Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I got a few of those for the first time in the last couple of days (Chinese titles), and I had to decline them to make the notification disappear from the inbox even after I hit "delete and mark as spam". Now the spammer knows I exist oh nooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I didn't mean to turn airplay on, and now I can't figure out how to turn it off! clicking the blue circle just brings up the sound preferences menu instead of graying it out again - help?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I didn't mean to turn airplay on, and now I can't figure out how to turn it off! clicking the blue circle just brings up the sound preferences menu instead of graying it out again - help?

Choose the internal/desired output when you click the blue circle (mine's called "Internal Speakers") , alternatively go into Sound Preferences (bottom menu options) and choose the output there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok, yeah this is what I see, and there's no airplay icon, so I assume it's not actually doing anything. just don't get why it's blue in the control center now

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

I had already granted whole drive access, but no joy.

Your solution worked so thank you! But it wasn't quite what I wanted as it meant that my terminal always started in "notes",

I've found that adding "setopt auto_cd" overrides the permissions issue somehow. I just need to add cd before entering a directory, which is annoying but still better than before.

EDIT: drat, spoke too soon. Neither solution lets me jump to the notes directory from any arbitrary directory just by typing "notes". It only works from a higher directory.

I have an alias setup to SSH into a work system, and here's my setup. It works from whatever directory I'm in. The .zshrc file is in your user directory, or you'd just have to create it if it's not there already.
code:
USERNAME@My-MacBook ~ % cat .zshrc
alias jump="ssh USERNAME@jump.WORK.com"
So you should be able to setup an alias for the command "notes" to "cd /path/to/dir" and be all set. You may need to resource that file, or log out/in for it to take effect though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is there a simple free program that will let me edit the text in a PDF? I don't understand how such a simple feature seems to be cartelized.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'd love to get my Outlook calendar syncing with my Apple devices' calendar. My organization uses PCs, but they let me use Outlook on my iPhone. I'd rather not add my work account on my iPhone as this would provide them with control over my personal device. Any ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does your work let you share your Exchange calendar outside of the organisation? I have my work calendar (as a read-only feed) on my iPhone in this way, I subscribed to the ICS feed in my Google Calendar and then it appeared on my iPhone as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'd love to get my Outlook calendar syncing with my Apple devices' calendar. My organization uses PCs, but they let me use Outlook on my iPhone. I'd rather not add my work account on my iPhone as this would provide them with control over my personal device. Any ideas?

It all depends on the work mdm stance, if they demand enrolling in the work mdm you won't be able to connect otherwise. Outlook app should be able to add work accounts without full device enroll, did you test installing and adding your work email there?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Goddamn, development on Open Core Legacy Patcher has been suspended temporarily as one of the main developers has to pause to help his family in the Ukraine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do they let you use Outlook 365's web version? I have a homescreen shortcut to that on my iPhone for emergencies and it works well enough as a "web app"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Just curious if anyone who uses iTerm can tell me how the "inactive" window coloring is set in the profile. I feel like I've tried every color option but have had no luck changing the background color (the lighter purple in the background of the left split).

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

nexxai posted:

Just curious if anyone who uses iTerm can tell me how the "inactive" window coloring is set in the profile. I feel like I've tried every color option but have had no luck changing the background color (the lighter purple in the background of the left split).

I think this is via Appearance > Dimming > Dim inactive split panes. There's a slider to control the dimming amount.

Not quite what you're asking for but might help?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Ragle Gumm posted:

I think this is via Appearance > Dimming > Dim inactive split panes. There's a slider to control the dimming amount.

Not quite what you're asking for but might help?

Holy poo poo, this is exactly it. Thank you!

Do you want platinum or something? This has been driving me insane for months.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

nexxai posted:

Holy poo poo, this is exactly it. Thank you!

Do you want platinum or something? This has been driving me insane for months.

Ah, no need for that (but thanks). Glad to hear the above solved the problem.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Anyone know how to set an M1 Macbook Pro's screen to 1920x1080? It can support that resolution when attached to a TV via HDMI, but I just want to set it there without the TV. I'm doing some screen capture and would like the resolution to be a standard ratio.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
In Firefox and Chrome, control tab used to switch tabs. It seems they updated this, because now it selects page elements, not switch tabs.

Anyone know how to switch these to the old behaviour? I can use option command and the arrow keys to switch but that's not convenient.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

the_lion posted:

In Firefox and Chrome, control tab used to switch tabs. It seems they updated this, because now it selects page elements, not switch tabs.

Anyone know how to switch these to the old behaviour? I can use option command and the arrow keys to switch but that's not convenient.

In Firefox, it's the first setting in the preferences under 'Tabs' (as of 97.0b6).

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Quackles posted:

In Firefox, it's the first setting in the preferences under 'Tabs' (as of 97.0b6).

Yup, I've clicked that switch. I'm in 97.02, but still having no luck. Same with Chrome 98.0.4758.109.

Could be just a glitch they hopefully update.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there a simple free program that will let me edit the text in a PDF? I don't understand how such a simple feature seems to be cartelized.

PDF’s are a nightmare in that they can be a container format for all sorts of bullshit; editable text, rasterized text, JavaScript/XDF fields, etc, etc.

Preview at the very least will let you draw and annotate over almost anything on a PDF, so i'd try that first depending on what you want to do. If you’re trying to change the actual text in the document, that all comes down to how the original document was prepared. Acrobat DC is unfortunately the most flexible. I’ve also had ok luck with PDF Expert, but I think that’s paid as well.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 5, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Anyone know how to set an M1 Macbook Pro's screen to 1920x1080? It can support that resolution when attached to a TV via HDMI, but I just want to set it there without the TV. I'm doing some screen capture and would like the resolution to be a standard ratio.
Can you set the display option to Scaled? Sometimes you have to hold Option to get the non-standard resolutions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Weird Safari question, but anyone have any clue as to why when I start to type "goog" into my browser URL bar it automatically autocompletes google.co.il?

Like, I'm in Canada, have nothing in my history which would even remotely tie me to Israel. I've never visited that specific google domain in my life as far as I know, but it's consistently the first thing that Safari autocompletes.

I don't particularly CARE, but I'm just so confused ..

e: nothing in my bookmarks, nothing in my history other than when I clicked through it today... Oh well :confused:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No external vpn or dns services running?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

lord funk posted:

You can use BetterDummy to add a fake 1080p monitor then enable display mirroring, its real dumb such a workaround is required.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lord funk posted:

See if EasyRes offers it as an option?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there an eBook management app like Calibre that doesn't have a completely dogshit interface?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Is there an eBook management app like Calibre that doesn't have a completely dogshit interface?

What's wrong with the interface?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Have you used it? It is possibly the worst-designed app I have ever seen on macOS.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Have you used it? It is possibly the worst-designed app I have ever seen on macOS.
You're not wrong, I assume it's what comes of trying to write a macOS app almost entirely in Python. I'd love for somebody to make a normal-looking version of Calibre as well, but TBH I only actually load it up once in a while to add/sync something.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-web

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah this is what I use.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

I've used it for years, on Linux, Mac, and Windows, to organize hundreds of eBooks and never had a problem using it. The interface is _ugly_, but it's not hard to use.

I'm curious to know your issue with it. Do you struggle to upload books? Is it too hard to get them onto your device? Or, do you simply not like the aesthetic?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why is this a webapp? Why do I need to create a virtual environment to set this up? Why are nerds like this?

Armauk posted:

I've used it for years, on Linux, Mac, and Windows, to organize hundreds of eBooks and never had a problem using it. The interface is _ugly_, but it's not hard to use.

I'm curious to know your issue with it. Do you struggle to upload books? Is it too hard to get them onto your device? Or, do you simply not like the aesthetic?
Please drop the patronizing poo poo. The issue here goes far beyond an ugly interface - it takes a task that should be exceedingly simple and easy to organize information about and buries it under an abominable UI. Confusing, useless, and even contradictory features and settings are exposed to the user. And basic features like eBook conversion and device uploads don't "just work" OOB without a ton of configuration and browsing of forum posts.

This app should work like Paprika and instead it works like FileMatrix. It's especially offensive that the function of the app caters to people who are far less likely to be computer touchers, and yet whoever designed this turd managed to make something actively counterintuitive even to those of us who are accustomed to dealing with bad UI.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 12, 2022

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

at a guess, so that you can manage your ebook collection on a NAS, like with plex or something :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

at a guess, so that you can manage your ebook collection on a NAS, like with plex or something :shrug:
Plex manages streaming for the largest type of files an ordinary user stores. Ebooks are like, a megabyte. Why would I manage that on a NAS instead of locally?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I store my calibre library on a NAS to make it available to my network.

Also, I read on my Kindle or with Chunky on my iPad so I can just use the nas as a source to download books to the devices.

If you really wanted, you could just use the Books app. I did that with textbooks so they would be cloud available on all my devices.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 12, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's just insane to me that there is no "Paprika for ebooks," a simple Mac app that just works without forcing you to jump through hoops, the way Mac apps are supposed to. There's the Apple Books app but that is really for reading eBooks on your Mac and not so much for managing your library and putting it on a device.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Aside from the interface being more Microsoft-utilitarian, I have no idea what “jumping through hoops” you’re talking about for Calibre. You just drag the executable to Applications and launch it, it makes a library folder automatically and you drag-and-drop books into the big window. It’s not like you have to open up terminal and do Linux

My complaint is that they don’t have an apple silicon binary yet.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

On a related, but exact opposite note, is it possible to use Books to manage audio books (or anything really) yet without it demanding that everything be available on the local drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It's just insane to me that there is no "Paprika for ebooks," a simple Mac app that just works without forcing you to jump through hoops, the way Mac apps are supposed to. There's the Apple Books app but that is really for reading eBooks on your Mac and not so much for managing your library and putting it on a device.

Books syncs via iCloud though, doesn't it?

https://support.apple.com/guide/boo...n%20your%20Mac.

It's probably fair to guess OP has already tried Books, but I've found it functional enough for my purposes. I am more of an Audible person though.