Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I love the detectorists. So much. It's one of my favorite shows ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Coming 2 america. It had really high production value and then like idk somehow felt cheap

Some good laughs

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Severance is super good and also extremely unnerving. Today’s episode (4) was intense but in the way being diagnosed with untreatable anal cancer is “intense”. The intro is beautiful and the theme is nearly Succession-level good. hosed up, recommend.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SLOSifl posted:

Severance is super good and also extremely unnerving. Today’s episode (4) was intense but in the way being diagnosed with untreatable anal cancer is “intense”. The intro is beautiful and the theme is nearly Succession-level good. hosed up, recommend.

ooh i just saw the billboard for that didn't know it was out already

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nihonniboku posted:

Imagine being so loving talented for over 30 decades, and never really truly getting the recognition she deserves.

But enough about Nancy Pelosi

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mcmagic posted:

Beforeigners completely goes off the rail in the last episode of the second season lol

Yeah, I just finished it and it really does.

I kind of found it dumb that she got transported to Christian Saudi Arabia meets Nazi Germany and somehow manages to casually walk up right outside the Queen's room and screams at her, and proceeds to punch a guard in the face and they just simply put her in cuffs and have her meet with the Queen. Like if she was just merely on the property she would have been shot, let alone screaming at the Queen and beating up guards.

I also found it incredibly dumb that she couldn't die even when being stabbed in the neck due to TIME PARADOX!

I will say, her being Lars's granddaughter is kind of cool.

Beforeigners is still a good and fun show but I hope the final episode isn't it cementing itself to stupid territory. It's one thing to be unrealistic, it's another being just stupid.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I try to focus on finding elements of shows to enjoy rather than things to pick apart, but having said that "The Dropout" is a steaming pile of overdramatized poo poo to me and I have a hard time finding anything that was done well. It's probably because I'm way too close to the actual story in my education and experience, and nobody involved with the creation and writing is anywhere near it, but who knows. I hope nobody who ever worked for Theranos has to watch it. I couldn't do more than 2 episodes.

I mean if I was an actual pirate I might say the same about Our Flag Means Death (since it's also based on some facts) but that one is actually enjoyable and clearly ridiculous for fun.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Dropout is too sympathetic to Holmes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

BonoMan posted:

God I love the detectorists. So much. It's one of my favorite shows ever

It's so good. It's one of the easiest shows to watch imo. Just good hearted, wholesome quiet comedy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thoughts over the last 48 hours:

Fresh is on Hulu, I definitely think people should watch it
After Yang is on Showtime, I definitely think people should watch it
jeen-yuhs is on Netflix, I definitely think people should watch the first and second part

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm three eps into somebody somewhere on HBO Max and loving it so far. A nice quiet dramedy in a small Kansas town.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MST3ks backer only softlaunch had about ten mins of delays then smooth sailing for a fun Santo movie
Shows still the most welcoming form of entertainment after all these years.
It opens to the public in may

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

If you have HBO Max you should check out Drive My Car. All the reviews make sure to mention the three hour runtime, but when a movie is actually good it doesn’t matter how long it is. I don’t think I even paused it once after I started. It’s got a lot of tranquil driving scenes and lots of long conversations about relationships and Chekhov. I do wish I was more familiar with Uncle Vanya, but that’s just because it seems like it’s really good, not because it’s necessary in order to appreciate the movie.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Lots of business dramas lately.

Hard agree that The Dropout is way too sympathetic to Holmes. I think the characters are played well, but it's just mostly filler. Then again, I guess that was Theranos.

Super Pumped, about the rise of Uber on Showtime had a decent first episode. But same thing, way too sympathetic.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
After watching the original West Side Story and not liking it the other day, I figured I'd try out the new West Side Story, both on HBO Max.

While it didn't have put white actors in brown face which very distracting to see in the original, I still didn't like it.

I found a lot of the music to be, not good. The awkward dance sequences went on too long, I was surprised they seemed to keep the original choreography. Then Spielberg did all sorts of distracting color grading and lens flares in just about every scene.

Ariana DeBose was good as everyone said, and Rita Moreno is always great. I don't get the fanfare around Rachel Zegler, you can tell it was her first acting performance, she fell flat and was just there. I like Ansel Elgort normally, but casting him in this is kind of a head scratcher, and he's also getting a little too old to be playing a teenager.

And with that, Stephen Spielberg has entered his 20th year of making uninteresting films. When did he stop trying?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
West Side Story was a massive long-time passion project for him, so it's definitely not an issue of trying. I think like most artists as he got older his interests and instincts shifted, as did the industry itself. He's not interested in making the sort of films that he used to, and even if he was nobody would let him, plus he wouldn't have the same instincts as he did in his younger days.

Very few artists are able to continue firing on all cylinders for decades and decades at a time. Getting old takes a toll.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

He's not interested in making the sort of films that he used to, and even if he was nobody would let him

Doesn't he own a film studio? I thought he was one of the owners of Dreamworks. Plus, he's rich enough that he could finance his own projects.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Munich was good and while WOTW was heavily flawed it at least had some really good sequences.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Righteous gemstones with a very strong finish. Good season

Watching this flag means death now, its what we do in the shadows but with pirates. So amazing basically

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s fun but it’s nowhere in the same league as WWDITS. That show has been honed into near perfection.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Doesn't he own a film studio? I thought he was one of the owners of Dreamworks. Plus, he's rich enough that he could finance his own projects.

The live action studios got sold to Viacom over a decade ago.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nihonniboku posted:

And with that, Stephen Spielberg has entered his 20th year of making uninteresting films. When did he stop trying?
Bridge of Spies is great, Munich is one of his masterpieces, and whatever you want to say about War of the Worlds, "uninteresting" is not applicable, I think!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Bridge of Spies is great, Munich is one of his masterpieces, and whatever you want to say about War of the Worlds, "uninteresting" is not applicable, I think!

Shrug, I thought Bridge of Spies was a dull dad movie, but to each their own. I haven't seen War of the Worlds since it came out, but I think Tom Cruise fatigue has skewed my memory of it. Munich I know I saw, but don't really remember too well.

I think The BFG and Ready Player One have definitely caused him to fall out of favor with me.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Cruise is utterly unconvincing as a deadbeat dad. I do appreciate him playing against type in it and Minority Report however.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

Shrug, I thought Bridge of Spies was a dull dad movie, but to each their own. I haven't seen War of the Worlds since it came out, but I think Tom Cruise fatigue has skewed my memory of it. Munich I know I saw, but don't really remember too well.

I think The BFG and Ready Player One have definitely caused him to fall out of favor with me.

Tintin was great. Shame they're not making the next one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

"Gaming Wallstreet" on HBO Max is surprisingly boring. Like they spend literally one minute about the rise of GME's hightime and the rest of episode 1 is about a bunch of bullshit nobody cares about.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Just finished my fifteenth watching of I heart Huckabee's

Please do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basic Poster posted:

Just finished my fifteenth watching of I heart Huckabee's

Please do

stone classic

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol of course Holmes is being treated with kid gloves in media. Her joke of a prison sentence was already too much for a delicate white flower to bear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lol of course Holmes is being treated with kid gloves in media. Her joke of a prison sentence was already too much for a delicate white flower to bear.

While The Dropout is indeed somewhat sympathetic to her, it also makes her look very very stupid and kind of evil.

That stuff aside, it's an entertaining show anyway :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chris James 2 posted:

Thoughts over the last 48 hours:

Fresh is on Hulu, I definitely think people should watch it
After Yang is on Showtime, I definitely think people should watch it
jeen-yuhs is on Netflix, I definitely think people should watch the first and second part

Fresh is hosed up!!!!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Watched Fresh last night. It was good, but it's been driving me insane trying to figure out who the main girl character looks like. She's got some Mary Elizabeth Winstead in there, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OldSenileGuy posted:

Watched Fresh last night. It was good, but it's been driving me insane trying to figure out who the main girl character looks like. She's got some Mary Elizabeth Winstead in there, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

she looks quite a bit like Charlotte Gainsbourgh to me

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Of all possible complaints about West Side Story, "Spielberg didn't try" is a weird one. The lens flares and color grading were annoying but the composition and general energy Spielberg brought helped elevate this movie.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a reason why "Guardians of Justice" has such a low IMDB score?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16549788/

Was there some "controversy" that I missed?

I'm a couple episodes in and really enjoying it. Has that indie experimental 3AM show on cable vibe.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a reason why "Guardians of Justice" has such a low IMDB score?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16549788/

Was there some "controversy" that I missed?

I'm a couple episodes in and really enjoying it. Has that indie experimental 3AM show on cable vibe.

Idk I watched two episodes and couldn't believe how a show this bad actually got fully completed so maybe it's just that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ill watch it]

I love adi shankar stuff

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

live with fruit posted:

Of all possible complaints about West Side Story, "Spielberg didn't try" is a weird one. The lens flares and color grading were annoying but the composition and general energy Spielberg brought helped elevate this movie.

Those were minor complaints. It was just loving boring.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Fresh is hosed up!!!!

Way more weird and morbid than I was expecting. I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It's from a month or two ago but holy hell is Reacher the corniest, most ridiculous, most boring show I've ever seen. Mary Sue ain't got nothing on this guy, who is not only a physical specimen that makes Christopher Hemsworth look like a scrawny nerd, he's also the smartest guy in the world. And the best fighter in the world. And has the best hunches. And the best at finding clues. Most accurate with a gun. Biggest heart. Think of any positive attribute and he's the best at it. He's basically like Superman who can't fly but is much better in every other way.

Script is somehow stupid and arcanely complex at the same time. Main actress's accent comes and goes. They could save it a bit with humor, like poke fun at Reacher to take him down a peg, but no, the humor is all groan-worthy boomer poo poo.

This guy would be insufferable in real life. He knows everything and can do everything and never has a real challenge.

Laughably bad.