Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Would this game be worse with a quest log? It kind of feels important with an open world game, but I can def see it being seen as hand-holding by some. Id like to see one, myself.

Yes, it would be worse if the game had a quest log imo.

E: Actually it would be pretty cool if there was a quest log but it's just a text field that you can write in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress Astel

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

VanillaGorilla posted:

I like HZ Forbidden West mostly because it’s a fun narrative and I like the setting but the actual gameplay design of the quests is exceedingly rote so that dude should probably chill a bit.

yeah it's like

if he were being smug about boss design he'd have a point. Thunderjaws are one of the best encounters, hand down, i have ever seen in a video game, in many ways better than most soulsborne bosses

but quest design? lmao

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

E: Actually it would be pretty cool if there was a quest log but it's just a text field that you can write in

My occupation is a series of quest logs and I think part of the reason I'm into poopsocking Elden Ring over e.g. cyberpunk is because there is no checklist of chores.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

If he's still stomping Rodrick head, you can kill him. I think most of the vendors you kill drop a ball bearing, which you give to the dead twin maiden in the Roundtable Hold.

Oh good, didn't know he had one and I doubt he matters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am extremely enamored with how good the melee combat on horseback is in this game. Wind up on swings forces you to plan your attacks which forces you to engage but also gives you a big advantage in hit and run. I’d even say it feels better than BOTW’s horse fighting.

MGSV still wins for ranged combat on horses. It feels awesome to be able to fight tanks with a sniper rifle on horseback without lock-on or aim assist. You could even be a viable horseback grenadier if you practice and learn throwing distances

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
I hate long long man and his fat brother.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Steve Yun posted:

MGSV still wins for ranged combat on horses. It feels awesome to be able to fight tanks with a sniper rifle on horseback without lock-on or aim assist. You could even be a viable horseback grenadier if you practice and learn throwing distances

play Elden Ring with a mouse and you can pretty much do this with a bow

e: granted it would be a lot BETTER if your character could turn around and shoot behind themselves while still riding forwards. but if you ever learned to free aim spells in previous souls games it's basically the same skillset, or as long as you're riding forwards you can even just use the "scope"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 6, 2022

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The issue of quest logs for games that doesn't really want to do waypoints and clear things is pretty well solved by Morrowind, just have a literal log that your character has written notes in. It would be very simple to just record what people said in things like that and, say, "Met a merchant called Kalé at Elleh Church". I think it would be entirely possible for a dev like FromSoft to find a way to not ruin the experience while still adding a bit more accessibility rather than needing to tab to online guides or write with a real life pen.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I would love an in-game journal that is just for you to type to yourself.

Instead I’ve started keeping a very mediocre and incomplete .doc of just “a nameless trader guy told me to snap my fingers at [location]” and the like. Tabbing between is a slight chore, but perhaps more effective than my first 15 hours of entirely aimless wandering.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

Man, why did they even add the white/blue ring when invasions are mandatory co-op targeted anyway.

Like boy does PVP in this just feel so incredibly lovely, it's no fun to win some goober rear end 4v1 fight and it's no fun to be against it.

On one hand, it is currently entertaining to just have some poise, some AoE and the magic resist Physick (and/or the incantation), leap into a group of goobers and nuke them all.

On the other hand, they've fixed virtually nothing about DS PvP and didn't include a true arena (I guess dropping your sign in the arena at the hold kinda works?). That is pretty disappointing.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Like I just finished the Ranni quest line, which is only mid game, and it felt like an entire game. Complex, super cool characters, takes you to amazing parts of the world you’d otherwise miss. Like the whole thing felt like an awesome D&D module, which is exactly the design model of these games.

Simply incredible.

And there are several quests just like it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

The issue of quest logs for games that doesn't really want to do waypoints and clear things is pretty well solved by Morrowind, just have a literal log that your character has written notes in. It would be very simple to just record what people said in things like that and, say, "Met a merchant called Kalé at Elleh Church". I think it would be entirely possible for a dev like FromSoft to find a way to not ruin the experience while still adding a bit more accessibility rather than needing to tab to online guides or write with a real life pen.

This is acceptable but the book you write in is actually dropped by a boss in a library, or you can choose the book as your starting gift

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Decided to try some sunbroing today and I've been summoned to Rennala three times. Two of those she was just bugged, no golden shield effect but still invulnerable and no golden minion. Nothing we did could bring her down or damage her. The other time the host ate a kamehameha and died instantly. Thought I could get some easy runes here but it's not going well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

QuarkJets posted:

This is acceptable but the book you write in is actually dropped by a boss in a library, or you can choose the book as your starting gift

Losing to Patches has him delete all your notes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think an in-universe journal that your character writes in would be kind of neat for something like Elden Ring, yeah.

The fact that it's in-universe means that the game could use it to mess with you, too. I could imagine a questline where an NPC is able to somehow gently caress with your journal and tries to gaslight you by changing subtle details before eventually ramping up to leaving creepy threats or cryptic messages in random other entries.

That said it would be a meaningful change in design from how From has made these games so far. Doesn't mean it would be a bad thing but it wouldn't be the same so I could imagine some pushback on that front. Personally I sometimes wonder how my character knows all this poo poo that's in item descriptions whenever I play a Souls game so having a journal he writes in makes more sense than that :v:

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
Actual illusory wall found! (At the end of the ruins that appear to block the road to Caria Manor)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

RBA Starblade posted:

Losing to Patches has him delete all your notes

:shuckyes:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

QuarkJets posted:

:hmmyes: I accept your proposed terms.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Pages are an item drop you have to find. People developing complex character shorthands to fit max info on 2 pages cause they haven’t beat the guy who drops page 3 (cannot install pages 4-7 you have until you find page 3)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
my favorite white phantom moment (so far) in all the soulses was last night, someone summoned me at the beginning of Ainsel River and I helped them by sprinting them through every area, pointing out every secret I'd found, killing everything that crossed our path, showing them the grace halfway to the boss, and then easily one-shotting the boss with them. Felt good, like I was finally able to pay it forward from when someone did that for me to run me through Lost Bastille to Sinner's Rise my first time playing DS2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In a crypt there were a few messages in front of a sarcophagus saying to try gesturing to get an item. Any truth to this? I spent a few minutes looking cool in various ways but nothing happened

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Your character writes things like "merchant to the east of Fort Farto grace sells swordkeys" but the merchant is actually far, far to the north and nowhere near any fort or grace and also does not sell swordkeys.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

You lose notes instead of runes when you die :hmmyes:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Blues Hammer posted:

Actual illusory wall found! (At the end of the ruins that appear to block the road to Caria Manor)

There is an illusory floor right next to it. Try a jumping attack.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eason the Fifth posted:

You lose notes instead of runes when you die :hmmyes:

One entry: I DIED

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can only use the messaging system to write in your journal

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The time I spent loving around in the red east area accomplishing almost nothing seems to have made the west blue lakey magic area a lot easier. Most of the enemies were just a formality, I killed the boss lady second try.

Now to wander around for another 20 hours until I stumble on the next boss because I have no idea what is going on at any time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You can only use the messaging system to write in your journal

Each post is marked by complex Cartesian coordinates and nothing else.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone help me with navigating Mt. Gelmir? If I use the grace Seethewater Terminus I get up to a fort by the cliff, and I can't scale up the mountain. If I come in via Bridge of Iniquity the path goes on until a broken bridge. Am I missing anything from either grace or is the correct entry point elsewhere and if so, where please?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do I need to activate summoning pools to be summoned to them via effigy? I just realized I've skipped like the majority of pools and this possibly explains why I keep getting summoned to the same ones

In my experience, it only sends you to pools within a certain radius of where you are in your world. I only ever get summoned to the dungeon I'm in or nearby small dungeons.

e: you also can't use the item that sends your sign to the pool unless you are somewhat near an activated effigy

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 6, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

thinking of making a str and stamina heavy character and having some fun with it. what are the shields/greatshields that have interesting/viable offensive options? i remember the shield with the mortar on it from the trailer.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

The time I spent loving around in the red east area accomplishing almost nothing seems to have made the west blue lakey magic area a lot easier. Most of the enemies were just a formality, I killed the boss lady second try.

Now to wander around for another 20 hours until I stumble on the next boss because I have no idea what is going on at any time.

Same, I'm surprised that people want a quest log. I don't even know what my character is or understand anything of the plot. A lot of monsters are having a tea party and here I am stumbling around. Sometimes I buy stuff from regular human merchants in the woods, sometimes from creepy dolls. Who knows.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just got the Carian Inverted Statue and I cannot loving believe that PRECEPTOR MIRIAM COMES BACK

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Would this game be worse with a quest log? It kind of feels important with an open world game, but I can def see it being seen as hand-holding by some. Id like to see one, myself.

The way you'd do a quest log effectively is to always have quests keep an item. Like Volcano Manor gives you inventory items that you can refer to.
An example would be if you had a quest from Cool Skeleton to see Dump Truck rear end Skeleton there could be a note, and maybe after that step there's some mcguffin for Dump Track rear end Skeleton's quest.

The game kind of does this already, but not consistently.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just beat the game

I am loving exhausted, and I used Cheese Magic Sword

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Artelier posted:

Can someone help me with navigating Mt. Gelmir? If I use the grace Seethewater Terminus I get up to a fort by the cliff, and I can't scale up the mountain. If I come in via Bridge of Iniquity the path goes on until a broken bridge. Am I missing anything from either grace or is the correct entry point elsewhere and if so, where please?

From the Bridge of Iniquity Grace, as you head towards the broken bridge there will be a ladder on your left. It's near the destroyed camp with the Iron Maiden Robot thingies. You can also end up in same place from Terminus by following the path south of the fort there. Much longer but there's some nice loot on the way.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 6, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've always disliked quest logs because they end up making the game feel like a shopping expedition. The Souls games are unique that you really have no idea and you're just supposed to get lost and enjoy the atmosphere of the game. They leave enough hints at points that are easy to revisit that you can't really be truly lost. Elden is kind of strange that the graces literally point to the direction you're supposed to go to walk the main storyline while leaving the rest of the world open to get you balls stomped.

How do the summoning pools actually work? I've been touching the Y signs as I encounter them, but when I use the item to see golden signs, there are never any near it. I usually find signs closer to the boss doors and such. I would think the Y signs would have a pile of golden summon signs next to them?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

I think an in-universe journal that your character writes in would be kind of neat for something like Elden Ring, yeah.

The fact that it's in-universe means that the game could use it to mess with you, too. I could imagine a questline where an NPC is able to somehow gently caress with your journal and tries to gaslight you by changing subtle details before eventually ramping up to leaving creepy threats or cryptic messages in random other entries.

That said it would be a meaningful change in design from how From has made these games so far. Doesn't mean it would be a bad thing but it wouldn't be the same so I could imagine some pushback on that front. Personally I sometimes wonder how my character knows all this poo poo that's in item descriptions whenever I play a Souls game so having a journal he writes in makes more sense than that :v:

Yeah I meant this moreso than just a HZD analogue. NPC's loving with it would be amazing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hate this poo dungeon so much