Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1498090661014212609?t=1B1RqClK04oRi-JIqX3kPw&s=19

Holy poo poo I was not expecting an unambiguous good to potentially result from this

I pray to God it's not just kayfabe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

We need some Kojima esque villain to hold the world hostage through nukes or mechs so the world can unite against only to be told through a very long speech that there were never any nukes or mechs and the real villain was the gas companies.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The real villain was us all along

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Slow News Day posted:

The real villain was us all along

The real villain was the companies we incorporated along the way.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/status/1498090661014212609?t=1B1RqClK04oRi-JIqX3kPw&s=19

Holy poo poo I was not expecting an unambiguous good to potentially result from this

I pray to God it's not just kayfabe

If this happens it is definitely a good thing, but Shellenberger is a charlatan that shouldn't be signal-boosted.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I believe it when it their new baseload powers up 10-15 years from now and contributes to their grid.

This would be the third....third? time in a decade that a German politician got very serious about energy policy for geopolitical / national security reasons, only to be undercut either by parliamentary coalition negotiations shortly afterwards

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 2, 2022

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Random climate question. Is it worse for climate change to replace a gas stove with an electric one, thus not getting the full lifespan of the old stove? I'm very keen to disconnect all fossil fuels from our home, but there's some disagreement about whether it's worth doing despite us being able to afford it. The alternative is to continue using our gas stove for 2-5 years until we move or it breaks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
Individual choices like this one have negligible impact.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

yea multi part answer
a.) this level of inane lifestyle stuff doesnt matter to anyone but you, so do what you feel right about
b.) the contrarian concern troll about replacing a fossil fuel thing actually being worse because up front blah blah is literally always wrong, stop doing it, stop humoring people who do it

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Even ignoring life cycle stuff, there's evidence that aging gas stoves lead to poorer house air quality

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you're renovating or just replacing appliances, there is absolutely no reason to not go with induction or at least glass ceramic cooktops/stoves.

Even just from a cleaning perspective, a glass top is so much easier to deal with.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Scam Likely posted:

Random climate question. Is it worse for climate change to replace a gas stove with an electric one, thus not getting the full lifespan of the old stove? I'm very keen to disconnect all fossil fuels from our home, but there's some disagreement about whether it's worth doing despite us being able to afford it. The alternative is to continue using our gas stove for 2-5 years until we move or it breaks.

If you can afford it I’d say go for it. The improvement in indoor air quality alone is worth the change. Plus frankly an induction stove is just better - it cooks food just as well, boils water much faster, and has all sorts of quality of life improvements over an old gas stove. In terms of the climate impact, I’d say that two things jump out at me: Old gas stoves are by far the leakiest, so even if it’s functional it certainly isn’t ideal. And the climate impact of a new appliance is likely going to last for years, even if you move out. If you disconnect a home from fossil fuels, it probably won’t ever be reconnected. That’s a long term impact for sure.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/07/1015460605/gas-stove-emissions-climate-change-health-effects

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

MightyBigMinus posted:

yea multi part answer
a.) this level of inane lifestyle stuff doesnt matter to anyone but you, so do what you feel right about
b.) the contrarian concern troll about replacing a fossil fuel thing actually being worse because up front blah blah is literally always wrong, stop doing it, stop humoring people who do it

Yeah, this. Getting rid of fossil fuel-consuming devices with brand new electric replacements usually breaks even between 2 and 5 years. The only way it doesn't is if you're not using the appliance/car/mower whatever in which case you probably wouldn't be thinking about replacing it. Additional wrongness is that break-even analyses never include the impact of reducing the marketshare and profits of fossil fuel producers and infrastructure owners. Every dollar you're not giving the gas company is a dollar they can't use to propagandize you and your neighbors and lobby your local government that gas is good actually.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll second induction too. I've only ever cooked on electric myself since that's what my apartment had so it was quit shocking how bad gas was when I had to use it an an airb&b. I mean it cooked ok but the heat and air quality impact was immediate and horrible. Easily worth to replace just based on that.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
I have to know how one can notice an effect on "air quality" indoors unless you're one of the majority of clueless dipshits who always have their windows closed (which probably means you're extremely dependent on AC, in which case gently caress you for an eternity).

I've used gas stoves all my life and have never once noticed a difference precisely because I have all windows open 24/7/365. I dont give a poo poo if snow comes pouring in, Im not closing that window. Stale air is infinitely more harmful than cold or hot weather.

Every time I visited people who prefer having all windows closed/one window half-open-kinda I could smell their farts from last week still lingering inside the household the second I walk in, and the fish kebabs they made last month. They usually dont even notice the stench because they breathe that poo poo all year round. I've lost several friends due to this. Please learn about air circulation, people.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tony Tone posted:

I have to know how one can notice an effect on "air quality" indoors unless you're one of the majority of clueless dipshits who always have their windows closed (which probably means you're extremely dependent on AC, in which case gently caress you for an eternity).

I've used gas stoves all my life and have never once noticed a difference precisely because I have all windows open 24/7/365. I dont give a poo poo if snow comes pouring in, Im not closing that window. Stale air is infinitely more harmful than cold or hot weather.

Every time I visited people who prefer having all windows closed/one window half-open-kinda I could smell their farts from last week still lingering inside the household the second I walk in, and the fish kebabs they made last month. They usually dont even notice the stench because they breathe that poo poo all year round. I've lost several friends due to this. Please learn about air circulation, people.

I assume someone else pays your heating bill? I also assume you don't rent cause keeping your windows open for a long time in winter can produce thousands of $ of mold damage in a short time?

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

I assume someone else pays your heating bill? I also assume you don't rent cause keeping your windows open for a long time in winter can produce thousands of $ of mold damage in a short time?

I havent used indoor heating or cooling for the past 5 years. Mold accumulates precisely due to closed spaces, not the other way around.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tony Tone posted:

This post is really inexplicable. I never thought I'd see a guy posting against the concept of central heating. Why do you even live indoors

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tony Tone posted:

I havent used indoor heating or cooling for the past 5 years. Mold accumulates precisely due to closed spaces, not the other way around.

What the gently caress is the point of your weird aggressive rant then? Something like half of the world's population lives in temperate or continental climate zone. Great for you that you don't? Congratulations!

Keeping your windows open all the time in winter leads to a cooling of the frame and walls, which leads to condensation in these areas and mold. It's ventilation 101 and you can observe this effect every winter in your kitchen if you are in temperate/continental climate zone.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I also hate people who use a relatively efficient technology to both control temperature and fight humidification

Anyway, back to cooking with burning petrochemicals that fill my house with water vapor and other combustion products, it's fine because my windows are always open and if the relative humidity is 90% then it's simply god's plan that my walls are filled with fudge

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

What the gently caress is the point of your weird aggressive rant then? Something like half of the world's population lives in temperate or continental climate zone. Great for you that you don't? Congratulations!

Keeping your windows open all the time in winter leads to a cooling of the frame and walls, which leads to condensation in these areas and mold. It's ventilation 101 and you can observe this effect every winter in your kitchen if you are in temperate/continental climate zone.

I literally live just above the loving Equator, where condensation and humidity are far more prevalent than in most Western countries year-round, and your concerns are wildly exaggerated.

The point of my rant is that there are people here who are both concerned with climate change and still think "central heating" indoors is mandatory to your survival or something. Just wear a loving jacket in your office/home, or take some clothes off if it's summer time and you're particularly uncomfortable.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tony Tone posted:

I literally live just above the loving Equator, where condensation and humidity are far more prevalent than in most Western countries year-round, and your concerns are wildly exaggerated.

The point of my rant is that there are people here who are both concerned with climate change and still think "central heating" indoors is mandatory to your survival or something. Just wear a loving jacket in your office/home, or take some clothes off if it's summer time and you're particularly uncomfortable.

lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tony Tone posted:

Something like 250 people died in one week in Texas last year because it got too cold and the grid wasn't prepared to keep all that fraudulent central heating running at the same time.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on what killed them.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
Like, can you imagine the loving hubris

I cant wait for climate change to wreck havoc on your domicile.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i dont even know what the gently caress you're trying to say

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

The Oldest Man posted:

Something like 250 people died in one week in Texas last year because it got too cold and the grid wasn't prepared to keep all that fraudulent central heating running at the same time.

I'm curious as to your thoughts on what killed them.

Probably the multitude of other health issues that plague Western citizens, like poor health and other background illnesses. And maybe just a touch of over-reliance on comfort and technology, and plain boneheadedness.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tony Tone posted:

Like, can you imagine the loving hubris

I cant wait for climate change to wreck havoc on your domicile.

How is it going to wreak havoc if the solution is as simple as like, putting on a jacket

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i dont even know what the gently caress you're trying to say

I think they are doing a bit. Making fun of luddites maybe? I dunno

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

I think they are doing a bit. Making fun of luddites maybe? I dunno

If it's a bit I'm curious about it

Tony Tone posted:

Probably the multitude of other health issues that plague Western citizens, like poor health and other background illnesses. And maybe just a touch of over-reliance on comfort and technology, and plain boneheadedness.

So if all these soft western illness-havers are relying on heating to literally not die of hypothermia, is your prescription that those people should just kindly go in the ground when it gets cold out? Since obviously their jackets and blankets did not save them unless you are suggesting that they just confusedly looked at each other in tshirts and shorts as their homes fell to below freezing temperatures and then died befuddled deaths unsure of what was causing their bodies to shut down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
American dying of hypothermia, shooting a semi-automatic at the encroaching cold in confusion

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

How is it going to wreak havoc if the solution is as simple as like, putting on a jacket

If it floods you simply

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6MbdDgPPdxki4jD2/giphy.mp4

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tony Tone posted:

I havent used indoor heating or cooling for the past 5 years. ... I literally live just above the loving Equator

I mean if I lived at the Equator I probably also would leave my windows open year round, but people do actually live in other places or have other lived experiences than you. Of course my kitchen doesn't have windows since I live in an apartment, so it still wouldn't improve the indoor air quality as much as not having a fossil fuel stove.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Assuming the air outside isn’t a thick blanket of smoke (hello west cost fire season) or otherwise wildly hostile to human existence do try and open the windows a few minutes every day. If nothing else it feels like I’m bringing in fresh air.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Tony Tones posting is likely bait, or extreme hubris and arrogance.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Do you think they know that 20% of the EU's uranium supply comes from Russia? (And another 19% from Kazakhstan).
So while probably good for the climate, it doesn't help with the goal of becoming less dependent on Russia for energy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Uranium can be sourced elsewhere, heck it can even be mined in europe (Sweden had such plans in the 60s and 70s). There's also reprocessing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tony Tone posted:

Would be a shame if your location experienced a sudden and unexpected sub-zero drop in temperature with snow and ice.

Better stock up on some winter layers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tamba posted:

Do you think they know that 20% of the EU's uranium supply comes from Russia? (And another 19% from Kazakhstan).
So while probably good for the climate, it doesn't help with the goal of becoming less dependent on Russia for energy.

The cost is not on the same scale, and uranium is trivially sourced elsewhere.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
Yeah like one ships worth of ore might be enough. Enriched a few containers lol.

It’s so so goddamn much less than fossil fuels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I went to check the numbers for natural emissions vs anthropogenic emissions, and found this paper that seems wildly inaccurate, can anyone tell me if I'm missing something?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...%20earthquakes.

quote:

The results indicate that the global annual GHG emissions range approximately between 54.33 and 75.50 Gt CO2-eq, of which natural emissions account for 18.13–39.30 Gt CO2-eq, with the most likely value being approximately 29.07 Gt CO2-eq. According to the GCP report, the global anthropogenic emissions have increased from 22 Gt CO2-eq in 1990 to 36.2 Gt CO2-eq in 2016. The amounts of natural and anthropogenic GHGs emissions are roughly of the same order of magnitude. Anthropogenic emissions account for approximately 55.46% of the total global GHGs emissions

(By comparison, these are the numbers I was looking for: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11638-climate-myths-human-co2-emissions-are-too-tiny-to-matter/)