Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My deeply decent person avatar is raising questions etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Friends, I'm like 8 pages behind but I thought that you should all see this pin badge urgently:

Who is this for? Is there literally anybody that it wouldn't annoy? :psyduck:

Crystal Irish flag clutch pin.

https://www.butlerandwilson.co.uk/collections/trending/products/copy-of-art-deco-stork-brooch

Now, Butler & Wilson came up in the last few days for some reason. Was it on here?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Friends, I'm like 8 pages behind but I thought that you should all see this pin badge urgently:

Looks like Ireland finally got it's stolen crown jewels back. :chaostrump:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd wear it, but I really like antagonising people

Sorry about that, thread

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Leo Varadkar?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My only accent story is the time in a pub when I was angrily accused (the guy seemed almost ready to start a fight over it) of putting on a "fake Yorkshire accent". In Halifax. Where I was born. And at that point had lived my whole life.

I've now lived on the south coast for more than half my life, so the guy would probably try to deck me on the spot. (Meanwhile my southerner wife says that I don't have a noticeable accent, but whenever I read to our son and say "bath" or "path" rather than "barth" or "parth", hoo boy...)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwar_steve/status/1499805890119151619

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmao her in that outfit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Very unrealistic that Putin would let anyone sit that close to him.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Re: Accents, I grew up in Bucks. I used to sometimes get called called posh at school (in the same town I grew up) but then my wife says I sound common, and she doesn't sound posh to me, so [extremely centrist voice] I must be doing something right[/extremely centrist voice].

I dunno. I don't think I have a particularly strong accent one way or another. People can't generally tell where I'm from, anyway.

I do probably sound somewhat like this guy: https://www.dialectsarchive.com/england-95

That's a pretty cool site btw, it has sample recordings of people from all over England: https://www.dialectsarchive.com/england and also tons of other countries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oh dear me posted:

A Dutch friend told me he loved the way you could tell Wallace and Gromit were English even with the sound off. He gave a few examples but the one I remember was pulling down one's bottom lip when asking if people would like a cup of tea. ('I don't do that!' I thought, before I said it in a mirror.)

I'd love to hear about the English mannerisms of the character who doesn't even have spoken lines.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd love to hear about the English mannerisms of the character who doesn't even have spoken lines.

Well if Wallace is English you can infer things about his dog. That is, if you believe humans can "own" animals. I guess dogs don't have real passports so maybe they're just stateless

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’ve seen my fair share of terrible takes in The Mail but this one really is eye wateringly poo poo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well if Wallace is English you can infer things about his dog. That is, if you believe humans can "own" animals. I guess dogs don't have real passports so maybe they're just stateless

Dogs definitely need passports if you're taking them abroad, so they probably do have nationalities.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Very unrealistic that Putin would let anyone sit that close to him.

Yes, you'd have to be a very close and trusted friend and ally of Putin to sit that close to him.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Dogs definitely need passports if you're taking them abroad, so they probably do have nationalities.

If you're a sit-izen of everywhere, you're a sit-izen of nowhere

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gromit does entire soliloquies with his eyebrows, and I'm fairly sure they motion-captured Patricia Routledge to get them right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Yes, you'd have to be a very close and trusted friend and ally of Putin to sit that close to him.

He's deathly afraid of COVID, he sits metres away from anyone, regardless of how trusted they are.

But yes, I got the joke thank you, I was being a pedant

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ros_hutchinson/status/1500029971523411969

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gromit does entire soliloquies with his eyebrows, and I'm fairly sure they motion-captured Patricia Routledge to get them right.

I felt like I was sounding sarcastic when I didn't mean to, because Grommit is a masterpiece of a character who says so much without talking.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Patricia Routledge

An icon

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://mobile.twitter.com/afneil/status/1499844396140879874

Andrew Neil is being bodied. He asked for evidence, and the comments are full of such evidence of Corbyn criticising Putin. He's since vanished and hasn't responded to a single one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Whenever i see his twitter handle i interpret it as "neil as gently caress"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
2Neil4Me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"a fucken neil", like "a tinfoil conspiracy rag has denied a connection between HIV and Aids, lol what a fucken neil" or "Cuntsville University has said we need to platform Holocaust deniers, like a fucken neil"

smellmycheese posted:

I’ve seen my fair share of terrible takes in The Mail but this one really is eye wateringly poo poo

Have they found out the gender identity of the people that started the war yet? :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1500056186560950276?s=19

I wonder why she doesn't consider Hamza British it is a mystery

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Isn't that also basically the relationship between the UK Guardian and the US Guardian in a nutshell?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I felt like I was sounding sarcastic when I didn't mean to, because Grommit is a masterpiece of a character who says so much without talking.

You should have posted a picture of your eyebrows - or a ridge of plasticine shaped a bit like an eyebrow - to help me read the meaning of your post better.

(Seriously, how *can* they transmit so much information with just one bit of plasticine? Nick Park and the rest of the animators should get some sort of collective Best Actor Oscar on his behalf, it makes Bob Hoskins at the end of Long Good Friday look like a Moai)

Again, they should use the bits of Keeping Up Appearances when she's on the phone as teaching exercises for actors. It's actually annoying that Roy Clarke never trusted her and her eyebrows enough to completely dispense with the "Repeating what the person on the other end of the line has just said" schtick, because you could practically lip-read the conversation just from her expression.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also she's American lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hadley Freeman was literally born in New York City

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the real arrogant, condescending and sometimes ignorant Americans were the Hershey Freemen we met along the way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dabir posted:

Hadley Freeman was literally born in New York City

I can't stand Freeman on the land.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's deleted!

replacement tweet:

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/1500112762642513924

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Weird, she claims to have deleted the thread because she wasn't clear, but the only thing she's changed is her assertion that the hosts are both American? 🤔🤔🤔

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don't believe she's listened to word one of the podcast and has just gone in two footed and hosed it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Always helpful to read "wasn't clear" as "people called me on my poo poo and I don't like it"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Always helpful to read "wasn't clear" as "people called me on my poo poo and I don't like it"

And all the replies pulling her up have disappeared as a result.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The bitmoji avatar wearing 'deal with it' sunglasses has very strong Riley's Theorem vibes: Someone condescendingly reading to you from a book they're holding upside down.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seperate post, seperate issue: octopus have broken the cartel and are offering £50 below cap prices.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/octopus-energy-is-first-supplier-to-announce-customers-will-pay-50-below-the-price-cap-1497895

Apparently if you can find someone who's already on octopus, you can get a referral code that gives both of you a £50 credit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seperate post, seperate issue: octopus have broken the cartel and are offering £50 below cap prices.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/octopus-energy-is-first-supplier-to-announce-customers-will-pay-50-below-the-price-cap-1497895

Apparently if you can find someone who's already on octopus, you can get a referral code that gives both of you a £50 credit.

I've got a code - PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I have one also