Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Ah I remembered which one you hated wrong my bad

Majora's Mask is the other one people try to convince everyone is the best ever along with Ocarina and both have aged really badly

Conversely, A Link to the Past is evergreen. Seriously one of my favorite games of all time, I just revisited it late last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As a guy who has looked at hundreds of listings, and toured dozens of houses before we bought, my impressions:

Exterior:
There's no sidewalk
the retaining wall adjacent the driveway should be inspected carefully to see how its handling water. All retaining walls are temporary: it's only a matter of how many years/decades before it has to be adjusted/replaced, so keep that in mind
the driveway itself looks to be in good condition
the front elevation is well proportioned. The very simple roof will be much cheaper to maintain or replace than typical
like almost all decorative shutters, the shutters are not sized correctly for the windows. This is purely a matter of personal taste
Don't like the steps up to the front door. There's no railing. From pic 4, I spy a gap opening between those concrete steps and the front entry deck, probably due to settling. If those steps are sloped at all, they're not to code and potentially dangerous.
The garage has been converted to a bedroom. Check the quality of work on the french door that replaced the original garage door. It looks fine from the pics, just a good thing to look at. Since the roof overhang is narrow along that part of the front, it's likely that water hits those doors when it rains. Make sure everything is well-sealed and no signs of water damage/intrusion.
I don't see any soffit vents. Looks like the attic only vents via the high vents on the gables, and possibly a roof vent. This may or may not provide adequate attic airflow. I don't know, it's just a question I'd ask someone who does.
The back yard slopes right down to the house. Look for what has been done to make sure water flows out and around the house rather than pooling (above or below ground) adjacent to the upslope basement walls. Since the basement is finished, it's possible for there to be hidden water intrusion, so looking for how drainage has been designed while you're outside may be important.
Landscaping looks good otherwise. Love the big windowed shed as a bonus workshop space.
Check how the patio roof is connected to the house roof. Look for signs of water penetration at the seams of that roof.
I don't see a great place to store your lawnmower, etc. indoors, unless you want to bring it into the carpeted basement or use the nice windowed shed for that stuff. Does the shed have utilities run to it? If so, look for its utility box, find out how many amps available, etc.
The fence on the treed side of the house is collapsing, you'll need to work with your neighbor to replace it very soon. Check those trees close to the house, for any signs of foundation damage from roots. Look for any issues with overhang.
Check deck railing for any wobble. Shine a flashlight under the deck, look for any signs of animal activity, dry rot, drainage issues, etc. Looks like a lot of leaves under there. Walk around on the deck, test for any bouncy/soft spots.

Interior:
Looks to have been recently painted, new carpet, new or refinished flooring, etc. That's good for being move-in ready, but be aware this can cover up (rather than fix) some kinds of issues.
The kitchen is pretty basic. I like that they filled the space above the upper cabinets (I don't like empty space there) but IMO it's better if there's extra tall cabinets - I don't mind getting out a stepstool to grab infrequently-used stuff from the top shelf. The covered areas up there may also be used to route power, vents, etc. The counter depth was designed for a shallower refrigerator, that fridge is sticking out badly into the walkspace.
Check if the stove vent actually goes through the attic and out the roof, or if it's venting into the attic space (bad) or just cycles back into your kitchen just above the hood (also not great).
I see baseboard vents. Central air, or baseboard electric? The latter is often not done well - if you can, turn on the heat and listen for ticking/creaking/etc. Good modern baseboard electric should be silent.
Bathroom pic (14) looks OK. Tub looks newer, check tile/grout/seal around the tub for workmanship.
Pics 15-16 shows a really weird room. It's labeled "bedroom" on your blueprint, but it's got like... an entryway, and a partial separation, and 9' wide is pretty narrow? And the closet at the end seems to be missing doors? Maybe you have a plan for this room.
Finished basement has lots of odd nooks and crannies, pretty normal when you finish a basement, but that seems to be where the master bedroom is located. Is this serviced with a mini-split, or is it all central air/A/C? I see a portable unit in pic 21. Is that a dehumidifier (if so that's a red flag... are there moisture issues?) and a pillar you'll have to work around if you use that space. Downstairs bathroom looks alright, but it's directly below that long BR upstairs, so the ceiling fan/vent probably doesn't go anywhere. Figure out how that room airs out/stays dry.
Any security concerns with that french door? It looks straight out to the street. Also, is it double-glazed and well insulated? Could be a cold master BR...

Overall impressions:
It seems like a nice house in reasonably good condition. Some weird layout issues that may or may not bother you. Probably want to do a light to moderate refurbish on the kitchen. Sloped properties always present drainage challenges that may or may not have been dealt with properly ages ago. Huge yard is great for kids, dogs, projects, etc. Price seems fantastic to this Californian. I hope if it passes muster, you get it! Good luck!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 5, 2022

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Just got done watching The Batman and can't stop thinking about how awesome it was. I honestly want to see it again already.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

I hope if it passes muster, you get it! Good luck!

This post owned. Love the effort post.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thanks leper! Literally took notes.

edit* its been on zillow 21 hours and already has been saved 65 times lol

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 5, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I live in a not great part of town. I was awoken by gunshots two days ago. Sounded like a pistol. Full mag dump with some pauses to indicate they were aiming at things.

My landlord bought the house I rent in 2017 for $37k. Neighbor’s house was purchased a few months earlier for $32 (his is slightly smaller). Many houses in the area have sold for $20-40k over the past 20 years. In 2008 at the bubble peak, some of these houses sold in the $70-80k range.

A place around the corner that has a foundation on an addition that is subsiding and needs major repair is about to sell for $150. These are cinder block homes built in the 50s where many still do not have central heat and air.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sending the kid to stay with grandma today. First time we’ll be kid free for a day since before the pandemic. I’m busting!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/markhachman/status/1499617782299643907

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

No Butt Stuff posted:

lol my brother bought a house in morganton a few years ago for like 80 grand and it's work 100k more now. this whole area is insane.

Last March I bought my current house. Zillow currently values it $150k above what I paid which is about 33% more.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Gonna laugh if a bunch of right wing stooges go broke because of this.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sending the kid to stay with grandma today. First time we’ll be kid free for a day since before the pandemic. I’m busting!

Something something sorry for your wife

Look at this social media discrimination against conservatives. Cancel Culture indeed!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I await the impending pregnancy announcement.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Not great!

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1500128330477182978

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

https://youtu.be/NxXufI6-OIE

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Timby posted:

Conversely, A Link to the Past is evergreen. Seriously one of my favorite games of all time, I just revisited it late last year.
If you know LTTP very well, you can try the randomizer version. I don't know all of the details but one big thing is randomizing loot in chests but doing so in a way that doesn't break the game by putting vital items behind gates.

There's also a randomizer for Super Metroid, and a mod that combines the two randomizer games so you go between Hyrule and Brinstar or what have you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Was gonna ask why she was over there but from the article:

quote:

Many W.N.B.A. players compete in Russia, where salaries are more lucrative, during the American league’s off-season.

This part is also not great although not the subject we should be worrying too much about right now. Just another thing to be annoyed about.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I bounced off of all of the 3D Zelda's (tried OoT twice and never cared enough to beat it), but BotW was one of my favorite games over the last 10 years, even playing the worse WiiU version. I am super picky about games so that is a strong endorsement. My mom and I had detailed graph paper maps for the original Zelda dungeons, and I remember her waking up ~7 year old me at midnight to ask which bushes to burn down for the various secrets in them. I still remember the path in the secret forest and I have probably not played it in 30 years.

Good luck house hunting all peeps, essentially bowing out after looking for 18 months or so. It feels like we should be able to buy something due to how much money we have saved, but still cannot afford anything better than what we already have, prices going up just as fast as we are accruing money. Luckily bought 8 years ago so we are already in a better position than most, but trying to get something like 400 sqft bigger so each kid could have their own bedroom would use every last penny we have and increase our monthly costs something like 4 fold.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Fiz, and all other house hunters, do check out the home buying thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

Lots of good info. Be forewarned, Motronic can be an rear end in a top hat but he's an rear end in a top hat with fantastic knowledge on the subject who is trying desperately to help you.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Timby posted:

Top down 2D and pixel graphics had been more or less mastered at that point, OoT and MM were both the early lovely days of 3D

LttP is my favorite Zelda to this day

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My problem is I pay $705/month in rent because I live in a poor part of town. I cannot buy a home in my neighborhood and end up with cheaper monthly oop expense.

Unless I target a home that is $200k+ now, I can’t even upgrade the quality of my living arrangements. For actual upgrades I have to go over $250 which is a steep monthly expense increase for minor creature comforts. At the moment (until all rents finish doubling), I can’t buy a house and come out ahead since I’m moving in four years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1500156961505034250?s=21

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It makes my brain hurt

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

I bounced off of all of the 3D Zelda's (tried OoT twice and never cared enough to beat it), but BotW was one of my favorite games over the last 10 years, even playing the worse WiiU version. I am super picky about games so that is a strong endorsement. My mom and I had detailed graph paper maps for the original Zelda dungeons, and I remember her waking up ~7 year old me at midnight to ask which bushes to burn down for the various secrets in them. I still remember the path in the secret forest and I have probably not played it in 30 years.

Good luck house hunting all peeps, essentially bowing out after looking for 18 months or so. It feels like we should be able to buy something due to how much money we have saved, but still cannot afford anything better than what we already have, prices going up just as fast as we are accruing money. Luckily bought 8 years ago so we are already in a better position than most, but trying to get something like 400 sqft bigger so each kid could have their own bedroom would use every last penny we have and increase our monthly costs something like 4 fold.

One thing you might do is add on. I resisted and resisted the idea of doing so, but in the end, we added on to our house back in 2018. It ended up costing us $48k but we also redid all the floors in the house at the same time. The actual extra bedroom itself cost $29k. I'm sure prices are higher but it's worth a look.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That’s for the air freshener.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
As someone who is trying to use an electric pressure cleaner to do the entire outside of the house before hurricane windows are installed, there is no such thing as a superfluous outlet.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

I'm unreasonably biased by a bad experience but never ever buy a house with a finished basement. It's expensive to do well and cheap and easy to do horribly. Further, local government inspectors do gently caress all to confirm the job was done correctly. Then your legal options are limited by the previous owners ability to claim incompetence in instances of fraud.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Silly Burrito posted:

One thing you might do is add on. I resisted and resisted the idea of doing so, but in the end, we added on to our house back in 2018. It ended up costing us $48k but we also redid all the floors in the house at the same time. The actual extra bedroom itself cost $29k. I'm sure prices are higher but it's worth a look.

We just started investigating that, I talked to a coworker who has contractor family, I think it will be significantly more than 48k from what he has mentioned. I will likely also need to completely remodel the layout of the house, since the layout would not really make sense where the only place to add a room without going up would be to have the bedroom off of another bedroom.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm unreasonably biased by a bad experience but never ever buy a house with a finished basement. It's expensive to do well and cheap and easy to do horribly. Further, local government inspectors do gently caress all to confirm the job was done correctly. Then your legal options are limited by the previous owners ability to claim incompetence in instances of fraud.

:yeah:

Ours was finished, had some questionable areas, and eight years later we've gutted every bit of it except some strategic remaining drywall and a temporary plywood wall with a door to keep the cat out of some areas. Having the basement unfinished loving rules for redoing the upstairs, too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Back home now...feels good to have only lost 60 dollars gambling in Las Vegas! I call that a huge win!!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Lol, I caught that immediately in the Zillow listing. Previous owners do weird poo poo a lot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:yeah:

Ours was finished, had some questionable areas, and eight years later we've gutted every bit of it except some strategic remaining drywall and a temporary plywood wall with a door to keep the cat out of some areas. Having the basement unfinished loving rules for redoing the upstairs, too.

My parents had their house built (when I was 6-7 years old) and specifically told the contractors to leave the basement unfinished. They ended up finishing it over the next 5 years, slowly. It's a real neat spot now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

We just started investigating that, I talked to a coworker who has contractor family, I think it will be significantly more than 48k from what he has mentioned. I will likely also need to completely remodel the layout of the house, since the layout would not really make sense where the only place to add a room without going up would be to have the bedroom off of another bedroom.

That’s kind of what we did. We remodeled the back bathroom and extended it to give my oldest daughter a large closet. But it was basically cut through a Jack and Jill bathroom. A good contractor can figure out a way to make it work.

And speaking of weird plugs, when we redid the back bathroom, we added receptacles all over and one right next to a toilet. Just in case we ever decided to add a warming bidet. Still haven’t done it but it’s there when we want to.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s for the air freshener.
It's for the tripping hazard.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BotW is incredible. It feels completely half done and devoid of content. That feeling is inescapable.

Despite the above, it also feels like one of the best games of all time.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I now, finally, have an instant pot. I am excited like a 8-year old on their birthday.

Hit me up with your instant pot recipes or recipe sources!!!

I’m gonna dump ingredients into this machine and then hit a button and have yummy dinner!!!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s so goddamn fast for good veggies

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s so goddamn fast for good veggies

Yeah there's a lot of fancy stuff you can do (and try it out, it can do a lot), but veggies or plain old damned beans in a hurry is where I started really loving my Instant Pot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I now, finally, have an instant pot. I am excited like a 8-year old on their birthday.

Hit me up with your instant pot recipes or recipe sources!!!

I’m gonna dump ingredients into this machine and then hit a button and have yummy dinner!!!

Cheesecake. Restaurant quality cheesecake is possible in that thing if you like those.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I decided it was warm enough to go brush up on my golf and went down the street to the little $7 9-hole municipal par-3 course this morning. At one point I hit a ball under a grouping of pine trees and went to go retrieve it and oh look a baggie of heroin next to my ball

Lol.

E: oh also my solidly centrist Democrat boomer neighbor next door put up a hand painted sign for Ukraine in his front window, it says SUPPORT URKRAIN

Double lol.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1500120431382175750

https://twitter.com/RepDeanPhillips/status/1500131161770766336