Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: Very expressive!

Ayashimon: Speedy boi runs over gutsy boi repeatedly. Looks like our boy is just getting started though!

Blue Box: People have been posting pages from this manga and they seem interesting, might give this a read.

Elusive Samurai: What the gently caress?????

Mashle: Chapter.

Roboco: The ending feels a bit abrupt and without a proper punchline, but the rest of the chapter was hella enjoyable, as expected of an industry-tangent chapter. I love Shueisha chapters in Roboco.

Sakamoto: drat poo poo's getting wild!!!!! Poor pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Ayashimon "I'm fine. This isn't the first time I got hit by a car." That line made me laugh. Maruo is such an idiot. I wonder if the other demon is going to do something as well. Maybe some dumb epiphany about how the floor is a ceiling if you stand upside down.

Earth child: I'm in for the next chapter by virtue of having absolutely no idea what this manga is working towards or what kind of story it's trying to be. It's going to be fascinating.
For now, this appears to be a story about a man continually getting his mind wiped, except that it doesn't take because love.

Sakamoto: Lol at those pilots.

Mash: I see Rock Lee isn't the only one he can mirror. He can also do Naruto's Talk no Jutsu.

Shugomaru: It looks dumb, but honestly it's really quite funny.

Doron: Doron is seriously good. The characters are cool and bounce off each other nicely. All of them are unique and we have a new goal. It's amazing how this started like Ayashi, but it's really managed to make it's own identity. This chapter gave me a bunch of laughs.

Elusive: :gonk:

Witch Watch: That ending was great.

Undead Unluck: Whenever Andy is doing things Solo I always wonder what all the other fun and good characters are doing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Every character in Doron has been a slam dunk so far. I feel like it really has legs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I never did finish Soul Eater.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, you can stop after Maka vs Arachne for whatever it's worth. It all sorts of go straight to hell right around there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really, you can stop after Maka vs Arachne for whatever it's worth. It all sorts of go straight to hell right around there.

Ehh I enjoyed the stuff after.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the soul eater manga suffered fro ma serious case of not fleshing out plot points

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno there was some fun stuff later.

And Medusa's last meal was some all-timer shonen villainy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Happy about a Gash Bell sequel. In addition to great humor, I also like how the Gash Bell protagonist (or I guess one of the two, the human guy) actually has a distinct personality that is fairly unique for a protagonist.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Akane-Banashi is good so far. Some pretty funny dialogue ("I am being exceedingly normal").

Is the three-tiered exam system for rakugoka a thing in real life? The idea fits shonen manga conventions a little too well. I haven't found a clear explanation of them online from a casual search, although this article (which I think is a Japanese Wikipedia article translated by a neural net-type thingy) mentions examinations of some sort for rakugoka existing, or at least having existed a few decades ago.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Roboco: I usually like the chapters focusing on the aspects of being a mangaka, but putting both a Rurouni Kenshin and (what I assume to be) Ghost Plagiarist references in the same chapter had me cringing.

Earthchild: So the government knew the mother was alive in some form, yet their first option was to forcibly erase the guy's memories and kidnap his kid. Not to mention the only reason they changed tack was because the baby almost murdered them. This editor is absolute dogshit and needs to be fired.

High School Family: Somehow manages to have a more compelling love triangle than Blue Box.

Doron Dororon: The two new characters introduced are fun additions to the cast but I hope Ginchiyo comes back soon. Having the characters bounce off each other is what this series needs to make it shine.

Akane-Banashi: Really drat solid chapter. The expressive faces and body language really help sell the performance. It's only been three chapters and I already wish for more.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Earthchild: So the government knew the mother was alive in some form, yet their first option was to forcibly erase the guy's memories and kidnap his kid. Not to mention the only reason they changed tack was because the baby almost murdered them. This editor is absolute dogshit and needs to be fired.

Oh yeah that reminds me. Our "hero", the (supposed) widower father, also doesn't give what for to the suits for that horseshit. It was all shake hands and make nice.

:barf:

Maybe it's just my unga-bunga voilence craving western twat brain but, given a rough copy of those particulars, my psycic baby going full Tetsuo would be the prefable of the two deaths they'd have the chance of experiencing that night.

The editor, Taguchi, clearly has some sort of in with HR cause he's absolute pants at his job.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 3, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me. Our "hero", the (supposed) widower father, also doesn't give what for to the suits for that horseshit. It was all shake hands and make nice.

:barf:

Maybe it's just my unga-bunga voilence craving western twat brain but, given a rough copy of those particulars, my psycic baby going full Tetsuo would be the prefable of the two deaths they'd have the chance of experiencing that night.

The editor, Taguchi, clearly has some sort of in with HR cause he's absolute pants at his job.

I'm still not sure even if that guy is supposed to be the hero of the story. It's such a weird story so far.
And to be fair to him, they did suddenly bomb drop that he can see his dead wife again. I'd imagine he'd be dumb struck by that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yes, that's is fair. He's the, at present, Protagonist.

Hero is reserved for those who'd deck the suits, vague maybe words about their dead wife be damned.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yes, that's is fair. He's the, at present, Protagonist.

Hero is reserved for those who'd deck the suits, vague maybe words about their dead wife be damned.

That's...pretty true even without the cynicism. So far, the story is happening to him.

It's a busy Tuesday. New monster nr8, new Twin stars, new Show ha Shoten and New Takopi sin

Show ha shoten is really good and entertaining btw. You should read it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1499414437719072784?t=ndm2AwE5ccYbTSrDkpf5ag&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
guessing that means its doing really well and can make it go longer. hopefully its not going to drag it out as a result

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle gonna resolve the main plot and then spend the rest of it's runtime being Danberu.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mashle endgame is the last 4 minutes of Kung Fu Hustle but everyone's also a wizard.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Honestly, halfway sounds about right? Especially if this "halfway" ultimately ends up being "a third".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
That sounds like anime adaptation announcement stuff, or they're thinking a lot of stuff is getting axed here in a bit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New Twin Star Exorcists is up on the app. Yet another “shocking” revelation. It’s better than the chapters about minor characters killing each other, at least.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1499297391991742464?s=20&t=ShnB7MOH_owAfmcuwuK7ow

:siren:WITCH WATCH T SHIRTS:siren:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Should have been denim jeans

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1499582610929979393

the journey does in fact, continue

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Nice, think I'll pick that up when it comes out.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

New Twin Star Exorcists is up on the app. Yet another “shocking” revelation. It’s better than the chapters about minor characters killing each other, at least.

I also think this was the least shocking revelation this series has had so far.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBl72TzGnaw

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tell me, am I crazy to call Luffy a Goku Clone? Seems self-evident to me but I'm getting a lot of folks telling me no.

But I mean, not only has Oda just flatly acknowledged being hugely influenced by DB, again the similarities are just punch you in the face obvious.
-Loves to eat ridiculous amounts for comedy
-is oblivious to most common sense things for comedy
-this childish innocence is charismatic and attracts people to him
-loves to fight

Of course their histories are totally different. One Piece is a totally different series from Dragon Ball. But the central appeal and type of character is identical as far as I can see.

Honestly, it's why "Kid" Goku in Dragon Ball Part 1 is my favorite, more than Luffy or even his own adult counterpart in Saiyan Saga and beyond. It is precisely because Luffy exists in such a more intelligent work that his being this childish simpleton irritates me. Dragon Ball was mostly a comedy so who cars if Goku was a dumbass, it didn't clash with the story. Not that One Piece is all dark and dour - although the one or two times I genuinely felt and liked Luffy were absolutely his darkest moments and there's nothing like it in Goku's entire existence - but I hope you get my meaning.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They're from the same mold of shonen protag.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I hate to use the word clone, but I definitely see where you’re coming from. Luffy feels like a direction Kid Goku could have gone if he were a bit less fight obsessed and a lot better to the people around him. Luffy really cares about his friends and can be perceptive to their feelings which isn’t something Goku was good at.

That said, I’m not a fan of One Piece (I don’t dislike it, I think it’s fine) so I’m not a Luffy expert.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Goku is pretty good to the people around him imo.

Anyway Kid Goku had a stretchy pole and Luffy has a stretchy fist so the inspiration is very clear but Luffy's not really a "clone" or anything. They're built from the same base but they've got their share of differences.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're from the same mold of shonen protag.

Yeah, big heart and no brain is one of the standard archetypes. Them, Gon, Naruto... there's variation, but for a long time, that was the default family line for Shonen Jump heroes.

I think MHA helped encourage a move away from that as the definite expected default, but even now you see a lot of protagonists who have clear Goku influences. Success inspires success and that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, big heart and no brain is one of the standard archetypes. Them, Gon, Naruto... there's variation, but for a long time, that was the default family line for Shonen Jump heroes.

I think MHA helped encourage a move away from that as the definite expected default, but even now you see a lot of protagonists who have clear Goku influences. Success inspires success and that.

It was actually in the context of a discussion on Deku that this came up. I've been watching all the popular shounen for 20 years now and Deku is one of my favorite shounen protags because he stands outside this tradition which I can't really stand. Sure we had Yusuke or Kenshin or even kinda sorta Ichigo (remember in the first season it's notable he gets high grades, just not as high as Uryu's) but Deku is the first one in a long while who feels believable and relatable to me. He has a good heart, he wants to help save people at any cost, but he's actually a normal human being who likes girls and studying (okay that's not normal) and he's defined by his intelligence as much as anything else. And not a Light level super intellect, just a nerd.

Also might throw Vash in this list of great shounen protags if he counts. Speaking of cut from the same mold though, I just realized how similar he and Kenshin are Not just the pacifism thing but their routine of pretending to be a Goku style innocent and clueless buffoons when they are both in fact extremely intelligent and dangerous.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku's just if Sena had good grades.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

clone implies luffy is basically the same character and he's not

e: a clone would be if you had a character named sun bopu go off on a journey with his friend booma to find his grandma's 4 clover lizard ball. yea luffy is similar to goku in some ways and oda's clearly inspired by dragon ball, but luffy and goku aren't the same character

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 6, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Fundamentally Goku is a colossal gently caress up that only really focuses on fighting. Luffy actually cares more about his crew and adventure than fighting. They are still in the same ballpark of figure, but Luffy is not a Goku in the way some other protagonists are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
midoriya had his character flattened into "determined stare, shouts a lot" years ago, he no longer really shows any of the calculating nature that first defined him as protagonist

once senku says goodbye in a week or two i don't think jump's going to have any existing protags who are actually intelligent as such

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder what Ichigo is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a carrot-topped hole in space