Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ASBMilitary is not a source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

CainFortea posted:

ASBMilitary is not a source.

au contraire, it's a reliable pro-russian source of whatever tf the russia feel like promoting. Like it's one of the 4 or 5 most prominent english language pro-russian twitter accounts that endlessly repost telegram stuff

yeah you're right though

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Remain calm, citizens, I have removed the link. Friend of mine had posted it and since it correlated with an additional sharp spike in gas price over here in the past two days, I assumed it to be genuine :shobon:

Speaking of gas prices, I just fuelled up for €2,04 or $8,80 USD per gallon.

The last remaining shred of my optimism is saying "maybe, just maybe, now that it hurts Europeans in their wallet hard, they'll think about much much less hard it would have hit them if they'd exerted economic pressure on Russia post-2014 instead of just wagging a finger and continue to line their pockets and tie themselves closer to Putin financially. Maybe, just maybe, this will lead to some introspection on one's own actions and could lead to a shift towards more mindful and sustainable policies."

<narrator voice>

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Also, hot update on German MANPADS-GATE: Apparently the first shipment of Stingers we sent before sending moldy Strelas comprised a full third of all the stock we had.

We sent 500 Stingers.

:psyduck:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, hot update on German MANPADS-GATE: Apparently the first shipment of Stingers we sent before sending moldy Strelas comprised a full third of all the stock we had.

We sent 500 Stingers.

:psyduck:

If I'm honest, that's still 1,450 more than I thought Germany was likely to have on hand.

Wasn't Germany down to double-digit flyable fighter aircraft at one point? More in inventory that could be readily made flyable, but still.

There's enjoying the peace dividend, then there's taking one hell of a punt on long lead time assets.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 6, 2022

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Now I'm just imagining the cold war going hot and Russia and Germany duking it out with untrained conscripts equipped with whatever they could find in their broom closets at home

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I picked the wrong week to start reading Arc Light again. Should have thought harder about my poolside reading.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

IPCRESS posted:

If I'm honest, that's still 1,450 more than I thought Germany was likely to have on hand.

Wasn't Germany down to double-digit flyable fighter aircraft at one point? More in inventory that could be readily made flyable, but still.

There's enjoying the peace dividend, then there's taking one hell of a punt on long lead time assets.

Don’t look up Canada’s numbers.

The US and Russia are absolutely anomalies when it comes to military hardware.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Less so Russia.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fair.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

Try single-digits, at least regarding the Eurofighter. Around 2017/2018, I think we were down to like 6 combat-ready air frames out of 130, partially due to a critical system issue that took half an eternity to be resolved, and partially due to ammo/supplies/spare parts stocks you could probably fit into a janitor's closet.
As recent as February of 2020, that readiness number had skyrocketed up to 10 from 6, this time with no critical system issue involved whatsoever, it was literally all related to spare parts and maintenance scheduling (which was delayed ad infinitum for the majority of the air frames because spare parts procurement was "an issue").

I can't really speak to the foreign impression of Germany's military capability, but it seems to me that it was comically over-estimated based on Germany's own fart-huffing, and the willingness to engage in second-hand-fart-huffing.
We've barely been able to keep up with the commitments we made to UN/NATO-mandated missions for a hot minute now, and I'm not at all surprised.

I think the rest of the world has been underestimating just how "pacifist" of a nation we are (while happily supplying obscene amounts of cutting-edge hardware to anyone willing to pay and imposing the crushing fist of economic imperialism on other nations). There's been this deeply-rooted "understanding" in Germany, that there will never be another war in Europe, let alone a world war. All wars will be fought economically, through proxies in regions we do not care about, or - as of the last decade - on the interwebs. So why would we waste money on the military outside of developing some brand-new tech every twenty years, spending a "justifiably-high" amount of money to replace our hardware with said new tech on the books in respectable numbers for Europe's biggest economy? We've got our big headlines for "the most modern MBT variant (for the next 9 months or whatever) on the planet", or "the most versatile modular APC system on the planet", or "the most advanced pan-European-developed drone" (whoops, nothing to see here :) ), why would we now keep spending money to have more than 10% of those weapon systems operational?

We've been loving excellent at spending money on a very small number of QRF and specialized troops with which we fulfill our UN/NATO-commitments (lol, barely), and generate seasonal headlines, but that's just about it.

I've only spent 2 years in and this was in 2003, so take this with an anecdotal grain of salt, but if I thought about it intently for a couple of minutes, I could probably give you a loving exact estimate of the rounds I fired in total, and regale you with numerous stories of not even Manövermunition (blanks) being available because BUDGET.
Don't get me wrong, the development of Germany actually supplying weapons into a conflict zone is a MAJOR shift in open policy, and the 100bn increase in military spending is equally big, I just have zero loving faith that this money is going to be spent efficiently towards increasing readiness, as opposed to "modernizing tech".

That said, I don't think this shift in policy is the right move in reaction to what is happening at loving all. Yes, I believe that a nation has a responsibility to maintain military readiness and capability for when it is needed as per UN/NATO mandates, because that is - as lovely as it is - the reality of the world we live in.
But the entire world, and Europe/Germany in particular, had several tools at their disposal to tell Putin - in no unclear language - to gently caress off and calm the gently caress down, ESPECIALLY after 2012/2014, and we did exactly fuckall, only choosing to impose measures that actually hurt Putin (and, unfortunately, the entire Russian populace) when push had actually come to shove.

And the lesson we're "learning" from this is "oh, wow, we as a global community have completely underestimated this brutal autocrat, we definitely need to fix our military to prevent this in the future". :psypop:

/edit:

Well, that certainly turned into a wall of :words:.
I'm sorry for venting, I'm just really pissed off at the way Europe, and - particularly - my dumb country has handled this in the past and is handling it right now. We're bull-horning how amazing the European/NATO solidarity is, and while the support is absolutely heart-warming, as are the stories of refugees being accepted, I just feel like we're doing fuckall to even address the systemic issues that lead us here.

/edit2:
To off-set my whining, please find enclosed some pictures of pulled pork, which I had intended to serve to six guests, and instead ended up door-dashing to the individual guests, because they caught the Roni
One of the original attendees devised an ingenuous system to transfer the goods contact-free to their balcony with a basket on a string, and then conveyed some snacks and beer to me on the return-trip of said basket.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 6, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

The US and Ukraine are absolutely anomalies when it comes to military hardware.

FTFY

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

New casus belli approach:

1. Go dump tons of military hardware on your neighbour;

2. Claim they’re building up forces for an invasion;

3. Give them more military hardware.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit2:
To off-set my whining, please find enclosed some pictures of pulled pork, which I had intended to serve to six guests, and instead ended up door-dashing to the individual guests, because they caught the Roni
One of the original attendees devised an ingenuous system to transfer the goods contact-free to their balcony with a basket on a string, and then conveyed some snacks and beer to me on the return-trip of said basket.

That sounds really good. What kind of beer?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1500301348780199937?s=21

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Try single-digits, at least regarding the Eurofighter. Around 2017/2018, I think we were down to like 6 combat-ready air frames out of 130, partially due to a critical system issue that took half an eternity to be resolved, and partially due to ammo/supplies/spare parts stocks you could probably fit into a janitor's closet.
As recent as February of 2020, that readiness number had skyrocketed up to 10 from 6, this time with no critical system issue involved whatsoever, it was literally all related to spare parts and maintenance scheduling (which was delayed ad infinitum for the majority of the air frames because spare parts procurement was "an issue").

Two of those bad boys scared the poo poo out of me on Friday. Apparently they were intercepting an Italian plane that lost contact with ATC and Germany has no restrictions on supersonic flight.

e: It was during Mittagsruhe too. I'm sure the police were fielding plenty of complaints.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 6, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1500301348780199937?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On a religious note, Kyiv holds a special place in the Russian Orthodox Church from what I've been told - it's seen as the birthplace of Russian Christianity. The war, however, is beginning what could be a fully fledged schism within the Russian Orthodox Church.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1500473613828464641

https://twitter.com/lfrayer/status/1500459286731771904

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FrozenVent posted:

Don’t look up Canada’s numbers.

The US and Russia are absolutely anomalies when it comes to military hardware.

You left out China.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That sounds really good. What kind of beer?

Franziskaner Kellerbier.

psydude posted:

Two of those bad boys scared the poo poo out of me on Friday. Apparently they were intercepting an Italian plane that lost contact with ATC and Germany has no restrictions on supersonic flight.

e: It was during Mittagsruhe too. I'm sure the police were fielding plenty of complaints.

We absolutely do, but Jesus Christ, if we're currently throwing those out the window to intercept Italian aircraft, I've been underestimating the hair-trigger we're on. :stare:

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 6, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

On a religious note, Kyiv holds a special place in the Russian Orthodox Church from what I've been told - it's seen as the birthplace of Russian Christianity. The war, however, is beginning what could be a fully fledged schism within the Russian Orthodox Church.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1500473613828464641

https://twitter.com/lfrayer/status/1500459286731771904

The Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox Churches have been in quasi-schism for years now. In fact, the Russian Orthodox Church has been in schism with the wider Orthodox Church since about 2018 (due to the latter recognizing the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as autocephalous): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Moscow%E2%80%93Constantinople_schism

This is a fascinating read, thanks for posting this. I've not even finished the whole thread, but already the point about Syria is one I haven't even thought about. How will the Russian supply their Syrian troops when they can't even supply the invasion at home? Will they eventually decide/be forced to recall the bulk of their forces from Syria? And isn't Assad toast without the Russians?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fan fiction? The dude’s bio says he’s a race car driver. Why would he have access to such a comprehensive leak from the FSB?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Franziskaner Kellerbier.

Even the name sounds refreshing.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Fan fiction? The dude’s bio says he’s a race car driver. Why would he have access to such a comprehensive leak from the FSB?

It was leaked elsewhere yesterday, this guy is just translating it and throwing his opinion in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is a translation of a different post that was linked yesterday in Russian, from what's apparently a fairly reliable Russian activist site.

e:fb

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Torrannor posted:

This is a fascinating read, thanks for posting this. I've not even finished the whole thread, but already the point about Syria is one I haven't even thought about. How will the Russian supply their Syrian troops when they can't even supply the invasion at home? Will they eventually decide/be forced to recall the bulk of their forces from Syria? And isn't Assad toast without the Russians?

In all thats been going on these past few years/months it kinda slipped my mind they were still down there.
I'm sure theres a lot of "Wtf do we do now" going on.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I woke up this morning and simultaneously can't and can believe that Donald Trump would suggest we send F-22s with Chinese bumper stickers and that the Russians would buy that. How much blow and/or senility dis it take to come up with that one from the man who "knows more about war...than the generals"?

The Chinese Air Force. Noted operators of the F-22.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I've seen videos claiming that the FSB had Russian Orthodox Churches in Ukraine stockpile supplies to support the invasion. Apparently Ukrainian troops have been going around and confiscating the food and medical supplies to distribute to civilians.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This is really astounding and absurd. There are plenty of people in Russia who were alive when they supported an army of millions ~1000 mi past their borders. It's almost like they ignored the idea that units go through things that need to be replaced this time around.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

psydude posted:

This is a translation of a different post that was linked yesterday in Russian, from what's apparently a fairly reliable Russian activist site.

The FSB whistleblower is apparently a previous contact of the person who runs gulagu.net, a site that concentrates on uncovering abuse in Russian prisons. Bellingcat ran it past two FSB contacts of theirs, who consider it genuine. They (FSB contacts) don't necessarily agree with everything in it.

But as far as stuff you find on the internet, this is as good as it gets right now, for an inside perspective that matches all the known facts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Splitcoil/status/1500281241253265412?s=20&t=aquW_usITna2X4r4-Rvu0Q

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh poo poo boys, we've been found out!

KitConstantine posted:

A Russian "political analyst" posted a twitter thread showing documents and a laptop that supposedly prove that Ukraine and NATO were plotting an invasion of Donbass and Crimea - conveniently recovered in Donbass! From a far right militants because why not?

https://twitter.com/politblogme/status/1500466895383900175?t=cUuH63SDoEwPrpn_PXxjsQ&s=19
It has to be true - there's a sticker on the laptop! A sticker!!!!

drat it, NATO IT!

brains
May 12, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is really astounding and absurd. There are plenty of people in Russia who were alive when they supported an army of millions ~1000 mi past their borders. It's almost like they ignored the idea that units go through things that need to be replaced this time around.

linked in the thread is this article from a few months back https://warontherocks.com/2021/11/feeding-the-bear-a-closer-look-at-russian-army-logistics/ and re-reading it i am struck at its prescience to what's occuring in ukraine now (it was written mostly for a possible baltics confrontation, but still relevant):

Feeding the Bear: A Closer Look at Russian Army Logistics and the Fait Accompli posted:

Historically, urban combat consumes massive amounts of ammunition and takes months to conclude. During the two most prominent examples, the battles of Grozny in the Chechen wars and the Battle of Mosul in 2016, defenders tied down four to 10 times their numbers for up to four months. At Grozny, Russians were firing up to 4,000 shells a day — that’s 50 trucks a day.
The ammunition consumption would be massive. During the 2008 Russo-Georgian War, some Russian forces expended an entire basic load of ammunition in 12 hours. Assuming the same rates, the Russians would have to replace substantial amounts of ammunition every 12 to 24 hours.
The logistic forces can only support a gradual fait accompli, which won’t shatter NATO unity, instead giving NATO time to mobilize and seal off the land grab. Even if NATO chooses not to reconquer the territory right away, its member states would likely impose crippling economic sanctions until Russia caves in. On the other hand, the decisive fait accompli, such as the conquest of a full member state, may achieve the objective of shattering NATO unity, but it can’t be logistically supported by the Russian army.
Russia could reinforce its Western Joint Strategic Command (Western Military district) from other parts of the country to increase logistic power, but not by much. As Michael Kofman has pointed out, NATO has the ability to horizontally escalate the conflict by holding most Russian theaters at risk. The Russian General Staff cannot ignore this threat. As a result, Russia’s Central Command and parts of the Eastern Command are the only joint commands not facing an external threat and are able to reinforce Western Command. However, the sustainment forces they provide would be consumed by the additional combat forces that come with it. There are no extra trucks in the Russian army that are not tied to supporting engaged forces.

One of the strengths of the Russian army in a war in the Baltics or Poland would be its ability to mobilize reservists and civilian trucks. Russia still has a massive mobilization capacity built into its national economy, a legacy of World War II and the Cold War. However, mobilizing civilians to fight a war has major economic and political costs. To maintain political stability at home, the Russian people would have to genuinely believe they are defending their country. They will not tolerate husbands, sons, and fathers going off to a war on Putin’s whim. The last time the Russian government heavily relied on conscripts and reservists was during the First Chechen War (1994–1996). Within two months, a major antiwar movement appeared, spearheaded by soldiers’ mothers.

latest update from UK MoD hits on rus supply challenges:
https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1500357239428763649?s=20&t=UpRn8V51EEl7NB8dcdxTog

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

drat it, NATO IT!
thats NATO issue duct tape, game's over folks

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Chinese Air Force. Noted operators of the F-22.

*insert J-20 and industrial espionage joke here*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh poo poo boys, we've been found out!

drat it, NATO IT!

Crazy how they had an entire AWACS hidden away in that HQ.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

I picked the wrong week to start reading Arc Light again. Should have thought harder about my poolside reading.

That's the ball game!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

The FSB whistleblower is apparently a previous contact of the person who runs gulagu.net, a site that concentrates on uncovering abuse in Russian prisons. Bellingcat ran it past two FSB contacts of theirs, who consider it genuine. They (FSB contacts) don't necessarily agree with everything in it.

But as far as stuff you find on the internet, this is as good as it gets right now, for an inside perspective that matches all the known facts.

Good to know. My twitter skepticism is ratcheted up to 11 right now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1500516392763801608

Another Russian jet taken down. When was the last time an invader lost this many aircraft to hostile fire in such a short period of time?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Another Russian jet taken down. When was the last time an invader lost this many aircraft to hostile fire in such a short period of time?

The MCR attempt to capture and occupy Medina Station.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

pantslesswithwolves posted:

US marines in southern Afghanistan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Today is not a good day to look at videos from the war. I guess a lot of journalists are either trying to escape with the civilians or trying to document them escaping, which means there's much more intense footage of the Russians killing civilians.

It's uh, yeah...

Death would be too merciful for Putin.