Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
In my college library there was an actual book filled with academic essays on Harry Potter. Sadly the only thing I remember is someone comparing Harry Potter to Sylvia Plath because a lot of father figures die in both works I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

In my college library there was an actual book filled with academic essays on Harry Potter. Sadly the only thing I remember is someone comparing Harry Potter to Sylvia Plath because a lot of father figures die in both works I guess?

There are probably a fair few courses in lit departments still built around Harry Potter for one reason or another, although the number must be down considerably from its 2012-2015 height.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
By simple virtue of its success it's a work that deserves examination, even if that is just a sort of easy "yeah turns out most of us will happily eat poo poo if it has nice packaging" criticism.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

There are probably a fair few courses in lit departments still built around Harry Potter for one reason or another, although the number must be down considerably from its 2012-2015 height.

Yeah in 2012-2015 Rowling could do no wrong it seemed. Unless you were a minority asking where the minority characters were in Hogwarts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

It wouldn't be noticeable except the books do run down what everybody else gets and gives as presents.

From Goblet of Fire

quote:

“Wow, Harry —” He had just opened Harry’s present, a Chudley Cannon hat. “Cool!” He jammed it onto his head, where it clashed
horribly with his hair.

Order of the Phoenix

quote:

“Good haul this year,” he informed Harry through a cloud of paper. “Thanks for the Broom Compass,

[...]

On their way downstairs they met Hermione. “Thanks for the book, Harry!” she said happily. “I’ve been wanting that New Theory of Numerology for ages!

Half-Blood Prince

quote:

Nice one, Harry!” said Ron enthusiastically, waving the new pair of Quidditch Keeper’s gloves Harry had given him

This is admittedly for Ron's birthday so I guess Harry maybe just didn't get anything for him that Christmas. Or it's just not noted by the narrative because it's completely unimportant and the series is from Harry's very limited POV. I guess it's up to the reader.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Violet_Sky posted:

If someone told me this I would joke "yeah that makes sense, both works are roughly on the same level intellectually" :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Tbh I don't think the finer points of Harry's gift giving matter much in the context of the money issues, but the Weasley family's money problems just getting downplayed and solved off screen as the books progressed was definitely a thing. Harry having giant stacks of cartoon gold coins that get ignored is a product of child book logic crumpling under the increasing weight of trying to mature up the story and make them seem more adult, and then later attempts to build an expanded universe of adult stories off of. There was no thought but into it at the time and doing anything besides ignoring it would require to many other challenging thoughts to bother with.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Violet_Sky posted:

harry’s Quest For A Dad is a longrunning joke on the shrieking shack, which of course culminates in BookDad and the reveal that dad = book = Snape

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Soup du Jour posted:

harry’s Quest For A Dad is a longrunning joke on the shrieking shack, which of course culminates in BookDad and the reveal that dad = book = Snape

I've been rediscovering the books thanks to them and Harry is a lot more interested in boys than I remember.

Harry Potter is Bi, okay.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

It's up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJazjz9ZsA

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I asked for this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A collective 5 hours of video content between Shaun and HBomb this week. A sign of the end times.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The guy who did the Austin Powers in Mass Effect video did a few bangers recently featuring Mr Bean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWxL2mhPvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bW-wjC61E0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOnBcrElblE

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Sarcopenia posted:

Are we missing the part where he doesn't even give Christmas presents to anyone? Like not even some random piece of 1p muggle trash for Arthur? Also, this is predicated on him never ever getting a job?
...Did you somehow miss the exact, singled-out portion of my post that bemoans how Harry never gives Christmas presents to anyone? (Which, huh, actually turns out to be wrong, apparently. Good catches, NikkolasKing)

Also, "I will probably be employed in a decade, I guess" is not a particularly compelling reason for a twelve year-old orphan to be buying cars for his friends' families.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m 1/3 of the way through the Hbomb video and is there a reason he’s using Darkseed 2 music as background

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

I’m 1/3 of the way through the Hbomb video and is there a reason he’s using Darkseed 2 music as background

why not

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soup du Jour posted:

THIS will explain everything

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Darkseed 2 is more cyberpunk than Cyperpunk is

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuns with Guns posted:

When people say Rowling went the least interesting or dumbest way with things, they also mean that every other way you could go with a plot point or setting details would also be more interesting to read about. Dramatically, humorously, just in a satisfying narrative for whatever age level you'd expect the books to target.

I read the HP books when I was about of matched ages to the characters. Would've really liked book 5 more if it had some time travel antics in it instead of dully breaking all the time turners in what amounts to a sidebar. I put that book down for like 4 months because I hated the middle of it so much. The fact that so much of the plot of that book could've been avoided by Harry opening up a gift Sirius gave him on the train to Hogwarts was also infuriating to my teenage self. It wasn't even a plot detail that needed to be added and the book would've been better without noting it at all.

Heck, even take a look at the off the cuff example Shaun came up with to solve the Weasley's money problems and Ron's broken wand in the second book: Harry finding some of Voldmort's wizard treasure in the Chamber of Secrets and using it to pay back the Weasleys and Harry getting Ron a replacement for his broken wand and then Ron deliberately tricking Gilderoy Lockhart by giving him the broken wand instead of his new one both work way better for the narrative from a broad perspective.

Also to the folks discussing Harry not giving other people Christmas gifts: I don't think it's mentioned that he gives anyone anything for Christmas in The Chamber of Secrets, which is the one that's relevant to the discussion as Shaun's video only brings Harry's lack of gift giving up for that school year because the Weasley's being in hard financial straights is such a recurring element of that book.

Soup du Jour posted:

Oh no! Not the Hall of Death theme again! The only way out of there is death!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hardy3potter came out when I was like 3 but I don't think they speciffied if Harry had like,a half million or tens of millions.

Soup du Jour posted:

Not the first time he's done it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

It wouldn't be noticeable except the books do run down what everybody else gets and gives as presents.

i completely forgot about this until you mentioned it. with the same breathless yet sterile excitement as dickens describing food, every christmas within harry potter is a grocery list of 30000000 toys and candies

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acerbatus posted:

Hardy3potter came out when I was like 3 but I don't think they speciffied if Harry had like,a half million or tens of millions.
They specified that he had infinite money because the name of the first book is a concept that "real" alchemists believed existed and if you put in random chunks of metal you got gold and silver out.

She also kind of yoinked the Deathly Hallows symbol from the same source which is pretty funny in retrospect.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I dunno why you keep bringin that up man, I'm pretty sure the Philosopher's Stone fckin exploded or something. It didn't even belong to Harry in the first place?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 6, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

They specified that he had infinite money because the name of the first book is a concept that "real" alchemists believed existed and if you put in random chunks of metal you got gold and silver out.

She also kind of yoinked the Deathly Hallows symbol from the same source which is pretty funny in retrospect.

This is just wrong. People so busy trying to be mad about a children's book they can't even get basic facts right.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can literally sense that we're about to get into the Poor Reading Comprehension vs Worse Reading Comprehension: FIGHT! portion of the thread, which at least is still better than talking about RLM

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020

BrianWilly posted:

I dunno why you keep bringin that up man, I'm pretty sure the Philosopher's Stone fckin exploded or something. It didn't even belong to Harry in the first place?

It was destroyed off-screen by dumbledore after the climax of the book, therefore eventually killing its immortal owner Nicolas Flamel who we also never saw. even as a kid I was disappointed that for some reason Flamel was set up but never seen, was that another dropped plot thread?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nicolas Flamel is a real historical figure who -- according to real historical "legends" ie stuff people made up about him -- did create the actual Philosopher's Stone irl. I dunno if it's a dropped plot point that he never appears; this was the first book so like, who knows what Rowling was thinking. Also, the plots are generally written pretty thin in the first place so that there are a ton of important characters that get mentioned but never appear, so it's just as likely that Rowling simply wanted to reference this historical person (who's a fictional wizard in her world) without ever intending him to be a full character who Harry meets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiaer posted:

It was destroyed off-screen by dumbledore after the climax of the book, therefore eventually killing its immortal owner Nicolas Flamel who we also never saw. even as a kid I was disappointed that for some reason Flamel was set up but never seen, was that another dropped plot thread?

He shows up in the second Fantastic Beasts movie for no real reason other than it takes place in an area where he might have been at the time.

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020

He shows up in the second Fantastic Beasts movie for no real reason other than it takes place in an area where he might have been at the time.

at last, my 10-year-old self has closure

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BrianWilly posted:

Because he had it for a while due to the weird shell game that Dumbledore plays with the Gringott's vault, Harry's visit to his own vault, and the Mirror of Erised hidden at the end of a really fancy episode of The Crystal Maze with lots of metal to chuck into it.

Of course we also later see a curse that exponentially duplicates treasure to try kill people, and Voldemort has cheated death with horcruxes so it's unclear why anyone would care about the stone at all :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

It would have been cooler if he'd intentionally added one extra second, just to gently caress with the symmetry.

Thanks for still reading this stupid thread, Hbomberguy

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Harry retrieves the stone from the Mirror of Erised at the very end of the book, and it's destroyed in the fight with Voldemort. He has it in his possession for several minutes at most. There's no weird shell game, Hagrid just retrieves the Stone from the vault at the same day Harry visits his.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Because he had it for a while due to the weird shell game that Dumbledore plays with the Gringott's vault, Harry's visit to his own vault, and the Mirror of Erised hidden at the end of a really fancy episode of The Crystal Maze with lots of metal to chuck into it.

Of course we also later see a curse that exponentially duplicates treasure to try kill people, and Voldemort has cheated death with horcruxes so it's unclear why anyone would care about the stone at all :shrug:
Harry literally never holds the stone until the finale of the book and then it's destroyed.

It's explicitly explained why Voldemort still wanted the stone in the exact chapter that first explains horcruxes, but I'll leave that to you to find out when you actually read the books ;)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and you'll find out why nobody cares when you read another book

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Harry retrieves the stone from the Mirror of Erised at the very end of the book, and it's destroyed in the fight with Voldemort. He has it in his possession for several minutes at most. There's no weird shell game, Hagrid just retrieves the Stone from the vault at the same day Harry visits his.

For years I thought the thing Hagrid got from the vault was the Invisibility Cloak. :eng99:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BrianWilly posted:

Harry literally never holds the stone until the finale of the book and then it's destroyed.

It's explicitly explained why Voldemort still wanted the stone in the exact chapter that first explains horcruxes, but I'll leave that to you to find out when you actually read the books ;)
I've read them four or five years back. The justification felt extremely hollow at the time. Also you may remember all the metal plot McGuffins between the Mirror and getting back to the corridors which are now useless and accessible to a 12 year old who is still in the "holy poo poo magic!" phase of life

YggiDee posted:

The shell game is Hagrid bringing Harry to his vault as a cover so anyone watching from outside would assume that the stone is still in the vault, which is why it gets broken into afterwards, and then making a big deal about not going into the room with the big metaphorical "NOTHING INTERESTING IN HERE" sign on the door. It's not destroyed in the fight, Dumbledore does that afterwards.

Alaois posted:

and you'll find out why nobody cares when you read another book
Whoa now, hold on. Rowling is exquisite at crafting insults. Really well made multi-layered shots at a person's personality and appearence all at once. True mastery only attainable by being a deeply mean person with way too many grudges to air.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the reason the money poo poo sucks is, as Shaun pointed out, in the early books Harry was very explicitly written as rather emotionally intelligent and empathetic about money issues coming from his own background and all. I forgot if the 'I'll trade you good candy for your bad sandwich' scene was in the book but in other times for sure in both book and movie versions he very explicitly tries to help Ron and his friends out without overtly being mr big dick swinging 'here's some gold for the poor motherfuckers I hang with'. Then JK fixes that by just kinda making him stop thinking about it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe hbomber dropped a loving Brigand Oaxaca reference that the all time high player count of 22 would get :lol:

Bit old now but Tehsnakerer did a video on it for anyone curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjMQ2q_nsh8

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kinda random but seems as good a place as any to ask this.

Is Voidburger kinda famous now or something, at least beyond this forum? I was just watching a Phantasmagoria 2 LP I liked and it got me Googling the game and finding out about this Conversations with Curtis thing where the star of the game interviews folks. I'm like "neat." The article says he interviewed his fellow cast of the game and...Voidburger.

And I'm just kinda confused. I know she left the forum years ago now, maybe she did something afterward that made this sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Kinda random but seems as good a place as any to ask this.

Is Voidburger kinda famous now or something, at least beyond this forum? I was just watching a Phantasmagoria 2 LP I liked and it got me Googling the game and finding out about this Conversations with Curtis thing where the star of the game interviews folks. I'm like "neat." The article says he interviewed his fellow cast of the game and...Voidburger.

And I'm just kinda confused. I know she left the forum years ago now, maybe she did something afterward that made this sensible.

She recently got hired at Giantbomb as a video producer/on screen talent.

Edit: Well, "recently" as of a couple months ago.