Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Sounds more like a thief demanding a ransom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Happy Valentines dog thread, from Scout

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

I think our one year old has learned how to pee inside without squatting and he doesn't even stop playing. He's always squatted and still does outside, he's just disguising it now so that he can keep playing without having to stop and go outside, and if we don't see it he gets away with it. The only way to tell is if you happen to see the pee stream because he gives no other indication at all. We'd been doing really well with potty training but he's evolved into his final form and I don't know if we can defeat him. Back to freeze dried liver rewards for peeing outside I suppose.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
My God, Cosmo's been a little rear end in a top hat this week. He's got so much energy we can't really do much with because his second vaccination isn't until Friday. He leaps across the room in order to bite me and won't come in from the garden no matter what I do, having figured out that he's far more nimble and quick than I am and I have no hope of catching him.

Our only saving grace is that he chills the gently caress out the instant we put him in his crate. He loves it in there!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

acidx posted:

I think our one year old has learned how to pee inside without squatting and he doesn't even stop playing. He's always squatted and still does outside, he's just disguising it now so that he can keep playing without having to stop and go outside, and if we don't see it he gets away with it. The only way to tell is if you happen to see the pee stream because he gives no other indication at all. We'd been doing really well with potty training but he's evolved into his final form and I don't know if we can defeat him. Back to freeze dried liver rewards for peeing outside I suppose.

Instead of being a malicious thing, it might be a medical thing. Some young dogs get leaky when they get really excited and eventually grow out of it. Sometimes an infection can make them pee unexpectedly or more frequently. Personally, I would call or email my vet if my pup suddenly started urinating while doing other activities without seeming to stop or notice.

Adrianics posted:

My God, Cosmo's been a little rear end in a top hat this week. He's got so much energy we can't really do much with because his second vaccination isn't until Friday. He leaps across the room in order to bite me and won't come in from the garden no matter what I do, having figured out that he's far more nimble and quick than I am and I have no hope of catching him.

Our only saving grace is that he chills the gently caress out the instant we put him in his crate. He loves it in there!

Brain work wears them out a lot more than exercise and there are certainly ways to take him out in the world safely before he's had all his shots. Going people watching from the car window or safe carrier is a great way to socialize a puppy, better than letting them run around greeting everyone in my opinion. My dog still loves coming with me to walmart so she can sit in the car watching everywhen while I run errands. There are also often puppy classes that welcome pups without their full vaccine series as long as they are as up to date as they can be for their age. They make sure to sanitize everything to make it safe for everyone but getting that early socialization in is really important.

Besides that doing some puppy push ups (sit-down-sit-down), recall practice, silly tricks, anything you can train him really, will help wear out his busy brain.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Instead of being a malicious thing, it might be a medical thing. Some young dogs get leaky when they get really excited and eventually grow out of it. Sometimes an infection can make them pee unexpectedly or more frequently. Personally, I would call or email my vet if my pup suddenly started urinating while doing other activities without seeming to stop or notice.

This definitely but also 1 year olds are surly teenagers and he could be testing limits. Just be firm with training and as long as it isn’t a medical issue he shouldn’t grow out of it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Quorum posted:

You could try dropping some good treats on the ground where she'll get them as soon as she gets home. If she's at all food motivated she'll pick up pretty quickly that there's good things waiting for her.

You mean like leaving them outside the door? She's not very food oriented. Just enough to move 3 meters if I offer something.

I am so loving pissed at this rear end in a top hat dog right now. She will not move at all, she will just stand there like a idiot, just staring at nothing. She will happily stand there for 15 minutes if I don't drag her. I just had to carry her home from the furthest point on our walk.

Interview at a daycare next door, no space right now, we'll call you, if we don't call us in 2 months. And my loving boss is talking about having everyone back at least 3 days a week because apparently everyone loves commuting and being in the office. Girlfriends new job is 9-5, mon-fri so I feel like I have full responsibility, I can't wait until I actually have something I need to do at work. Friends and family who lined up to assure me they would gladly help with the dog are suddenly super busy once they realize how much work a puppy is.

It's all going to work out and at least the teething and poo poo is done, but gently caress if I don't feel a tiny bit like just tying her to a light pole and let her see how loving funny she thinks it is being outside.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Something we've considered, and I'll bring it up with the vet at his visit this weekend. He's not peeing more frequently, not peeing any less in amount, and doesn't seem to be in any pain when going, so I think he's just testing his boundaries.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Brain work wears them out a lot more than exercise and there are certainly ways to take him out in the world safely before he's had all his shots. Going people watching from the car window or safe carrier is a great way to socialize a puppy, better than letting them run around greeting everyone in my opinion. My dog still loves coming with me to walmart so she can sit in the car watching everywhen while I run errands. There are also often puppy classes that welcome pups without their full vaccine series as long as they are as up to date as they can be for their age. They make sure to sanitize everything to make it safe for everyone but getting that early socialization in is really important.

Besides that doing some puppy push ups (sit-down-sit-down), recall practice, silly tricks, anything you can train him really, will help wear out his busy brain.

Yeah we've got his first puppy class on Monday :)

Taking him for a walk in his sling carrier knackers him out but it's difficult to do because he's already almost outgrown it

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Sistergodiva posted:

Did you find anything out?

Coco (7.5 month Westie) has been throwing up or heaving every so often the last weeks.
Had a vet appointment by phone and switched to a special food, but it doesn't seem to have mattered.

Going to book an in person appointment. The other day she played with another dog and ran so hard she puked. This was on an empty stomach. Problem is that she will not eat anything until at least after lunch, so trying to feed her some of her food later in the evening.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this!

Vet said it was bilious vomiting syndrome. Essentially he was digesting all his food overnight and his empty stomach was causing him to puke bile due to his stomach acid.

We move his dinner time back 1 hour to 7:45pm and give him 125cal worth of treats (in his case a large milkbone) right before bed at ~11:10 or so. Since then he's been nearly perfect only horking once. Vet mentioned if that had not worked the next step would have been to administer famotidine(Pepcid): one 10mg tablet with the late night snack. I hope this helps with Coco!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Rev posted:

Sorry I'm just now seeing this!

Vet said it was bilious vomiting syndrome. Essentially he was digesting all his food overnight and his empty stomach was causing him to puke bile due to his stomach acid.

We move his dinner time back 1 hour to 7:45pm and give him 125cal worth of treats (in his case a large milkbone) right before bed at ~11:10 or so. Since then he's been nearly perfect only horking once. Vet mentioned if that had not worked the next step would have been to administer famotidine(Pepcid): one 10mg tablet with the late night snack. I hope this helps with Coco!

One of my dogs has issues with this as well. Splitting their total daily meal intake into a breakfast, small lunch, dinner, and a biscuit before bed solved it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So we've been feeding our dogs Bil-Jac Grain Free for years now because it keeps their little guts happy but it seems the price just jumped from 59 to 78 dollars for a 24 lb. bag.Hoping this isn't a permanent change but not holding my breath. Have any other foods jumped in price recently?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
The food I buy for Archie (Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy) had been ~$52 per 34 lbs. It then went out of stock in quite a few places for a few weeks before coming came back at $58 per 34 lbs. However as of yesterday it seems to have returned to $52.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
We've had our puppy 2 days, she's 16 weeks old and we are trying to crate train her for sleep at night. She's having issues peeing in the crate, possibly anxiety?
She has no problem in the crate with the door open and will happily sit in there, We've given her meals, treats, praise and toys in the crate to try to build a positive association. But if you close the door and back away far enough or leave the room, she will pace in a circle, whine and pee in a minute or two. This is 30 mins after letting her pee/poop outside.

Last night after she had peed in the crate, we changed all the bedding and cleaned her up, settled her for a while and then put her back in, she whined loudly for about 5 minutes and then went quiet, but she lasted for 3 hours with no further incidents at which point we let her out and she eliminated outside. We've tried having her crate in our bedroom and in the kitchen, but same result.
I did a test this afternoon with her, she hadnt pooped in 2 hours and wouldnt when we let her outside, I put her in the crate and moved to the other side of the room, within a minute she had pooped in the crate.

She doesn't seem to have separation anxiety in general, she can be loose on a different room/floor of the house to me and have absolutely no issues, it seems to be crate specific.

We've never crate trained a dog before so this is pretty new to us, and I cant figure out how to make it better for her. Does anyone have any advice?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ahdinko posted:

We've had our puppy 2 days

She's young, plus you completely up-ended her environment. She's going to be inconsistent as she figures stuff out again. The main thing you need to do is provide a consistent environment and consistent reinforcement when she does the right thing. She'll figure things out, you just can't expect her to figure it out in only two days.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Ahdinko posted:

We've had our puppy 2 days, she's 16 weeks old and we are trying to crate train her for sleep at night. She's having issues peeing in the crate, possibly anxiety?
She has no problem in the crate with the door open and will happily sit in there, We've given her meals, treats, praise and toys in the crate to try to build a positive association. But if you close the door and back away far enough or leave the room, she will pace in a circle, whine and pee in a minute or two. This is 30 mins after letting her pee/poop outside.

Last night after she had peed in the crate, we changed all the bedding and cleaned her up, settled her for a while and then put her back in, she whined loudly for about 5 minutes and then went quiet, but she lasted for 3 hours with no further incidents at which point we let her out and she eliminated outside. We've tried having her crate in our bedroom and in the kitchen, but same result.
I did a test this afternoon with her, she hadnt pooped in 2 hours and wouldnt when we let her outside, I put her in the crate and moved to the other side of the room, within a minute she had pooped in the crate.

She doesn't seem to have separation anxiety in general, she can be loose on a different room/floor of the house to me and have absolutely no issues, it seems to be crate specific.

We've never crate trained a dog before so this is pretty new to us, and I cant figure out how to make it better for her. Does anyone have any advice?

We're going through similar. Took like almost a week to get her to go on the pad (too cold for her outside) but when we did we through such a party for her - treats, excited good girl, playing etc, after that things got easier quick. For the crate it took a good week before she chilled out, but keeping it a steady routine helped a lot.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Make sure your crate is the right size - if it is too large than the instinct to not poo poo/piss in their nest goes away.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Make sure your crate is the right size - if it is too large than the instinct to not poo poo/piss in their nest goes away.

Absolutely this. Most dogs have an instinct not to soil their own den.

Depending on what kind of crate you have, you may be able to find (or build) a divider to create a size-appropriate space. Then you can move/remove it as the dog grows. I know a couple of people who fixed their puppy's "bed-wetting" issues by simply making the crate space smaller.

But also your puppy is very young and has only been there for a few days. You're going to get accidents. Don't stress. Even with no crate changes she'll probably sort it out in a few weeks if you're consistent with routine and praise.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

We really struggle to cut our dog's claws. He doesn't like it - doesn't seem particularly scared of it, doesn't seem to be hurt by it, but he's clear he doesn't want us doing it. Food and treats, no matter how special or high value, don't make a difference - as with the rest of his life if he's got his mind made up he doesn't give a poo poo about food.

Things we've tried:
- Food (see above)
- Getting him used to the clippers - leaving them on the floor and letting him explore them, holding them in our hands whilst we feed him, holding them near his paws whilst we feed him.
- Doing the same for holding his paws - though he's never had any issues with this. It's only a problem when we put the clippers near them.

When you try to get the clippers near the claws he'll pull it away and can do so with enough strength that it'd have to turn into a wrestling match, which we're not about to engage in. Even if we can get in there before he objects, we can only do one or two claws before the resistance kicks in.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can address this?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

We really struggle to cut our dog's claws. He doesn't like it - doesn't seem particularly scared of it, doesn't seem to be hurt by it, but he's clear he doesn't want us doing it. Food and treats, no matter how special or high value, don't make a difference - as with the rest of his life if he's got his mind made up he doesn't give a poo poo about food.

Things we've tried:
- Food (see above)
- Getting him used to the clippers - leaving them on the floor and letting him explore them, holding them in our hands whilst we feed him, holding them near his paws whilst we feed him.
- Doing the same for holding his paws - though he's never had any issues with this. It's only a problem when we put the clippers near them.

When you try to get the clippers near the claws he'll pull it away and can do so with enough strength that it'd have to turn into a wrestling match, which we're not about to engage in. Even if we can get in there before he objects, we can only do one or two claws before the resistance kicks in.

Also interested in responses to this, I have not been able to convince Apollo that clippers are okay. What we wind up having to do is take him to the vet, which.... :sigh: At least they get done.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I gave up immediately on clipping my dog's nails after he squirmed and I drew blood on the second nail I clipped.

I just take him to Petsmart grooming and pay the $10 for a nail trim. :shrug:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Our vet said we could always take him there to get it done but I'd always felt it was the sort of thing I should be able to do. They said that it would help to walk him on concrete more but it's just so inconvenient compared to the country paths we usually go to.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dogs don;t generally like you touching their paws and holding them tight and bringing things near them.
We tried one of those grinders for Brisket's paws and the noise was a no go and I don't trust myself with a clipper so he just goes to the vet where it's like 5~10 bucks (five because he's on their pet plan).
Also, you can have them run on the street for like a mile or so a week to grind them down naturally.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
What are the cliff notes on finding a good behavioralist? Need to work on some aggression issues towards other dogs, separation anxiety, and settling.

Asking my vet is not an option because they are a high volume Banfield location (all other options are not taking new patients).

I am half considering a board and train scenario.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

What are the cliff notes on finding a good behavioralist? Need to work on some aggression issues towards other dogs, separation anxiety, and settling.

Asking my vet is not an option because they are a high volume Banfield location (all other options are not taking new patients).

I am half considering a board and train scenario.

Be very, very, very careful with board and trains. Dogs have been horrifically abused and even died in those situations. Even the ones that aren't awful primarily use positive punishment which isn't recommended for aggression, and separation anxiety is something that is going to need to be addressed in your home.

What you should probably look for is a veterinary behaviorist. You can search for a board-certified one here. It's going to be expensive (my last visit was $700 but included full bloodwork, urinalysis, physical exam, and a bunch of meds, not just his usual check in) but probably cheaper and more effective than any board and train option. They are absolutely worth the money though! And a lot of them are now doing virtual consults if you aren't close enough to go to one in person. I've been seeing my veterinary behaviorist for 11 years now and she honestly saved my dog's life and continues to be a huge help.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Your dog is an adorable cinnamon roll and I appreciate the picture :kimchi:

Trimming nails is a huge struggle for a lot of dogs but you can work through it! I highly recommend Deb Jone's Cooperative Care book. She also has an online course just about nails here if you like a class format with videos. This will give you all the info you need to slowly start working up to being able to trim his nails. At first you might only get one or two done. That's ok! The key is only doing what he's comfortable with so he's not building worse and worse associations with nail trimming.

My cattle dog hated having her nails dremeled and I made it a huge big issue and it was super damaging to our relationship. I took a step back and made a plan and after a year I can trim all of her nails at once with no problems. I've even quicked them a couple times and she didn't opt out of nail trimming. We're still working on bringing back the dremel but we'll get there.

One thing that allowed me to take that time was teaching her to scratch on a board with some sandpaper so she could do her own nails. My dog loves doing the scratchboard! She can bring her nails back in 3 or 4 swipes and she keeps them way shorter than I could with the trimmers. Her back nails are naturally pretty short so I save those for when I do trimming sessions but you can teach back nails too. Her dewclaws are the only tricky part. I highly recommend it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzLtIlgWZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8i1m-qoKy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk97jKF9I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVkZ_kBzPk

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
How timely! We are starting the scratch board this week!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

One thing that allowed me to take that time was teaching her to scratch on a board with some sandpaper so she could do her own nails. My dog loves doing the scratchboard! She can bring her nails back in 3 or 4 swipes and she keeps them way shorter than I could with the trimmers. Her back nails are naturally pretty short so I save those for when I do trimming sessions but you can teach back nails too. Her dewclaws are the only tricky part. I highly recommend it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMzLtIlgWZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8i1m-qoKy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk97jKF9I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVkZ_kBzPk

This looks pretty interesting, thanks. I also like your description of him as a cinnamon roll!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How are your dogs with being left with other people?

When I leave Coco at my sister's or our friend's house I can just leave and she doesn't notice or care. As long as she isn't alone I think she would be fine with anyone.

Our friend's golden whined at the door for an hour before settling when we had her here.

I wonder if it's a breed, age or individual thing.

Coco is a 8 month westie and her friend Sally is a 3 year old golden retriever.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Goldens are sort of known for having extreme separation anxiety so I suspect it's a breed thing.
Just like they breed OCD into border collies

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We left Pongo with some friends overnight a month or so ago and he was the perfect house guest. Settled right in with their kids. She spotted him on the couch downstairs at one point and when they locked eyes, he just slowly, carefully got off without her saying a word. :dings:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

This is Casey. I love her so much it hurts but it would be nice if she could bring herself to poop outside.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sherlock had a dental and had to get more teeth removed. Do yourself a favor and just get a mutt. He’s on pain killers and is very high. Poor guy.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Poor Theo, he has Giardia, a skin infection of some kind, got neutered today, and also shaved cause he was so matted. Very rough first week, but hopefully he recovers well and we can stay on top of his grooming unlike his previous owner.

After he’s healed up we start working on his dog reactivity.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am currently on vacation with my dog, a 70lb 2 year old male Goldendoodle.

This trip is his first time seeing snow! He seems to enjoy it and has given no indication of displeasure or discomfort when in the snow barefoot for about half an hour at a time, so far.

I am considering going cross country skiing on a trail where he could join. This would be several hours in the snow, roughly 3 miles.

What do I need to do in order to protect my dog's paws during this activity? Is barefoot ok? Paw wax? Booties?

What should I do or look for to make sure he's comfortable and healthy?

FYI the ambient temperature will be about 28-35 degrees Fahrenheit.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

3 hours at about freezing seems fine. My 50# hounds love about freezing Temps.

Salt is the main concern with paws.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am currently on vacation with my dog, a 70lb 2 year old male Goldendoodle.

This trip is his first time seeing snow! He seems to enjoy it and has given no indication of displeasure or discomfort when in the snow barefoot for about half an hour at a time, so far.

I am considering going cross country skiing on a trail where he could join. This would be several hours in the snow, roughly 3 miles.

What do I need to do in order to protect my dog's paws during this activity? Is barefoot ok? Paw wax? Booties?

What should I do or look for to make sure he's comfortable and healthy?

FYI the ambient temperature will be about 28-35 degrees Fahrenheit.

The biggest concern is salt, so you'll be fine on that front if you stay away from roads.
The second issue with doodles is that the snow gets stuck on their paws. So wax the pads and the furs around them. Or use like pam (but they might like the taste)
If your dog stops, looks at you and is holding a paw in the air, then it's probably too cold and wants to go home but a dog that size I wouldn't worry.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Cross-posting from the veterinary thread but I'm anxious about this and hoping some dog people can provide some insight. I'm housesitting and watching a very old dog, and I'm concerned that he may have had a stroke or something. He is blind, nearly deaf, and needs a little help getting around. But a few hours ago, when I went to feed him, he wouldn't come inside and he kept falling over on his right side. I tried to pick him up and he fell over and spazzed out on the ground and couldn't get up without my help. I put him in his crate and he fell over to the right again, banging into the side of the crate. After that fall, he kept lying there even though his head was on his metal food bowl. I called his owners and let them know what's going on, and they said if he's still bad tomorrow they'll call the vet, but I'm pretty worried. He's sleeping now, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this could mean. I've never owned a dog, so I am not the most experienced person for this. Thanks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a seizure to me. Some dogs are prone to them, especially when in higher-stress situations (such as e.g. being boarded in an unfamiliar location or by unfamiliar people). But as I understand it, once the seizure passes, there's nothing to do, really. And they don't generally last long enough that immediately taking the dog to the vet makes sense, because by the time you get there, they've recovered. You can get medicine that helps prevent them, but for the most part what you do is make sure they're as comfortable as possible while it's going on.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Look up old dog vestibular disease and see if that looks like what he's doing. It's somewhat common and people often think it's a stroke or seizure. Either way it sounds like a vet visit is probably in order at some point in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Ziggy is doing great, really adjusted to our family and we can't imagine what it was like without him. He's just 6 months and about to get fixed.

He's still struggling with the cat though, she's having a rough time and mostly hangs out in one room where her litter and food are. We have a baby gate up so that she can come and go as she pleases but the dog can't get in.

She's a cantankerous and slightly aggressive cat so we figured that she would take one swipe at him and the pecking order would be established with her on top but that hasn't happened. He barks and whines because he wants to play and she gets freaked out and hisses from the other side of the see through gate. Does anyone have advice for helping these two coexist better?