Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I dunno. Maybe it's the translation but some of the dialogue just rubs me the wrong way. Also yeah it's edgy as all gently caress.

Like I love me some dead racists but here it feels off for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Yeah I dunno. Maybe it's the translation but some of the dialogue just rubs me the wrong way. Also yeah it's edgy as all gently caress.

Attempts to excuse the violence will usually feel exactly like that, an excuse.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah. A lot of people in this topic (or the other one?) will say stuff like "this one's good because they kill all slavers on sight" and while I certainly can't say that slavers should be spared or whatever, the fact is that the writer only made them slavers in the first place because they wanted to introduce minor villains that the heroes can remorselessly slaughter. Ultimately it's just an excuse for violence, even moreso if they dwell on what the villains are doing first. Like, that's just double violence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But it's cool violence tho

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Personally, I think it feels off because it's a villain manga that's pretending it's not one. The other races are all cartoonishly evil, but it's kind of hard to ignore that the protagonist is every bit as bad. Yet the story really wants you to root for the MC as some kind of righteous avenger.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

But it's cool violence tho
:emptyquote:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, I feel like he's a bit too diabolically calculating, but it leads to interesting story beats so I'll allow it

How much of that is him and how much is whatever happens to earthlings when they get isekaid remains to be seen.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

Personally, I think it feels off because it's a villain manga that's pretending it's not one. The other races are all cartoonishly evil, but it's kind of hard to ignore that the protagonist is every bit as bad. Yet the story really wants you to root for the MC as some kind of righteous avenger.

To add, unless I read it wrong he also explicitly says he wants to create a world only for humanity implying he wants to either subjugate or wipe out the other races which is pretty loving evil no matter how you slice.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

To add, unless I read it wrong he also explicitly says he wants to create a world only for humanity implying he wants to either subjugate or wipe out the other races which is pretty loving evil no matter how you slice.

The current plan specifically calls for cutting off the Elf Kingdom's strength, vanquishing them, and then subordinating them to get a feel for how the other nations are going to respond. It very much sounds like he intends to replace their old rear end in a top hat government with his own "enlightened" authoritarian regime.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

The current plan specifically calls for cutting off the Elf Kingdom's strength, vanquishing them, and then subordinating them to get a feel for how the other nations are going to respond. It very much sounds like he intends to replace their old rear end in a top hat government with his own "enlightened" authoritarian regime.

Haven't gotten that far. I'm just going by what I read when he fought the wolf guy in them first few chapters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Just going off what he's said in chapter 3 he isn't committed to complete annihilation of the other races but he's going to weight his decision on whatever truth he finds regarding the [Master] and the reason he was recruited and then betrayed. That being said there's not much hope that he won't at least wipe out the capital cities of each of the other nations and kill off their top combatants and fighting forces. So really, we're going to see how far along the spectrum of villainy he's willing to go but I remain optimistic he won't go the genocide route. Only slightly though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Haven't gotten that far. I'm just going by what I read when he fought the wolf guy in them first few chapters.

That’s fair; I wasn’t sure which part you were referring to but I remembered there was some supporting evidence in the last chapters I read.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The translation of that manga is so loving bad (and has no editing) and then they have the gall to get pissy about the quality of a group who tried to snipe them

aw gee i dunno

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have now read all six physically published volumes of the Final Fantasy isekai. So far my initial assessments are correct: despite the one lady who’s 25% boob by volume it doesn’t fall into any of the pit traps of isekai. The main character has the ability of Libra which lets him know some qualities of non-living objects, as well as read any language. Knowing about Final Fantasy games gives him a certain savviness, like knowing how to bounce reflected spells to get around an enemy’s reflect status but it doesn’t win fights for them, it just helps them survive.

It’s worth checking out if you like Final Fantasy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://mangadex.org/title/860c10f3...kai-o-kage-kara

Reincarnated as an Assassin except not dogshit. Wow turns out you can use the exact same concept except not turn it into an overly smug edgy mess.
I love the author's overwrought visual metaphors and background gags in this one. They're pretty great :allears:
oh yeah also it's got some horny so fair warning

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
After 10,000 years there's finally another chapter of Onee-san and the Giant in which we meet another victim of Truck-kun.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Brought To You By posted:

After 10,000 years there's finally another chapter of Onee-san and the Giant in which we meet another victim of Truck-kun.

Good manga, shame about the pace at which it's released.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

https://mangadex.org/title/860c10f3...kai-o-kage-kara

Reincarnated as an Assassin except not dogshit. Wow turns out you can use the exact same concept except not turn it into an overly smug edgy mess.
I love the author's overwrought visual metaphors and background gags in this one. They're pretty great :allears:
oh yeah also it's got some horny so fair warning

This one was pretty all right. I mean, it's like 5 chapters in English so far so there's plenty of time for it to get terrible.

There's a new chapter for "I’m Really Not The Demon God’s Lackey" and I have to say I really hope for more Chinese ones that aren't just "What if the Three Kingdoms but... actually let's just do that." It really leans into the premise but the art is nice to look at and I somehow don't get tired of the constant terror at entirely mundane actions.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
The Villainess Will Crush Her Destruction End Through Modern Firepower has come to a disappointing conclusion with no shots fired in the final two chapters. I'll miss Astrid's mysteriously expressive ahoge, but it sounds like the translator was getting fed up with the release schedule and tiny chapters and might have dropped it soon anyway.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Myok posted:

[but it sounds like the translator was getting fed up with the release schedule and tiny chapters and might have dropped it soon anyway.

I know I dropped it early because of the release schedule. That and I'm tired of child protagonists with inexplicable super powers. I mean, she didn't even know how guns work and had to rely on a helpful nature spirit to get things rolling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two new chapters of Faraway Paladin dropped.

https://mangadex.org/title/1f40b922-6abb-418e-a7e9-cc4d25b21439/saihate-no-paladin

First one is a massive exposition dump, and a really, really good one of those at that. God I love the character writing in this series.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know why I read this. Like the MC in these is always a loser, but this guy is even worse than the norm. I'm honestly glad he got his stupid loving mmo character deleted.

https://readmanganato.com/manga-jo986697

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a manipulative amoral creep with a stupid goal.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

Two new chapters of Faraway Paladin dropped.

https://mangadex.org/title/1f40b922-6abb-418e-a7e9-cc4d25b21439/saihate-no-paladin

First one is a massive exposition dump, and a really, really good one of those at that. God I love the character writing in this series.

Something not grabbed since I believe the scanlation group doing Paladin only posted the information on their site and not mangadex, but they're dropping Paladin and these are the last 2 chapters they're doing. Some group will probably pick it up I'd think? But just as an fyi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not surprised, with how intense that exposition chapter was :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey guys hook me up with your isekai revenge stories. Give me some good ones.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Hey guys hook me up with your isekai revenge stories.

Well there’s—

quote:

good ones

Hmmm

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
The Vengeful Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a bunch of formulaic regression revenge stories with a female protagonist, some of which are also isekai. even the worst of them is better than those trashy stories where a hero is betrayed for flimsy reason and thus is now totally justified in all the slavery/torture/rape/murder they gleefully commit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are a bunch of formulaic regression revenge stories with a female protagonist, some of which are also isekai. even the worst of them is better than those trashy stories where a hero is betrayed for flimsy reason and thus is now totally justified in all the slavery/torture/rape/murder they gleefully commit.

Yeah that's why I asked. I only know of otome isekai that do revenge well. Most of the regular ones turn into wowDAedge

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Hey guys hook me up with your isekai revenge stories. Give me some good ones.

Solitary Lady It just started back up after a 5 month hiatus so I expect to see english translations in the coming weeks since two new chapters dropped in Korea today. There's an official TL on Tapas as well

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Hey this series seems cute! This dude is an alchemist! He gets a cute spider pet!

...ah he's gonna get a loving slave isn't he. Godda-"

https://mangadex.org/title/17b4a134-65a5-4ba9-851e-9cc824755bf5/izure-saikyou-no-renkinjutsushi

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Seraphic Neoman posted:

"Hey this series seems cute! This dude is an alchemist! He gets a cute spider pet!

https://mangadex.org/title/17b4a134-65a5-4ba9-851e-9cc824755bf5/izure-saikyou-no-renkinjutsushi

Novel Updates has the tag "Slave Harem" so it's gonna keep happening.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
excuse me, it actually says "s*ave harem". totally different thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

excuse me, it actually says "s*ave harem". totally different thing.

I'll not have my favorite stave harems forgotten!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
This message brought to you by our sponsors, Dollar S*ave Clubharem

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Suave harems?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

It's like a checklist of bad isekai tropes

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, they keep doing it because the audience (and writers) like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Sigh
*writes another name in the book of grudges*