Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ardeem posted:

Decks that can win Maxx C challenge: Drytron, Synchron, Mayakashi, Six Samurai...

The deck I played against was Infernity, so add them to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's 100% this. Skystrikers is based on a very bad anime.

It's basically me saying "Destony Heroes suck. Read better books".

Also you took it way too personal. Like what was with bringing up Lain?

Okay so here the logic chain, which im gonna out right say now only makes sense to me and i should have realized that but was too dumb to realize it at the time.

I didnt think you were calling me out personally. I assumed you were talking about sky strikers as if it was, itself, an anime. Well, i like sky strikers so i thought itd be funny if i acted like, bc i like sky strikers, you must have been calling me out for liking lain, an actual anime.

It was 6 in the morning and i hadnt had any caffiene so like, i can clearly see now where none of that makes sense

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Hey everyone, not sure how interested most of you would be in Spyral gameplay videos and combo guides, but it's my favorite archtype and I've been making some videos around it. This is the one that's gotten the most positive feedback as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzRzoBWoXkk

I know a lot of folks here are critical of big flashy combo deck that sets up a bunch of negates, but hey, I enjoy the deck so maybe you might as well.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 2, 2022

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Spyrals seems cool. The detail was really helpful for me to figure out what your thought process is and why you pick the cards out you do.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
As has been mentioned in this thread before, Gold is kind of iffy right now, with a lot of people still working to push back to Platinum. Had myself a nice streak tonight though, capped off by having a Drytron player surrender because they couldn't play through my first turn board of Number 4: Stealth Kragen and Gozen Match.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAMMEPYHSZ8
Pretty happy with how I sequenced my plays in this game. I was really carried by Shinobaron Peacock, though. When I saw what I was up against, I was reading those monster effects and thinking about how many potential times they could throw that counter trap at me in one turn and I knew I had to get Baron on field immediately.

E: Although looking back and checking the effects again, the counter could only come out once, and they misplayed badly by playing Fiendish Deal behind Kidbrave, revealing they had no other magical muskets in hand, instead of Caspar, which would have got them a search. Still, only in Silver here.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 3, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There's a new solo mode gate.

Hope you enjoy playing through iconic DM-era duels with the shittest decks imaginable for lame rewards.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

Hope you enjoy playing through iconic DM-era duels with the shittest decks imaginable for lame rewards.

More box of friends mashups please konami

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Speaking of ancient terrible decks, something weird that my Youtube recommendations threw up that I'm curious to hear thoughts on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1zmTxONMU

tl;dw: Not only has Elemental HERO Air Neos only ever been printed once in the physical TCG (comments confirm it got a second printing in the OCG, but even that was a while ago), but despite appearing in Legacy of the Duelist, isn't in the card pool for Duel Links or Master Duel. On top of that, the recent Neos fusion support card is based on an OP group shot that includes Air Neos, but the card specifically doesn't include him.

Why are you trying to hide Air Neos, Konami!?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 3, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/MBTYuGiOh/status/1499276553431265283

lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The best part is that "Dark Spellian" still sounds like a YGO card.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Vandar posted:

Aw sweet 60 legacy tickets. Exactly what I wanted.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They've already been using find-replace. Check out how the qliphort story mentions "The A. Forces".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of ancient terrible decks, something weird that my Youtube recommendations threw up that I'm curious to hear thoughts on.

tl;dw: Not only has Elemental HERO Air Neos only ever been printed once in the physical TCG (comments confirm it got a second printing in the OCG, but even that was a while ago), but despite appearing in Legacy of the Duelist, isn't in the card pool for Duel Links or Master Duel. On top of that, the recent Neos fusion support card is based on an OP group shot that includes Air Neos, but the card specifically doesn't include him.

The fear the power of A Hero Lives Air neos turbo

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Love to superpolymerization away my opponent's Borreload Savage Dragon into my Dragonmaid Sheou and prompt a concession when Sheou + House dumps a Nurse, Chamber, and Kitchen in their standby phase. :getin:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cleretic posted:

The theory started by someone who has connections with people who work on the game (NeoArk of the Org) is that Air Neos might be based on an old obscure anime or tokusatsu monster, and it's design is too close to that monster's design to reprint it without risking a lawsuit.

There's no real evidence for or against it, but it's the kind of thing I could see being true.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kyrosiris posted:

Love to superpolymerization away my opponent's Borreload Savage Dragon into my Dragonmaid Sheou and prompt a concession when Sheou + House dumps a Nurse, Chamber, and Kitchen in their standby phase. :getin:

Is there anything that Dragonmaid can do with a rank 2 link monster with no functioning abilities? Had a fun interaction where I targeted Sheou with a destruction effect, and then they scooped when I gave them the link monster in exchange for the House.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ardeem posted:

Is there anything that Dragonmaid can do with a rank 2 link monster with no functioning abilities? Had a fun interaction where I targeted Sheou with a destruction effect, and then they scooped when I gave them the link monster in exchange for the House.

Biggest thing I can think of would be using it as Knightmare Phoenix food, but lord that'd suck regardless.

I'm not sure I'd scoop but playing out of that situation feels like it would be a huge uphill battle.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kyrosiris posted:

Biggest thing I can think of would be using it as Knightmare Phoenix food, but lord that'd suck regardless.

I'm not sure I'd scoop but playing out of that situation feels like it would be a huge uphill battle.

That's sort of what I thought. Evil ★ Twin Present is such a terrible card, but it's also my number two for "Opponent scoops on resolution of effect" behind Underworld Goddess of the Sealed World.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are Qli still a decent rogue strat (esp. in master duels)? They feel like the best shot I can think of for telling Eldlich to get stuffed, and I love the flavor and style in general.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

girl dick energy posted:

Are Qli still a decent rogue strat (esp. in master duels)? They feel like the best shot I can think of for telling Eldlich to get stuffed, and I love the flavor and style in general.

Towers is weak to link monsters because its immunity doesnt cover them, and eldlich can punch over it with liebe or crash into it with a eldlich boosted by its own effect.a
I would say theyre a tier under rogue, especially because of the "Cant special summon except Qli" clause the pendulums have.

The skill drain build would be the best one imo

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 4, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Called by the Graveing an eldlich is a feeling like no other

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Towers is weak to link monsters because its immunity doesnt cover them, and eldlich can punch over it with liebe or crash into it with a eldlich boosted by its own effect.a
I would say theyre a tier under rogue, especially because of the "Cant special summon except Qli" clause the pendulums have.

The skill drain build would be the best one imo
That's kind of what I figured. I was thinking an incredibly stupid idea that might be amusing would be either Skill Drain, or a Monarchs build. Towers + Majesty's Fiend sounds hilarious.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The new solo gate looks like such a good idea on paper. "Hey! Remember all those classic Yu-Gi-Oh cards? Here's all the support we've given them over the years, isn't that cool?" And then in practice they give you the brickiest possible versions of that. That Harpy deck the opponent plays in the fourth duel might as well have been a perfect Drytron build with how useless the loaner deck is against it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its pretty clear that no time was allotted to playtesting the loaner decks, which sucks. Also, pretty dumb since if they made really good versions of the decks people would be incentivized to spend gems on crafting the decks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean gently caress, no time was allotted to figuring out whether the solo themes were any fun to begin with. Dinomist? Seriously? Normally the optional back half of the gates is where you run into trouble cause the two decks they mash up just don't work together, but for Dinomist that just meant you had half of a better deck to carry you. Like Zefra. How sad is it that Zefra got to carry something? Dinomist just doesn't loving do anything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

God I was just thinking about it, Gem -Knights are Genex 2.0 aren't they. Zefra is their third attempt, World Legacy is their fourth. Who at Konami is obsessed with the idea of taking a bunch of support cards for otherwise mechanically unrelated archetypes and glueing them together?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the loaner solo decks have the problem of being a showcase deck without ever really being a good or impressive deck. You go through the Megalith gate, you see how you play Megaliths on a mechanical level, but you don't really see why you'd play Megaliths.

Them all being mirror matches as far as I've seen kinda contributes, too. Very few decks get to flex in a mirror match.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

World Legacy get to show off that they’re link climbers but bad!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dabir posted:

God I was just thinking about it, Gem -Knights are Genex 2.0 aren't they. Zefra is their third attempt, World Legacy is their fourth. Who at Konami is obsessed with the idea of taking a bunch of support cards for otherwise mechanically unrelated archetypes and glueing them together?

Gem-Knights are E Hero 2.0 (Elementally/Color Themed base team fuse together in many combinations, heavy focus on battle effects and pumping out more fusion, being canonically heroes with burning hearts of justice) and also good wtf?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gem-knights are a deck based on combining their own monsters with other ones of specific types/attributes more commonly found in other decks that they're connected to by lore. They're Genex.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

Gem-knights are a deck based on combining their own monsters with other ones of specific types/attributes more commonly found in other decks that they're connected to by lore. They're Genex.

No you can run pure GEm-Knights and cover every single type and attribute you need for every fusion.

Like they have pyros and thunder and aqua etc in their own archetype.

They just cover a poo poo ton of types with their fusions so there's overlap with other archetypes because those types aren't unique to Gem Knights. Like that's a dumb comparison. They're explicitly trying to be E-Hero 2.0

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dabir posted:

By this logic, so are Invoked and Shaddolls, and any other fusion archetype that gives you any flexibility at all in what you use.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No you can run pure GEm-Knights and cover every single type and attribute you need for every fusion.

Like they have pyros and thunder and aqua etc in their own archetype.

You can also do this with Genex. They might be E-heroes 2.0, but they're also Genex 2.0. Their fusion monsters even all have the thing you're supposed to fuse them with in their art.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

You can also do this with Genex. They might be E-heroes 2.0, but they're also Genex 2.0. Their fusion monsters even all have the thing you're supposed to fuse them with in their art.

But that's still not a sensible comparison. Because it's such a stretched idea that you could apply to any archetype with multiple Extra deck summons and multiple types. Which is... a lot of them.

It's not a useful comparison because it doesn't actually tell you anything about how the archetypes function comparatively nor how good nor bad they are.

Saying something is Genex 2.0 implies that they're probably pretty bad because what most people think about Genex is "Oh this is just half designed garbage" and not "Oh this in an archetype about summoning with multiple types". Calling them say, E-Hero 2.0 does actually give you an idea about their intended playstyle and concept. Gem-Knights were not intended to be played with anything but gem-knights. Because their designs and lore specifically are built around them fusing with one another and they cover everything then need so the phrase

Dabir posted:

taking a bunch of support cards for otherwise mechanically unrelated archetypes and glueing them together?

is just a bad read on the archetype. Their support is all focused on them specifically outside of Gem-Rose which is a anime reference card meaning it's designed for that first and not strictly for use in the actual card game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 6, 2022

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Cleretic posted:

I think the loaner solo decks have the problem of being a showcase deck without ever really being a good or impressive deck. You go through the Megalith gate, you see how you play Megaliths on a mechanical level, but you don't really see why you'd play Megaliths.

Them all being mirror matches as far as I've seen kinda contributes, too. Very few decks get to flex in a mirror match.

Exactly, even a mirror match would be better than what they did. It's less fun than the solo matches they already had and we don't even get many gems for doing it.

I'm not seeing how they could of played this much worse. Well they could of put it behind a 200 gem unlock to really kick us.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I'm slightly interested in trying out YGO, having come from a Hearthstone/MTG background.

Is there a YGO deck that is similar to Secrets Mage from HS? I also like Priest taking control of opponent monsters and using parts of their opponent's deck against them.

For MTG, is there a deck similar in function to Yuriko ninjas?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

General Morden posted:

Is there a YGO deck that is similar to Secrets Mage from HS? I also like Priest taking control of opponent monsters and using parts of their opponent's deck against them.

Relinquished.
Vampires.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Are either considered competitive decks? Or are they just fun casual decks to play that incorporate those types of mechanics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

General Morden posted:

Are either considered competitive decks? Or are they just fun casual decks to play that incorporate those types of mechanics?

Both archetypes have good support, but they are rogue strategies. They are by no means terrible