Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #92 (1961)

For a farmboy, Clark sure doesn't seem to know much about horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #92 (1961)

Ok Superboy, but hear me out here: You can just push the cart itself a little bit to make it roll forward faster if you're moving too fast for people to see. Or better yet if you don't want to mess with the horses drawing the chariot why not just help him cheat by messing with the other racers? You're already giving him an unfair advantage anyway.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Clark's always had trouble with cause-and-effect of basic physics.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

quote:

Superboy #92 (1961)

Reminds me of Supreme's supposed biblical adventures:

Supreme #52b

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 5, 2022

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Action Jacktion posted:

Supreme #52b

I don't remember those covers in the two Supreme trades; do those not include 52b for some reason?

But I love how causally the note mentions Supreme performing biblical miracles without comment!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't remember those covers in the two Supreme trades; do those not include 52b for some reason?

But I love how causally the note mentions Supreme performing biblical miracles without comment!

I think the TPBs leave out the extras from #52, which is unfortunate because you miss an appearance from Grim Eighties Supreme:

(Supreme #52a)

It's in a short story with the best title ever conceived, "What a Friend We Have in Cheeses."

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Haha, that's great! I guess I need to track down those single issues now, which kinda sucks, but I really love Supreme.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

It's in a short story with the best title ever conceived, "What a Friend We Have in Cheeses."

:perfect:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

Supreme #52b

So the moral of the story is... god's not real, it was all a time-travelling rear end in a top hat?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
"Funny Book Federation Decal of Decency"

:allears:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #13 (1943)

Green Lantern #18 (1945)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

So that's how OnlyFans came to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New SpyxFamily

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elfface posted:

He was complaining about spoilers, not inaccurate dating.

I once got a week-long probation for supposedly spoiling a book in a thread title so I'm a little salty sometimes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

This was also just released today

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

This was also just released today

To be fair, unlike the panels I posted, those don't spoil any major events in an ongoing storyline. I'd say it's fine?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think defaulting to spoiler tagging comics that just came out is probably good, even if you don't think it's going to be a big deal

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I was confused too because while I wasn't up 100% on current x-men, I did know that one of the featured players was very specifically dead, and the 2021 date had me thinking I was further behind than originally thought.

I'm still trying to catch up to the fact that Rogue is apparently married to Gambit, the second most annoying X-Man after Cyclops?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know why your surprised that’s been a thing for most of his history in comics

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Their child will have the most powerful accent in comics history.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm still trying to catch up to the fact that Rogue is apparently married to Gambit, the second most annoying X-Man after Cyclops?
I'm just imagining that you were like, flash-frozen in the bottom half of 1990 and this is the very first thing about X-Men you've seen after being thawed out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just wait til they find out about what happened with that throwaway character, Deadpool, from the end of the New Mutants run.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Elissimpark posted:

Just wait til they find out about what happened with that throwaway character, Deadpool, from the end of the New Mutants run.

That Spider-Man kid seems to be all right but, I don't think he can keep up with the big classic heroes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lobok posted:

So that's how OnlyFans came to be.

Boo!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse: Prelude (2014; reprints)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Darthemed posted:

...and that is how tae kwon do was invented.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

...and that is how tae kwon do was invented.

Or, uh, Savate. The French kickboxing style.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #42 (1943)

Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition (2013; reprints)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Darthemed posted:

Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition (2013; reprints)

This tickled my brain just so and brought back the 90's music video by studio Ghibli about a cult getting merced and an angel.

https://vimeo.com/394801904

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #27 (1944)

Spider-Man Unlimited #12 (1996)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When you put it like that, it almost makes dropping a corpse down a smokestack seem somehow unsavory.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Marshall Law excerpt was originally published as Kingdom Of The Blind for anyone wondering. It has a batman expy known as private eye (the panel is him showing a new "Robin" around). It's heavy handed and ham fisted as per uze of the latter Marshall Law, I say as someone who quite enjoyed them as they came out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I'm just imagining that you were like, flash-frozen in the bottom half of 1990 and this is the very first thing about X-Men you've seen after being thawed out.

Honestly, you're not that far off.

Growing up, my intake of superhero comics was almost entirely from my parents' collection of Marvel issues and trades. They had X-Men, Spider-Man, Thor, Avengers (plain and West Coast), and Iron Man, in most cases starting in the late 70s and continuing to somewhere in the mid-80s.

Once I finished reading through those I tried picking up some current issues of my faves (X-Men and Spidey), but found them completely incomprehensible -- this would have been sometime in the late 90s -- and basically resigned myself to just re-reading old comics. So my knowledge of the X-Men mostly ends shortly after the Dire Wraiths/Storm losing her powers/Rachel Summers arriving via timeslide, although there's a few bits and pieces from subsequent years. My exposure to Gambit basically comes entirely from two random issues I picked up in the 90s + a few episodes of X-Men TAS + what I've seen here. My view of the X-Men timeline jumps from like, the Brood and Dire Wraiths and Magneto having philosophical debates with Xavier straight to mutants being immortal and Kate Pryde being a pirate queen.

These days, with the increase in (a) collecting mostly self-contained storylines in trades and (b) information on the internet helping me figure out which ones are worth getting, I've been cautiously dipping my toes back into it, although most of my comic intake is still entirely standalone, non-Marvel stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The greatest origin story ever told

i loving LOVE Bouncing Boy.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man Unlimited #12 (1996)

EPA publishes an impact statement: "Spider-Ashes: Threat or Menace?"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rhyno posted:

The greatest origin story ever told

i loving LOVE Bouncing Boy.

That's fantastic. Is that the super base that was some guy who turned into a rocket, but couldn't turn back?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #18 (1945)

Kobalt #15 (1995)

Superboy #93 (1961)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Elissimpark posted:

That's fantastic. Is that the super base that was some guy who turned into a rocket, but couldn't turn back?

It's got the fins. Sure looks like Fortress Lad to me.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Darthemed posted:

Kobalt #15 (1995)

Cutlery rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022