Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

frogbs posted:

Holy poo poo, how are you guys leveling up so quickly? Just running through the saem swatchs of enemies in limgrave/Stormveil/Stormveil gate? I feel like I'm leveling super slowly.

wasn't that high but I did a whole lot of exploring in Limgrave and some in Caelid before finishing Stormveil Castle.

Are you in Caelid? There's a big mob of blood skeletons or whatever just down the road of the first site of grace that I go to when I want to farm some runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

frogbs posted:

Holy poo poo, how are you guys leveling up so quickly? Just running through the saem swatchs of enemies in limgrave/Stormveil/Stormveil gate? I feel like I'm leveling super slowly.

You really don't need to farm enemies for runes in this game. I'm like 2/3rds to 3/4ths through atm and level 109 just from the souls I get from boss drops and whatnot. Although naturally I've been running all over the place and killing loads of side bosses etc too, not just the main story stuff.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
What the gently caress is wrong with the sewers under Leyndell? I almost had a panic attack from, well, everything down there. Jesus Christ this game is massive and horrifying, maybe moreso than Bloodborne.

Speaking of, two things:

I reached uhhh the bottom and followed some messages, and the three fingers touched me and now Melina is hella pissed and threatened to take away Torrent. Did I just screw myself out of Content? The red map marker in the forbidden lands, which I have not ventured into, is now gone.

And I returned to Roundtable Hold hoping I had done something for Dung Eater but no go. Do I have to go back there?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

You can access quite literally something like 3/4ths of the world map from the world go. Try the souther island instead of soldiering onimgrave

I'd wager a bit more than 3/4ths. The only areas really locked off are Nokron, the capital city, and the like...two? Three? areas gated behind the city all of which are pretty small compared to the big three main areas and while it doesn't seem like bosses give that many runes, with how easy a lot of dungeons are to blast through, and how often you find fog gates in random rear end ruins; the runes pile up and it's not uncommon to just wind up with tens of thousands of runes just exploring. The other night I just accidentally lost over a hundred thousand trying to platform my way down to the beach in eastern caelid because I thought I only had ten thousand. I know you get there normally after the redman boss fight, but I wanted to see if I could get there early.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Nevermind I figured it out. :stare:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

This game is great.

I start climbing a ladder at the end of ravine, sand after many more ladders I fight a maga wyrm or some poo poo, ride an elevator to the top of some cliffs, then I find a path that goes up more ladders and mountains and after scaling everest I end up fighting a rock beast in a volcano caldera. Exploration in this game is so rewarding because it's always something interesting

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

AndrewP posted:

wasn't that high but I did a whole lot of exploring in Limgrave and some in Caelid before finishing Stormveil Castle.

Are you in Caelid? There's a big mob of blood skeletons or whatever just down the road of the first site of grace that I go to when I want to farm some runes.

If you go to the south part of Caelid you can get those awful velociraptor dogs to chase you into a bunch of soldiers and then park on the sidelines and watch them go at it for a few thousand runes. :munch:

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure my route through the game is extremeely unoptimizd and basic. About how long does it take a normal person to get to respec? I have the mat already.

Right now I'm thinking a paladin style build, I'm all over the place right now with stats and to the other new players reading this, spreading your stats out will catch up to you sooner than latter. A vet can correct me or maybe it comes back around but goddamn.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

If you go to the south part of Caelid you can get those awful velociraptor dogs to chase you into a bunch of soldiers and then park on the sidelines and watch them go at it for a few thousand runes. :munch:

Any chance you have a clip? Is it just one sentery to look out for?

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 6, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Huh, there's more to the sewers? I found that one ladder that led to a fire breathing guy in a window, didn't see anything else after I killed him and moved on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

f#a# posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the sewers under Leyndell? I almost had a panic attack from, well, everything down there. Jesus Christ this game is massive and horrifying, maybe moreso than Bloodborne.

Speaking of, two things:

I reached uhhh the bottom and followed some messages, and the three fingers touched me and now Melina is hella pissed and threatened to take away Torrent. Did I just screw myself out of Content? The red map marker in the forbidden lands, which I have not ventured into, is now gone.

And I returned to Roundtable Hold hoping I had done something for Dung Eater but no go. Do I have to go back there?

You are, now, iirc locked into the frenzy ending. You still need to go to the fire and get it, I think.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

96 spacejam posted:

I'm pretty sure my route through the game is extremeely unoptimizd and basic. About how long does it take a normal person to get to respec? I have the mat already.

Right now I'm thinking a paladin style build, I'm all over the place right now with stats and to the other new players reading this, spreading your stats out will catch up to you sooner than latter. A vet can correct me or maybe it comes back around but goddamn.

Before my liquid cooling’s pump died I’d just unlock respeccing about 40 hours in. If you knew where it was I imagine you could do it in just a few.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

DeathChicken posted:

Huh, there's more to the sewers? I found that one ladder that led to a fire breathing guy in a window, didn't see anything else after I killed him and moved on

That's not the sewers, that's just a canal. You'll know when you're in the sewers; look for a well.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Then I'm missing something because I got lost forever and only found what I mentioned. Any hints?

Hmm, I'm frankly not sure if we used the same sewer as I didn't find a catacomb there. Did you enter the Subterranean Shunning Grounds? If so, keep pressing on. You need to find a lift down.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Before my liquid cooling’s pump died I’d just unlock respeccing about 40 hours in. If you knew where it was I imagine you could do it in just a few.

I need to have triggered an event right? It's more than the tear?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

I need to have triggered an event right? It's more than the tear?

You need to beat Rennala. She charges 1 limited use item per change, but you can get like 10 of them in a run so its no biggie

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

You need to beat Rennala. She charges 1 limited use item per change, but you can get like 10 of them in a run so its no biggie

Oh hell yeah literally every guide I've scanned since launch mentions a finite or at least a very rare chance to do so after the first few times

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

Barudak posted:

You are, now, iirc locked into the frenzy ending. You still need to go to the fire and get it, I think.

not thrilled about needing to do the Ranni quest again then, especially seeing as this was my magic character. Oh well, better than heading into that god-forsaken zone ever again!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So after ignoring ER for a week, I started it up tonight and tried to make some actual progress. I've made it up to the first (?) boss, Margit. I can handle the first half of the fight pretty well, by keeping at a distance, and baiting out the leap attacks and punishing. However, the second half (or second third?) is what I'm having trouble with. Margit gets way more intense with the number close range attacks, and I can't seem to dodge them all. I've only gotten him down to a quarter of a health bar once, with most other attempts fizzling out after hitting half-health.

Could it be that I'm too low level? Here's my current stats:

code:
Level 18
Vigor - 13
Mind - 12
Endurance - 14
Strength - 14
Dexterity - 16
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 8
Arcane - 10
I'm using the starting Scimitars, both upgraded to +1, and I think my issue is that I'm not doing enough damage. I found the Halberd, and upgraded it to +1, but Margit seems to be more resistant to piercing attacks. I don't know where to look for more Smithing Stones, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Noting that ballista bolt ammo is expensive enough that several boss fights I’m summoned for are rune neutral.

Hunt boars and make bone ballista bolts?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What stat should I focus on for hoarfrost stomp? Or is it just pure weapon level?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m at 60 hours and still haven’t gone to the Altus Plateau yet lmao.
Ranni’s sidequest: The long journey underground is just incredible. You just keep going down deeper and deeper, every time you think you’ve seen the whole thing the game shifts the goalposts again and you descend even farther down. It has a very strong SoTN feel

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Interesting Q: Would anything stop you from running straight to the Clitstone Dragon, getting the key, entering Raya Lucaria and whupping Rennala? It seems like the biggest challenge would be Redmane.

Don't ask me what a new character needs a respec for, but it seems very doable.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra
I don't really post, or even lurk that much anymore. It's drat comforting to just throw "LLJK" and "lljk" into the group password without even reading this thread and seeing tons of goon deaths and messages highlighted.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

So after ignoring ER for a week, I started it up tonight and tried to make some actual progress. I've made it up to the first (?) boss, Margit. I can handle the first half of the fight pretty well, by keeping at a distance, and baiting out the leap attacks and punishing. However, the second half (or second third?) is what I'm having trouble with. Margit gets way more intense with the number close range attacks, and I can't seem to dodge them all. I've only gotten him down to a quarter of a health bar once, with most other attempts fizzling out after hitting half-health.

code:
Level 18
Vigor - 13
Mind - 12
Endurance - 14
Strength - 14
Dexterity - 16
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 8
Arcane - 10
I'm using the starting Scimitars, both upgraded to +1, and I think my issue is that I'm not doing enough damage. I found the Halberd, and upgraded it to +1, but Margit seems to be more resistant to piercing attacks. I don't know where to look for more Smithing Stones, though.

A +2 or +3 weapon would serve you very well for that fight. Try poking around the south part of the map.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

Oh hell yeah literally every guide I've scanned since launch mentions a finite or at least a very rare chance to do so after the first few times

Note when I say a run I mean per entire game run, theres not a grinding zone or something for them.

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Interesting Q: Would anything stop you from running straight to the Clitstone Dragon, getting the key, entering Raya Lucaria and whupping Rennala? It seems like the biggest challenge would be Redmane.

Don't ask me what a new character needs a respec for, but it seems very doable.

The Red Dog was my first achievement boss killed, so no, nothing stops you

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Max Wilco posted:

code:
Level 18
Vigor - 13
Mind - 12
Endurance - 14
Strength - 14
Dexterity - 16
Intelligence - 10
Faith - 8
Arcane - 10

There's a ton of +1 stones in a cave full of miners NW(?) of Agheel Lake. But you need blunt weapons or magic to kill the miners. Slashing is no bueno.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

There's a ton of +1 stones in a cave full of miners NW(?) of Agheel Lake. But you need blunt weapons or magic to kill the miners. Slashing is no bueno.

Jump attacks work fine, and depending on poise damage ~3 will pit them into a front stab state

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

frogbs posted:

As people have stated you can go all over the place and do stuff as you please. The accessible part of the map is probably 8 times bigger than you think it is, but 58 is ridiculously high for stormveil castle imo. I did it at 25 and felt properly leveled until the end boss who I came back to at 35.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be honest if you're playing melee the most important thing for the first four bosses is your weapon's level. A +6 weapon is like 20 or more levels of damage in raw stats. You can obliterate Godrick and Rennalas dungeons and fights if you have more than that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah weapon level is the basis on which I've been tackling things. Margit seems about right at +4 and Godrick +7. I think I did renetta at +10 or something and they all felt like I was in the intended range.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
jesus loving christ this disappearing enemies bug is completely loving unacceptable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I forgot about upgrading weapons and did Margit raw but also I had a meteorite staff lol

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Barudak posted:

You can prevent that ending by doing Millicent's quest and completing a bunch of late-game stuff for Miquella's needle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Pants posted:

You can prevent that ending by doing Millicent's quest and completing a bunch of late-game stuff for Miquella's needle.

Is that what that quest does? It just petered out for me

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Please, Elden Ring, I beg you, please stop introducing new areas. Please. Please!! There's so much!!!!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Barudak posted:

Note when I say a run I mean per entire game run, theres not a grinding zone or something for them.

You can farm larval tears in the underground cities. They're a normal drop from those stupid sentient boulders. Both in your game, and other people's games. I have like 15 of them now from helping my friends through the cities.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

How do I get the underground quest to work? I have given the witch the blade, is it too late to check out her quest?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Artelier posted:

Please, Elden Ring, I beg you, please stop introducing new areas. Please. Please!! There's so much!!!!

Turns out that the game was originally called 'Elder Ring' because you're going to be in your god drat 80s by the time you finish it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Shardix posted:

my review of Elden Ring:

Dad-a-chum ahead
therefore
Did-a-chick

Lmao 2 fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Just unlocked respec and went all in on faith to use the holy lightsaber fists and they do a hell of a lot of damage. Made it to Altus via the coward's path, which is an extremely good soul farming area. The stronger enemies there are guaranteed to drop rune items. I was collecting 5k+ runes as a summon, every run, without fighting the boss :allears:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 6, 2022