Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I will pretty much be setting them up and then never moving them, so that's fine. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

fast cars loose anus posted:

So I have a couple LG 27GL83A-B 27" monitors that the thread recommended. Love em but looking to reclaim some desk space with a dual mount. Anything I need to look for besides "can this hold the weight and is it the right size for the mount on the back"? There's a newegg sale on right now that has one that meets the specs cheap (this one) but I know gently caress all about this sort of thing

Make sure that not only is the mount able to handle the weight, but that it is tuned for it (i.e. you don't want it too heavy or too light either, if it is too light the gas springs will extend it all the way up). Look up the weight of your monitor model without stand, and make sure the weight is around the middle of the range of what the mount lists. You can fine tune them by turning the spring screw with a screwdriver, usually.

Also, make sure your desk itself can handle the mount. That's two monitors and some aluminum/steel focused on a singe point. Real wood can handle it, particle board or Ikea honeycomb has the potential to fail or warp over time, especially if it is humid in your area. If you use a piece of scrap plywood on the top and bottom of the table it'll spread the weight better.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way to control display backlight brightness from inside windows like you do with ACPI laptops and their screen brightness but for a desktop over DP?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there any way to control display backlight brightness from inside windows like you do with ACPI laptops and their screen brightness but for a desktop over DP?

There's a specific protocol I forgot the name of that allows software control of a monitor's functions that could do this, but you need to download the software from your device's manufacturer and not every monitor supports this. Alternatively: enable HDR mode in windows and your monitor and then use the brightness slider in the HDR config screen. Though a lot of monitors don't look great in the windows desktop environment while HDR is enabled.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Am I missing anything with this listing? Why is this so cheap? I was primarily looking for 34" 1440 ultrawides but this looks too good to be true.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

cage-free egghead posted:

Am I missing anything with this listing? Why is this so cheap? I was primarily looking for 34" 1440 ultrawides but this looks too good to be true.

i mean, that user has never sold anything before but has a high rating, so it's a target for 'hackers' but if you're willing to take the risk of having to use ebays money back guarantee i dunno if it's a bad way to go necessarily

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There's a specific protocol I forgot the name of that allows software control of a monitor's functions that could do this, but you need to download the software from your device's manufacturer and not every monitor supports this. Alternatively: enable HDR mode in windows and your monitor and then use the brightness slider in the HDR config screen. Though a lot of monitors don't look great in the windows desktop environment while HDR is enabled.

One thing I like about a few HPs I have is that the brightness is directly accessible from the side buttons. No menu digging to get them. I wish there was OS support tho like laptops. Maybe in 5 years.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Shaocaholica posted:

ControlMyMonitor from NirSoft is supposed to be able to do that.

quote:

ControlMyMonitor allows you view and modify the settings of your monitor (Also known as 'VCP Features'), like brightness, contrast, sharpness, red/green/blue color balance, OSD Language, Input Port (VGA , DVI , HDMI ) and more... You can modify the monitor settings from the GUI and from command-line. You can also export all settings of your monitor into a configuration file and then later load the same configuration back into your monitor.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My job will buy me a monitor but I need to select the specific one I want before I make the request. What are some good, not too expensive, choices for a curved 4k monitor for programming and cad work? I've got a 4k 30" TV I've been using at home and it's generally fine except for a few UI issues stemming from being a TV and I wish it was curved.

I don't need fast refresh rate or the best color reproduction, but I wouldn't complain if those were on the table for similar prices to monitors without. A built in USB hub would be great but not required if that is somehow limiting.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So I have a couple LG 27GL83A-B 27" monitors that the thread recommended. Love em but looking to reclaim some desk space with a dual mount. Anything I need to look for besides "can this hold the weight and is it the right size for the mount on the back"? There's a newegg sale on right now that has one that meets the specs cheap (this one) but I know gently caress all about this sort of thing

I got a similar model from EVEO on Amazon, also for a pair of 27" monitors. As Rexxed said, they work, but are a pain to adjust. Mostly I'm lucky that my desk height is such that it's not difficult to get them into the position I find optimal (top of the monitor close to eye level when I sit up straight). The few times I tried to rotate one of the monitors to portrait and back, it took a good deal of fiddling to align properly.

I drilled a hole for a mounting screw rather than use the clamp as my desk is against one wall, and then I found that the included nut didn't actually screw on properly, probably because the screw's threading was off. Anyway, they offered to ship a new set or give me a full refund rather than just send me a replacement screw, which I kind of understand but seems extreme. Anyway, for $0, I'm satisfied, but if this is reflective of the quality control on the more important parts, I'd be wary of these lower tier brands.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah it's too important to just grab a sale thing, on further reflection, so I'll just set aside some money to get a good one

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

Well, it's a five year old model. If it's seen five years of active use, that will limit its future lifespan. Also it will perform like a five year old IPS—kinda slow and slightly blurry in motion, most likely. If you're getting this for gaming, I'd consider just getting a high-refresh 1440p ultrawide instead. If this isn't for gaming, then it'll probably be okay. Just don't be surprised if it craps out in a few years or something.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, it's a five year old model. If it's seen five years of active use, that will limit its future lifespan. Also it will perform like a five year old IPS—kinda slow and slightly blurry in motion, most likely. If you're getting this for gaming, I'd consider just getting a high-refresh 1440p ultrawide instead. If this isn't for gaming, then it'll probably be okay. Just don't be surprised if it craps out in a few years or something.

Good call. I didn't consider the age of it.

I'm looking for something to replace my current dual monitor setup. I've got a 24" Asus 144hz monitor and a 22" Dell piece of poo poo. The Asus is great and I really like the higher refresh rate, but it is very under utilized as I don't play games as much, and the ones I do play usually struggle past 60+ fps anyways.

I'll be using both a Macbook and my desktop pretty soon, and people online have said that having PBP is great for instances like that if you hop between machines. Even with one machine though having the screen real estate would be nice. A quick measurement of my setup puts physical space of my two monitors about what a 34" UW would anyways.

Really though I'm not sure if I'd like an UW vs just getting a higher resolution 27" or 32" and using my current Asus in portrait. I've been having trouble deciding between UW or not for weeks.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

My beloved PG279Q was on the blink so I took the plunge and upgraded to a Gigabyte M28U. It's great, I can't tell any difference from the DSC or whatever when running it at 144hz. The inbuilt KVM also whips, I work from my MBP and game slash post from my windows desktop and it's very nice being able to switch between the two with only a single button press. Only issue is the USB-C charging is only 15W so it's not quite a one cable dock solution. Anyway, thank's for reading my post.

functional
Feb 12, 2008

Sphyre posted:

My beloved PG279Q was on the blink so I took the plunge and upgraded to a Gigabyte M28U.

I "bought" the last one and then on the day it was supposed to arrive Amazon told me well we don't have it and we need another month and maybe we'll have it. tired of them presenting items as being from Amazon but it's actually a drop shipper or whatever is happening

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

functional posted:

I "bought" the last one and then on the day it was supposed to arrive Amazon told me well we don't have it and we need another month and maybe we'll have it. tired of them presenting items as being from Amazon but it's actually a drop shipper or whatever is happening

jit!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Just upgraded from a AW3418DW to a Gigabyte M32U, which came with the lastest firmware. I'm noticing that games like FFXIV look so much more vibrant, they looked a bit washed out on my older display. Is there any additional calibration I should do with the M32U to get the best picture, or is this good out of the box?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Does anyone know if 32 inch VA 2560x1440p FALD monitors exist?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 3, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KingEup posted:

Does anyone know if 32 inch VA 1440p FALD monitors exist?

the ASUS PG35VQ / Acer X35 is a 35-inch, 3440x1440 VA panel with like 384 zones. it's probably the same/similar vertical height to a 32-inch but is a bit wider with a corresponding wider horizontal resolution. but it's also two grand+. i think this might be the closest thing to what you're after.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Apologies, forgot to mention looking for a 16:9 2560x1440p display.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if those are hard constraints, then no, i don’t think so at this time

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

OK thanks, confirms my own google searches.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe Samsung will do a 1440p Neo QLED at some point, but that doesn't seem to be in the immediate plans. They're releasing a 4K 32" monitor in a few months, but that's it for now. I don't know of anyone else doing these kinds of displays. AU Optronics, Innolux, and LG all seem to be focusing on IPS + FALD backlights with only Samsung bucking the trend with their VA-based Neo QLED tech.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LG announced an Ultragear gaming monitor using their C2 panel... except it's the 48" version instead of the 42" version: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/lg-ultragear-48-oled-gaming-monitor

Why?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Speaking of LG, I just managed to finally order a 27GP950-B, but it's a "27GP950-B.AUS", so I'm afraid it'll start talking like Steve Irwin.

Does LG produce some monitors in Australia or something like that?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just bought a huge rear end Dell U4320q. See if I like it for work.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I've been out of the game for six or seven years now. I actually still use one of those 27" Korean 96hz monitors mentioned in the OP. I've seen several curved screens at work and they intrigue me.

Are curved monitors worth a poo poo?

If so, what's the best bang for buck currently around $300 US? Would prefer something at least 27".

Thanks!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Few days old and I literally did not read any posts beyond this point, but I essentially have this setup, but with the GN950s — same size, however.

I use AmazonBasic’s dual monitor mount and screwed it into my wooden desktop. It has served me well and I genuinely could not imagine a better mount than this one. It’s ultimately just a mount, but everything about it feels incredibly premium. I even have the same AmazonBasics but single monitor mount on my wall as well so I have a 24” monitor dart out towards me for other random fun stuff.

Here’s a pretty basic look at it:

It’s this mount: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Dual-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN71I

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shaocaholica posted:

Just bought a huge rear end Dell U4320q. See if I like it for work.

This would be a good choice for me if it had daisy chain capability.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TFT Central just reviewed the AOC AGON Pro AG274QXM, a 1440p 170Hz IPS with a 576-zone mini-LED FALD backlight that's out in Europe and Asia but not NA yet. This will be one of the first "affordable" (less than $2k) displays of this type. https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc-agon-pro-ag274qxm

Unfortunately, there are a bunch of weird issues with this one. An sRGB mode that locks your brightness control to an unusably bright setting, a backlight that flickers on a PWM duty cycle, and an HDR image that appears washed-out in the windows desktop. The FALD is slow to respond, and it only slightly enhances contrast in content with bright and dark spots adjacent to each other. TFT Central reports that the blooming is subtle in real content, but that may only be because black levels are not especially dark in real content to begin with. The HDR image sounds superior to SDR by a fair margin in properly mastered HDR content, but the review gives me the impression that it's not as good as it could be. It does not seem worth the thousand or so bucks this 27" 1440p display will cost. Spending $300 more on the wider Alienware QD-OLED coming out at the end of the month seems like a no brainer to me.

DammitJanet posted:

I've been out of the game for six or seven years now. I actually still use one of those 27" Korean 96hz monitors mentioned in the OP. I've seen several curved screens at work and they intrigue me.

Are curved monitors worth a poo poo?

If so, what's the best bang for buck currently around $300 US? Would prefer something at least 27".

Thanks!

The curve on its own is purely a matter of taste. Some people love curved displays, others hate them. Most cheap curved monitors use crappy VA panels with terrible dark-level smearing, though. Essentially, response times for dark color transitions are bad on these displays, which means that you get an ugly smeary trail effect that gets especially bad in dark scenes. For $300 or less, I'd just recommend the flat-panel HP X27q. It uses a nice-looking and responsive IPS panel from LG, and it's a solid bang-for-your-buck monitor at 1440p.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 6, 2022

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I just got a new IPS(MSI MAG274QRF-QD) after years of using a TN after learning that the motion performance differences are basically gone. Actually, it's not strictly new; it was sold by 'Amazon Warehouse' as 'Like New' but I didn't realize that until after I ordered it :downs:. There is one stuck pixel somewhat near the center I'll have to see if I can live with. The motion performance is indeed awesome but I don't trust my own eyeballs and am wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether the uniformity is reasonable for a modern IPS. Superficially, the right side looks a little funky to me:

joe football fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 5, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

been a while since i got a new one but that seems pretty standard imo

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'd return it. You can do better. More for the stuck pixel than the irregularity, although I would say the irregularity may be a bit subpar too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I'd return it. You can do better. More for the stuck pixel than the irregularity, although I would say the irregularity may be a bit subpar too.

yeah i mean i wouldn't put up with a stuck pixel if you can return it for that reason alone, i just find IPS glow to always have a bit of irregularity

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Looking for a 32" 4k TV or monitor that I can use with my Xbox, as well as potentially with my Macbook. Ideally it'd have USB-C, HDMI, Displayport, and speakers. Anyone have any recommendations?

There's this from LG for $350: https://www.amazon.com/LG-32UN500-W...489&sr=8-3&th=1

Dell has this for $380, although it's only 27": https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-4k-uhd-usb-c-monitor-s2722qc/apd/210-bbqt/monitors-monitor-accessories

Both of those have speakers but they apparently aren't very good. 32" 4k TV's seem hard to come by for some reason. This Samsung seems to be one of the few available options for $449: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-32-class-q60a-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6465202.p?skuId=6465202

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
If you are returning monitors because, 'you can do better' when you receive a perfectly average panel, you are a huge prick.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A stuck pixel in the middle of the screen is not "perfectly average". That poo poo is defective and belongs in a dump.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo depends on how noticeable a bad pixel is

dead ones usually fade out of visibility, some stuck ones can be kinda annoying depending on content

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'd consider a stuck pixel. It really depends on the nature of the stick, but IPS glow is a weak, weak excuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are degrees of IPS glow. I have a moderate amount of glow on my current monitor and I live with it, but I probably would've returned it if it were any worse.

I just don't get the objection here. The OP got a monitor with a stuck pixel and noticeable uniformity issues, so yes, they can do better and should go for a return. Are you suggesting they'd be a prick because they'd inconvenience amazon, a multi-billion dollar megacorporation, and should just live with a sub-par display? come on, man.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 6, 2022