Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah I'm using Kentie's launcher, just switched to software rendering and it works. However I get some z-buffering issues (see screenshots)

The faces look much better, they're like pixelart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You can modify one of the shader files to do it

barbecue at the folks posted:

How do you pull this off? I tried googling and poking around in the .ini files, but didn't find a switch that would do what I want. I'm on the Steam GOTY version, that seems to have different internals than the GOG one, though.

edit: Figured it out! After installing Kentie's D3D 10 renderer (http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/), go to Deus Ex/System/d3d10drv and open up unrealpool.fxh in editor of your choice. Comment out the last if statement so it looks like this

code:
//if(flags&PF_NoSmooth)
{
diffuse = diffusePoint;
}
and enjoy your new HD graphics by Lego™.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I'm shilling my bullshit texture upscale pack since we're on the subject again:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/crispy-deus-ex

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I got a texture pack installed but it doesn't touch the character textures, just signs, crates, material etc.

The Deus Ex textures were done by Kenneth Scott I think - the same dude who did the texturework for Quake 3, Daikatana and Deus Ex.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3Nmzw

It's got a distinct style

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's also an option to disable texture filtering on the openGL renderer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What was the deal with UNATCO troopers having black eyes? They're not augmented or anything.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

dilated pupils. side-effect of uppers of some kind, very common in active duty military and security guards.

(yeah i don't know)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Any mods that give them normal eyes look loving weird. Funny how the brain works.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

infernal machines posted:

You can modify one of the shader files to do it

I did it and now it works perfectly:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What a shame

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

What was the deal with UNATCO troopers having black eyes? They're not augmented or anything.

Apparently the PS2 version of Deus Ex "fixed" the eyes?

The theory is that the original (PC) black eyes were a mistake or graphical error. Quite iconic nowadays though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vic posted:

I did it and now it works perfectly:

I love the look for this game, IMO it fits the aesthetic perfectly.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

infernal machines posted:

I love the look for this game, IMO it fits the aesthetic perfectly.

It really feels like all the graphics were designed with that look in mind and the smudgey period-appropriate filtering was forced in before release. The funny thing is that everyone commented on Deus Ex's middling looks already in 2001 and would've probably panned the entire game if that filtering option was default back then. 20 years later it looks amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anachronox Ex

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have any experience of making single player Deus Ex levels? Or know of any tutorials out there? I've been playing through Revision and absolutely loving it and although I haven't finished it yet I am already craving more

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Which part are you looking to learn? I haven't mapped for DX, but the engine is the original Unreal engine and iirc vanilla Unrealed can open and edit DX maps. UE1 is super easy to pick up and learn in most regards. If you already know UE1 and are looking for advice on where DX keeps all its important actors though, I dunno.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I was very disappointed to discover that VorpX absolutely will not hook Unreal Engine using Kentie's DX10 renderer, you can get it to work with OpenGL, but it can't do 3D reconstruction, so it's not the same.

I really wanted some blocky-rear end VR.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Donut posted:

Does anyone have any experience of making single player Deus Ex levels? Or know of any tutorials out there? I've been playing through Revision and absolutely loving it and although I haven't finished it yet I am already craving more

I hosed around with it briefly when DX came out. UnrealEd is pretty easy to use compared to most 3D editors, although I have no knowledge of more recent ones. As with just about every game of this type, the real challenge isn't making a level, but making the level look good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I made some stuff way back, it is pretty easy as editors go. I just jumped in and hosed around and don't remember running into many problems.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Isn't UE1 the engine where you "carve" geometry out of a solid block of environment instead of building it into an empty void? I think that struck me as so baffling weird in 2003 or whatever that I gave up and went back to making my nothing in RPG Maker instead.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Here's a wacky thought... if you're serious about making Deus Ex levels, try to find a copy of the special edition of Unreal Tournament 2004. It came with a bonus DVD containing a several hour long, professionally made video tutorial on UnRealed.

Captain Walker posted:

Isn't UE1 the engine where you "carve" geometry out of a solid block of environment instead of building it into an empty void? I think that struck me as so baffling weird in 2003 or whatever that I gave up and went back to making my nothing in RPG Maker instead.

Correct, and it works quite well. For one thing, there's no chance of holes in the geometry.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

UnrealEd2 should also work with DX, fwiw. I remember using it back in the day to make some DXMP maps.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Captain Walker posted:

Yeah I didn't like it when I tried it years ago but that's because I was more used to Worldcraft / VHE

I've found this which seems to be what I'm after in case anyone is interested; http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10464

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Walker posted:

It is, yes. It uses CSG, constructive solid geometry, instead of BSP.

It's a little bit of a learning curve but I genuinely prefer it. However, if it's troubling to learn you can always subtract a huge cube and then add into it as you build, though that is less efficient and more likely to make errors over time.

I don't know of any great resources that are tutorials from that age; I still remember a lot of it so I can answer questions, maybe. There's a wiki that has some info to help get you started at least: https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:UnrealEd_2 This is for the Unreal Tournament 99 editor which is functionally identical to the DX version of the editor.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
To be fair Deus Ex is one of the few games I'd be willing to learn the tools for. The guy who made the popular Shifter mod stuck with it until 2010.

His next project was a similar patch for New Vegas.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Apparently the PS2 version of Deus Ex "fixed" the eyes?

The theory is that the original (PC) black eyes were a mistake or graphical error. Quite iconic nowadays though.

The PS2 version eyes are actually 3D polygons rather than just an animated texture. While the textures are predictably much worse than the PC version, the models and animations in the PS2 version are a lot better.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

The Donut posted:

Yeah I didn't like it when I tried it years ago but that's because I was more used to Worldcraft / VHE

I've found this which seems to be what I'm after in case anyone is interested; http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10464

Just FYI, the download links here didn't work, but I found this which has a link to a Discord with a huge amount of modding info and resources, pretty cool - https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/il4b34/deus_ex_sdk/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hbomberguy has a new video out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJazjz9ZsA

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Consider before watching, one could watch a Three and a half hour nothing of a video, or one could just play Deus Ex for three hours

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not having watched this yet I already agree with e stated premise. 3rd best game in the series, but miles ahead of IW. HBomberGuy isn’t super consistent with time between videos but they’re always good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The burn of calling something third best in a series with only four entries -_-

It is fine, as is MankDiv, they just each have big holes in certain areas. It's not as if the classic didn't have the swimming skill either.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Consider before watching, one could watch a Three and a half hour nothing of a video, or one could just play Deus Ex for three hours

i only have 3 hours left to live so this helps, thanks

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Human Revolution, Mankind Divided, and the original, are all about on par with one another. With I War only slightly behind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chaosapiant posted:

I think Human Revolution, Mankind Divided, and the original, are all about on par with one another. With I War only slightly behind.

Playing now, yes, those three are on par.

In 2000, DX was a big ol shot of “holy loving Christ games can do this?!?” And HR didn’t surprise like that.

Fun fact, the release of HR is closer to the original DX than it is to now. :rip:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Playing now, yes, those three are on par.

In 2000, DX was a big ol shot of “holy loving Christ games can do this?!?” And HR didn’t surprise like that.

Fun fact, the release of HR is closer to the original DX than it is to now. :rip:

Yeah, watching the video I was surprised at how sorta ugly it looked in places. The faces specifically are uhhh not quite as hi def as I recall them in my memory

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda felt the video was extremely rosy to the original DX in a weird way- like, Hbomb can talk about how it isn't an FPS all he wants, but if you're a bionically augmented super agent and even your starting pistol has a spread that would make even a novice shooter blush, i think it's not an unreasonable choice to actually, you know, make the guns hit where you aim with them. It's not some betrayal. When a player has FPS controls, IMO, it's not unreasonable to, y'know, expect your weapons to have some level of accuracy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I learned to not give a poo poo, if the game is good, and HR is good, I'll have a great time with it. But when I first played it I was incredibly disappointed. I was imagining Deus Ex with a bigger budget therefore more complex, detailed and polished.

Instead I got a deus ex flavored game. Almost every aspect of the original was poorly translated imo. People talk a lot about shooting being bad in original, but it really was just gated behind skill points. It was risky. In HR/MD it's always right there as the easiest option. And as Hbombr correctly points out, there's no downside to it.

The hub in MD was a step toward what I wanted.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think Deus Ex, like Morrowind, underestimated how important it was for combat to feel good in a proper first person game. You can't get away with horrible combat at low skill levels because the player actually feels the combat unlike in older RPG formats. I definitely don't see a downside to making combat feel good from the very start personally. The alternative is just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phigs posted:

I think Deus Ex, like Morrowind, underestimated how important it was for combat to feel good in a proper first person game. You can't get away with horrible combat at low skill levels because the player actually feels the combat unlike in older RPG formats. I definitely don't see a downside to making combat feel good from the very start personally. The alternative is just not worth it.

Yeah, if your Liberty Island is just a bag of frustration that you can't hit the broad side of a barn with your gun in an FPS game, you're gonna put the game away. You can invest skill points into being a good shoot man, but the controls are the shoot man controls. You're given fine mouse precision aiming in your control scheme.

It would be like if you had an agility stat, and you randomly tripped if you tried to change direction quickly or strafe ran if you didn't have enough of it.