Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Disappointing lack of a flared base.

E: 20 is the amount of aeons my soul will be flayed for this shameful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The perfect page starter

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/05/light-or-blight-anger-rises-at-plan-for-britains-biggest-solar-farm

The deputy council leader.

Richard Rout posted:

We must put the planet first - its future really is hanging by a thread

Richard Rout posted:

We recognise that renewable energy is a key part of delivering energy security but it can’t come at any cost or to the detriment of Suffolk or the environment.

Local campaigners.

Campaigners posted:

Campaigners say the Sunnica energy farm, which will span several villages in Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, will change the unique character of a vast area of countryside shaped by farming and horseracing.

https://www.saynotosunnica.com/ posted:

The Say No to Sunnica action group is not against solar, we are not 'NIMBY's' (Not in My Back Yard) but do not agree with losing our entire back yard to a scheme that is simply too large and too intrusive.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's very strong "Not a racist but..." energy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marmaduke! posted:

That's very strong "Not a racist but..." energy

I'm not sure how completely oblivious you have to be to literally say "We're not NIMBYs, but not in our back yard", but they somehow managed it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Massive agricultural use change before I was born: probably always there

Massive agricultural use change during my youth: exciting

Massive agricultural use change after I have become sessile: terrible

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
What kind of loving idiot tries to build large-scale solar on an island notable for a) being closer to the arctic circle than the equator, so the sun only gets above 45 degrees for a few hours even in summer and only being above the horizon for less than 8 hours in winter, when electric demand is highest, and b) having total overcast almost 50% of the time?

This has to be some sort of grab for subsidies or a Producers-style "Can't possibly make a profit" investor scam.

e: Met Office says East Anglia gets 57 hours of sunshine in January. *Has* to be a scam, there's literally no way they can make money on this.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 6, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What kind of loving idiot tries to build large-scale solar on an island notable for a) being closer to the arctic circle than the equator, so the sun only gets above 45 degrees for a few hours even in summer and only being above the horizon for less than 8 hours in winter, when electric demand is highest, and b) having total overcast almost 50% of the time?

This has to be some sort of grab for subsidies or a Producers-style "Can't possibly make a profit" investor scam.

I’m all for sustainable energy but yes, I wouldn’t have thought that the UK was ideal for large-scale solar

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Solar works just fine in the UK. It runs off light, not heat and actually gets less efficient in higher temperatures. I don't know how big of a deal overcast weather is - i assume it can't be ideal but it's made up at least somewhat by preventing them getting too hot

e: there's an insane amount of energy still in overcast daylight. Imagine the light setup you would need to use to light a football stadium with artificial light in a way that looks like an overcast day

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 6, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My only arguement would be that solar probably makes more sense as roof installations rather than giving over dedicated land.

Solar right now is achieving 7% of our electricity generation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah modern PV panels are fine in indirect light, it's solar thermal that wouldn't work at all in the UK.

If we take the residents' concerns at face value though, the best option would be small modular reactors and rewilding the surrounding buffer land.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's almost certainly also a scam, to be fair

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

Solar works just fine in the UK. It runs off light, not heat and actually gets less efficient in higher temperatures. I don't know how big of a deal overcast weather is - i assume it can't be ideal but it's made up at least somewhat by preventing them getting too hot

e: there's an insane amount of energy still in overcast daylight. Imagine the light setup you would need to use to light a football stadium with artificial light in a way that looks like an overcast day

I'm aware of that, but no matter how good the panels are, they can't generate anything if the sun's literally below the horizon like it is for >70% of the time in winter this far from the equator. It also suffers from the same winter high problem as wind - the coldest days (and hence highest demand for electricity) in the British Isles are when a high pressure system stalls over us resulting in extremely thick overcast and absolutely no wind, a situation that can last for up to a week.

There's no advantage in going for PV solar over wind power *anywhere* in the British Isles because the only locations that do get higher-than-average clear or partial-overcast days (basically the east coast and the south-west peninsula) also get extremely reliable winds (and like I say, days they don't tend to be either in summer, when demand is much lower, or in a winter high, when PV is massively less efficient). We need to be working on decarbonising the power sources we need to fill in those gaps, with nuclear, hydroelectric, and geothermal where appropriate (pretty much Cornwall and bits of Northumbria and Scotland), and massively improving grid storage (pumped hydro and other gravity storage, not massive banks of lithium batteries, gently caress off out of here Tesla).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We have a lot of wind and a lot of sea so surely all renewables investment should purely focus on turbines and tidal generation? Solar seems inefficient here, like is it even worthwhile getting domestic solar panels installed if the government aren't subsidising/paying the cost?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just to give you an idea of what’s coming down the line - a tank of heating oil here in NI that cost us 250 last year cost us 440 last week and has now gone up to 630

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how completely oblivious you have to be to literally say "We're not NIMBYs, but not in our back yard", but they somehow managed it.

The contrast is even better given they spell out the acronym

"We're not NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard), but not in our back yard"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

We have a lot of wind and a lot of sea so surely all renewables investment should purely focus on turbines and tidal generation? Solar seems inefficient here, like is it even worthwhile getting domestic solar panels installed if the government aren't subsidising/paying the cost?

Not until recently but the calculation might have changed now that energy prices are fully insane.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Tidal seems to be permanently beset by problems. There's a hub off Cornwall that they've been trying to hook stuff to for a decade and it's still not generating anything afaik.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Tidal seems to be permanently beset by problems. There's a hub off Cornwall that they've been trying to hook stuff to for a decade and it's still not generating anything afaik.

It's not without irony that two of the most productive environments for energy production — the sea and the deserts — are some of the most difficult environments to build long-lasting infrastructure. The sea especially is a very hard place to build moving things that need to be mechanically robust.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Where’s the Manhattan Project for renewables?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Large-scale tidal is probably dead. I mean you can understand the appeal when you're looking at millions of tons of water moving at speed in a completely predictable way but once you actually try and extract that energy you end up with everything covered in barnacles and also massive environmental impact (including silting up of the barrages) because you're loving up those flows.

Wave power *might* be more practical, especially the schemes that keep the actual generating kit out of the water (the combination tidal-defence schemes, that use a reinforced concrete box with a wind turbine mounted horizontally in the top that gets moved by the air movement caused by waves coming in and out, are particularly efficient and easy to maintain), but you quickly run into the same problem of them being reliant on wind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tidal power is basically lunar power

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

My parents have them and say it was an insanely good investment, and they have gotten much better since.

They charge their hybrid car with it, can literally drive for free. It runs things like dishwasher, washing machine, electric oven, anything like that they can choose to run during the day. It charges batteries, I don't know how much they run off them, but they work at night too.

They turned to profit just selling excess back to the grid after 10 years or something, but the savings on fuel and other stuff must have added up way before that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't know how much they run off them, but they work at night too.

:raise:

Even a full moon gives considerably less than 1 lux of illumination, you'd need a football pitch of PV panels to even charge a phone. In practice internal resistance means PV panels just don't produce any power at all at such low levels.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

They charge the batteries during the day, and the batteries last for some stuff during the night. Not the panels

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

jiggerypokery posted:

My parents have them and say it was an insanely good investment, and they have gotten much better since.

They charge their hybrid car with it, can literally drive for free. It runs things like dishwasher, washing machine, electric oven, anything like that they can choose to run during the day. It charges batteries, I don't know how much they run off them, but they work at night too.

They turned to profit just selling excess back to the grid after 10 years or something, but the savings on fuel and other stuff must have added up way before that

Friend of mine is the same. He was showing me the stats last week and he was generating 6kw of power per hour during the day from his panels which was going to his batteries and his car.

They are going for days not drawing anything from the grid

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:raise:

Even a full moon gives considerably less than 1 lux of illumination, you'd need a football pitch of PV panels to even charge a phone. In practice internal resistance means PV panels just don't produce any power at all at such low levels.

You've staked a big claim here on "PV panels don't work in Northern Europe" but this reply is pretty thin, bordering on the obtuse

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I'm in Australia now but trying to persuade my mum to install panels in Yorkshire. My solar array here with a battery (in one of the less sunny parts of Australia) could power probably 4 or 5 houses and I've forgotten what a power bill is. Would produce less in the UK but still significant.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'd have thought that solar plants would be a good idea even if not economical because eggs/baskets

The problem with renewables is consistency & storage, & sunny-but-still days exist, so having some solar as well as wind should reduce our dependency on fossils, no?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

You've staked a big claim here on "PV panels don't work in Northern Europe" but this reply is pretty thin, bordering on the obtuse

They extremely sloppily phrased their post, making the apparent claim their parents solar panels worked at night, and then clarified it.

Also I've not claimed they *don't* work, just the work they do is pointless because their highest output almost by definition comes at the times when demand is lowest and vice versa, and as we have a finite amount of space and resources to devote to decarbonising the economy that *large scale* projects should concentrate on power sources that work much better in our conditions and in ways of filling in the gaps left by those conditions.

If someone wants to install PV on their roof and it works for them fair play to them. It's still no more of a solution to the energy problems of the country as a whole than a rain butt is a solution to drought.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You know black coffee and Southern Comfort go well together.

And I am surprised the west coast of Ireland isnt covered in wind turbines, there are places where the trees point in the same horizontal direction due to the near constant wind.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 6, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

I'd have thought that solar plants would be a good idea even if not economical because eggs/baskets

The problem with renewables is consistency & storage, & sunny-but-still days exist, so having some solar as well as wind should reduce our dependency on fossils, no?

It'd be better to expend money and energy on things that are either completely consistent (nukes, geothermal) or inconsistent but on an opposite cycle to wind (hydro), and most of all on grid-scale storage (pumped hydro, etc). Like we *could* replace every single road vehicle in the country with hybrids and BEVs and make a massive dent in our carbon emissions, but that money would be much, much better spent on electric trains and buses for a much bigger drop in both direct emissions and also the emissions involved in creating the vehicles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

And I am surprised the east coast of Ireland isnt covered in wind turbines, there are places where the trees point in the same horizontal direction due to the near constant wind.
Plus you could run them all in reverse and move the whole island to the Caribbean.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally free power that falls from the sky, you're leaving money on the table to spite the hippies

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
It's raining solar panels now?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's no advantage in going for PV solar over wind power *anywhere* in the British Isles because the only locations that do get higher-than-average clear or partial-overcast days (basically the east coast and the south-west peninsula) also get extremely reliable winds (and like I say, days they don't tend to be either in summer, when demand is much lower, or in a winter high, when PV is massively less efficient).

This is ignoring that there are huge parts of the UK that cannot host wind turbines, for a variety of reasons (too close to houses, too close to airfields, etc). Solar is an alternative in those areas, even if it isn’t as efficient as in other areas of the world, because the alternative in those places is nothing.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'd love solar panels but I'm put off by both the upfront cost and my neighbour's complete inability to control their leylandii. Apparently one of the previous residents on the street used to wait until they'd gone on holiday and take a chainsaw to the trees.

The Surrey solar farms seems weird but as far as domestic use goes, it's the only renewable source available. I would love to see as many houses as possible get solar panels, because we're only getting more dependent on electricity. Especialy as summers get hotter, in a couple of years we're going to start seeing more demand for domestic air conditioning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a few fields full of solar panels just off the A171 south of boro, been there quite a while though you can barely see them cos the road has trees on the side and there's no other roads or houses on the other side. Noticed them a few times when you drive past in winter you can see snippets of the through the trees.

Dunno how much they generate but they're quite big, probably a couple of square miles of them I would guess.

E: looking it up apparently they generate about 5MW Which is "enough to power 1300 homes" but were proposed shortly after they were going to build five wind turbines (presumably on the ridgeline northeast of roseberry topping, which is just scrubland at the moment) and those would have "powered 10000 homes" but they were blocked because of MUH HOUSE PRICES lmao.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/plans-guisborough-solar-farm-could-8953463

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26047106

E: wait no apparently they were literally going to put the turbines where the solar panels are now, on the other side of the bypass road from the town, which makes sense cos you'd probably get shadow flicker if you put them on the ridgeline.

https://www.banksgroup.co.uk/2013/07/25/proposed-guisborough-wind-farm-plans-updated/

Maybe they were going to be a bit further north? Ther's a wide sort of shallow valley on that side of the road that leads up to a hill, you can barely see it from anywhere as far as I know cos of how the land slopes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 6, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Trees grow in the UK, we could just use them for solar power and burn them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Consider the following: a huge dish that catches rainwater and funnels it into a turbine

what could go wrong