Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

City of Glompton posted:

I figured mermaid was using Tempest as a hand towel to remove the acid water before touching the baby.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The writers of this show probably lock themselves in a blacklight room full of beanbags and Hendrix albums for two weeks, do Hunter S. Thompson-levels of drugs, and then emerge from the room with the most batshit scripts ever put to paper.

It’s impressive, honestly.

Magnificent, even.

DOOBIE DOOBIE DOO

WE GOT SOME MILKY ROBBITS 4 U

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The only show that is even close to this level of "dosing datura while laying down in a tub full of cockroaches" is 12 Monkeys. And this manages to be less coherent and weirder than a show where causality was an antagonist.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I hope Sue the tree leads a long and prosperous tree life and nothing bad happens to her… Sol is pretty malicious - saying “plant the seed” but leaving out the in yourself part.

I was expecting Tempest to chuck her baby into the sea, but I guess the end result for her was that but slightly different.

I’m trying to figure out the through line between the Sol temple hole man who turned into a werewolf monster (who lived in holes in season 1), the mermaid monsters who love dragging humans into the sea (where snake holes are), and
Grandmother asking how many humans were on the planet. It feels connected, like the next line from her would have been, “They need to leave now.”

idk

gardener Grandma spent thousands of years growing foodpunkins for the race of flying snakes that seemingly made all the holes in the planet and androids themselves…?

how this relates to when Marcus got a whiff of the tooth dust that made the ancient alien into a monster man, but didn’t turn - and he didn’t have Mother’s eyeballs in his stomach protecting him - is weird too.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 5, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two thoughts:

1. How many of the plants in the tropical zone are based on people? One of them now, or all of them always?

2. Is grandmother part of the baby collecting scheme, or just aware of it? (She has an image of the merman in her code when father is talking to her / examining her, and she reacted to the potential of a baby last week).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Metis of the Hallways posted:

!!!

I thought this episode was the finale!

haha. you must've been so pissed off

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The theme song reminds me of BSG, in that It makes me want to sing along with it and mangle it horribly.

“THE DOOOOOOOOR…”

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wolfs posted:

I was expecting Tempest to chuck her baby into the sea, but I guess the end result for her was that but slightly different.

Yeah I kinda thought she'd dragged herself out there so she could give birth to her baby and have it drop off a cliff directly into the acid ocean without her having to look at it, but perhaps that was a little too cruel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah I kinda thought she'd dragged herself out there so she could give birth to her baby and have it drop off a cliff directly into the acid ocean without her having to look at it, but perhaps that was a little too cruel.

Yeah, that's what I got put of her whole "i don't want to turn around" stuff. She was just gonna poop out the baby and let it die from exposure.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i initially thought the singer of the theme was this woman who sings for a band called Little Dragon, after further research this turned out to not be the case. i did discover a similarity: they are both accursed Swedes! i'd know the guttural cry of a Swede anywhere!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonna be moderately disappointed if there isn’t some sort of large scale Acid Mermaid Normandy Invasion in the season finale.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I bet Campion mind melds with the flying, acid proof snake and sends him underwater to rescue the babby.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The snake opens up to reveal a campion sized compartment.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I would have sung the Imperial March as a lullaby for Paul.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I would have sung the Imperial March as a lullaby for Paul.

Im shocked that lizard paul went nowhere

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

The writers of this show probably lock themselves in a blacklight room full of beanbags and Hendrix albums for two weeks, do Hunter S. Thompson-levels of drugs, and then emerge from the room with the most batshit scripts ever put to paper.
Specifically the song 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Paul is definitely a werelizard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Martman posted:

Specifically the song 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)

I think you just cracked the writer’s room code.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This show is loving wack.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Mother or Father are gonna have to save the day with Chocolate Milk in a big late season twist.

Chocolate Milk overrides the Mermen and turns them into neon pigs. The neon pigs then burst like balloons and the settlement is saved.

However, more questions arise and Ragnar looks directly at the fourth wall and slowly flashes a smug grin. Smash cut to the credits.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol bad cgi robot standoff. I want to know all about "grandmother / Botanica(?)". Tell me all about your ancient veiled robot ways.

Why are you using THIS language? (That I already know, but for some reason feel is inferior to the Mithraic language that I was using before...)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
"Tomorrow, Paul and I are going to grow the tree. And then getting you out of here is gonna be a piece of cake."

What? How did Sue think the tree would help them break Marcus out of jail?

They then go on to effortlessly free him without any assistance from the tree, making the whole thing even more nonsensical. Sometimes, the show feels like it was written by one of those scriptwriting AIs.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

!!!

I thought this episode was the finale!

2 more to go, the finale hits March 17th

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SimonChris posted:

Sometimes, the show feels like it was written by one of those scriptwriting AIs.

Praise sol

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

I can scarcely imagine the smorgasbord of drugs and experimental substances involved in making the script of this episode:

*Writers room, Raised by Wolves*

OK Tom, nice work on the baby plot, having it taken by the alien acid Merman was a nice twist. *Tom nods affirmatively, drooling over the table*

Now on to the tree. So we're at the part where Sue managed to open the dodecahedron by singing it some mithraic lullaby. How do we go from the seed to the tree. Dave?

- Dave: Umm..... ehm..... maybe she just plants it?

- Goddamnit Dave, what do you think we're doing here? Take two pills from the pile over there and chug them down with the glass of spiked milk next to you.

- *Dave, after staring into the fabric of the universe for a good 5 minutes* Sue...tree...Sue...tree... Sue becomes the tree!

- Now that's what I'm talking about!

DrThief fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 5, 2022

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Top 10 Favorite Characters

1. Acid death ocean
2. Father
3. Marcus
4. Billy
5. Snek
6. Not Chucky Faceless Robot (tie)
6. Endless Pit that people fall into
7. BDSM mother (only in latest episode)
8. The least annoying kid at this particular moment (but never campion)
9. Lizard Paul
10. Bucket head (season 1 call out)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SimonChris posted:

"Tomorrow, Paul and I are going to grow the tree. And then getting you out of here is gonna be a piece of cake."

What? How did Sue think the tree would help them break Marcus out of jail?

They then go on to effortlessly free him without any assistance from the tree, making the whole thing even more nonsensical. Sometimes, the show feels like it was written by one of those scriptwriting AIs.

She's pretty clearly lost any ability to think clearly the moment she gave herself fully over to Sol. Everyone who's been affected by the signal, except maybe Paul, has gone completely batshit in their certainty of "Sol's" divine plan.

I suspect Marcus and Paul are just going to roll with this new information, and get all in on the "eat of my flesh" part of Christianity.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Is there some sort of psychic coercive component to what people keep calling Sol's voice? Also, weren't they supposed to be protected from it in the tropical zone due to some sort of shield?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think the acid ocean is actually another alien monster and it just burns who it wants

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Vorgen posted:

Is there some sort of psychic coercive component to what people keep calling Sol's voice? Also, weren't they supposed to be protected from it in the tropical zone due to some sort of shield?

I've wondered about how effective that shield actually is -- Marcus seemed to be communicating with Sol as long as he had the ability to, thanks to Mother's eyes.

Sol, in the first season, seemed to be only able to be to influence one follower at a time; the only Mithraic it seemed to speak to was that rapist dude on the way over, then it leaves Mother and goes to Marcus, it leaves Marcus and goes to Paul.

In this episode all three, Marcus, Paul and Mary/Sue, seemed to be euphoric, but the only person who was being directly influenced was Sue.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Scrotum Modem posted:

i wish they would release whole seasons so i could bingewatch this. drat the suspense of this nonsensical scifi acidfantasy show

No way, weekly releases work best for me with this. I love the insanity, but binging it would be overkill on the lunacy. And I love reading everyone's :aaaaa: every week.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've wondered about how effective that shield actually is

I really need to rewatch both seasons, but it feels like the more folks are meddling, the stronger Sol grows. I'm sure grandma is a big deal.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

No way, weekly releases work best for me with this. I love the insanity, but binging it would be overkill on the lunacy. And I love reading everyone's :aaaaa: every week.

I really need to rewatch both seasons, but it feels like the more folks are meddling, the stronger Sol grows. I'm sure grandma is a big deal.

Agreed, this show absolutely benefits from a week's break to really process the weird poo poo and build up our own personal cult of the milksnake.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Is there a reason why everyone save Mammy and Pappy has the shittiest haircuts in the world? (Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I missed it.)

I think that Paul has a little bit of a stereotypical Hitlerjugend/Neonazi haircut and Campion one of the stereotypical artist/hippie family, but many others just look like some fashion victims or DIY 80s knockoff cuts.

So they kinda fit Paul and Campion, but most others are just random rear end-looking.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
I think it's just a "what if" applied to future fashions

I can totally see mullets, undercuts, and terribangs making another round. Campions is just...lack of upkeep. I don't think mother/father have hairdresser protocols installed because creator Campion had a buzz cut and wouldn't have considered it

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Is there a reason why everyone save Mammy and Pappy has the shittiest haircuts in the world? (Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I missed it.)

I think that Paul has a little bit of a stereotypical Hitlerjugend/Neonazi haircut and Campion one of the stereotypical artist/hippie family, but many others just look like some fashion victims or DIY 80s knockoff cuts.

So they kinda fit Paul and Campion, but most others are just random rear end-looking.

the future is obviously grim

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I wish it was socially acceptable to have a buzzcut mullet, I'd get one tomorrow.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Make it socially acceptable. Be the mullet you want to see in the world!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I gave myself one in ‘20 when the show first came out. Having long hair in the back was loving weird! Overall I didn’t hate it until I realized what a dumbass I looked like.

Marcus makes it look better than reality for sure

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Marcus and Sue are good examples of you can make a stupid haircut look good if you're hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

muscles like this! posted:

Marcus and Sue are good examples of you can make a stupid haircut look good if you're hot.

Sue definitely has Muscles Like This. Shredded!

Well, she did. Now she's a tree. Because this show owns.