter/Supermicro box like the N54L.

Thanks. That looks like what I’m shopping for. I just can’t find it for sale yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The TrueNAS Mini uses a similar product line, it's quite pricey - though comparable to much lower spec Synology boxes. I think it's also time for these boxes to have dual 10GbE interfaces on as well, rather than having to use an add-on card.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 8, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eddiewalker posted:

I feel like if you've been using hacked-Synology since 2013, your first decision should be about the software/OS rather than hardware:
1. Do you want to use true/freeNAS and do the setup and janitoring of the system, and have more ownership?
2. Or is this a sign that you should go with a turn-key solution where you don't have to pay attention?

Because your storage needs do not seem to call for a full server setup, or even a mini-server. If you are buying a set of modern drives you don't need more than 4, so it's not like you need PCIe slots for LSI cards or whatever. Meanwhile, the NAS boxes from synology or QNAP that have celeron CPUs in them can run plex and do transcoding.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
At this point the hacked Synology is running Plex, TimeMachine backups, Home Assistant, usenet grabbing, UnifiCloudkey and an irc bnc. I’d like to add camera recording but I’m already pushing an ancient Turion with 2gb of ram.

I feel like I’ve outgrown Synology DSM a little. TrueNAS is what I was leaning toward, but I don’t know a whole lot about it yet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

eddiewalker posted:

At this point the hacked Synology is running Plex, TimeMachine backups, Home Assistant, usenet grabbing, UnifiCloudkey and an irc bnc. I’d like to add camera recording but I’m already pushing an ancient Turion with 2gb of ram.

I feel like I’ve outgrown Synology DSM a little. TrueNAS is what I was leaning toward, but I don’t know a whole lot about it yet.

If you can wait a bit, TrueNAS Scale will probably get a full release this year and it being linux (with docker built in) will make it a much smoother transition for you to migrate your services over to there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I have a Gen10+ and love it, but it does have a couple of shortcomings. Biggest being no NVME slot or quicksync if you upgrade to a processor with it. So if you want hardware decoding you’ll have to use the only PCIE slot for a video card and use an external USB NVME case. If you can live without hardware decoding the PCIE slot can be used for NVMEs no problem. If you use an external NVME the 10gbps USB ports are only on the front for some reason. I upgraded mine to a 2446G and 64gb ram, p400 quadro, 4x8tb and mirrored external 1tb NVMEs and it’s been real good. Ran proxmox for a bit but it was overkill for my needs and switched to unraid.

My whole stack at idle barely pulls 150w.
If I ever think seriously about adding a GPU to mine, I'll be going for a small form-factor AMD because nvidia are still loving dumb about GPGPU+NVENC access on FreeBSD (it's non-existent, but the Linux driver - which is based off the FreeBSD driver - has it).
Don't you run into issues of thermal headroom if you're running that faster CPU at full load, or do you just never do that?

Also, the Intel Server Platform Services mandate disabling the iGPU, so far as I know - so it's just a thing you have to get used to, unless AMD feels like entering the market with their APUs and don't feel like knee-capping their market segmentation (which they probably will).

eddiewalker posted:

Thanks. That looks like what I’m shopping for. I just can’t find it for sale yet.
Ix aren't building it, they're just working with an ODM.
Unfortunately the ODM doesn't deal in shipments with fewer than 100 units, and I missed the one time massdrop did it (that was before the name-change, which gives you an idea of how long ago it was).
I do wonder what ODM SuperMicro and MicroCenter use for theirs though, I've never been able to find out.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 8, 2022

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

1. Do you want to use true/freeNAS and do the setup and janitoring of the system, and have more ownership?

What janitoring is there? If your needs are simple you can just install TrueNAS, set up your shares and be done with it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you can wait a bit, TrueNAS Scale will probably get a full release this year and it being linux (with docker built in) will make it a much smoother transition for you to migrate your services over to there.

SCALE was released last month actually: https://www.truenas.com/docs/releasenotes/scale/22.02.0/

It comes with Kubernetes, not Docker, for its container orchestration.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

What janitoring is there? If your needs are simple you can just install TrueNAS, set up your shares and be done with it.

C'mon, versus a commercial purpose-made device, you are far more likely to have indeterminate problems that you have to troubleshoot. For example, whatever was going on for this guy ITT. That's not to say it's bad or not worth doing, but it's more work than a NAS box you just plug drives into.

However, I misread the situation of guy I replied to -- I interpreted his post as "installed hack-synology in 2013, hasn't really done much with it, runs plex". While in fact he does lots of stuff with his home server and is already doing plenty of janitoring. So yeah a more flexible OS, on something more capable than a 4-bay celeron NAS, is a good idea.

(IDK maybe you feel "janitoring" is more of a negative epithet than I do.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The thing is, if you have the right hardware, ZFS can do the whole pull-drive-out-and-insert-new-to-replace.
That's what zfsd and SAS enclosure paths exists for - but the average NAS user just doesn't know and wouldn't recognize a SAS enclosure if it drew blood while they were installing it in a rack.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

C'mon, versus a commercial purpose-made device, you are far more likely to have indeterminate problems that you have to troubleshoot. For example, whatever was going on for this guy ITT. That's not to say it's bad or not worth doing, but it's more work than a NAS box you just plug drives into.
Well I mean TrueNAS is a purpose-made operating system put out by a for-profit company. The difference comes more from putting together your own hardware to install this software stack on, instead of buying an appliance with a known good configuration and some kind of support offering.

In the example you posted, ZFS has faulted the disk and says it should be replaced. Our guy decided to not listen to this and start troubleshooting instead. Not really sure what the difference with an appliance is there, unless the appliance has stripped out the tooling that would be needed for troubleshooting.

Klyith posted:

(IDK maybe you feel "janitoring" is more of a negative epithet than I do.)
Janitoring for me at least means menial busywork aka poo poo I don't want to do on my free time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Don't you run into issues of thermal headroom if you're running that faster CPU at full load, or do you just never do that?

It throttles a little bit if I run it full tilt for a while, but it’s still substantially faster than the e2224 was.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Waffle Conspiracy posted:

Unraid should be able to use the raid array as a disk, but adding a disk to an unraid pool means formatting it.
You might want to do 1 disk as data and 1 as parity rather than putting them in a raid array outside of UnRAID.
This is essentially what I'm doing now. I setup a new UnRAID server with new drives, and as I copy data off the ones in my Windows server I'm adding them to the UnRAID Pool.
If you got a new 10TB drive you could create your UnRAID server, transfer data, then add in your two drives to the pool one as a parity and one as data. (note, it's taking about 8.5hours to clear or build parity on 8TB drives when I add them)

Ps for your windows issue I've had that in the past at work and we had to format the os drive to install the latest version of windows on machines with that issue. If i recall correctly some previous versions of win10 used a smaller reserved partition which essentially broke the update.

Thank you for this response! I don't know why I hadn't thought of just reinstalling Windows off of a latest image. Just gotta backup my Plex server setup.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

No, it works the way you want it to. I've been doing this with my photos archive for a few years now.

With Copy mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Wild EEPROM posted:

With Copy mode?

Yep! Nightly syncs with no changes take about 15-20 seconds.