Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FizFashizzle posted:

uh...no

Take it apart and put it back together again?

oh yeah wow bud for sure. if you only have one active stick your computer is quite severely limited. it's probably just not all the way in; click them both out and in again, it should be very very easy. and make sure you're in the slots indicated by your motherboard, usually 2 and 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My build now hinges on buying a GPU for the monitors I do have (3070 / 3070Ti for >10yr old 24" 3x1 1200p 60Hz) or the monitors want to have (3080Ti for 3x1 24-27" >=4K 144Hz). I only game on the centre one and keep chat / media / browsers / whatever on the other two, and have all three mounted on arms that can handle any 27" currently in production. I typically buy triple sets so I'm not stuck with mismatched colour or panel technologies.

Based on recent trends I'd save ~$800 CAD by getting the cheaper card that would absolutely slam my current monitors, but if I can get the better card and maybe carry >60fps 4K gaming that would be a better investment. Alternatively, I'd be willing to think of new monitor configurations so every upgrade isn't a big-bang affair. I suppose I could be persuaded to drop the 3x1 setup for a curved ultrawide if Windows 11 is really that much better about snapping stuff to fractions of the screen, but old games will doubtlessly still warp themselves to poo poo.

Thoughts?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CoolCab posted:

oh yeah wow bud for sure. if you only have one active stick your computer is quite severely limited. it's probably just not all the way in; click them both out and in again, it should be very very easy. and make sure you're in the slots indicated by your motherboard, usually 2 and 4

do you have a suggestion for a relatively cheap and easy upgrade i could make if I'm opening it up anyway?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

FizFashizzle posted:

do you have a suggestion for a relatively cheap and easy upgrade i could make if I'm opening it up anyway?

game performance goes GPU, CPU then ram, with ram only really being a floor, or sometimes as a supplement to CPU. you cannot get GPU cheaply right now. you could probably justify a CPU upgrade but that's a pretty big purchase. cooler would give a little more performance if you're running stock but not very much. more storage?

if you are only running one stick ie one of your sticks is not working then simply adding another will significantly increase performance. if you misremembered and have 2x4 sticks instead then more modern, faster ram. in fact under the performance tab can you actually click on the memory and show me what it says there? it might be you're also not running your ram at the desired speed and you'll need to turn XMP on in the bios.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been running the same CPU for years on a beefier GPU and have really had no problems with it. Cyberpunk on down run fine. I wouldn't bother with the CPU unless you're doing a major upgrade.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don't remember the last time I did an in-place CPU upgrade, either. Having built Intel for my last three PCs there was no hope in hell of keeping the same socket, and with the constant (if disorganized) march of PCIe / NVMe and USB it wouldn't have made sense to do that anyway.

I used to do a new GPU every two years, but this 1070 has been with me almost six.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I got the 1600 to cheap out, figuring I'd upgrade later, but I never noticed any performance problems so just didn't upgrade it until building the new system.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CoolCab posted:

game performance goes GPU, CPU then ram, with ram only really being a floor, or sometimes as a supplement to CPU. you cannot get GPU cheaply right now. you could probably justify a CPU upgrade but that's a pretty big purchase. cooler would give a little more performance if you're running stock but not very much. more storage?

if you are only running one stick ie one of your sticks is not working then simply adding another will significantly increase performance. if you misremembered and have 2x4 sticks instead then more modern, faster ram. in fact under the performance tab can you actually click on the memory and show me what it says there? it might be you're also not running your ram at the desired speed and you'll need to turn XMP on in the bios.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-nvidia-geforce-tuf-rtx3080-12gb-gddr6-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card-black/6501113.p?skuId=6501113

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

it's detecting two sticks of ram and they are running incredibly slow. I think you have 4x2 or it's very fucky; either way I'd confirm exactly the config you have and if you do only have 8 gigs that's an easy upgrade

2x8, CL16 and 3000MHz. if you hunt around you might get it for under fifty bucks

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3o1Ebk_jCA

Good information here. Basically, when it comes to sub-$150 B660 motherboards, the MSI Pro B660M-A is the only one worth looking at if you're going to pair it with anything better than a 12400. The 12400 wasn't used as a test CPU in that video, but you can expect basically all of the boards to be okay with that one. The MSI Pro B660M-A seems reliable with CPUs up to the 12700, making it a good low-cost match for the non-K version of that CPU (just remember to remove those power limits). It's worth noting that none of these boards have PCIe 5.0 support. If you want that, or a full ATX form factor, then you're gonna have to pay more than $150. Hardware Unboxed will be reviewing $150 - $200 boards next, it seems like. He doesn't seem to be testing any H670 boards, but you can look at those if you want a board that's cheaper than all the Z690 board but with a few more features than those cheap B660 boards. I know ASRock's low-end boards got embarrassed in these comparisons here, but their Steel Legend boards are usually pretty okay, and their H670 Steel Legend looks like the most reasonable mid-budget option if you want PCIe 5.0, more USB, and more m.2 slots.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 5, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CoolCab posted:

it's detecting two sticks of ram and they are running incredibly slow. I think you have 4x2 or it's very fucky; either way I'd confirm exactly the config you have and if you do only have 8 gigs that's an easy upgrade

2x8, CL16 and 3000MHz. if you hunt around you might get it for under fifty bucks

Per Amazon, I have this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143UM4TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: and this is the processor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XTQZJ28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 5, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Something definitely isn't right with your RAM, 8 gigabytes of "Hardware Reserved" is way too much. My puny laptop with 8GB of memory has 125MB reserved and my powerful desktop with 32GB has 86MB reserved. These articles may provide solutions.

SOLVED: Windows 10 Won’t Use Full RAM
Half of RAM 'Hardware Reserved'

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
If I’m in the market for case fans what are my options currently and are there any brands that used to be popular to avoid?

The overclocking thread had a little writeup but I can’t date that information now. Noctua Corsair and Proligma or whatever where the suggested brands. Looking for 120mm to replace a burned out front intake and rear intake on a Corsair 400R case. Unsure rn if those intakes would take larger fans. Ideally purchasing through amazon for delivery asap.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
arctic p12s (f12s are fine if they're not going through a mesh or rad or whatever) if you aren't acoustically optimizing, noctuas or similar very expensive fans if you want silence. you can buy five packs of p12s for not that much if it's on promo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I use bequiet fans and think they're a good cheaper option for a quiet focus if you don't want to pay for the brown.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

CoolCab posted:

arctic p12s (f12s are fine if they're not going through a mesh or rad or whatever) if you aren't acoustically optimizing, noctuas or similar very expensive fans if you want silence. you can buy five packs of p12s for not that much if it's on promo.

Cool I’ll definitely price compare. I think given the lifespan of the last fans I don’t mind erring on the side of sound optimization so might just go brown.

In 120mm is the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM the option there or are there meaningful grades to noctua’s cheaper fans I might consider? Like I’m assuming cheaper noctuas are basically similar in performance to other fans at that price.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Arctic p12s are almost as good as the noctua a12x25 and you can get a 5 pack for not much more than one noctua. They're the no-brainer choice imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Arctic p12s are almost as good as the noctua a12x25 and you can get a 5 pack for not much more than one noctua. They're the no-brainer choice imo.

Maybe it's just for me, but that defaults to a third party seller. Changing the seller to Arctic makes it a few dollars cheaper.

I'd love to try out Noctuas myself because there are some RPMs at which the P12s make a whistling/humming noise for me. Of course, I would never spend Noctua money on a case fan, though.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Second question I just thought of I have one still functional 120mm I’m gonna continue using is there any particular guideline for using fans of multiple different types (and presumably airflows) in a 2 in 1 out setup?

If I have a lower performing fan where would it be less of a problem? I’m gonna take a wild guess and say intake.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The "CO" option for the P12 doesn't have that noticeable hum at certain RPMs supposedly, but it doesn't come in any value packs. https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN...201&sr=8-3&th=1

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The "CO" option for the P12 doesn't have that noticeable hum at certain RPMs supposedly, but it doesn't come in any value packs. https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-ACFAN...201&sr=8-3&th=1

Can confirm. I bought these at DVG's recommendation and from a few feet away they're as close to literally silent as makes no difference. The lights and refrigerator in my kitchen a full room away are more audible. And I'm not even sure if the remaining tiny, soft, pleasing sound that the PC still makes is from even from those fans or if it's the GPU/PSU/AIO's pump/radiator intake/etc. I haven't done a proper at-load test of the updated system yet (what software should I use for this?) but playing FFXIV and Deep Rock Galactic at ultra settings has not changed the noise level one bit.

E: I did previously post that the machine still sounded like a jet engine at all times with these fans installed, but that disappeared when I dropped in a 3070. So either it was some weird glitchy interaction between the old PNY 780 and the mobo, or (more likely) it was the actual GPU fans and some odd acoustic quirk just made me think it was the case fans instead. Said GPU swap also fixed my issue where the computer could not start while plugged into my M27Q monitor (seemingly-due to some kind of weird KVM-induced panic). So it seems like that poor 780 was just well past its time.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 6, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's very plausible that your old GPU was the noisiest component in there, it almost always is. the bigger your fan the more fans you have the less RPM you need the lower the noise is and typically the less annoying it is since little fans make higher pitched sounds.

the biggest advantage to getting a 5 pack is that you can actually install them all and then tell them to run slower if you need to - little five buck fan hubs you can set to "low" are popular. i don't know that five bad fans would sound worse than one great fan at full RPM and they for sure will outperform it, by a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Can confirm. I bought these at DVG's recommendation and from a few feet away they're as close to literally silent as makes no difference. The lights and refrigerator in my kitchen a full room away are more audible. And I'm not even sure if the remaining tiny, soft, pleasing sound that the PC still makes is from even from those fans or if it's the GPU/PSU/AIO's pump/radiator intake/etc. I haven't done a proper at-load test of the updated system yet (what software should I use for this?) but playing FFXIV and Deep Rock Galactic at ultra settings has not changed the noise level one bit.

E: I did previously post that the machine still sounded like a jet engine at all times with these fans installed, but that disappeared when I dropped in a 3070. So either it was some weird glitchy interaction between the old PNY 780 and the mobo, or (more likely) it was the actual GPU fans and some odd acoustic quirk just made me think it was the case fans instead. Said GPU swap also fixed my issue where the computer could not start while plugged into my M27Q monitor (seemingly-due to some kind of weird KVM-induced panic). So it seems like that poor 780 was just well past its time.

Yeah I'd guess it was your old GPU. My old one was also loud but that's expected of a blower design.

Any case fan can be loud or quiet, it just depends on the RPM, which is usually set in the BIOS. It can make a pretty big difference. In both performance and noise. I've set mine pretty low, because I favor the latter over the former and the temps in my Lancool are already pretty good. The most impactful, for me, are the fans under the GPU. If I ran them at max, I could probably lower my GPU temp by another degree or two.

CoolCab posted:

the biggest advantage to getting a 5 pack is that you can actually install them all and then tell them to run slower if you need to - little five buck fan hubs you can set to "low" are popular. i don't know that five bad fans would sound worse than one great fan at full RPM and they for sure will outperform it, by a lot.

I got the bundle despite only using 3, since it costs as much. The extras might come in handy one day. I could stick another pair above the CPU, but I don't think it's worth the noise.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Rinkles posted:

Of course, I would never spend Noctua money on a case fan, though.

I just bought five Noctua NFA-14's for my Corsair Carbide Air 540 for $120... :kstarehair:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

that's a lot of 140s (and money)

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Rinkles posted:

that's a lot of 140s (and money)

Am I overdoing it? Two front intake fans and three exhausts? (Two top, one rear) They’re for a 12700k with a Fuma 2.

My previous build in the same case had two 140mm front intakes, one 140mm rear exhaust, and an H100i pushing out the top.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe a bit? Idk, I wouldn't even think of spending that much on fans, but my experience (and budget) are rather limited.

In my case, I don't need the fans to do that much because the airflow is pretty good as long as there are any fans, so I run them at fairly low RPMs to keep the noise down. At low RPMs most fans are interchangeable. But otoh, like I said before I could improve my GPU temps if I ran the two fans below it faster. I don't want to because they get too loud, but maybe the Noctuas wouldn't. But, on the other other hand, it's just a few degrees difference max, so not worth spending much on, in my opinion. Even those two P12s aren't really necessary.

But if I had the money, yeah, I'd love to play around with higher end parts. A lot of this stuff is pretty superfluous honestly, but it's become a bit of a hobby. I enjoy the tinkering.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DammitJanet posted:

Am I overdoing it? Two front intake fans and three exhausts? (Two top, one rear) They’re for a 12700k with a Fuma 2.

My previous build in the same case had two 140mm front intakes, one 140mm rear exhaust, and an H100i pushing out the top.

Are you intentionally going for negative pressure?

Unless you have a specific setup that calls for it, it’s typically more beneficial to have more intake than exhaust. 2 intake typically only calls for one exhaust.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DammitJanet posted:

I would balance 2 in / 2 out with gentler curves on the exhaust fans so that they hit full power at higher temperatures, and that's only if you have a solid top rather than open mesh. I can't think of a good reason you'd want negative pressure, let alone an entire fan's worth.

Buy Noctua if you want; yes they're expensive but you also know you'll never have to pull your case apart to replace a broken fan. I buy them for the same reason I buy H&K.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Are you intentionally going for negative pressure?

Unless you have a specific setup that calls for it, it’s typically more beneficial to have more intake than exhaust. 2 intake typically only calls for one exhaust.

Nope. I was just winging it based on what I already had in there. I knew I should have asked here first. No big deal though. I'll either return two of the fans or use them in another system.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have two 140s and a 120 out and two 120s and a 140 in, which is the most I can stuff into this case. Thinking having All The Fans means I'll be able to run them at fairly low speed for quiet and longevity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I have two 140s and a 120 out and two 120s and a 140 in

where do you have the last 140 installed?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rinkles posted:

where do you have the last 140 installed?

Front. It came with two 140s, I thought I could sneak a 120 in at the bottom but it was just a bit too cramped. So I pulled one and put two 120s in there. The exhaust 140s are on top, and the 120 is in the back as usual.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

DammitJanet posted:

I just bought five Noctua NFA-14's for my Corsair Carbide Air 540 for $120... :kstarehair:

Nfa14 is an old design. The p14 are better or just as good at half the price.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Front. It came with two 140s, I thought I could sneak a 120 in at the bottom but it was just a bit too cramped. So I pulled one and put two 120s in there. The exhaust 140s are on top, and the 120 is in the back as usual.
Man, this just makes me miss my Corsair 600D with its gigantic 200mm intake and its mandatory white lighting that was awful to sleep across from.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

Nfa14 is an old design. The p14 are better or just as good at half the price.

More like slightly worse than the A14 (according to noctua's advertised performance) at around three-quarters to two-thirds the price, but the P14s are solid, yeah. Especially at their current sale price of $15: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-Premium-Cooling/dp/B00CP6QLY6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shumagorath posted:

Man, this just makes me miss my Corsair 600D with its gigantic 200mm intake and its mandatory white lighting that was awful to sleep across from.

I have my 2500K system (now an unraid server) in a 500R case, the 200mm fan on the side is great. The light is switchable on that one at least!

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

More like slightly worse than the A14 (according to noctua's advertised performance) at around three-quarters to two-thirds the price, but the P14s are solid, yeah. Especially at their current sale price of $15: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-Premium-Cooling/dp/B00CP6QLY6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

So if I ended up wanting to use all 5 fans, would I be better off using the two on top for intake or exhaust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DammitJanet posted:

So if I ended up wanting to use all 5 fans, would I be better off using the two on top for intake or exhaust?

This is very hard to say without doing a lot of testing on that specific case. I can't tell from the promotional material or manual, but what's the bottom of the chassis like? How much ventilation is there, and how much room to breathe is there underneath the bottom panel? I'm tempted to say that having two exhaust on the top and one exhaust in the rear would be better for your GPU thermals since air would likely end up being pulled in through the bottom.