Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Anna is beyond broken, that's all there is. She's the best unit by miles at the moment.

Anyway, my habit right now is rotating through all my characters and playing the ones that need XP, but the story missions seem to be indicating that I'm underleveled. Am I screwing myself over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Levantine posted:

It's political in the way that FFT is political, but the combat system is way more balanced for better or worse. I never feel like I have the chance to cheese enemies but tactical choices matter a lot. It's difficult to out level your enemies due to diminishing returns on exp when there's a level difference. The game is good IMO. It has a ridiculous level of polish and despite some of the most dire voice acting in a long rear end while, everything else is firing on all cylinders. The dialog written well, it's just directed by babby's first voice director (I hope) and makes FFXIII look like a masterclass in VA.

Thanks for this, definitely gonna put it on my list of things I need to play.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Natural 20 posted:

Anna is beyond broken, that's all there is. She's the best unit by miles at the moment.

Anyway, my habit right now is rotating through all my characters and playing the ones that need XP, but the story missions seem to be indicating that I'm underleveled. Am I screwing myself over?

you are underleved for the v first mission. i take the recommended level more as an indicator when you are overleved than anything

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Looking forward to playing this once I'm done with ER. Love some tactics, and from what I played of the first demo, the TP system is much smarter than the FFTA2 needlessly slow mp charge system.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man I do not think Chapter 5 expected me to just pile all my forces on one side of the map.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There might not be much customizability but there is some in the weapon upgrades and it can make you stop and think.

Like, Roland had two, mutually exclusive (though swappable) passives, both of which reduce the TP cost of his early skills (Double Thrust and Rush). It makes you go-"Which do I value more? Roland's ability to hit multiple targets and be mobile, or his single-target damage?".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man I hate Gustadolph and his siblings, they are such lovely people. Thalas in particular I dislike and I look forward to the smug rear end in a top hat breaking down.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Gustadolph just wants to share free market capitalism and make friends.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Just finished with Chapter 7, aka “the First Demo” (which I have not actually played). I’ll be curious to hear how it’s changed, I can’t imagine it carried roughly the same weight as it does in the full game.

I knew *what* the choice was for this chapter so I went into the game itself looking for it and was 100% positive that it was “you have to save the prince no questions asked” but the other characters had some very strong arguments to make about giving him up, I wavered a little, even if in the end I made the choice I was set on originally. And of course learning that the cost was gonna be “we’ve gotta torch some homes to drive them back” kinda made me sick, but that just meant that I spent the first attempt desperately trying to win without using them (which was a fool’s errand). By the time I accepted what I had to do I was able to use them strategically and honestly the battle itself went almost exactly as I imagine the designers expected/hoped. I dropped the first one in the first turn to take out the first-turn reinforcements, which triggered the second set of reenforcements, and Anna and my shield held the back door shut while I lured everyone up through the main stairway that we fought on. I took some units out, suffered a few losses (Roland always dies first in my battles because I always send him out too far), but through my ice walls and having to use a couple units as bait (sorry Hughette), I finally got to the point where I had 8 enemy units, including Avlora, sitting in the space, and my guys making a body-wall right on the edge of safety. I felt a little twinge or guilt making Frederica pull the trigger because of how disgusting the whole thing was but I over-estimated the rage I can throw items.

Altogether I think it’s really the best early example of what this game was made for. Really makes me see why they picked it as the first piece to show off. Your decisions affect the gameplay and the story, and the three converged in this one battle. I don’t know what sort of long term effects burning those houses down will have but it’s to the credit of the designers that I truly thought “huh I wonder if I keep putting my people at risk if they’ll eventually coup me or revolt or something.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
post chapter 8 remember people thinking maxwell would end up still alive after the first demo. seems instead its roland becoming a char clone...

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Detective No. 27 posted:

What was the optimal strategy for the Hyzante chapter 3 fight? Those mages were real assholes, always staying out of range for any of my units and casting haste a ton, then healing up whenever I did manage to hit one. I eventually decided that I would basically stop engaging with them and pulled my units back in a bid to get them to get closer to me, which sorta worked. I managed to win but it wasn't a clean victory.

Erador is your slowest character, so deploying him with a Black Mage like Corentin or Frederica leaves them exposed, because they will almost always end up having to move in front of him to reach the front line targets. Pair Erador with Geela and/or Benedict because they can always stay behind Erador and target him with buffs/heals. Put Hughette on Erador's wing toward the center.

Put Serenoa as a front line attacker with Frederica to his rear, Roland on his wing toward the center of the battlefield, and Anna on his wing toward the edge of the battlefield.

Exharme is a loving idiot, disregard his actions.

Erador moves inexorably toward enemies and provokes then into attacking him. He has low MagDef so just keep him healed and buffed. The goal of his attack group is to tie up as many enemies as you can, and if you're lucky you can roll up the flanks toward the bottom center of the map.

Serenoa is fast with good movement, so Frederica can safely stay behind him while staying in range for attacks. Anna should try to sneak to the enemy rear and seek out the Boss (victory condition) to inflict damage or status effects. She should use speed to get out of jams, but she is the likeliest character besides Exharme to die because of the range the mages have.

Roland and Hughette are in the wings toward the center because they should be able to use their superior movement and speed to exploit any breakthroughs Serenoa or Erador can create. By breakthrough I mean an easy route to the enemy rear. Use positioning to keep them within a single move of the enemy rear and pounce when it becomes available. Hughette can pepper specific targets while staying within this range, and Roland can use a cavalry rush move to gain an extra 3 spaces of movement at the end of a turn which also damages enemies in the path.

Obviously, if you can get into the rear you can either take out the Boss or you can roll up the enemy lines with backstabs and combos.

Hughette can also be used as a seek-destroy unit like Anna, but I think her best use case is a cavalry.

Do these things and you should steamroll this fight.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh lmao, I just got a tie on the scales

Is the first step towards getting the hidden Wonderful 101 ending?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

So what's up with this voice acting? I'm barely past the first scene and it is total trash. Some of the worst I've heard.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Soranoa climbs a ladder and deepens his convictions.

Perhaps he's confirming his utilitarian views by using a tool in such a pragmatic fashion? Or is he in fact celebrating his liberty by doing whatever he wants even in a crisis? Or wait no... maybe he seeks the moral high ground...

Also in weapon upgrades you should just always grab the weapon damage one first right? unless your like Benedict or something and just acting as a stonewall buff bot?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

So what's up with this voice acting? I'm barely past the first scene and it is total trash. Some of the worst I've heard.

I don't mind it all that much, but it's really uneven, and the Japanese VO is really good. I only played it for a bit, but Serenoa's performance in Japanese is so different (in a good way) it practically changers his characterization

English Serenoa reminds me of voice set you'd see in WRPG marked as "Stoic", which is fine if you're trying to RP as a humorless Paladin or something, but you'd probably never pick it otherwise. In Japanese he's so much more emotive and feels more "realized" in comparison

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel Seranoa and the other voices have grown on me. Also I really need to do the Hyzante chapter 3 I need some more details about them.

I wonder how many chapters there are in a storyline.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 5, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the most important part of the japanese dub is avlora sounds more attractive. she is brave and strong.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I found it very funny how you go into a fight (the 2nd one?) and the games says "hey these are kudos you can use them as a shop you unlock later in the game" and then immediately unlocks the shop after that fight (and cutscenes). :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I don’t know if this is a complaint but I have no idea how balanced the economy is in this game. Like, so far I’ve been using gold mostly to buy resources to upgrade weapons but since the same resource is used for upgrading weapons, buying things and buying things *to* upgrade weapons I don’t know if I should completely avoid buying accessories, but I bought a few since the game appears to be very stingy with them regularly. But also I always buy the resources until they’re sold out because when it restocks I don’t think it adds to the count, it just resets. so if you buy all 2 Iron and no Timber, when it restocks there’s 2 more Iron for sale but still just 2 Timber.

I’m sure I’m thinking too much and that I could probably just grind some Hypothetical Battles but I want to know! (Also I’m so enamored of the mental battles it’s such a smart way to make those sorts of test/Inbetweener battle scenarios happen without a truckload of “Then Suddenly, Bandits!” moments

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh, I mostly been grabbing the consumables and the occasional accessory because the two item based units are really strong.

i only buy mats when im low on something. It seems you amass a decent amount naturally. but I haven't really been going crazy on the weapon upgrades, only buying 2 skills per rank.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The more I play the more I like the utility characters. The chapter 7 map for defending Roland is so much easier when you can trap narrow walkways, or set oil on fire (not the traps, but the items). I remembered about Quieteseses or whatever in the battle and the one that can just straight up end an enemy turn is great for the boss unit. Anna feels a bit more disposable given how much better it seems to slow/stop enemies. Yeah she can set up two follow ups a round but being able to stop a group of a few enemies feels like it has more value, at least early on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Caidin posted:

Soranoa climbs a ladder and deepens his convictions.

Perhaps he's confirming his utilitarian views by using a tool in such a pragmatic fashion? Or is he in fact celebrating his liberty by doing whatever he wants even in a crisis? Or wait no... maybe he seeks the moral high ground...

Also in weapon upgrades you should just always grab the weapon damage one first right? unless your like Benedict or something and just acting as a stonewall buff bot?

Not always on weapon damage. Your mages give no shits about weapon damage, your shield tank cares more about overall HP and your healers care more about evasion and defense.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Not always on weapon damage. Your mages give no shits about weapon damage, your shield tank cares more about overall HP and your healers care more about evasion and defense.

See, the healer weapon damage upgrades also note that it increases their healing power so I wasn't really sure if that meant that Frederica was better off with that or the clear weather effect.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Caidin posted:

See, the healer weapon damage upgrades also note that it increases their healing power so I wasn't really sure if that meant that Frederica was better off with that or the clear weather effect.

I'm pretty confident that healers report the exception rather than the exception being standard and healers being the only one to report it if that makes sense.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Shining Force 2 finally, so I feel like I can start this game now. I look forward to the insanely intricate flow charts people will make showing the different routes. For my first run I will just do whatever but eventually I’ll do some planned routes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
good news, the flowcharts are in the game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK yeah, this goes places. Chapter 10, rat out solsey path. I am currently in a battle where you are doing trial by combat in front of the saintly seven ontop of a tall platform surrounded by damage spikes.
Game good.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK yeah, this goes places. Chapter 10, rat out solsey path. I am currently in a battle where you are doing trial by combat in front of the saintly seven ontop of a tall platform surrounded by damage spikes.
Game good.

I'm on the same "tell everyone who tries to make a deal to pound sand" path, but I got a mission to sneak into Sorsley's hideout and get his fake book. on Chapter 10.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

(number of ending routes)
3 main routes + 1 secret one

The hidden route supposedly requires 4 specific branch choices
this is all from a datamining Triangle Strategy discord

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

More like quadrangle strategy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh huh, for some of the flashback character stories they actually made young versions of the portrait art

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh huh, for some of the flashback character stories they actually made young versions of the portrait art

All characters that were around back then seem to have different portraits.

Path for me so far, at Chapter XVI. Went to Asefrost as Diplomat. Refused to hand over Roland. Accepted Silvio’s offer of alliance. Agreed to smuggle for Sorsley. Decided to reveal Roland to Savsrog. Agreed to hand over the Roselle to Hyzante. Went with Frederica’s plan. Decided to travel home to Glenbrook.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

Some of the utility dialogue is manipulation. Like the father daughter one from the first chapter.

This is a liberty choice, actually.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

willing to settle posted:

This is a liberty choice, actually.

Oh, huh. Benedict liked it so I assume it was utility lol.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh, huh. Benedict liked it so I assume it was utility lol.

For the Scales it will show the choices in a Color. Red is Liberty, Green is Morality, and Yellow is Utility.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The village defense in chapter 11 is a tough one, besides one other combat I haven't had a full party wipe so far but this one got me twice. All finished up now tho.

MonsterEnvy posted:

For the Scales it will show the choices in a Color. Red is Liberty, Green is Morality, and Yellow is Utility.

yeah, but this was a dialogue choice

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 6, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

The village defense in chapter 11 is a tough one, besides one other combat I haven't had a full party wipe so far but this one got me twice. All finished up now tho.

yeah, but this was a dialogue choice

Ahh there I don’t think you can tell beyond logically figuring it out until you get to new game + which I have yet to do.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

the red/green they chose for choices can be a problem for my colorblind eyes so I've had to guess based on the text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gyoru posted:

the red/green they chose for choices can be a problem for my colorblind eyes so I've had to guess based on the text

I had problems with the blue/purple in the demo so I’m glad they added big X’s to the purple panels. I’ll probably have trouble with the red/green choices too, but I’m not there yet. I just beat the first battle lol

Edit: the atrocious voice acting feels more like a feature than a bug. I can enjoy it.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 6, 2022