Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I guess that is, in a sense, how hydroelectric power already works, but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kelvin's thunderstorm but fed by an actual rainstorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv4MjaF_wow

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just go partial Matrix, and each country in the union takes a turn in the cyberpods.
England first.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This is ignoring that there are huge parts of the UK that cannot host wind turbines, for a variety of reasons (too close to houses, too close to airfields, etc). Solar is an alternative in those areas, even if it isn’t as efficient as in other areas of the world, because the alternative in those places is nothing.

So do nothing in those places.

We don't actually need every single square metre of the country doing *something* to generate electricity, and solar panels aren't free (and *definitely* aren't free of environmental costs). Like I say if people want to do domestic-scale PV I've no problem with that, but I'm talking about a solution to keeping the lights on for the country as a whole, and the fact that we can squeeze some solar panels onto the roofs of the hangars at Heathrow is irrelevant to that conversation because for the amount that costs, both financial and environmental, we *as a country* could build, say, a massive accumulator in an old coal mine, which would be of much more use in keeping the lights on.

Not that we should fall into the old Tory trap of "You can only have one thing or the other", but we have limited resources (and limited time) so we have to ensure that what we use them for works holistically. Plaster the entire country with turbines and solar panels without bothering about storage and the lights will still be going out every winter (and 99% of that capacity will be switched off in summer) - we need renewables that work when wind (and solar) don't, and we need minimally-lossy (and cheap!) storage to cover the gaps in between.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 6, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Trees grow in the UK, we could just use them for solar power and burn them

They did actually try that at Drax, it's a massive failure (not least because they were importing wood from Canada to fire it).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also most of the allegedly managed forests just became a mislabeled American free for all of attacking old growth.

happyhippy posted:

Just go partial Matrix, and each country in the union takes a turn in the cyberpods.
England first.
Do Anglos Dream Of Electric Cheap?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We don't actually need every single square metre of the country doing *something* to generate electricity

How else can Britons maximise their crypto portfolios?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Just go partial Matrix,

Hydropower but with blood

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Priti Patel delivers a Rivers of Blood speech about the exciting opportunities..

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Here in NI i can look out my windows and see a small solar farm and eight windmills and two miles away is the largest solar farm in NI producing 851 kWh/kWp.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1500402367765917698

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This is ignoring that there are huge parts of the UK that cannot host wind turbines, for a variety of reasons (too close to houses, too close to airfields, etc). Solar is an alternative in those areas, even if it isn’t as efficient as in other areas of the world, because the alternative in those places is nothing.

I mean to add to what Twisto said - we have this thing called the National Grid, you know. You might have heard of it. We don't all need our own personal power generation apparatus, we have big wires for that :shobon:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The UK treatment of refugees has always been very, uhh, complicated. On one hand there's quite a few and the rejection rate is actually fairly mediocre, but on the other it's somewhat, let's say, heavy-handed at times.

It's one of the reasons why I find it a bit dodgy when people criticised conditions in the calais jungle, if someone in Britain tried to establish a settlement of undocumented migrants it would last a few hours at best before the home office vans rolled in, nevermind giving them any help from the state.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

we have this thing called the National Grid
Sounds a bit like a far right meeting place. Maybe they should try. :science:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Trees grow in the UK, we could just use them for solar power and burn them

What you want to chop down trees? How’s that renewable?

You can grow concrete

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Fuckin convinced Robert Pattinson is on here y'know

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

Also most of the allegedly managed forests just became a mislabeled American free for all of attacking old growth.

Do Anglos Dream Of Electric Cheap?

Oh my god that's genius 🙏🙏

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are people posting terrible pasta ideas?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I saw a meme about how by a certain age you should have a pasta shape you despise for no reason and I realised mine is penne. Can't stand em. I like those tiny shells best.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The very small pastas are a bit naff cos there is no texture, you're just eating slop.

But otherwise no preference.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

HopperUK posted:

I saw a meme about how by a certain age you should have a pasta shape you despise for no reason and I realised mine is penne. Can't stand em. I like those tiny shells best.

I'm a big fan of the bowties, despite how impractical they are. Shells are also great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whatever that pasta is that's shaped like a steering wheel is the worst. What's the point.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

OwlFancier posted:

The very small pastas are a bit naff cos there is no texture, you're just eating slop.

But otherwise no preference.

Orzo is a crime.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

They are deliberately round to be devoid of point

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tsietisin posted:

Orzo is a crime.

Orzo actually absorbs flavour though so it's great for some baked dishes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

orzo is what you wean baby's onto

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I fuckin hate Spaghetti, I do have a beard though. The best ones are the helix ones.

e: apparently that's "Cavatappi".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have also pictures of the outside and the sun and the flowers and the water and ducks what I have taken with my phone device while at work.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

feedmegin posted:

I mean to add to what Twisto said - we have this thing called the National Grid, you know. You might have heard of it. We don't all need our own personal power generation apparatus, we have big wires for that :shobon:

Eh I mean 5+% of power generated is lost to transmission over the grid. That's 3m peoples' power consumption. Local generation helps to lower that, I believe.

Tsietisin posted:

Orzo is a crime.

Orzo is great, you just need to use it in the right dish.

I can't find the one I make online (I think it was from a magazine) but it's basically this:

https://www.food.com/recipe/orzo-with-blue-cheese-and-walnuts-473318

Except you cook the orzo in 1L of veg stock, drain it off, then add in ~100g of watercress or spinach as well as the blue cheese and walnuts.

It's good, comes out a lot like a risotto.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Orzo, like what is wrong with rice?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Farfalle, tagliatelle. I generally want to bite through a double layer of pasta, so tubes are best but other shapes that ensure thickness (wheels, spirals) acceptable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh actually I don't like tagliatelli because it is always weird when I have it, like I dunno if they use a different pastus to make it but it's got a weird texture, would rather just have spaghet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rigatoni is the one I'm most likely to not chew enough and end up with a chunk jammed in my gullet but I'm still gonna have to give worst place to penne for being the dullest shape

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Green tagliatelle is my fav.
Aldi stock it every now and again, and I stock up on it before its gone again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

Have also pictures of the outside and the sun and the flowers and the water and ducks what I have taken with my phone device while at work.

this is lovely, ty

OwlFancier posted:

Oh actually I don't like tagliatelli because it is always weird when I have it, like I dunno if they use a different pastus to make it but it's got a weird texture, would rather just have spaghet.

i don't really eat pasta these days but i make it a lot. tag is typically an egg noodle pasta; things like spaghetti are just flour

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I have a pet theory that 90% of the "culture war" grifters have Russian money involved, either backing them or amplifying them.

I don't think that the whole thing is a psyop but I do think that pouring gasoline on the division it sows and the horrible politics that ensues is a no brainer investment for the kremlin.

Has anyone ever pulled this thread? Any books or anything that have dug in?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Penne is the worst because it doesn't really work well with a fork or a spoon. The long ones are easily forkable and other smaller shapes are more easily spoonable

Tagliatelle is best

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think it's more likely that the dipshits started doing it off their own backs, and then russia / right wing thinktanks / kochs / whoever noticed them and realised that funding these dipshits could pay off. And now you have a 2nd tier of dipshits who are copying the 1st tier purely to get their hands on the funding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i don't really eat pasta these days but i make it a lot. tag is typically an egg noodle pasta; things like spaghetti are just flour

Ah that would explain it, it does seem more like noodles yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jiggerypokery posted:

I have a pet theory that 90% of the "culture war" grifters have Russian money involved, either backing them or amplifying them.

I don't think that the whole thing is a psyop but I do think that pouring gasoline on the division it sows and the horrible politics that ensues is a no brainer investment for the kremlin.

Has anyone ever pulled this thread? Any books or anything that have dug in?

Not read the article, but found this:

https://thesecuritydistillery.org/all-articles/culture-wars-how-the-kremlin-securitizes-youth-culture

Ok - just skimmed it and seems to be about Russian youth culture not western culture wars.