Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is Age of Sigmar: Fury of the Deep, the new box with Idoneth and Fire Dwarves a limited time release? Or will it be available for the foreseeable future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Limited, like all previous battleboxes.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Limited, like all previous battleboxes.

Good to know. I wasn't seeing it on GW's website so was worried I missed it. I kind of didn't want to buy it right now and would have preferred to wait, but was able to get a copy on Amazon for 144. So I guess I lucked out!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the last model of Morgwaeth's Blade-coven yesterday.
Got them as a gift from a friend last year and I hate that it took me until now to finally get them painted up.

I really don't like painting fully assembled models, especially when they're so twisty like some of these are. But it's kinda hard to do subassemblies with the Underworld models.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished the last model of Morgwaeth's Blade-coven yesterday.
Got them as a gift from a friend last year and I hate that it took me until now to finally get them painted up.

I really don't like painting fully assembled models, especially when they're so twisty like some of these are. But it's kinda hard to do subassemblies with the Underworld models.

Yeah painting any model with thin whips makes me nervous. I want to make some sort of painting handle with a protective cage that somehow still lets me apply paint.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cleaning the halberd was a lot more worrying than painting it or the whip. That thing feels really, really flimsy and I was definitely worried it'd snap as I was trying to clean off some cruft on it.

I generally don't like whips on models because they always balloon out too much, even if they're not liable to snap.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/01/make-your-tides-of-death-even-more-tempestuous-with-potent-isharann-rituals

Fish elf magicks!

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 1, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, they finally made rituals worth thinking about! That ebb tide one is wild, although I don't know if anyone will be picking it without building around it. Wonder what the third round ritual is.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Good to know. I wasn't seeing it on GW's website so was worried I missed it. I kind of didn't want to buy it right now and would have preferred to wait, but was able to get a copy on Amazon for 144. So I guess I lucked out!

Amazingly already got my order, less than 24 hours after placing it. This modern world has some marvelous convenience sometimes. I only wish I had a local store to buy paint from. The closest is probably 70 miles away or so.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That looks really good, seems like they are going to stay a strong army.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real trick is figuring out which rounds you want to be good at on the start of round 1, and then having to declare it so your opponent knows when it's coming. But with benefits like that, knowing may not help.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/02/blunt-your-enemies-charges-with-the-fyreslayers-fierce-new-command-ability/

Talking about Fyreslayer command abilities.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mors Rattus posted:

The real trick is figuring out which rounds you want to be good at on the start of round 1, and then having to declare it so your opponent knows when it's coming. But with benefits like that, knowing may not help.

So knowing is half the battle?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Was really hoping a mix of eels, sharks, and turtles would be competitive but it sounds like the new Idoneth book is just switching eel spam for shark spam instead. Really wish they'd write the AoS rules in a way that didn't just encourage taking as many of whatever the current busted unit is as you can + whatever heroes buff them.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Thankfully, most people don't chase meta outside 40k locally... and that's one of a few reasons why I don't play 40k.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
We've got no clue how the Idoneth book will shake out - is itin the wild yet? The sharks seem cool but a 4+ save doesn't make those 10 wounds go far.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The Deleter posted:

We've got no clue how the Idoneth book will shake out - is itin the wild yet? The sharks seem cool but a 4+ save doesn't make those 10 wounds go far.

Won't know all of the details until tomorrow but the source of leaks on it that has been reliable so far apparently said that eels are going to up 195 points and Leviadons are going to be 500, and that thrall-heavy lists are going to be really, really good now. I hope they're full of poo poo because that's like the exact opposite of what I want lol, I hate the Namarti sculpts and all the cool sea life was the entire reason I got interested in Idoneth. I love the sharks but I don't want my army to just be 8-10 of them because everything else is overcosted.

My local meta is semi-competitive so I can probably get by with some degree of just playing whatever units I like the look of, within reason.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well I have a ton of Namarti now and lol if it makes them own. Shame about the turtles, that's a hefty price point. Anything else about eel rules? I'd like a coherency change at the very least.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have a turtle but I am too scared to paint it!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The Deleter posted:

Well I have a ton of Namarti now and lol if it makes them own. Shame about the turtles, that's a hefty price point. Anything else about eel rules? I'd like a coherency change at the very least.

Battletome review is up and yeah lol Namarti horde is gonna be bonkers and everything else kinda looks poo poo except maybe shark spam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6llVWGt0xm4

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 5, 2022

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This is all absolutely fine for me since I have a ton of namarti and a third shark from Fury of the Deep, so I'm gonna be rocking Bloodthirsty Shivers or fuckin Charge and Fight Again Namarti hordes. Seems like this book owns imo.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Reviews from Goonhammer:

https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-fyreslayers-3rd-edition-review/
https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-idoneth-deepkin-the-goonhammer-review/

The new books seem fine(?) Not sure how their players are going to react, but if we see more variety in lists, that's a win for me.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm hoping my first impressions of the book are overblown but it just kinda feels like trading one kind of spam for another. Eels seem strictly inferior to sharks now, and the Leviadon is pretty drat powerful but absolutely not 500 points powerful. Kinda weird anyway since eel spam was already basically disappearing from the competitive scene in favor of sharks already, and now they're even better. Probably just a result of books being written well in advance and not getting to keep up with how the meta shifts, though.

It's a good, strong book and seems well balanced apart from needing a couple of small points adjustments here and there, I'm just bummed that every time I start putting together a list that seems fun and capable of hanging in a pretty competitive local meta a new book comes out and knocks it down a peg.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 6, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This is just the excuse I need to continue not painting my turtle.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's a good, strong book and seems well balanced apart from needing a couple of small points adjustments here and there, I'm just bummed that every time I start putting together a list that seems fun and capable of hanging in a pretty competitive local meta a new book comes out and knocks it down a peg.
This is the real poo poo, to be honest. GW needs to absolutely modernise how it thinks about, writes and distributes its ruleset but it won't do that because selling the books brings in money. You could draw a parallel with the incredibly rapid churn of Magic the Gathering sets, in a way, except the models you buy from GW can be used for other things and MTG cards can't really.

You either take the moment in stride and accept your books sucks/rules and it'll change in the future, or you take the models and a copy of a different game you like and play that instead.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would be interested to know how many people actually play the game. I collect, assemble, and occasionally paint the models, and that is the most fun portion for me. I might get a few games in per edition. The army list gives me an interesting guide in how I collect my miniatures, and provides a fun thought experiment, but again, that portion, for me, significantly outweighs how much actually playing I will do. If the models were ugly and low end would anyone play age of sigmar or anything by GW? I really find it to be a hobby with a game attached as a bonus option.

That being said, a fair number of people must play the game because the releases are obviously designed to entice sales. Each release either shakes up an army, adds power creep, or some combination of that until there needs to be a big reset and a new edition launched. Or in the case of WHFB it gets to the point where they just say "gently caress your models and your armies, we're doing something different now".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Having played some Necromunda back in the day, the narrative stuff can be really compelling because it's less competitive and more about telling a story which is fun. I'd like to play the game but I haven't been able to since I got back into the hobby with the Lumineth box nearly two years ago

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Back to my Nurgle Army. Getting kinda close to the end of painting this army.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

They look good, did you use mordant earth for the bases?

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They look good, did you use mordant earth for the bases?

Yep, mordant earth. Trying for something that looks like volcanic ash over ice.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would be interested to know how many people actually play the game. I collect, assemble, and occasionally paint the models, and that is the most fun portion for me. I might get a few games in per edition. The army list gives me an interesting guide in how I collect my miniatures, and provides a fun thought experiment, but again, that portion, for me, significantly outweighs how much actually playing I will do. If the models were ugly and low end would anyone play age of sigmar or anything by GW? I really find it to be a hobby with a game attached as a bonus option.

That being said, a fair number of people must play the game because the releases are obviously designed to entice sales. Each release either shakes up an army, adds power creep, or some combination of that until there needs to be a big reset and a new edition launched. Or in the case of WHFB it gets to the point where they just say "gently caress your models and your armies, we're doing something different now".

I've had all of two games in 2022, which will be going up hopefully now that the new battletome is out there.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

abravemoose posted:

Yep, mordant earth. Trying for something that looks like volcanic ash over ice.

Did you have any problems with it damaging the pigment or paint underneath? I saw a review and someone mentioned that, and that they thought it might work better with a varnish coat applied. Yours look like the paint was fine, did you varnish the base colors first?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Selling some old stuff that's been sitting around in my closet (a half done Sylvaneth army and SCE army) and buying some Ironjawz since I love orks (excuse me, "Orruks").

Two start collecting boxes, two mawkrushas, and a shaman would give me:

Boss on Mawkrusha
Boss on Mawkrusha
Warchanter
Warchanter
Shaman
5x Ardboys
5x Ardboys
5x Ardboys
5x Ardboys
3x Goregruntas
3x Goregruntas

Which seems like a pretty straightforward way to get a 2000 pt army for relatively cheap. Am I running into any big pitfalls with this list?

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Did you have any problems with it damaging the pigment or paint underneath? I saw a review and someone mentioned that, and that they thought it might work better with a varnish coat applied. Yours look like the paint was fine, did you varnish the base colors first?

The base's paint is coated in transparent craft glue to increase cracklyness, so I've avoided that issue. I wasn't aware it damages paints but thanks for mentioning it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

abravemoose posted:

The base's paint is coated in transparent craft glue to increase cracklyness, so I've avoided that issue. I wasn't aware it damages paints but thanks for mentioning it.

Yeah, I read this article and it seems kind of hard to describe, but I guess the mordant earth can suck up pigment from the paint and cause it to look milky and broken?

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-base-everything-the-floor-is-lava/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I really *want* to play more games but every store near me has either cancelled all in-person play or is full of people who refuse to mask, so while I'm boostered up and in good health I would feel extremely dumb if I got sick over playing army men.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like game stores only exist in two opposite forms; those that are strongly inclusive and have a bunch of interesting people who feel comfortable shopping and gaming there, and are therefore likely closed to in-person still, or those stores people go to get swastika decals to make their armies look "more historically accurate" and have 40k armies festooned in various "dark energy runes", and unsurprisingly those places are full of chuds without masks.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Stormcast Ballista for this week.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I feel like game stores only exist in two opposite forms; those that are strongly inclusive and have a bunch of interesting people who feel comfortable shopping and gaming there, and are therefore likely closed to in-person still, or those stores people go to get swastika decals to make their armies look "more historically accurate" and have 40k armies festooned in various "dark energy runes", and unsurprisingly those places are full of chuds without masks.

The main store in my area for 40k/AoS is finally reopening to in-store play, but have said that they will still require masks while inside the store. Dunno how the "Nazi" situation is there, but it used to be pretty good about keeping those fucks out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/14/will-you-become-predator-or-prey-in-the-latest-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battlescroll-update

It's Battlescroll update time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That new rule is weird but I kind of like it. It's one of those things they can tweak around without moving point values or scrolls.