Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lister posted:

It was #10 Forward St. Do you get it? It's like the bar from the space ship.

Do they do a huge wink and nod with Picard saying "It's good to see you in Ten Foreward again, Guinan"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Lister posted:

It was #10 Forward St. Do you get it? It's like the bar from the space ship.

But because every sci-fi bar has to be the cantina from Star Wars it’s dark and dingy and located in the back of a dirty alleyway. You’d think Guinan might prefer a little class?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
She served drinks on a cursed cruise ship for eight years, do you think she cares if it's a dive?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She asks Picard if he wants top shelf or "hooch". I don't think she's ever been snobbish.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
A future Earth where everything is a short walk away due to transporters sounds ripe with possibilities for episodic sci-fi.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We could have had "Cheers but with Star Trek licensed characters", but no, we get this.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Guinan slums it as a barkeep on a Federation flag ship. Her friend is the captain and that's how she got the job. Seems like something one would do if you're immortal and have some time to kill while your friend tries out his plum assignment. Doesn't seem like something an immortal would want to do in perpetuity.

Is this some kind of Federation community service sentence.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

Guinan slums it as a barkeep on a Federation flag ship. Her friend is the captain and that's how she got the job. Seems like something one would do if you're immortal and have some time to kill while your friend tries out his plum assignment. Doesn't seem like something an immortal would want to do in perpetuity.

Is this some kind of Federation community service sentence.

I dunno she's pretty loving good at it

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Do they do a huge wink and nod with Picard saying "It's good to see you in Ten Foreward again, Guinan"?

No, but she did have a line that was like "oh yeah, I look old and fat as poo poo now even though I've always been centuries old because my species can age when they choose to"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sorry but gangs of new york sucks.
not sticcking around for the fallout on this one, i'm going to bed

i hope hell is real and you just get to watch whedon league for all eternity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

PostNouveau posted:

Watching Picard.

Oh my god he's gonna make out with his Romulan nurse this is the worst thing they could have done with her. They killed the other Romulan offscreen.

Big catchup with all the characters, most of them converge on a big green space butthole. They're all on the Stargazer which is even more futuristic now because it has FOUR nacelles. Picard's the chancellor of Starfleet.

Guinan's tending bar ... somewhere. Picard's getting her advice on how he's gonna bang his Romulan nurse. Lots of talk about how he's always such a sad loner. I guess that's all we're gonna see of Whoopi.

:siren: Temporal radiation :siren: coming from the space butthole. Gonna be some time travel bullshit. Space butthole aliens want to join the Federation but will only talk to Picard about it.

A Borg ship comes through the big green space butthole. The Borg send over a queen to negotiate. There's a lame action sequence that ends with Picard self-destructing the Stargazer to save the rest of the fleet.

Picard wakes up on Earth and Q is there to taunt him. At first it's CGI young Q but then he ages up to catch up with Picard. Delancey looks loving great.

Ah, overall seems like they had an interesting idea for the first episode but now it's gonna swing wildly into some dumb time travel alternate universe bullshit where they spend the whole season in 2024 based on the preview.

Didn't the Stargazer always have four nacelles?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Happened upon the original godzilla from 1954 on youtube and I was really pleased with how well it holds up. Really appreciate the practical effects and camera angles for miniatures.

It's so good. I first watched it a few years back when I was going through some horror classics I'd missed in chronological order, and it was such a huge step forward for horror movies. Pure existential dread, the idea that everything you know will be destroyed by a force outside of your control.

I watched the American version afterwards and it's wild how they softened the message.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I saw The Batman today. I really really liked it. It pushed all the right noir buttons for me. If you can see it in Dolby Cinema, do it. The sound mix was really good and you can hear and feel all the bone crushing hits and poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

priznat posted:

Big titty turnip man costume is p impressive. I have never understood the appeal of shittier looking but live production versions of movies tho.

it says in the tweet that it's a stageplay, not a live action movie.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Oh don’t worry I EPICALLY owned them on that already, got so many upvotes dude

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Trash posted:

Oh don’t worry I EPICALLY owned them on that already, got so many upvotes dude

Thank you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Your mom has four nacelles

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

infernal machines posted:

That'd be like making a DOOM movie with no demons

i mean...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gripweed posted:

it says in the tweet that it's a stageplay, not a live action movie.

Oh that’s what I meant, like live stage production not live action. Unless they were originally a musical of course.

I don’t really get remaking animation as a live action film either though but that’s a whole other separate thing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Oh look now you anime fans can go jack off to incomprehensible gibberish live

https://twitter.com/Carlos_Film/status/1499831183495950336

I'm not afraid to say this looks cool. would love to see more of how they bring all the fantastical little critters to life. Also is the witch just a person or did they make a big unwieldy loving paper mache head

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

kalel posted:

I'm not afraid to say this looks cool. would love to see more of how they bring all the fantastical little critters to life. Also is the witch just a person or did they make a big unwieldy loving paper mache head

Regular person. You can see her here: https://www.polygon.com/22961714/spirited-away-stage-play-photos

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lmao

played by the original Japanese vo too

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Mike should just force Rich to watch some of the Ghost Adventure episodes so that they can make a video about them.

kalel posted:

Lmao

played by the original Japanese vo too

I thought that was a Margret Thatcher Land of Confusion puppet.

Edit: Confusion, not Illusion.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 6, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mallratcal posted:

Mike should just force Rich to watch some of the Ghost Adventure episodes so that they can make a video about them.

I thought that was Margret Thatcher Land of Illusion puppet.

She's nowhere near villainous enough

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno she's pretty loving good at it
She's a better therapist than Troi

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

She's a better therapist than Troi

Troi's dependent on her superpower. Guinan actually listens to people and understands them.

They had that one episode where Troi couldn't read minds and had to do therapy like a normal person and she was loving useless.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

Troi's dependent on her superpower. Guinan actually listens to people and understands them.

They had that one episode where Troi couldn't read minds and had to do therapy like a normal person and she was loving useless.
She turns into a huge rear end in a top hat in that episode too

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers but I gotta know - do we get to watch his parents die again

Nope. Absolutely zero pearls fell to the ground during the entire three-hour runtime.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

LanceHunter posted:

Nope. Absolutely zero pearls fell to the ground during the entire three-hour runtime.

Hmm, this adds at least .5 stars to my rating

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hmm, Roger Ebert lived long enough to review The Human Centipede
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-human-centipede-2010

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hmm, Roger Ebert lived long enough to review The Human Centipede
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-human-centipede-2010

quote:

I am required to award stars to movies I review. This time, I refuse to do it. The star rating system is unsuited to this film. Is the movie good? Is it bad? Does it matter? It is what it is and occupies a world where the stars don't shine.
lol

big fan of late period Ebert's resigned consternation with the eli roth-ification of horror

quote:

Not many unseasoned audience members will find the 2009 rape scene "toned down," and indeed I found it painful to watch. In the 2005 film, it was so reprehensibly and lingeringly sadistic, I found it unforgivable. So now my job as a film critic involved grading rape scenes.

I don't think I can. I wrote that original "Last House" review 37 years ago. I am not the same person. I am uninterested in being "consistent." I approach the new film as simply a filmgoer. I must say it is very well made. The rape scene appalled me. Other scenes, while violent, fell within the range of contemporary horror films, which strive to invent new ways to kill people, so the horror fans in the audience will get a laugh.

This film, for example, which as I write has inspired only one review (by "Fright"), has generated a spirited online discussion about whether you can kill someone by sticking their head in a microwave. Many argue that a microwave won't operate with the door open. Others cite an early scene establishing that the microwave is "broken." The question of whether one should microwave a man's head never arises.

The film is an effective representative of its genre, and horror fans will like it, I think, but who knows? I'm giving it a 2.5 in the silly star rating system and throwing up my hands.
😔

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mallratcal posted:

I thought that was a Margret Thatcher Land of Confusion puppet.

Edit: Confusion, not Illusion.

Technically the puppets from that music video are from The Spitting Image, an old British political satire that recently got rebooted to mock Boris Johnson and Trump.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Cubone posted:

lol

big fan of late period Ebert's resigned consternation with the eli roth-ification of horror

😔

didn't realize Ebert was broken on the wheel on aughts horror schlock

to be fair, those were truly dire times

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Troi loses her powers and suddenly has a major crisis because nobody around her feels real any more. And to be fair, that would be loving weird. Like imagine if everyone you knew was suddenly replaced with a slightly uncanny CGI image, and you were expected to carry on as if that was completely normal.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What I'm saying is Troi became a modern actor

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I was lying in bed, just barely awake and a thought entered my mind: the Coen Brothers are the only directors who could adapt Blood Meridian, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mordja posted:

So I was lying in bed, just barely awake and a thought entered my mind: the Coen Brothers are the only directors who could adapt Blood Meridian, right?

I dunno, I think Andrew Dominik could take a whack at it. Maybe Craig Zahler, or Quentin Tarentino, or Paul Thomas Anderson. Takashi Miike could have an interesting take, or Takeshi Kitano. Give Bong Joon-Ho or Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert a crack at it. Taika Watiti or Wes Anderson or the Russo Brothers or Paul W. S. Anderson.

There's lots of directors out there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Anything to keep james franco away from it