Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

not caring here posted:

US marines in southern Afghanistan?

I think he meant aircraft that were shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I thought he was referencing that helicopter assault of like 30 attack helicopters that got chopped up pretty bad?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

psydude posted:

The MCR attempt to capture and occupy Medina Station.

i understand this reference.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think he meant aircraft that were shot down.

Never not be dunking on marines for that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1500516392763801608

Another Russian jet taken down. When was the last time an invader lost this many aircraft to hostile fire in such a short period of time?

Depends what you mean by "invader" and what your time frames are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post%...700%20fighters.

https://worldwarwings.com/wwii-aircraft-losses-by-country/

edit:

https://twitter.com/MENAConflicted/status/1500235813430480896?s=20&t=X2vUS58I4_9HtuA-iP4iNg

https://twitter.com/supertolerant/status/1500247743268335616?s=20&t=X2vUS58I4_9HtuA-iP4iNg

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 6, 2022

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Looks like the supply problem slackened off a bit.

https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1500490413672738824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cythereal posted:

On a religious note, Kyiv holds a special place in the Russian Orthodox Church from what I've been told - it's seen as the birthplace of Russian Christianity. The war, however, is beginning what could be a fully fledged schism within the Russian Orthodox Church.

https://twitter.com/mjluxmoore/status/1500473613828464641

"You've already staged gay parades Kirill. It's the convoy. All wet. Stuck in the mud. 69 km long"

Kirill: "oh no. OH NO

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Burt posted:

Looks like the supply problem slackened off a bit.
Don't need supplies if you lose all your vehicles, weapons, and troops :gifttank:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
real cool hot takes on how incompetent Russia is while they continue to kill civilians in droves and are working on levelling cities

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

real cool hot takes on how incompetent Russia is while they continue to kill civilians in droves and are working on levelling cities

Those aren't mutually exclusive.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

drat dude maybe I'm the idiot who doesn't understand laughing it up while people are getting killed left and right then :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Those aren't mutually exclusive.

In fact there's probably a causal relationship between the two.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

maffew buildings posted:

Why won't they just leave Britt...ukraine alone?!

No one is participating in shooting at Ukraine. Maybe logoff for a bit. People are doomscrolling and over analyzing because it's a war uploaded to social media in real time. No one is analyzing "well boy howdy, the Russian sure could get their K:D up on those civilians if only they had better supply!" Noticing a land war in Asia, and commenting on it's execution is what people are prone to do. It loving sucks that innocent people are paying for hubris, arrogance and greed. I think we are all on that same page here

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

KozmoNaut posted:

Allegedly the personnel at the nuke sites etc are kept in the dark, no social media, no news other than what they get from their commanders.

It would have to be someone pretty high up who goes "gently caress no".

Or worse the submarines that have no idea what's going on back home. Unless they get close enough to a coastal area and pick up media/mobile phone/satellite phone if that's a thing for the Russians. Wasn't that the thing for British submarines to listen for the bbc radio or something? Or was that a folktale?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

sorry, should have clarified, cool 'lol russia is incompetent they're going to lose all their assets' takes in this thread while they're inching towards their objective and the civilian death toll continues to climb. it's the acting like it's a loving joke they're doing so poorly when they're just going apeshit killing people that i find pretty crass

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

maffew buildings posted:

sorry, should have clarified, cool 'lol russia is incompetent they're going to lose all their assets' takes in this thread while they're inching towards their objective and the civilian death toll continues to climb. it's the acting like it's a loving joke they're doing so poorly when they're just going apeshit killing people that i find pretty crass

maybe take a break?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think everybody is surprised at how poorly the Russian army is accomplishing its objectives COMPARED TO EXPECTATIONS. Truly remarkable compared to any estimate even the day before the invasion. Hence all the remarks about it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

maffew buildings posted:

It's a time-honored goon tradition to find crass, senseless humor in the worst of poo poo in the world. And it is hilariously funny that the Big Bad Russian Military can't seem to keep tires on their vehicles because it's more of a grift machine than a war machine, they just have the ability to murder the gently caress out of thousands/millions of civilians because Pootie-Poo is having a sad.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Dunno if it was my post about their aircraft losses in combat that prompted this but to clarify- I brought this up because of the seemingly huge disconnect between the “Russia has modernized and professionalized its military and will roll over Ukraine in a few days” analysis offered by a lot of Smart People and their much-worse-than-anticipated performance as documented in almost real time.

I don’t think anyone is blind that the overall dynamics of the conflict still favors Russia and that they’ll rely on increasingly brutal tactics to achieve their objectives, but the reality that they’re going to sustain much heavier losses than ever thought is something worth discussing.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Here is my hot take: this is good if true

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1500407854062354432?t=M4lq6mTcOBTM_Vr0_-YlBA&s=19

Elviscat posted:

I have this weird conspiracy theory that the Russians keep seizing these nuke plants so they can be like "the Ukrainians are making nukes!" Then they're gonna light one up on their own guys in a false flag and use it as a justification to nuke Kyiv.

About that!

https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/1500498199169036290?t=m-9ClMzqex0VDHuDvcjq-Q&s=19

Russian state media trying to speed run the Iraq 2003 playbook, but the pages are out of order

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Dunno if it was my post about their aircraft losses in combat that prompted this but to clarify- I brought this up because of the seemingly huge disconnect between the “Russia has modernized and professionalized its military and will roll over Ukraine in a few days” analysis offered by a lot of Smart People and their much-worse-than-anticipated performance as documented in almost real time.

I don’t think anyone is blind that the overall dynamics of the conflict still favors Russia and that they’ll rely on increasingly brutal tactics to achieve their objectives, but the reality that they’re going to sustain much heavier losses than ever thought is something worth discussing.

I think its worth considering that there were/are apparently plans to purge Ukraine after invasion, so it would be bloody hell on the civilians no matter what. at least this way putin is paying a price for his hubris

also, those blue jets are pretty as hell

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. Hope these guys get through it okay, they deserve recognition for doing the right thing. Can't be easy to say no in that situation.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

I don't recognize your name, so if you are a regular GiP'er, my bad.

Keep in mind, many of us have seen this kinda thing in real life- some of us have witnessed people turn into another form of matter; some of us have had to treat scared bloody kids will being a kid ourselves; some of us have killed another human being up close. Black humor, and finding humor in the perverse and despicable are regular coping mechanisms, and shouldn't be taken serious, because it typically means that person is hurting, too.

I got nothing but love for you Goons, so please take the above with that in mind. It's not an excuse, but an explanation. The human brain can only cope with so much horror.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Here's my thoughts on this:

The Ukranians are receiving massive military aid. They're in the process of mobilizing huge chunks of their population to fight. Their military strength will continue to trend upward as more Western aid arrives. Ukrainian morale is extremely high.

The Russians are in the exact opposite straits, in virtually every category with the added not benefit of also being in similar economic straits to the Ukrainians due to sanctions. The war is hugely unpopular at home, people are already not getting paid, shelves are starting to look pretty thin, etc. Time is, in almost every way, on the side of Ukraine in a way it really isn't for Russia.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

On top of that, Russia turning off the gas pipes to get back at the Europeans hits Russia way, way harder than it hits Europe. You can't derive a third of your government income from natural gas and then stop letting your biggest customer buy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh poo poo boys, we've been found out!

drat it, NATO IT!

lol the Windows Vista sticker

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McNally posted:

That's maybe the most plausible thing about it, we have poo poo at work that's still on XP and NT.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
NATO green lighting planes for Ukraine.

E. https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/597056-sending-polish-fighter-jets-to-ukraine-gets-a-green-light-says

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

McNally posted:

*frowning, unsure if this is a P-P-P-Powerbook! reference I’m missing*

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

not caring here posted:

US marines in southern Afghanistan?

:haw:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"Does the US have any problems with Poland sending a bunch of old Su-17s to harass Russia with, which they'll probably need to replace by buying new jets?"
"...no"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't recognize your name, so if you are a regular GiP'er, my bad.

Not seriously? :stare:

quote:

Keep in mind, many of us have seen this kinda thing in real life- some of us have witnessed people turn into another form of matter; some of us have had to treat scared bloody kids will being a kid ourselves; some of us have killed another human being up close. Black humor, and finding humor in the perverse and despicable are regular coping mechanisms, and shouldn't be taken serious, because it typically means that person is hurting, too.

I got nothing but love for you Goons, so please take the above with that in mind. It's not an excuse, but an explanation. The human brain can only cope with so much horror.

I'm with you on all of that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Also just because we aren't posting the horrific poo poo coming out of like, mariupol and kherkev, don't imagine we are ignoring it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

monkeytennis posted:

I picked the wrong week to start reading Arc Light again. Should have thought harder about my poolside reading.

If the bombs fall, just remember to close the A/C vents on your car if you're driving through an active fallout area. :downs:

(this is in an actual passage in Arc Light)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

If nothing else, maffew's greatest transgression is to have a probation-AV, WHEN THEY'RE NOT EVEN ON PROBATION AT ALL

:colbert:

y'all are good people, and I appreciate that we can even have a civil discussion in this dumb subforum of ours

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Looks like the BBC has reverted to its WW2 mode of operation.

quote:

BBC sending out a STRONG signal with the news on 15.735 mhz. If I can hear it strong in Tallahassee, it ought to be busting into Moscow.

from a big HAM guy I know.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If nothing else, maffew's greatest transgression is to have a probation-AV, WHEN THEY'RE NOT EVEN ON PROBATION AT ALL

:colbert:

y'all are good people, and I appreciate that we can even have a civil discussion in this dumb subforum of ours

i had the awesome avatar calling me a racist for referring to overeem as a half breed like 12 years ago before this one from an avatar mix up game :( (note i now know how wrong i was, overeem is a THOROUGHBRED - horse meat type)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

i had the awesome avatar calling me a racist for referring to overeem as a half breed like 12 years ago before this one from an avatar mix up game :( (note i now know how wrong i was, overeem is a THOROUGHBRED - horse meat type)

Forsooth, he has pantastic body

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Farking Bastage posted:

Looks like the BBC has reverted to its WW2 mode of operation.

from a big HAM guy I know.

Isn't this the UK's dead mans signal?

If the Vanguard class ssbn on patrol can't hear it, they open the safe and get the PM "Letter of Last Resort"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How is the thread title not “Putin on the Fritz” at this point?

Pages back by now, but, this did not get enough love.