Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Horizon autopopulating the map with the location of every tallneck is exactly why I prefer elden ring. Let me explore and find that poo poo on my own horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are there even quests in HZ? Like, isn't it just waypoints and you beat stuff up? What did he design?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ever since I got this +8 banishknight halbred I can’t find anyone to help with Margot. Gotten him down to one hit with my friend Rogier but I can’t seem to finish him off!

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Valdent posted:

If you haven't try out a twinblade set for bleed with seppuku. It has led to some interesting results. First bleed on everyone's favorite boss from castle sol is in about 3 hits. There does seem to be a mechanic that isn't really stated though where after the first bleed all following bleeds take a bit more. Or there's some sort of cooldown on the status. With the above setup first bleed usually happens on hit 2 it 3 but all bleeds after that take 3-5 hits with the same attacks

Yeah bosses resistances go up for statuses after they are afflicted by it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Are there even quests in HZ? Like, isn't it just waypoints and you beat stuff up? What did he design?

Horizon games have a ton of sidequests yes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think horizon 2 has mass effect 2 style signature quests for members of your "party" and stuff among others. Personally as someone who didn't play the first one, I got the vibe 2 was an ultra direct sequel and I shouldn't bother, they probably could have sold it a little better to me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Vintersorg posted:

The quests in HFW are high quality but yeah they ultimately revolve around you killing a robot because that's what the videogame is about.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think horizon 2 has mass effect 2 style signature quests for members of your "party" and stuff among others. Personally as someone who didn't play the first one, I got the vibe 2 was an ultra direct sequel and I shouldn't bother, they probably could have sold it a little better to me

It’s a very, very, very good game. Completely different to Elden Ring, obviously, but if you liked the first Horizon the sequel improved on just about every aspect.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's p cool that this game has a questline no one in the world has been able to figure out for upwards of a week. I guess at this point you have to consider bugged or horribly awkwardly cut content possibilities too though

In the other Souls games, I never knew what the hell was going on in those, either. Same with Bloodborne. It's all about the atmosphere and just weird poo poo that makes no sense that at the end of the day makes you feel like you've been somewhere you haven't before. The previous games were sorta more linear in some regards, but not in others. Dark Souls 2 is pretty close to how Elden Ring plays for "where am I going, where am I? oh wow, wtf. how did I even get here this makes no sense".

The magic is wandering and finding bosses and opening more paths.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I really don't see why devs are making GBS threads on Elden Ring for taking a minimalist approach to UX and quest design when that's what every From game has done up to this point? it's not going to earn them points but rather just a lot of scorn and sour grapes as people have said.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Judge Tesla posted:

I really don't see why devs are making GBS threads on Elden Ring for taking a minimalist approach to UX and quest design when that's what every From game has done up to this point? it's not going to earn them points but rather just a lot of scorn and sour grapes as people have said.

It appears to be one bloke on twitter

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I love hearing the screams. Thought you were safe farming runes here eh Tarnished?

https://giant.gfycat.com/VibrantHomelyAmphibian.mp4

Where is this?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

oh poo poo, that makes sense. I'm like level 64. I guess I'll try Godrick?

Go help someone kill the basement beast instead, maybe? I had luck getting summoned there even when overleveled for the zone. You've probably outleveled Godrick as well, though.

Note also that your highest weapon level matters even more than your character level.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

huh posted:

Where is this?

Pretty sure that’s the war catacomb north on the beach where you fight horse meteor dude

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

People are gushing over moonveil and the sword of night and flame (quite rightly) but testing them out against a +25 weapon with hoarfrost stomp I think the stomp is better.

This is with 60 int and the minimum str/dex stats for moonveil with all weapons maxed out and the stomp does as much if not more damage than moonnveils weapon art while also coming out very quickly and being more spammable. The sword of night and flames laser beam is really good but has a long windup and can miss out on its full damage if the enemy moves or dodges. Hoarfrost seems impossible for enemies to dodge it however and also has a wide arc meaning it cleaves multiple enemies at the same time. Plus! You can stick it a lot of weapons (I’m thinking of upgrading one of the long swords because of their versatile movesets).

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
What an incredible game

I'm getting hosed up by Fire Giant which is frustrating since I don't think it's really hard, just not executing well.

There is a sharp decline in summon signs the further I get lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Moongrum is straight bullshit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Hoarfrost Stomp is absolutely nuts. It doesn’t even need a specific build—in my testing it scales with whatever your weapon does, whether it’s magic or pure physical. It’s absolutely fantastic.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I like HZ Forbidden West mostly because it’s a fun narrative and I like the setting but the actual gameplay design of the quests is exceedingly rote so that dude should probably chill a bit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there anything keeping me from becoming a do-everything character that masters melee miracles and magic? Other than time?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Is there anything keeping me from becoming a do-everything character that masters melee miracles and magic? Other than time?

Nope, though there are limits to weapon upgrades. The max upgrade is finite.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I’m going to just end up doing it all with one character. Between respecs and no need to park my level at a certain spot I’ll just keep throwing enough on all stats to use most things and play with everything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

I like HZ Forbidden West mostly because it’s a fun narrative and I like the setting but the actual gameplay design of the quests is exceedingly rote so that dude should probably chill a bit.

I dunno a lot of those major quests are pretty fantastic. The side stuff is pretty standard.

Honestly that game was so good I almost didn’t put it down for Elden ring…but I mean cmon it’s Elden Ring of course it’s gonna win. Can’t wait to go back and finish horizon after this though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The one thing I'd add to what others have said is that the cost to level up ramps up pretty quickly and there's some benefit to specializing some (you'll do better damage earlier if you specialize in one main damage stat, at least in the mid-game). But at the same time the level cap is 713 which is 99 in every stat, and at endgame you can buy all but the max-level upgrade materials, so playing enough and doing NG+ enough means you can max everything out if you want.

In my experience you'll have an easier time getting through your first playthrough if you pick one stat to be your main and another to be your secondary (and level Vigor) just because it'll let you do better damage than you will by doing a generalist build the whole way, but otherwise there isn't any cap on your leveling really.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would this game be worse with a quest log? It kind of feels important with an open world game, but I can def see it being seen as hand-holding by some. Id like to see one, myself.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Can I aid withth any boss or just ones I haven't cleared out yet
I think quest comes with a certain implication of reward.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Would this game be worse with a quest log? It kind of feels important with an open world game, but I can def see it being seen as hand-holding by some. Id like to see one, myself.

It wouldn’t be worse but in the same vein as difficulty settings for me personally it’d kind of go against the point and vibe. No harm if they did though.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Orv posted:

Jump with each pulse.

welp

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In Bloodborne you could level to about 300 pretty easily thanks to the big rewards from chalices. It took a while but you don’t have to worry too much about losing stains when any given floor of a dungeon gives you half a million. I haven’t cracked the late game on this yet but if there’s places where you can reliably net that much between checkpoints then yeah, could probably make a good jack of all trades guy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dandywalken posted:

Nah it wouldn’t be, people take it to an extreme with the Ubisoft open works UI but a quest log would change nothing realistically.

Morrowind had a quest log and people love that game for immersion or whatever

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

i think it's less the lack of a reminder of what i was doing and more how truly obscure the actual quest paths are at times

i don't think i ever would've found corhyn again if i hadn't looked him up. dude's on a random fuckoff road somewhere, and he blends in almost perfectly with his surroundings. i absolutely would've ridden past him, and i actually likely did ride past him several times

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Do I need to activate summoning pools to be summoned to them via effigy? I just realized I've skipped like the majority of pools and this possibly explains why I keep getting summoned to the same ones

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do I need to activate summoning pools to be summoned to them via effigy? I just realized I've skipped like the majority of pools and this possibly explains why I keep getting summoned to the same ones

Yes (seems like a dumb choice overall)

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Well if you did the same mage thing I did and struggled once you hit Renalla I can confirm that summoning the warhawk and then using double katanas will not only trivialize the boss, you'll stunlock her so she doesn't even summon anything. Don't use spells.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I think maybe adding an in-game journal that you could type on would be cool. There's a mod for skyrim that does that and it's pretty neat.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I think a log of past dialogue would be a fine compromise, would also help with making sense of the lore, but wandering around on a vague destiny quest while incidentally helping out some people and loving over others, not really understanding people's motivations or what's going on in the grand scheme of things is very fitting imo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, why did they even add the white/blue ring when invasions are mandatory co-op targeted anyway.

Like boy does PVP in this just feel so incredibly lovely, it's no fun to win some goober rear end 4v1 fight and it's no fun to be against it.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 6, 2022

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do the weapon mods add base fire/holy/whatever damage or do I have to use the skill and then it does?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think a really good "I just want to destroy everything in my path" PvE build would be Dex/Int, dual-wield Moonveil in your right hand and an Uchigatana with Hoarfrost Stomp on it in your left. Stagger things with Transient Moonlight, shred them with dual-wield attacks if you can't stagger them or for even better DPS, and if you have a group of enemies to deal with, two-hand your left-hand weapon and use Hoarfrost Stomp to clear them out.

Probably going to roll with that when I put together my actual spellblade build.

drunken officeparty posted:

Do the weapon mods add base fire/holy/whatever damage or do I have to use the skill and then it does?

You don't have to use the skill first. Some skills do also buff the weapon with additional elemental damage (like Sacred Blade) but the weapon can still be infused to do holy/magic/fire/whatever damage as standard as well.

Note that this isn't mandatory and you can keep the standard damage and stat scaling if you want. Another note is that the raw attack number on your character sheet is usually going to look higher if you have an elemental damage type on a weapon, but the overall damage will likely be lower unless you have a specialized build or are hitting an enemy weakness because split damage gets reduced by two defenses.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

welp found the teleporter trap chest in weeping peninsula and had an eye opening map size revelation