Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

For PvE you really don't need a ton of Endurance unless you're using really heavy weapons. Having the rather generous DS3 mid-roll combined with Bloodborne-level Stamina consumption (meaning your attacks and rolls take much less Stamina than in the older Souls games) means that there's little reason to try to go for a light equip load or need a huge Stamina meter.

For PvP, though, people are probably going to pump Endurance because, again like in DS3, armor and poise are much more important for PvP. Every build is going to want the most protective armor they can wear in PvP I expect.

Ending stuff: really you're dealing with some Lovecraftian stuff from the stars either way, given that the Greater Will is implied to be from the stars as well.

I have a vague theory that Ranni's path is the one intended by "fate" or whatever. There's a lot of talk of the stars guiding fate, and Radahn was very specifically holding them in check. The moment he dies, what happens? A falling star opens the path to exactly where you need to go to help Ranni on her path to becoming a deity.

That's some very vague speculation and I don't have a lot to base it on but I do wonder about that a bit.

There are multiple gods not in the game also vying for attention such as the formless mother. Its one of my big complaints we can't actually figure out what the Erdtree/Great Will actually wants. I assume it wants more erdtrees (and the ending fight shows you shitloads of finished ones) but the game never references them existing outside the lands between or tell you what it does. Ranni's might be driven by a competing "fate", but its hard to say if thats the case or not, since we have so little.

I think, maybe, the erdtree works as an incubator for more Elden Beasts and breaking the elden ring stops its siphoning system, but that still doesn't explain why Marika had a change of heart.

Ranni is definitely the Gloam Eyed Witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugh, three connection errors and a game crash doing pvp. Come on From, I just got Rejection and I'm on a cliff.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

And that's the game beaten. What a ride.

Ended with the Ranni ending, with thanks to this thread as I would have missed out on that otherwise, since I never ever noticed the option to talk to the doll at graces in the underground sections. That's a pretty stupid place to put that stuff (same with Melina, really) but ah, got rescued by goons and the rest was pretty straightforward. The ending itself was, uh, kinda weirdly confusing. Not quite sure what happened or why, I'll have to read stuff I guess. But I married a witch whose spirit animates a creepy 4-handed blue doll, so burning the world tree was totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

My only regret, but I'll hack at it now, is still not having beaten Malenia. I got close a few times, but no bananas after banging my head on her for hours. And it doesn't help that my big hammer is affected by the +25 bug meaning that upgrading it would be a downgrade, so it's "only" +24, and I like to think that this little upgrade could be the last little bit of help I need to get through. Defective hammer screenshot below:

Otherwise, I didn't expect so much stuff past the Fire Giant. The crumbled city is surprisingly big, and quite the unexpected boss rush. That Elden Beast fight at the end felt pretty jank, mind. I died a few times to that yellow ball following you while tiny shooting stars hammer you at the same time, but somehow managed to survive it on a sliver of health on the winning run, just enough to heal up and jump back into the fray.

I can't help but wonder how much I missed now. While the map is fully revealed (unlike before i went to the Halig Tree area), some places look like areas of interest, like the coastal city in between the capital and the volcano.

edit: drat, had mangled the spoiler tags, fixed now.

If you go with the Ranni ending, does the whole world still stay hosed up and smoky with the erdtree always on fire? I got the generic ending and kind of annoyed that every zone has ruined lighting now, it really discourages doing anything else after you set the tree on fire. I think there's one ending where you keep it intact, I might try get that one next.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
BTW, is defense fully understood at this point as a stat? It *looks* just like Dark Souls 3 on the stat screen, but do we know if things like the penalty to base defense for empty slots still applies?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think Sofria River is the first area I've straight up disliked, despite how cool it looks and how jaw-dropping it was to stumble upon for the first time. Just too many unfun mechanics stacked on top of one another. Invisible enemies, archers with near-infinite range, light the beacons minigame without an easy way to track which ones you've done Thankfully I was really overleveled by the time I cleared it out, so it was more tedious than torturous.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Lester Shy posted:

I think Sofria River is the first area I've straight up disliked, despite how cool it looks and how jaw-dropping it was to stumble upon for the first time. Just too many unfun mechanics stacked on top of one another. Invisible enemies, archers with near-infinite range, light the beacons minigame without an easy way to track which ones you've done Thankfully I was really overleveled by the time I cleared it out, so it was more tedious than torturous.
The only thing I've looked up so far was where the beacons are because I lit 7/8 and had no inkling of where the remaining one was. Honestly having 3 prominent ones like in Farron Keep instead of 8 small ones scattered everywhere would have been better.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Also this game has too many similar sounding names. I'm sure it's all thematic, but it gets really confusing. Godwyn, Godfrey, Godrick. Radahn, Radagon, Ranni, Renna, Renalla. Margit, Marika, Miquella, Malenia, Melina, Malekith, Mohg, Morgott.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ve gotten myself pretty well burned out on my current equipment: a sword and a shield. What’s a really fun melee weapon I should go acquire that will result in a different play style? I have high strength and ok dexterity

I also considered starting over and trying magic, but I don’t want to replay everything

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Also this game has too many similar sounding names. I'm sure it's all thematic, but it gets really confusing. Godwyn, Godfrey, Godrick. Radahn, Radagon, Ranni, Renna, Renalla. Margit, Marika, Miquella, Malenia, Melina, Malekith, Mohg, Morgott.

Yeah it’s awful and confusing and then people coyly spoiler the names like it means anything

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blue squares posted:

I’ve gotten myself pretty well burned out on my current equipment: a sword and a shield. What’s a really fun melee weapon I should go acquire that will result in a different play style? I have high strength and ok dexterity

I also considered starting over and trying magic, but I don’t want to replay everything

You unlock respeccing for beating Rennala (2nd easiest rune bearer)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's because Radagon and Marika are lovely parents that like to name all their kids the same.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to do more damage for Loretta. I've got an Astrologer's Staff+5. Are there any better weapons for sorcery out there?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

https://twitter.com/fumangoo/status/1500311785106251779

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I know there's a part of the map that's on the far right out in the ocean. Is that an optional place or is that a story place? If it's the latter, how can I get there

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A quest log that just remembers the state of every quest and tells you if it's done would be useful, although it couldn't summarize it without being very confusing.

Gave Thops a key to the Academy. Maybe I should have told him everybody is crazy and the place is full of zombies. Wait, is everybody crazy? Nobody ever comments on how 99% of the world is dead and trying to kill me, so maybe that's just normal? Maybe they're just trying to kill me because I'm in their house? (note to self: does that include the actual zombie-zombies?) Anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Met a fellow locked in a jail cell today. He demanded that I release him, swearing that if I did, he would "kill, and kill again, and defile the bodies so that my curse will pass to their children, and their children's children, for all time." Seems legit! I sent him on his way and asked if he had any errands that needed running.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

You unlock respeccing for beating Rennala (2nd easiest rune bearer)

Oh yeah I did that. But I’d need to make sure I have two respecs available in case I hate magic haha. I should look up a build online, and find some good spells and a staff too. I have no idea how being a wizard works

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I know there's a part of the map that's on the far right out in the ocean. Is that an optional place or is that a story place? If it's the latter, how can I get there

Story, mandatory, you will get teleported

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Barudak posted:

Story, mandatory, you will get teleported

Cool cool.

On a different note, I logged back into the game and walked one room over in the Volcano Manor and there's a snake lady npc here?? Who are you?? Where did you come from???

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Macaluso posted:

Cool cool.

On a different note, I logged back into the game and walked one room over in the Volcano Manor and there's a snake lady npc here?? Who are you?? Where did you come from???

Talk to her and find out.

Also, uh, Selvius just had some dialogue for me that I haven't seen anywhere else so I guess I'll mention it here:
Most places, like the wikis, say after you give his potion to the old guy at the round table he just dies, but he hasn't for me. He's still alive and kicking and, instead, has not only offered to let me buy the other puppet I didn't get for free, but then asked me to find a golden spirit shard that "even demi-gods" would envy. I want this man's hat.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 6, 2022

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I wish the time wouldn’t advance when you die, kinda inconvenient to have to set it to night every time this drat bird kills me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Invade me already pubbies

Also stop crashing

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
my review of Elden Ring:

Dad-a-chum ahead
therefore
Did-a-chick

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also where is pumparum

Where is picklepee

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

17 hours in, just beat Godrick. Found him to be easier than Margit, but maybe I'm just over-leveled or have Gotten Gud?

I noticed afterward that I was losing Runes each time I recovered them after death. The internet tells me it's because that little gatekeeper fucker is stealing them and I have to kill him? Sounds wild, but if true he's a dick.

Game is still rad as hell. I'm currently trying not to get chainsawed by Marionette's and cursing the very existence of dogs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't want to make a huge lore post until i've done some of the other non-Age of Stars endings and at least one super-important NPC questline that i botched completely by letting a nearby enemy aggro on her, but re: "why did Queen Marika have a change of heart:

the Erdtree isn't Queen Marika's legacy, it's her prison, and the Elden Beast is her jailer. at some point she might have been a willing servant of the Greater Will but that time is long past by the time you come into the picture, and possibly even going as far back as the Night of Black Knives. she extracted a promise from Hewg that he would craft a weapon that could slay a God, and she's pretty obviously the mother that Melina alludes to, who created her to burn the Erdtree down against the wishes of the Greater Will. depending on the exact nature of the relationship between her and the Elden Beast, she's either trying to get revenge on it or commit suicide or both

also Ranni looks like Melina's twin, which in conjunction with the whole "Church of the Cuckoo" thing makes me strongly suspect that she's actually Marika's child, and not Rennala's. remember per the sculptor's secret that Radagon and Marika are two aspects of the same person, so all the demigods are technically their children one way or another, but that only her and Radagon's offspring with each other (Miquella and Malenia), plus Ranni are "Empyreans" -- unless Ranni is also their child, in which case it all fits perfectly. it probably has something to do with the rune of rebirth and the amber egg; if so, that would account for Ranni regarding Rennala as her mother regardless of her biological origins

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 6, 2022

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

thread title delivers

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Mistwood/Wolf question: I got the finger snap emote from the merchant, however when I go into the woods the wolf guy is already at the ruins and he’s mad at me. Emoting at him doesn’t do anything, he just tries to kill me. At this point, is anything I can besides just fight him?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What does it mean when sometimes a single enemy will have glowing yellow eyes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Mistwood/Wolf question: I got the finger snap emote from the merchant, however when I go into the woods the wolf guy is already at the ruins and he’s mad at me. Emoting at him doesn’t do anything, he just tries to kill me. At this point, is anything I can besides just fight him?

hard to say if it'll work without knowing what got him mad -- some story event or accidental damage -- but try visiting the Church of Vows and requesting absolution from the statue. you'll need a celestial tear, and it'll reset any NPCs you've accidentally set hostile (although it doesn't seem to apply to everyone, so hopefully Blaidd is on the list)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shear Modulus posted:

What does it mean when sometimes a single enemy will have glowing yellow eyes
they drop like 5x the runes they normally would

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

they drop like 5x the runes they normally would

Ok thanks

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I'm having no luck doing co-op, I can't see any signs with the remedy and using the effigy just says sending sign forever. 3 days now, PS5

I just wanna help

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh hey, there's a little cave on the shore (and a merchant!) with tunnels that lead to that island across the water from right next to the starting area! I discovered this 50 hours into the game! :allears:

Shardix posted:

my review of Elden Ring:

Dad-a-chum ahead
therefore
Did-a-chick

Don't give up, gunslinger!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is there a Snuggly/Sparkly/The Other Trade Birds in this game?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also speaking of crazy lore poo poo whose meaning i can only make an educated guess about

this is what Queen Marika looks like per the portrait in Fia's room. not gonna spoil it since you can see it as soon as you reach the hub area

note the golden light spreading out behind her that at first glance looks like it might be the Erdtree, but is also shaped like insect wings and her single floor-length braid

and this is what Astel, Naturalborn of the Void looks like

note the insect wings and the body-length braid, and the human skull and hands on what is otherwise an unimaginably alien being. note also his similarity to the Elden Beast, except that the Beast has no human features. now consider the implications of Astel's boss weapon being called "the Bastard's Stars"

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 6, 2022

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'd like to know what zone you're talking about.

It seems to be considered a secret area -- the Hallowhorn Grounds in Nokron, Eternal City. The latter half of the area is wide open and full of magic archers that will laser beam you from extremely far distance, and you can't roll dodge it. The area is set up in such a way that you have to strategically use the terrain to block the shots, and the goings-on implore you to comb the entire zone.

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 6, 2022

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh thank goodness, I found a STR based Curved Sword.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I'm having zero luck with summoning other players, have got the "unable to connect" message each and every time. My connection isn't the greatest (playing in SE Asia) but it shouldn't be this bad, I can play other multiplayer games without too many issues.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dang, today was the first day I could play after the last few patches, and getting worse performance now than at launch. Boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the tiny loving window to dodge Godrick's vortexes, I swear to god