Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CainFortea posted:

Figures that even in the middle of a long standing ammo shortage, still no one is buying remington ammo so they have a million rounds to send.

How does loving Remington not have a verified checkmark??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flikken posted:

How does loving Remington not have a verified checkmark??

It's the Bay Area/Silicon Valley techbro mindset. Individual fascists are fine because freeze peach, but firearms companies are icky and bad because guns are icky and bad.

I probably sound more :freep: from saying that then I meant to, but it's almost midnight and I'm too tired to try and reword it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dude shouldn’t have given away his status. Probably should have been on a more equal footing aesthetically

Like American soldiers in Vietnam

VDV Troops watching their general get dragged so they don’t have to do it themselves: “oh thank god”

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I'm kind of curious, what are the odds on putting a 1m bounty per kg of Pu or U235 actually getting results at this point?

I mean back when I was in in the late 90's the joke was that we didn't have to worry about the Russians because they drank the alcohol out of their compasses....

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
This is eerie as hell. This looks like all the townsfolk set up a barricade to slow/stop the Russians, and I cannot see any heavy weapons about as they prepare to stop a probable armorerd advance head on... Hopefully they had some sort of ambush set up, or a lot of those guys are probably dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwNzq2iC-nU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

psydude posted:

The 2014 sanctions were barely sanctions. We quite literally froze their foreign currency reserves this time around.

And yet they created definite shortages which the Russian domestic industry couldn't meet, and which pushed Putin and his circle to tighten the noose around the Russian economy to push out foreign investment while enriching Putin and his circle.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
https://www.instagram.com/tv/Catzr-xAun7/?utm_medium=copy_link

Helicopter getting twatted by a manpad, no bodies.

MonkeyLibFront fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 5, 2022

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
That's from 2014 though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

NATO appears to be logisticsing the gently caress out of the resupply effort while Western Ukraine isn't being harassed by Russian fighters yetz:

https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1499878290928066564

Germany isn't sending stingers.

We're sending Strelas.

As in 40-year-old Strelas from forgotten GDR stores.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've seen reports that Germany is also sending Stingers. The Strelas were rusty and unusable unfortunately.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

-Anders posted:

That's from 2014 though.

Is it? So much being misreported, I'll edit now

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Germany isn't sending stingers.

We're sending Strelas.

As in 40-year-old Strelas from forgotten GDR stores.

Considering we are seeing the militias carrying Mosins, I am sure any heavy weapons they can get will be welcomed.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Is it? So much being misreported, I'll edit now

I was wrong. It's from this morning. It was in error due to a mistranslation

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ganglysumbia posted:

Considering we are seeing the militias carrying Mosins, I am sure any heavy weapons they can get will be welcomed.

https://twitter.com/phozz4/status/1499296159537549315?s=21

The german army had heavy reservations on those stocks due to age

edit: another interesting message

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1499991645298774020?s=21

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 5, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

In the German military's defense they have no idea what a well maintained, functional weapon looks like

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

German military's defense

Well they aren't allowed to have an offense any more

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

That may be the dumbest take I read in a couple of days. Pretending this was some secretive attempt at sabotage when the whole country was pretty much going "uuuuuhhh, these are like 40 years old and might not work", public, military and government officials included.

Guess we've fallen victim to our own bragging about our ~~PROFESSIONAL MILITARY~~ biting us in the rear end by the whole world seeing we have poo poo equipment and no ammo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Video of helicopter getting taken out by a MANPAD

From reddit. It's not technically graphic but they dead.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That may be the dumbest take I read in a couple of days. Pretending this was some secretive attempt at sabotage when the whole country was pretty much going "uuuuuhhh, these are like 40 years old and might not work", public, military and government officials included.

Guess we've fallen victim to our own bragging about our ~~PROFESSIONAL MILITARY~~ biting us in the rear end by the whole world seeing we have poo poo equipment and no ammo.

I think the message of "air transport cargo space is limited, don't send us broken poo poo" might be lost in translation from Ukrainian to twitter snippets. I think opening the crates before shipping could have been a quick way to assess that the stocks are hosed rather than using UA army as an impromptu waste disposal.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I'm assuming a bean counter made the decision from a spreadsheet and everything was moving too quickly for someone to go "warte ein moment". Lol sabotage

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They knew that the stuff was garbage, people weren't allowed to enter the warehouse without masks bc the crates were so moldy. It's kinda baffling and embarrassing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

I'm assuming a bean counter made the decision from a spreadsheet and everything was moving too quickly for someone to go "warte ein moment". Lol sabotage

If it's anything like getting internet in Germany, German arms dealing probably requires the end user to first file a written complaint with the appropriate form, call a customer service line that hangs up on you, and then wait 6-8 weeks for a new MANPAD to arrive.

e: Failure to follow each of these steps sequentially will require you to start over.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 5, 2022

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

fknlo posted:

Video of helicopter getting taken out by a MANPAD

From reddit. It's not technically graphic but they dead.

This is a sign of the times but that looks pretty fake to me, something about the particle effects and how the helicopter doesn't move at all on the Y axis before it gets hit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Generation Internet posted:

This is a sign of the times but that looks pretty fake to me, something about the particle effects and how the helicopter doesn't move at all on the Y axis before it gets hit.

It's confirmed pretty thoroughly now and the footage has been geolocated by bellingcat. It looks slightly fake because the footage is being shot by a prepositioned observer drone, which means everything about this was pre-planned -- the Ukrainians had enough intel and lead time to set this shot up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The fire and smoke look too good for this to be fake.

Here's a screenshot I took just now in the most recently released flight sim available. The smoke and fire look nowhere near as good in the video.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

bird food bathtub posted:

It was called Motorpool Monday for us. My POG-rear end computer toucher MOS was out in the motor pool on Monday for flag formation checking oil, starting engines, moving vehicles two feet to the right then left.
Instantly reminded of a morning in 4ID's motor pool several years back. Don't forget the other bits like sweeping and weeding.

A Lieutenant Colonel claimed to us in the motor pool that Russia had sophisticated spy satellites that could see the weeds growing in our motor pool, and recognize them a a poor state of readiness allowing them to immediately launch the attack. I strained to detect a hint of sarcasm during his speech but gave up.

It didn't help the G2 fetishized the Russian military after reading the material Leavenworth was pumping out since 2014.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
After 2014, a bunch of the assessments going around the Army were essentially, supremely simplified, “Not as dysfunctional as after 90s collapse, dangerous/desperate, but 2014 shows their logistical tail and ability to sustain operations is bad”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The western media has been silent about the Azov Battalion (the largest unit in the Ukrainian Army) releasing a video of one of their members cowardly gunning down a soldier from Russia’s de-Nazification force at his most vulnerable moment.

I would spoiler this for :nws: but people need to see the truth.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The western media has been silent about the Azov Battalion (the largest unit in the Ukrainian Army) releasing a video of one of their members cowardly gunning down a soldier from Russia’s de-Nazification force at his most vulnerable moment.

:lol:

McNally posted:

Here's a screenshot I took just now in the most recently released flight sim available. The smoke and fire look nowhere near as good in the video.

Is that Falcon 3.0?

Anyways, no idea if this is true but the mental image of a babushka loving up a drone like this is too good to not post it
https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1500075457798189057?s=20&t=jXBHVhKeAVlD4RqU5o1y9g

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 5, 2022

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

:lol:

Is that Falcon 3.0?

Anyways, no idea if this is true but the mental image of a babushka loving up a drone like this is too good to not post it
https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1500075457798189057?s=20&t=jXBHVhKeAVlD4RqU5o1y9g

I assume that's https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347550/Tiny_Combat_Arena/ which intentionally looks like a flight sim from like 1994

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

For Kyiv, Yakov?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

McNally posted:

Games like this are exactly why it's so hard to believe everything you see on the internet.

MicroProse coming back just in time for the war just shows how they've been playing the long game!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Downtown Lviv

https://twitter.com/joelw_762/status/1499779442616545283

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Is that Falcon 3.0?

It's Tiny Combat Arena

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Basticle posted:

I assume that's https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347550/Tiny_Combat_Arena/ which intentionally looks like a flight sim from like 1994

Holy poo poo thanks for this, F15 Strike Eagle in glorious 4k is every dream I've ever had

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

shame on an IGA posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this, F15 Strike Eagle in glorious 4k is every dream I've ever had

Oh that’s amazing finally a modern one that isn’t a hyper-realism turbo nerd one or super simple arcade shooter

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Generation Internet posted:

If it's fake then someone spent a few hundred thousand dollars minimum on manhours to generate it, that's high end work requiring a large sim farm, too much small details that usually signal fake.

(I worked in the industry for 24+ years, including ILM a few times)

I'll point out one dead giveaway of fakes:

- fakes usually have monochrome smoke, that' is it's all the same values, not mixed opacity/colors* in the video[eg the smoke in air vs after it hits the ground and the fuel goes up after the impact, different values/ranges]
-all the small dirt hits from debris hitting the field.

It seems off because it's done footage with robotic/rc camera motion, which seems odd because this would imply that they had time to set up the shot, which would also imply that the Russians are flying the same route over and over again or flying in a really long staggered out formation.

*- if you got months of time and a huge farm to run fluid sims you can replicate this but it usually takes too much time, and people who can do this level of work isn't doing it for free.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 5, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

It's Tiny Combat Arena

Basticle posted:

Welp, BUY.

In other news,
https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/stat...agenumber%3D622

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Big K of Justice posted:

If it's fake then someone spent a few hundred thousand dollars minimum on manhours to generate it, that's high end work requiring a large sim farm, too much small details that usually signal fake.

(I worked in the industry for 24+ years, including ILM a few times)

I'll point out one dead giveaway of fakes:

-monochrome smoke, that' is it's all the same values, not mixed opacity/colors [eg the smoke in air vs after it hits the ground and the fuel goes up after the impact, different values/ranges]
-all the small dirt hits from debris hitting the field.

It seems off because it's done footage with robotic/rc camera motion, which seems odd because this would imply that they had time to set up the shot, which would also imply that the Russians are flying the same route over and over again or flying in a really long staggered out formation.

I know the poo poo out of video and that’s not from 2014. It couldn’t even be an expensive fake from 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Israel does seem like a country that could play the honest broker for both of them. A negotiated settlement is still likely the best outcome, so I'm taking any hints that point in that direction as a good sing.