Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

hmm, so this must be the final boss, then. Final boss has got a cool first half! Too bad about the second half, a few more tries and I'll finally get a run where it doesn't use this weird homing arrow thing that does not go away until I'm dead. All the bosses I didn't like in the game are after Leyndell, at least in the order I did things, which is kind of a bummer. My favorite boss in the whole game was also there though in Hulk "Godfrey" Hogan, though, so I guess it's a wash. Major bummer that the last boss has a big monster part that just isn't as good as the human sized enemy beforehand though... Still gonna give it another playthrough though, gotta see how magic guy works out and see these other endings. Maybe that'll take a third playthrough too, though now I'm not quite as sure what a third one would look like. Big Sword, Huge Shield and Heaviest Armor guy held together pretty well I'd say, though something tells me I died a lot more to a lot of bosses then some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Radahn - When he jumps hiiiigh into the sky.. Is there any sort of visual cue he's about to crater down? is it just learning how long the jump lasts?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
HAHAHA GET REKT!

I got Maliena first try after going back after beating the game. Guess all those extra STR points from the final gauntlet tipped me over. Well, that, and luck, since phase 2 had no anime slice, no clones, and just a single extra rot bloom which I spotted in time to run away from.

Feels good, man.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Radahn - When he jumps hiiiigh into the sky.. Is there any sort of visual cue he's about to crater down? is it just learning how long the jump lasts?

You can watch the big fuckoff meteor of a man falling from the sky towards whomever he's targetting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sab669 posted:

watch the sky, you can see him burning the whole way down

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I just picked up some lost runes in stormveil castle and it was like 25% less than i had when i died. Do I have some rune loss debuff equipped without realizing it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I love that when the skeletons form from out of the ground, they instinctively tap their head to make sure their nonexistent helmet is on correctly

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh I tried looking up but couldn't see poo poo.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shear Modulus posted:

I just picked up some lost runes in stormveil castle and it was like 25% less than i had when i died. Do I have some rune loss debuff equipped without realizing it?

The castle has a rune loss debuff equipped.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Relin posted:

preceptor miriam should have an achievement, ive died 10x more trying to kill her than any of the bosses =_=

I killed her first time, where’d she trip you up?

Bottom floor she walked towards me shooting spells at a stair rail until she got close enough to beat up in melee. Had a weapon which staggered her each hit so got a good bit of damage in.

Top floor was a ranged battle, dodge her attacks and return.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Huh I tried looking up but couldn't see poo poo.

Direction is random (afaict), so quickly scan 360 degrees

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Remember that sketchy dude that gave you the hint when you went in the back door?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

berenzen posted:

Remember that sketchy dude that gave you the hint when you went in the back door?

Yeah i told him i'd take the front door anyway and he opened it and i killed all the guards and found the bonfire then i used video game logic and turned around and went the wrong way to make sure i got all the items

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if you wanna feel jealous, ongbal, the famous sekiro guy, has started doing elden ring runs, so you can watch him do poo poo like no damage godrick as a level 1 wretch

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I love that when the skeletons form from out of the ground, they instinctively tap their head to make sure their nonexistent helmet is on correctly

I thought they were making sure their head was on tight

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vermain posted:

if you wanna feel jealous, ongbal, the famous sekiro guy, has started doing elden ring runs, so you can watch him do poo poo like no damage godrick as a level 1 wretch

I won't be impressed until someone beats elden ring blindfolded

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Radahn was fun, cool idea for a boss. It seems like its a lot easier to dodge the arrows and fight him on foot than on the horse. I only used it to ride around summoning the npcs for the second half

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

mistermojo posted:

Radahn was fun, cool idea for a boss. It seems like its a lot easier to dodge the arrows and fight him on foot than on the horse. I only used it to ride around summoning the npcs for the second half

horse is good for dodging shotgun blast and arrow rain during the initial approach, and good for dodging the meteor charge as well. But you shouldn’t actively fight him while you’re on the horse imo, he throws too many sweeps around his sides, you really need to be right up on his nuts.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finally got to Fire Giant and I can see what people were complaining about. Might just try the cheese strategy assuming it hasn't been patched out yet because this an extremely annoying design for a boss fight.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GlyphGryph posted:

Quitting meaning you have to select quit, which logs you out, then log back in so you can select quit again to close the game isn't really "minimalist", and there's a number of UX issues like that in the game. Like with the "sort items by most recent" thing, there may be a way around it but who the gently caress knows how you're supposed to figure it out.

This game is good at many things but it has some atrocious menu decisions.

Protip: as soon as the loading screen ends and the bamco splash screen shows up you can just alt-f4 instead of waiting to "log in" and pick quit again

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Atlas Plateau has been sitting there waiting for me for like 15 hours now lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shear Modulus posted:

I thought they were making sure their head was on tight

Probably but it’s still funny that way

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Probably but it’s still funny that way

Either way they weren't giving up

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Thank you for the tip in the OP also gently caress the Lake of Rot

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Regarding equip load, heavy is obviously terrible, but is light much better than medium?

I'm not sure that I'm understanding the difference between light and medium in terms of how it affects the roll, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth investing more points in endurance so that I can wear somewhat decent armor while maintaining a light load.

Is light worth shooting for?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Regarding equip load, heavy is obviously terrible, but is light much better than medium?

I'm not sure that I'm understanding the difference between light and medium in terms of how it affects the roll, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth investing more points on endurance so that I can wear somewhat decent armor while maintaining a light load.

Is light worth shooting for?

This is like DS2/3, light roll is basically just like medium but moves you slightly farther. So no.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

skasion posted:

This is like DS2/3, light roll is basically just like medium but moves you slightly farther. So no.
Thanks - that was my impression. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ending Chat: So is the Age of the Stars the "good" ending or is it just all left up to player interpretation? Predetermination by some golden dust and fingers on one side, Lovecraftian horrors from beyond and Ranni being weird on the other. I'm gonna toot Sekiro's horn once again. At least it's ultra involved option C ending was kinda happy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For PvE you really don't need a ton of Endurance unless you're using really heavy weapons. Having the rather generous DS3 mid-roll combined with Bloodborne-level Stamina consumption (meaning your attacks and rolls take much less Stamina than in the older Souls games) means that there's little reason to try to go for a light equip load or need a huge Stamina meter.

For PvP, though, people are probably going to pump Endurance because, again like in DS3, armor and poise are much more important for PvP. Every build is going to want the most protective armor they can wear in PvP I expect.

Aurubin posted:

Ending Chat: So is the Age of the Stars the "good" ending or is it just all left up to player interpretation? Predetermination by some golden dust and fingers on one side, Lovecraftian horrors from beyond and Ranni being weird on the other. I'm gonna toot Sekiro's horn once again. At least it's ultra involved option C ending was kinda happy.

Ending stuff: really you're dealing with some Lovecraftian stuff from the stars either way, given that the Greater Will is implied to be from the stars as well.

I have a vague theory that Ranni's path is the one intended by "fate" or whatever. There's a lot of talk of the stars guiding fate, and Radahn was very specifically holding them in check. The moment he dies, what happens? A falling star opens the path to exactly where you need to go to help Ranni on her path to becoming a deity.

That's some very vague speculation and I don't have a lot to base it on but I do wonder about that a bit.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 6, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Magma Scalesword seems pretty sweet, and it has the maneater cleaver moveset!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
when are you meant to do leyndall castle? getting lots of endgamey vibes and i still have unexplored regions on the map, undergrounds to explore n poo poo. My maiden just left me! Thinking I should zip out of here until I'm ready to beat the game?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lot of pvp connection errors today :/

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Where do I get lots of the basic smithy stone, it’s the only thing holding me back

Is the +8 banished knight’s halbred a static drop? I didn’t make it but I’m not actually sure where I picked it up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The jump is good and all but it also made From put in platforming and they're poo poo at it. So the next game shouldn't have a jump to prevent them from doing bad platforming. Having weird, stiff jumping in low light dungeons is not good or fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

when are you meant to do leyndall castle? getting lots of endgamey vibes and i still have unexplored regions on the map, undergrounds to explore n poo poo. My maiden just left me! Thinking I should zip out of here until I'm ready to beat the game?

It's like Anor Londo level. Probably like 3/4ths of the game if you don't do ANY side stuff.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Khanstant posted:

You're not at the endgame yet so no need to go around finishing off quests! I beat that a few days ago and still have. A lot. To do.

As a general rule, to progress there, you want to go in the direction of up if you can. Just keep doing that every opportunity and you should be able to move on. But of course, exploring the rest of the space has its own rewards and discoveries...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m pretty sure I’m in the final zone, cleared the fist boss in it, and god drat this place is exhausting in so many ways.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not sure if this happens if you don't procrastinate about fighting the boss and do a ton of other stuff first, but (Caelid Great Rune boss spoiler) during Radahn's fight, there were like 8 NPC summons available and it felt like this ragtag group of trash all coming together to defeat the baddest motherfucker alive and even though they all just died really fast it was kind of exhilarating in that way that you wouldn't tell anybody besides other people who are horrible nerds. i don't think i'm going to wait out any of the other stuff if i can help it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I may have gotten lost in Caelid after fighting Margit due to an errant teleporter I found in a lake and ran into a mean bloke with a halberd who summons spirit soldiers. Turns out he can't handle a horse running circle around him for five minutes while I slap him with a katana.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 6, 2022