Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
These endgame bosses are just too loving hard. I always thought "FROM games hard" was overstated but jesus christ everything godskin duo onwards is just hosed up, and I'm level 130. Obviously I can summon and I guess I'll have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I just remember I absolutely ignored a dragon boss on the way into Altus. I should go back and shank it

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The puzzles to unlock the Rises are absolute bullshit, but so much so that I'm actually impressed at how trolly they are. Miyazaki probably had a good chuckle greenlighting each one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

No; I assumed because the entry point was in Limgrave / they told me to go to Mistwood, it wouldn't be tied to Caelid.

Right, so Blaidd is tied up with what's going on in Caelid first before he moves on to the next area, so go finish the Caelid major boss. You'll know what's up when you arrive at the correct area. Do be warned that it's one of the harder segments in the game though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Hardest optional boss down with the power of grinding and getting an insanely lucky break. Turns out if you give your tear a Mistveil the AI hates it and will stick to them like glue. Just need to dupe the optional souls I never want to see again and this run is over.

No Wave posted:

These endgame bosses are just too loving hard.

Originally it was "hard but fair" and they have generally shifted away from the "but fair" side of that over the years. Looking forward to 2026's release of I Want To Be The Souls.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ugh I just dumped a quarter of a level by buying a Talisman that reduces skill cost by 25%, not realizing that Spells != Skills :saddowns:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; nvm there we go. jeeze what a dumb quest lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 6, 2022

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a 2H great weapon to replace this 2H battle hammer. I'm Str/Fth. Any cool uniques I should keep my eye open for? Something that takes the unique crafting mats

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man bleed build damage is absurd compared to pure strength, but I think I prefer the huge jump attack damage on a massive 2h, I find it easier to fit in to a boss attack window then trying to spam a few hits for a bleed

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am warming up towards Caria Greatsword as a spell/art.
Most importantly it can hit through walls and hits large groups quite efficiently. It can also be comboed for massive damage.
Downsides are the FP cost and the initial charge up is quite risky.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finally found a halfway decent looking wizard set with stats that aren’t complete doodoo. I love rogiers set but it’s defenses are worse than a wet paper bag.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think my biggest frustration with Liurnia is… all the cool int stuff I can’t use because I’m a STR/FTH guy!! I hope there’s a cool faith land I’ll get to go to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think my biggest frustration with Liurnia is… all the cool int stuff I can’t use because I’m a STR/FTH guy!! I hope there’s a cool faith land I’ll get to go to

The good news is there's a lot of pretty busted strong Str/Faith stuff in this game. The bad news is that it's pretty backloaded.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Do AI write these articles or something? https://gamingintel.com/elden-ring-sorcery-spell-effects-locations-requirements/

Almost every detail in this article is wrong, from prices to requirements to location to even the number of spells listed

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh no
Lobo making me real sad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you use a weapon grease on your sword and then summon the Tear, is its weapon greased up?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Finally found a halfway decent looking wizard set with stats that aren’t complete doodoo. I love rogiers set but it’s defenses are worse than a wet paper bag.

Wtf, I would like to put on that robe & wizard hat. Does it give any bonuses to spells or poo poo? My Astrologer looks hella dumb:

I look like a macabre version of the Burger King mascot
All of my poo poo is just like, flimsy armor and nothing cool at all.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Okay so I'm seeing some conflicting information w/r/t a certain weapon:

Do you get the Ruin Greatsword before or after Radahn? I saw at least one poster talk about getting it well prior. Is it just that The Festival™ has to be inactive at the moment, and that can be before doing Raya Lucaria or after beating Radahn?

Ofc I also need to figure out how to beat a loving Crucible Knight and Misbegotten at the same time, but hopefully I can find buddies for that.

edit:

Thundercracker posted:

The puzzles to unlock the Rises are absolute bullshit, but so much so that I'm actually impressed at how trolly they are. Miyazaki probably had a good chuckle greenlighting each one.

it was actually the turtle in the bushes that hosed me up for a bit since there's so many signs around the invisi-turtle, lol

Also Lenna's is a neat gimmick :3:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Frankston posted:

You can always run past him, grab what you need, and never deal with him again

I beat him!

I decided to leave my Vigor at 9 and just pump Intelligence.

Stormviel castle is huge. I don't think I'll ever get all the items there.

Godrick is my road block now. Even with the NPC summon and my imps.

I'm going to leave and level up my imps and raise my INT more.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Okay so I'm seeing some conflicting information w/r/t a certain weapon:

Do you get the Ruin Greatsword before or after Radahn? I saw at least one poster talk about getting it well prior. Is it just that The Festival™ has to be inactive at the moment, and that can be before doing Raya Lucaria or after beating Radahn?

Ofc I also need to figure out how to beat a loving Crucible Knight and Misbegotten at the same time, but hopefully I can find buddies for that.

edit:

it was actually the turtle in the bushes that hosed me up for a bit since there's so many signs around the invisi-turtle, lol

Also Lenna's is a neat gimmick :3:

The Ruin Greatsword is the reward for killing those two whether you do it before or after the Festival.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

We're posting wizard armor I see. Here's mine:

My master's thesis in wizard college was about the Riddle of Steel. The defense had a very large body count.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
These dragons that fly off mid battle are really blue balling me here! :mad:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm a shield + one-handed hammer guy. In previous games regular weapons carried me through. Didn't expect to find any cool unique armaments in this game, but I was wrong.

Ringed Finger

This thing is so goofy, especially the special attack. The regular moveset feels great. It's just as fast as the warpick I was using, and I'm pretty sure it has a longer reach. I find myself hitting stuff more easily while mounted so I no longer need to carry around a large weapon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just killed the boss near the village of the albinaurics but is there anything else there? The map seems to suggest I can move arouind the place a lot more but it all seems to be cliffs

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Ither posted:

I beat him!

I decided to leave my Vigor at 9 and just pump Intelligence.

Stormviel castle is huge. I don't think I'll ever get all the items there.

Godrick is my road block now. Even with the NPC summon and my imps.

I'm going to leave and level up my imps and raise my INT more.

Buddy you are going to need to level vigor if you want to get past even the second area. Trust me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m going to respec into a dex focused build I think, but I sold what would have been a great dagger for it with no way to get it back. Whoops :(

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Jose posted:

I just killed the boss near the village of the albinaurics but is there anything else there? The map seems to suggest I can move arouind the place a lot more but it all seems to be cliffs

there's an area up above but that's only accessible later/via side quest

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

ISLC.exe to clean up your memory and tweak performance a tiny bit, plus closing everything in the background. I do those two things only and get a smooth (55-60 overworld, 60 capped in all dungeons) experience on a 7600k, 16GB relatively slow RAM and a GTX 970. Most people run faster/newer stuff.

Aside from that just core unparking/high performance plans and MSI mode for most devices as sort of bog-standard performance tweaks.

To be fair, for other games I don't really consider 60 frames acceptable, but it's long since been a thing that this is simply what Souls-likes do and so I deal with it. Its the only thing I play with a controller anyway, so the more sluggish inputs don't feel so bad because they match closely with what controllers feel like even on most modern consoles, since titles still like to cap at 60 (and people use horrifically slow TVs to game on for some reason).

If you need links for any of this let me know, but I feel like the internet is replete with instructions on how to do the above.

Edit: Running the controller at 1000 Hz wired for consistency and shaving off another 10 ms is nice too. Can't say I notice it too much largely because a 60 frame game isn't that insanely responsive that you would feel that readily, but what the hell.

Thanks, will try this stuff out. You'd think a 3070Ti and an i7-10700k would be able to run a 60 fps with zero hitching but apparently not.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That's a finger not a hammer!

Also I don't know if anyone cares but I found a tremendously effective spot for farming runes as an Astro -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imoV9j-NsfY

Higher quality video is still Processing, but one of the first Gracepoints you come across in Caelid ("Shack of the Rotting") is right on a cliff overlooking 2 big birds that give 1700 each and they literally cannot touch you.

Some of the higher tier spells are just insanely expensive. I guess if I were good I could just go kill bosses, but :shrug:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hosts. Please. I'm begging you, level vigor. Get some health, stop dying in one hit to mid level bosses. If you were good enough to do a low health run you wouldn't need my help in the first place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if the way the HP growth curve works in this is passively discouraging new players from leveling Vigor. You don't get much HP per point early on and it can feel like a waste. But it ramps up hard as you go, with each point worth more than the last all the way up to 40, and then ramping down until you get to 60. So it means your early investments in Vigor feel small and a player new to Souls games might wonder if it's actually worth it, but it also means the difference between 20 and 30 Vigor is really big, and the difference between 30 and 40 is even bigger.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I finally sucked it up and beat my second major boss since I think all of my NPC quests are at stalling points until I beat redmane or do the capital and I've done every dungeon I could find. Level 115 was pretty clearly overkill for hogwarts but the boss fight was pretty for the ten seconds of it I saw.

m.hache posted:

I'm looking for a 2H great weapon to replace this 2H battle hammer. I'm Str/Fth. Any cool uniques I should keep my eye open for? Something that takes the unique crafting mats

There's a couple of pretty sick STR/Faith colossal swords. One in particular you get from doing the first boss fight in Redmane castle, before the main boss. But I've found a few others, most of which use special upgrade materials. There's a few neat regular greatswords as well that do strength and faith.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like to drop a summon at the start of zones. The hosts who summon me have no idea where they're going but its fine, neither do I! Pretty great way to find and die to ambushes without any consequences.

Harrow posted:

I wonder if the way the HP growth curve works in this is passively discouraging new players from leveling Vigor. You don't get much HP per point early on and it can feel like a waste. But it ramps up hard as you go, with each point worth more than the last all the way up to 40, and then ramping down until you get to 60. So it means your early investments in Vigor feel small and a player new to Souls games might wonder if it's actually worth it, but it also means the difference between 20 and 30 Vigor is really big, and the difference between 30 and 40 is even bigger.

It's also a pretty big investment at the start when players are trying to fill minimum requirements for weapons and get enough stamina/FP to actually use them effectively. I found 20 vigor to be plenty for Liurnia even if the scaling doesn't pay off as much though.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 6, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
does anyone know the consequences of killing D early? i know someone who accidentally shanked him during their initial encounter and want to know how many quests they might have broken

fia's is right out for example but i hope they didn't screw themselves out of rogier and ranni's questline

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm playing as a caster. In my view, vigor is a waste because anything I'm targeting should be dead before it gets to me.

This hasn't always worked out though!

But I'm sure it will as I get better spells and raise my INT.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man it just wasn't enough that Rhedan had to be just the absolute worst on his own, but climbing the tower to activate his rune is also awful. Fromsoft WHY

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Macaluso posted:

Man it just wasn't enough that Rhedan had to be just the absolute worst on his own, but climbing the tower to activate his rune is also awful. Fromsoft WHY
If you go right at the high fire and you'll climb instead of going down, there's actually a door there that's easy to miss.

I missed that door so went down instead. If you're just referring to climbing the outside, yeah, it's some awkward platforming.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can you backstab / critical hit with a shield as a melee weapon? I tried using spiked greatshield on my right hand since it sorta doubles as a strike weapon but couldnt get any critical hit follow ups to trigger.

That said what if you switch to a dagger during crits :thunk:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Weapon level definitely has an impact. From was very unhappy with low-level endgame players invading the undead burg and oneshotting noobs with their maxed-out fully upgraded chaos zweihanders and pyro flames, and so in every game since they've added some kind of restriction.

We just don't know how precisely it works or what the matchmaking ranges are etc.
Yeah. It impacts co-op too. For instance, I could get summoned for Godrick plenty with a somberstone at +2 or +3, but as soon as I go up to +4 it would dry up. My hunch is that it is something like +/- 1 somber stone weapon level, or +/- 3 for normal weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Oh my god I can invade the full grown fallingstar beastbecause it’s not behind a fog door. That’s monstrous.

I don’t even have to do anything, the boss kills them anyway.