Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The plot does suffer from Middle Child of Now A Trilogy syndrome.
Both Big Bads were let downs. Neither of them had any real presence.

The Regalia/Rebel thing felt like a wet fart. She or her forces felts like they mattered. At least have named lieutenants that she speaks to that you kill to make it feel like you were undermining her. Then it would of been an easy fix to frame the battle as a Last ditch Suicidal attack/'If I can't take control of the Clans I'ma blow up the museum' tantrum instead of apparently a 'Grand Army invasion?'
Or have it you kill her at the meeting and frame it as 'Welp the civil war is over but we still have scraps to clean up'.

The Zeniths have the same issue. They just simply do not pop up enough through the world. The whole 'escape vectors' thing could of been dropped in so much earlier without really spoiling anything until the ball drops at the end reveal. Even just having some datacubes or idle NPC conversation of some tribe guy writing 'I saw some guy floating through the sky!' or whatever, or having a rare Specter fight at a point of interest. Anything to make it feel like they were actually doing something.

I do love Sylens' overly elaborate 'peace out bitches' plan though.
And that the Zeniths made Faro Plague 2.0, now with extra angry AI billionaire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Definitely agree about Regalla, her rebels never felt like a threat and depending on the order in which you do the missions she can dip out of narrative for like 40 hours without really accomplishing anything. The Tenakth kept going on about how she would bring doom to Hekarro and I was like "sis did you just see me out there I've blown up 5 rebel outposts since breakfast."

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

It's not quite a beeline to Meridian situation, but I realize that I picked up a weapon in my early twenties that I could level to max that same play session, put it to good use, and never found any other hunter bow that was more than a sidegrade before I finished the game with it.

So let me rave about the Sunshot Hunter Bow.

After the eye of the earth I went for the first tallneck I saw, which is the one that's progression blocked, so I went further south to the stillsands tallneck and wound up doing that area first. The bow itself came from the quest (the final) Stillsands Salvage Contract: Rollerback Salvage - which is the one where you wind up solo fighting a shellsnapper on the side of a hill - which was an honestly really tough fight early in the game. It was a pretty big upgrade over whatever I was using already, and it only took Greenshine + 1 luminous brainstem to max it out, something I highly recommend spending your 'shine on. I had stumbled across a number of slabs by that point, largely by trying to go west before I got the memo that it was forbidden, so maybe it's a taller order for others to level it to 5 right away, but baby it's worth it.

At max, its advanced hunter arrows, which only take shards and wood to craft, deal 74 impact and 200 tear damage. Already good, but let's look at the perks: +15% overdraw damage, +25% damage to corroding enemies, +40% damage to aerial enemies, and the kicker, +65% draw speed. It shoots so fast and hard; it's absurdly above the curve for that point in the game. The only other weapons that I found that could compare at all by game's end were both arena weapons. The marshal's hunter bow (which takes thunderjaw and apex sorcher kills to upgrade) gets some higher damage perks and 80 base damage so it's better for your triple-nocked powershots but its slower speed probably fall behind if you're not taking long to aim between shots. The arena legendary hunter bow (which takes apex almost everything to level up) has lower impact damage (69) but makes up for it by coming in with with advanced shock arrows, good damage perks, and 2 extra coil slots.

Maybe it's not THAT busted, given that a lot more of my damage is coming from spikes, bombs, and braced sharpshots, but when I'm low on the good ammo and I'm in the "gently caress it, I'll just trigger an element limit and shoot the poo poo out of it with regular arrows" mode, I love Sunshot bow. You should love it too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lobok posted:

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread yet but a reminder you can use your pullcaster to bring chests to you. Don't always have to find a way up or over to them. Sometimes they'll be in a little space with a door partially open, you can pull them close enough to the door to loot them.

Also the fact that if you stack a chest onto another chest they'll combine together (they can be separated, but you can can push them around together). This is necessary for some puzzles and gave me a lot of trouble on this one ruin last night.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ENDING SPOILERS: Nemesis coming into being and wanting to destroy all of humanity because it was an AI trapped with the consciousness of ultra capitalists is hilarious to me. I dunno if I'm not giving them the benefit but that X-Play criticism of the Zeniths is just weird to me. In order to get anything from them you have to give some benefits to literal billionaires and that's not something anyone should do. Not if you pay even a silver of attention to the world as it is today. Billionaires should always be the unrelenting awful antagonists. There's nothing to understand about a bunch of billionaires seeing as everyone and thing as disposable for their own self-serving wants and needs.

This game is already anti-capitalist and there's no reason why it should treat the capitalists with kiddy gloves. They're one-note characters, sure, but they represent the the idea of capitalism as a whole and that old socioeconomic systems in play in today's world wouldn't work any different in a new world. Them being descendants of the capitalists would make them more tragic but not any more nuanced. We have the Quen for that. Personally, I bought into them being functionally immortal. They don't even bleed when they're dead. They're just husks upheld by technology, like silicon-valley technocrats want to be when climate change ravages the world.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I just started Faro's tomb and the secondary objective is to go to falls edge and I went there and nothing is happening. Is something supposed to trigger or it just meant to be a pit stop on the way? If it the latter that's weird because there's an even larger settlement on the way

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Are you sure you don’t mean Legacy’s Landing? That’s a different settlement off the coast and you need to take a boat to get there.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yes, I'm talking about the quest I wrote, objective 1 is find Alva and objective 2 is go to fall's edge but when I go there there's only 3 non-merchant people I can talk to and they were related to side quests and none of them mention the main quest at all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

exquisite tea posted:

Are you sure you don’t mean Legacy’s Landing? That’s a different settlement off the coast and you need to take a boat to get there.

no, when you start that quest you have the objectives to 1: Find Alva and 2 (optional): go to Fall's Edge.

I just walked in the front gate and it triggered the flag to cross off the second objective but it's really just the game telling you "hey there's a settlement here that might have better gear than you have so far if you haven't been exploring much." Which really is basically what Kotallo tells you when they give you the objective in the first place.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Thornmarsh is also on the way, closer to the destination, is bigger, and has more stuff. Why wouldn't they send me there instead

It also doesn't say going to Fall's edge is optional on my quest and when I go in, nothing gets crossed off so??? Just the game breaking again for the hundredth time I guess

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I just started Faro's tomb and the secondary objective is to go to falls edge and I went there and nothing is happening. Is something supposed to trigger or it just meant to be a pit stop on the way? If it the latter that's weird because there's an even larger settlement on the way

Have you done Aether yet? I believe the secondary objective is related to an NPC you meet as part of that quest. Even then, I think the only thing to do there is stock up at the vendors, no actual story stuff or dialogue.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If I didn't complete Aether I would not have this quest

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Klungar posted:

Have you done Aether yet? I believe the secondary objective is related to an NPC you meet as part of that quest. Even then, I think the only thing to do there is stock up at the vendors, no actual story stuff or dialogue.

it is required to have done Aether at that point yes

Thornmarsh is also on the way, closer to the destination, is bigger, and has more stuff. Why wouldn't they send me there instead

It also doesn't say going to Fall's edge is optional on my quest and when I go in, nothing gets crossed off so??? Just the game breaking again for the hundredth time I guess

did you enter from the east or the west side of the village? Not sure if that matters but I entered on the east side and it checked off as soon as I stepped on the little wooden bridge to get in.

I think Thornmarsh might technically be a little bit out of the way while Fall's Edge is literally on the road you would normally use but I don't remember fully and I just fast traveled to a campfire that I unlocked doing something else (salvage contract maybe?) way further west so I didn't have a chance to even notice.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

it is required to have done Aether at that point yes

did you enter from the east or the west side of the village? Not sure if that matters but I entered on the east side and it checked off as soon as I stepped on the little wooden bridge to get in.

I think Thornmarsh might technically be a little bit out of the way while Fall's Edge is literally on the road you would normally use but I don't remember fully and I just fast traveled to a campfire that I unlocked doing something else (salvage contract maybe?) way further west so I didn't have a chance to even notice.

I entered from the east, truly have no idea what's going on

It might have something to do with event triggers, a lot of times when I clear out a machine site, whether stealthily or loud, it's still marked as unknown machine site on my map

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's really weird yeah.

At least you can toke solace in knowing that you're missing literally nothing outside of Aloy saying something like "Kotallo said I can stock up here" when you trigger it

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ha, I stumbled across Lombard Street in San Francisco. It's just a river now. Also for some reason the Golden Gate is called the Grand Gate? Is Golden Gate trademarked?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I thought maybe it was because it didn't do Kotallo's new arm quest so I left and completed it but it's still not triggering anything when I get to fall's edge so I guess I'm just gonna go find Alva

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

If I didn't complete Aether I would not have this quest

Derp, my brain just substituted Demeter due to the vicinity. Either way, as has been pointed out, I’m pretty sure the only thing that happens is Aloy/Kotallo have a little line of dialogue that plays about stocking up on supplies, not even in a cutscene. You aren’t missing anything important.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Klungar posted:

Derp, my brain just substituted Demeter due to the vicinity.

Good news, that quest is also required because the quest he's on is the one after you recover the three subroutines.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished Demeter now I'm off to rob the tomb of Ted loving Faro:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Good news, that quest is also required because the quest he's on is the one after you recover the three subroutines.

No, I know, I meant I was asking if he’d done Aether before Demeter, because Kotallo wouldn’t be around to trigger the dialogue if it had been done the other way around. I jumbled Demeter/Thebes, not Aether/Demeter.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
They didn't let me see the gross monster, lame

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well after 26 hours of playing I finally had to turn the difficulty down to story mode it was versus the Rebel Tremortusk. A impressive fight but it was to difficult for me.

They nerfed the hell out of Tear Blast arrows. I finally got a bow that has them and drat it was very disappointing. Also you only get 3 at a time and cost to make is super high. They also no longer make the Bwoooooowaaaaaaam sound.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 6, 2022

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Turn off your monitor? :confused:

I like that they left that part to your imagination. The hologram gave a good enough idea for me, and ultimately, the story of that mission isn't about how gross looking Faro has become, and I think showing that would just be gilding the lily and not add anything to the story.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 6, 2022

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Wrong

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I was so annoyed at this, once I realized was going on I was all pumped up to see what sort of genetic abomination ol’ Ted hosed himself into

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Hollismason posted:

Well after 26 hours of playing I finally had to turn the difficulty down to story mode it was versus the Rebel Tremortusk. A impressive fight but it was to difficult for me.

They nerfed the hell out of Tear Blast arrows. I finally got a bow that has them and drat it was very disappointing. Also you only get 3 at a time and cost to make is super high. They also no longer make the Bwoooooowaaaaaaam sound.

I just did this today too.

I got rekt on my first attempt, but then on my second attempt I noticed there is a ravager cannon just leaning against a rock on the outskirts of the camp. That helped a lot

Powershots valor surge plus braced shot is still a hell of an opener

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

vanilla slimfast posted:

I got rekt on my first attempt, but then on my second attempt I noticed there is a ravager cannon just leaning against a rock on the outskirts of the camp. That helped a lot

I didn't even notice that. Yeah I used Power shots valor surge and braced shot.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Are there any clues in the game for finding the war totems or are they just randomly placed? I stumbled on the one in San Fran and was thinking of getting the others but if there's no hints for where they are I might as well just look at a guide for them

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where do I get the upgraded spike throwers at?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

el oso posted:

Are there any clues in the game for finding the war totems or are they just randomly placed? I stumbled on the one in San Fran and was thinking of getting the others but if there's no hints for where they are I might as well just look at a guide for them

I don’t think anything in the game directs you toward them so it’s unlikely you’d find them all on your own. It’s just an Easter Egg that gets you a God of War face paint.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

vanilla slimfast posted:

I finally got around to testing it and I don't think powershots work with braced shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cu_-IlfjaQ

Here you can see I start with 15 precision arrows, I pop Powershots, and a braced shot still takes ammo and does not cause my valor meter to go down. I fire off another braced shot at the other glinthawk, same result. However, if I use a double notch on my hunter bow (was trying to double notch my sharpshoot bow but ran out of stamina and didn't want to wait), you notice the opposite: ammo is not consumed and the valor gauge goes down. I think powershots only works with normal ranged attacks (with triple notched hunter bow arrows and double notched sharpshoot bow arrows being the exception since those are just modified normal attacks) so if you want to boost the power of techniques you need to use the first hunter valor surge (ranged master?). That being said, brace shot is still a very powerful technique as you can see it one-shot the glinthawks and probably overkilled by a bunch. I still prefer powershots because I don't want to worry about my gauge constantly running down so I guess overdrawn double notched precision arrows or overdrawn spikes is the best use of it.

Of course, all of this is assuming this is working as intended and that my game is not bugged, which is entirely possible with all the problems and issues I've been encountering

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 6, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Space Racist posted:

Just finished the game last night, and I have Thoughts:

ENDGAME SPOILERS

I pretty much agree with X-play's assessment from their video that this game apes Mass Effect 2 a little too closely (shocker I would clue into that, based on my name/avatar, I know) - obviously there's the overall structure with 'The Base' and acquiring companions who have associated 'loyalty missions'... but the final story reveal of a seemingly invincible Big Bad was just handled so clumsily. The Mass Effect series worked, pacing wise, because the reapers were revealed early enough that the player was allowed to feel the stakes of their looming threat which made for a satisfying build. The bait-and-switch of the Zeniths just being Kinda Bad and the actual Big Bad of Nemesis being revealed at the absolute last second just... man, who thought that was a good idea? I already disliked the Zeniths and felt they were just a step into 'too goofy' territory, and then the narrative cheapens them further by revealing that they aren't actually the true bad guys... I don't know, I'm just personally finding it hard to take any satisfatction from that story arc.

The Zeniths already left a bad taste in my mouth since, for some reason, I can be on board for robot dinosaurs and terraforming AI after global cataclysm, but immortal flying billionaire space assholes just goes a little too off the rails for me. I actually started laughing during the final climax at the scene when the Zeniths all float in over the battlefield, as the animation just looks so silly to me. Something about how they fly looks very stiff. That said, I would have been so much more on board with them being descendants of the original colonists, but 'they're actually the exact same people who left a thousand years ago, just even more narcissistic' feels, again, a little too goofy somehow. They're also extremely one-note, Tilda is the only one granted any complexity or screen time when seemingly a group of people that have lived for a thousand years might have some interesting complexities to explore.

Apologies to dive into this thread and crap all over the story, but personally I adored the first game and its narrative while this game really felt like a mess. I'll be curious to see where the story winds up, but after this game I don't think I'll have any lingering excitement in the coming years whenever the third game does finally release.

Thanks for coming to my Ted (but not that Ted!) talk.

While I'm not sold on Nemesis specifically as an antagonist (because we know almost nothing about it), I do think it is 100% thematically on-point that the "Ted Faros" of Old Earth went and destroyed their own paradise by making the exact same mistakes that they did before. That they are unable to create anything of lasting value and only know how to loot and pillage. Honestly I thought the story that the colony on Sirius was destroyed by natural disaster had to be a lie simply because it wouldn't make any sense for it not to be their own damned fault.

Nemesis, then, is simply another artifact of the mistakes of the past that we'll have to clean up. Hopefully it'll get fleshed out more in the 3rd game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DC Murderverse posted:

I was so annoyed at this, once I realized was going on I was all pumped up to see what sort of genetic abomination ol’ Ted hosed himself into

What frustrated me was it was so blatantly working around a cut boss fight too. "Yeah, it's JUST AROUND THE CORNER, we promise! There's totally not a cut boss fight here because we'd have had to make unique fleshy assets and mechanics for Mutant Ted Faro that can't be used anywhere else in our 100+-hour-game!".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hollismason posted:

The ones I've been using definitely make the sound so maybe it's just because yours are weaker

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat farming for upgrade components is really tedious. Do not like this aspect of the game at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hollismason posted:

drat farming for upgrade components is really tedious. Do not like this aspect of the game at all.

Set your Difficulty to Custom, keep whatever you prefer combat-wise, and turn on Easy Loot. Makes ANYTHING drop off Machines ,regardless of if you tore it off as-intended. (I think the stuff you need to leave intact will still be gone if destroyed though)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Set your Difficulty to Custom, keep whatever you prefer combat-wise, and turn on Easy Loot. Makes ANYTHING drop off Machines ,regardless of if you tore it off as-intended. (I think the stuff you need to leave intact will still be gone if destroyed though)

Yeah I have easy loot enabled I spent 30 minutes today spawning bellowbacks in order to get a component and it took me killing like 6 of them to get it. Really annoying , do not like this aspect of the game. I can tell you that if you do destroy the component it definitely does not spawn the item. I had to not blow up the bellow backs back cannister then it finally dropped.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What frustrated me was it was so blatantly working around a cut boss fight too. "Yeah, it's JUST AROUND THE CORNER, we promise! There's totally not a cut boss fight here because we'd have had to make unique fleshy assets and mechanics for Mutant Ted Faro that can't be used anywhere else in our 100+-hour-game!".
I don't think that would make sense in context with how that part of the story is presented. Like YMMV on whether their choice worked, but I think it's pretty clearly intentional.

For one thing, it's a plot point that Aloy doesn't want to kill Faro, because she knows that blows up the reactor. I don't think it would make any sense to also have a boss fight where she's trying to kill him with that setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For my own reference I'm up to page whatever in this thread. I'm interested in reading peoples opinions after the fact when I don't care about spoilers, but right now I still do care about spoilers because I'm only a ways through the game. I'm up to the main quest called " the Faro Tomb" but I haven't progressed that quest yet, even though I'm fascinated to, and I probably will be doing so within hours of typing this.

So that said, I just want to make a couple of minor complaints but before I do I also want to echo a lot of the praise that this game has been getting. Even in "performance mode" (which should just be labelled "default mode" because wtf is that other mode? lol. "unplayable slideshow screenshot mode?!" why does this exist?) this game looks amazing. Full stop, it just does, holy poo poo. Environment artists the world over are stroking their sad sorry dicks'n'clits over the fact that they weren't working on this game, and those lucky few that were, can pat themselves on the back for the industry-defining job they did on this game. Well done, you guys excelled. You really did.

And then there are those that worked on the mocap and facial animations. You guys deserve a special mention. That poo poo is sublime in this game. The only game I can think of that is in the same league in this department is the last of us games and to be in the same playing field as those guys is high praise indeed. All of the actors/actresses and the tech people behind making all of that come to life in the game deserve a loving oscar or emmy or whatever the equivalent is of an award that hasn't been rendered meaningless by years of corruption...

...and then there's the gameplay, it's still as interesting and challenging as the first game (playing on Very Hard) - the bad robots take ages to kill but I accept that that is my fault for insisting on playing on the hardest difficulty level. Still I would have liked the extra difficulty to have come from the robot AI being better and their combat tactics being more intelligent than them just being tougher. See Ghost of Tsushima for a lesson on how to increase difficulty without making your baddies hitpoint sponges, even if the rest of that game was an Ubi-formula fest.

...and this game does not escape that criticism either. As well-executed as it is, I still find myself holding off on progressing the game because of the manufactured desire to tick off all the boxes on the icon-infested map. That these activities actually reward me with tangible rewards and skillpoints is nice, but also makes the open-world ubi-burnout factor worse, because if I choose to not engage with all that content I am actually missing out on tangible benefits. So I do it all, and it's decent content, but I end up pacing the story out too much with cave-swimming sessions, or decisions to go hunt a bunch of specific mobs for a thing to upgrade my weapon, or bandit camps (can we please just do away with these? Please??? Going through them is jarring when put next to Aloy's character as portrayed in the story) and the main quest suffers for it.

My main complaint is pretty minor and IMO easily fixed. FIX THE CLIMING!

This has been solved, years ago, in multiple ways, by others. Just swallow your goddamn pride and copy one of their ideas, or take climbing out completely. Do one or the other, and don't look back. I got to a cave today that had a way up highlighted by those yellow climb-marks. I couldn't get up there for the life of me because of how clumsy the climbing system is in this game. It's seriously just trash and gently caress and poo poo and dumb. Like, it's the worst. You click the square button to climb, and it doesn't work or it puts you to a place you don't want to go. You try the circle button which is the disengage from this surface button. You end up clinging to somewhere you don't want or falling off completely. I'll never know what is up there (it was probably just a chest with a bunch of stash-fodder but man, not the point) because I can't climb up despite the yellow markings saying I should be able to.

The other thing I wanna rant a little bit about is the stunlocking/armour/weapon management. It's not as bad as I've seen complaints on other websites and it's totally manageable if I go in prepared, but sometimes I'm not prepared and it's a little much. Like, if all it takes for me to be able to ignore a stunlock is to go into my menu and change my armour then great. But if I can just do that in mid-fight before a projectile hits me, then I'm led to think why should I have to, given that doing so makes no sense in the game-world. Like, I'm not taking off my Carja-suit and putting on my Nora-suit juuust before the Ice-projectile hits me in any kind of realistically depicted world so why make me do it in this one? If the aim is to have which armour I am wearing matter, then don't allow it to be changed so easily and instantly. If it's to be that whatever armour I've found will help me in any combat scenario, then don't make me have to manually swap it out. I don't mind either design philosophy but this game seems to want to walk the line between them and it doesn't work for me.

These were my words and thank you for reading them. I hope you enjoyed or are enjoying Horizon Forbidden West as much as I am, despite these minor complaints.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 6, 2022