Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Holy poo poo this game is great. I always heard nice things about it from goons but was planning on holding out til the iOS version until some post I saw yesterday finally broke my resolve and I got it on itch. Zero regrets and can't wait to double-dip, and it's great knowing the game has such a high skill ceiling -- the last couple fights in Normal mode feel insurmountable for me right now lol and I can't imagine it only getting harder from here, this is how I remember feeling my first time trying to beat ascension 0 in Slay the Spire.

edit: Don't want to jinx it but I have a Stalwart with Mithril Shields right now and I'm feeling pretty unstoppable.... this could be the run....

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Would you look at that :cool: hard mode here I come. First time picking Sorcerer and that class is awesome, Miasma + tanking up with Stalwart mostly won me the last fight. Wasn't sure if Engage would work on non-attack faces, but I was delighted to find out it does and put it on Mender because the enemy comp of the last fight didn't really necessitate me doing big hits on undamaged targets, and it indeed turned out to be a good call -- managed to get the +8 max HP off on a couple heroes during the fight and it gave me plenty of breathing room. drat what a fun game.

edit: Also this guide is really helpful, thanks to whoever posted it page 1. I like that it doesn't really spoil or solve anything, just gives a little extra context to make picking heroes feel more informed.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 30, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Sorcerer is great, especially with +cantrip stuff. I like his spell too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sorcerer + dragon egg :swoon:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Annnnd beat hard mode on my first try. Rolled Sorceror again and picked up Boarhide Bracers and the mana gen was ludicrous. Cursed mode sounds great, I can't wait.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Is there a way to "no, thanks" a character upgrade? I like some of the lower tier ones more than I like the higher tier ones..

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Nope, it's one of the more annoying things to have a perfect build wiped by a forced class change tho

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anyone have good advice on which Curse Mode curses to take/avoid? In my inexperienced view a lot of them seem like they can be easy or killer depending on your comp. Just from the starter choices, the "Adds a Bones to bosses" isn't too bad if you get an early 4-damage hero; but if you fail that it's brutal. "Heal the most damaged enemy" is tame most of the time, but sometimes you roll a low-damage comp or just get a few bad rolls in a row and it turns the fight into a potentially dangerous slog. Of course, I'm bad enough that I may be over- or underestimating either.

Any notable curses I should be taking or avoiding?

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Anyone have good advice on which Curse Mode curses to take/avoid? In my inexperienced view a lot of them seem like they can be easy or killer depending on your comp. Just from the starter choices, the "Adds a Bones to bosses" isn't too bad if you get an early 4-damage hero; but if you fail that it's brutal. "Heal the most damaged enemy" is tame most of the time, but sometimes you roll a low-damage comp or just get a few bad rolls in a row and it turns the fight into a potentially dangerous slog. Of course, I'm bad enough that I may be over- or underestimating either.

+x to enemy dice rolls on turn y should never ever be taken.

If it hits a summon ability your run is over immediately.

I like taking the added bones, poison bottom hero is super minor too. It can even be a positive with the right item.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Huge Manatee posted:

+x to enemy dice rolls on turn y should never ever be taken.

If it hits a summon ability your run is over immediately.

I like taking the added bones, poison bottom hero is super minor too. It can even be a positive with the right item.

Poison bottom when taken a couple of times means your ng++ games wipe your mage every turn until you get a cleanse.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Via the SnDiscord:

https://imgur.com/a/rmqHe5d

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

goferchan posted:

edit: Don't want to jinx it but I have a Stalwart with Mithril Shields right now and I'm feeling pretty unstoppable.... this could be the run....

Stalwart with Mithril Shields IS unstoppable.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

I don't know who this person is, but I disagree with almost all of their choices.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Farquar posted:

I don't know who this person is, but I disagree with almost all of their choices.

Looks like they're fourth place on the curse mode leaderboard.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Farquar posted:

I'm barely in the top 20 on the curse mode leaderboard, but I'd disagree with a number of those choices too. I've had a run go past level 100 where 3 of my first 5 curses were in his "try to avoid" and "avoid at all costs" categories. I do agree with many of his curse rankings, but there are definitely some I'd place elsewhere.

IMO: Max stored mana reduction is not that bad. Shield 1 to enemies on the first turn is not that bad. Roll 3 dice max is not that bad. Most damaged enemy heals is not that bad. First spell costs extra is worse than he says. Enemies get plus 1 on turn X is worse than he says.

Now, he has made it 2 loops farther than I have, so he probably does have some insight I lack, but you can still make it past level 100 with some of his least favorite curses.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Half of those Hard Mode things are just a mean joke, right? I've been smashing my face against 120% monster health for days and I just can't. Extra mana cost and less rerolls didn't take me long, but that one.. holy poo poo. Haven't even attempted having less health. I've gotten to the final stage several times but couldn't seal the deal. The boss just went nuts summoning during the last few rounds and I couldn't keep up.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hard mode curses aren't too bad if you are a grizzled enough slice and dicer. Picking the right heroes/items at the right time, and knowing when/what to reroll can sometimes make the difference. For instance, every turn are you able to do some damage/kill an enemy while also keeping one of your dudes alive? If not you might not have kept the right amount of mitigation on that turn, or rerolled some life saving dice you should have kept.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Start damaged is by far the easiest, for what it's worth.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Still banging my head against Unfair with left side blank. Can get to 18 but one set of X means the run is over

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

cirus posted:

Still banging my head against Unfair with left side blank. Can get to 18 but one set of X means the run is over

One thing that may help (or at least helped me) was playing more cautiously. Is this the most optimal dice to get? maybe not - but will it progress this round? Keep it. Better to take a less optimal dice than an X

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Start damaged is by far the easiest, for what it's worth.

Yeah I am just now easing into hard mode and that one really isn't bad. Think of all the times you normally roll & waste some kind of healing during the first few rounds of the first few fights while your dudes are at max HP -- those instances alone basically cancel out the curse in a way. Then once you start to get your setup rolling you just have to evaluate things a little differently.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I found out today that killing the last boss with poison after your entire party dies still counts as a win. Then I died on the very first fight on the second loop before I could even get any sweet +2 items. Also I think dying on the boss still gives the minus hp for dying on the previous fight because I don't remember getting a curse that'd cause that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I loving did it. Polished off the last two Hard options back to back. Had an absurdly good run.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sorcerer with Dragon's Egg is ridiculous.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

tight aspirations posted:

Sorcerer with Dragon's Egg is ridiculous.

It is but why even keep rolling at that point? You've got more than enough mana a long time ago to take them all out. 16 mana would have killed the lot of them. You're basically swapping 1 mana for 1 damage with burst so once you hit enough to wipe them all out you can stop.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Too see how high it can go!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I just wanted to see if the mana / reroll counter went over 1,000 :shobon:

Also it was kind of a victory lap too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Too see how high it can go!

Time to test if the dev used a large enough variable.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I neeeeeed an update. More content please!!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

I neeeeeed an update. More content please!!

Still working on it! Here's some teasers -

Lots more keywords in the game now, many are just on one-off items though

New unfair mode offers random point-buy curses

2x alternate starting heroes for each colour

Too many modes, I need to redo this UI!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Nice, looking forward to it!

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Awesome! I'm excited to see what you make!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Amazing. Can't wait!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Can't wait!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
This is the game update I am most anticipating. I'm am super excited.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hey there's this equipment called Change of Heart that replaces all your healing sides with shield sides, retaining their keywords. But when it changes a heal+mana side into a shield, it loses the mana generation property. Is that on purpose, or a bug?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

someone awful. posted:

Hey there's this equipment called Change of Heart that replaces all your healing sides with shield sides, retaining their keywords. But when it changes a heal+mana side into a shield, it loses the mana generation property. Is that on purpose, or a bug?

That is correct according to the text on the item IMO. Although after the update, that side will have the "mana-gain" keyword so it will work how you want it to, whenever I release it!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Okay, cool.. Thanks for the quick response! :)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Just added a fun feature

Pasteable fight snapshots, managed to minify enough to fit in a tweet. You get to play on from there to the end of the level.

Maybe useful for..
- Help I'm going to die what do I do?
- Check out this cool turn 1 boss kill
- Here's a level I created, try to beat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tann posted:

Just added a fun feature

Pasteable fight snapshots, managed to minify enough to fit in a tweet. You get to play on from there to the end of the level.

Maybe useful for..
- Help I'm going to die what do I do?
- Check out this cool turn 1 boss kill
- Here's a level I created, try to beat it

Also for ruining someone elses streak by dropping in an impossible win game.

I'm not a nice person IRL either.