Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Regarding long term COVID impacts, it's worth asking how they are being accounted for in the CDC's recent risk level threshold adjustments:

quote:

Catherine Roberts:

Thanks for taking my question. I’m wondering, um, to what extent, if at all, um, does this new metric account for people who may have been seriously, um, disabled or sort of long term sick due to like long COVID, but who’ve never actually been hospitalized with acute COVID, is that factored into this at all?

Walensky: Um, so CDC has many different cohort studies to examine long COVID. We know that this is critically important. The NIH two is examining long COVID, and we are doing this through collaborations with states on survey data, long-term, prospective cohort data, um, and, and, uh, um, hospitalization and, and, uh, data from hospitals as well. So we are looking into this for sure. And, and we know much work in what many studies need to be done for long COVID specifically, but in terms of hospital capacity today to forecast what would happen six weeks from now, um, in our, in our COVID 19 community levels, the, that is not accounted for.
Long term impact considerations are explicitly not included in the CDC COVID community risk level determinations. In fact they aren't even certain about the severity and rate of long term COVID infection impacts, but are looking into it. This doesn't stop them from removing mask mandates in "low risk" regions though.

Posted this in the D&D thread and regret it. It was a good reminder that some will vigorously defend public health authorities without addressing their failure to protect actual public health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Insanite posted:

any suggestions for haircut-friendly respirators?

my wife is thinking of getting a haircut in the next couple of weeks.

while, as a cspam covid thread poster, this does not thrill me, i'm not going to fight hard about it--we're still otherwise really locked down with a toddler and it sucks.

i'm thinking of those weird adhesive n95s at the moment.

Take any earloop KN95 and when they're working on one ear, unloop it and hold that side of the mask with your hand

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

^^^ intriguing

T-Paine posted:

There's got to be someone you know and trust who wants to make a little money and is willing to take a test and come over and cut her hair in your house I would imagine

it's gotta be a specific cutter and tbh i think the "normal" ritual is somewhat the point :\

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Insanite posted:

The US is in a dip right now so an ear-loop mask like a KF94 should do the job. Might just have to un-loop one side at a time and hold that side of the mask in place if they need to do anything around the ears.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

McCracAttack posted:

I wonder if we'll ever really know how many people just quietly retreaded from public life these last few years.

This is just feeding into my suspicion that there's something really odd about me because it never occurred to me that this would bother someone.

back before I had kids one of my favorite activities was to get absolutely blasted and then when the hunger kicked in, walk to a local breakfast diner and sit alone in silence and eat a huge plate of French toast.

miss those times dearly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

while, as a cspam covid thread poster, this does not thrill me, i'm not going to fight hard about it--we're still otherwise really locked down with a toddler and it sucks.

I think that the weird adhesive mask is your best option.

A similar concept is to tape a headband/earloop mask to your face. Someone in this thread mentioned that their barber did this for every customer (back when COVID wasn’t over), and they were impressed.

It’s possible to just hold an elastomeric respirator to your face securely, or at least it is for my face and my respirator, but I’d just buy the Readimask if the haircut is two weeks away.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Louisgod posted:

is this a thing? pre-pandemic all you had to do was bring a fun project/hobby with you or a book and just, eat. Do people get self-conscious about caring what other people may think? Hell when the weather was nicer I’d order a coffee from a local place via their outdoor kiosk and fine a table well away from others and read for hours.

People get self concious about what other people think. Even strangers in a restaurant that might maybe possibly only be looking their way for a few seconds. Bringing a book or something to work on or even just browsing your phone at a coffee shop has been pretty normal forever basically. But how often do you see that happen at a mcdonalds or sushi place or chain texmex restaraunt, etc. These are more typically social experiences and the people used to that experience might not know what to do while solo, might look around at everyone else and wonder what they're doing and assume everyone else is doing the same to them, or try to default to a diner like experience and have a conversation with the staff or a nearby stranger. A lot of people get fidgety or just kinda look around when they have nothing to do.

I felt weird for actively ignoring or dismissing what other people thought or expected until college tought me to just hard avoid situations and trends and thing like that, paid off great now.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

i'm just gonna give those sticky n95s a shot. if they don't pass the smell test before the cut, manually sealed earloop masks it is.

lol that this is where i'm at.

10% chance of long covid all day erryday~~

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

tuyop posted:

oh, why is that?

The water in it allows the alcohol to both evaporate slower and gives it more time on w/e surface. The water also helps permeate the cell membrane to kill the bacteria. With viruses some can't be killed at all with alcohol, like norovirus, where SARS-CoV-2 and colds can be killed with 60%

Unsure if this was answered but I don't have the energy to look through the posts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facetoucher cat posted:

With viruses some can't be killed at all with alcohol, like norovirus

Purell is a plot by the hotel industry to disrupt the cruise industry. :tinfoil:

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Insanite posted:

^^^ intriguing

it's gotta be a specific cutter and tbh i think the "normal" ritual is somewhat the point :\

This is prob the best answer.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Take any earloop KN95 and when they're working on one ear, unloop it and hold that side of the mask with your hand

kn95 or kf94 both have earloops.
I feel more confident that I'm buying legit kf94s vs kn95s - though IDK where to source kn95s these days.

I trust that these are all legit/good to go. https://behealthyusa.net/apps/bundles/bundle/100557

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
in the realm of haircuts it's really important the stylist is wearing a mask. definitely check that ahead of time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

fosborb posted:

in the realm of haircuts it's really important the stylist is wearing a mask. definitely check that ahead of time

100%. no mask, no cut, she says.

what I enjoy about navigating COVID’s overness is that things like this don’t feel dangerous at all!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Insanite posted:

i'm just gonna give those sticky n95s a shot. if they don't pass the smell test before the cut, manually sealed earloop masks it is.

I think your wife will be fine with an earlooop kn95 or find a kf94 with adjustable ear straps. My wife’s salon is very COVID safe, masks at all time, towel over face during washes, etc. it’s also only full with 3-4 people but the space is large. No issues so far for her or me.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Found some answers

https://twitter.com/Winning_TV2/status/1467831800592572417?t=riWHrfmd_e20KZzpUvFpQg&s=19

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Two mask related questions:

1) Has anyone seen any rolls of foam tape like what's inside auras on the nose strap? Auras really don't fit my face well especially around the chin, but the nose is great. I have some cheapo vented N95's from the HW store back in Jan 2020 that are fine but don't seal amazingly around the nose. I have some other really good N95's that work pretty well and are molded, but maybe 1/3 of the time the mold varies a bit and isn't quite the perfect shape, and adding a little conformal foam would seal the top perfectly. Is this stuff just weather stripping basically?

2) Is everybody wiping off their elastomerics with alcohol, or taking them apart and washing them every time? Or just doing nothing? Especially since you can't always let them sit for days and days like with cycling masks. I've been completely disassembling and washing but that seems like it'll wear out parts quick. And wiping the outside of the cartridges with alcohol wipes sometimes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rescue Toaster posted:

2) Is everybody wiping off their elastomerics with alcohol, or taking them apart and washing them every time? Or just doing nothing? Especially since you can't always let them sit for days and days like with cycling masks. I've been completely disassembling and washing but that seems like it'll wear out parts quick. And wiping the outside of the cartridges with alcohol wipes sometimes.

I'm just wiping mine down with alcohol wipes, haven't taken it apart yet, but I'm only using it for grocery shopping so I haven't logged too many hours in it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Regarding long term COVID impacts, it's worth asking how they are being accounted for in the CDC's recent risk level threshold adjustments:

Long term impact considerations are explicitly not included in the CDC COVID community risk level determinations. In fact they aren't even certain about the severity and rate of long term COVID infection impacts, but are looking into it. This doesn't stop them from removing mask mandates in "low risk" regions though.

Posted this in the D&D thread and regret it. It was a good reminder that some will vigorously defend public health authorities without addressing their failure to protect actual public health.

just wanna say that you made a valiant effort

you can't argue with a brick wall

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rescue Toaster posted:

Do you also change your clothes after every outing? There was a time when I did, but I haven’t in a long time.

I don’t decontaminate respirators after each use. I only clean them as I would in shop use, i.e. for ordinary grime. The part that contacts my face gets a rubdown with seventy percent alcohol daily. The exhalation valve gets removed and cleaned as necessary, depending on use.

The outside I more or less leave be. I do wipe it down occasionally, certainly if there’s dust on it, but it’s not much of an infection risk. I sanitize my hands with the seventy percent alcohol I carry before handing the respirator to remove it, and I sanitize them again after I’ve set it down.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 6, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Insanite posted:

Cases are low right now so there's less COVID out there to catch. Also "back to normal" folks can go months with daily exposures before their luck runs out. If you ask this cave dweller, it feels pretty reasonable to do things like haircuts and dentist visits between waves.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Louisgod posted:

is this a thing? pre-pandemic all you had to do was bring a fun project/hobby with you or a book and just, eat. Do people get self-conscious about caring what other people may think? Hell when the weather was nicer I’d order a coffee from a local place via their outdoor kiosk and fine a table well away from others and read for hours.

you do get noticeably worse service and seating when dining alone.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Do you also change your clothes after every outing? There was a time when I did, but I haven’t in a long time.

I mean... yeah I guess. I really only ever leave if I'm going to do one specific thing so when I get home I typically change and take a shower anyway.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Going to a movie alone or eating a nice meal while reading a good book were absolute pleasures of mine in the before times.

Getting high and going to the movies by myself was a pleasure. It's pretty dumb that the last time I did this was for Rise of Skywalker or whatever the gently caress it was called. I don't even really like star wars.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

there was never anything weird or wrong with going to a restaurant by yourself, and people have always done it frequently. I dunno why people get weird about it

Joementum posted:

you do get noticeably worse service and seating when dining alone.

never saw this at the restaurants I worked at and never had this problem when I ate alone either.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/OrganizingPow3r/status/1500533431561863176

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Insanite posted:

get her to tie her hair into a ponytail that sticks out between the wrap-around-the-head straps and get the hairdresser to just snip the whole thing halfway then remove the hair tie

in the biz we call this style the sadness helmet

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

empty whippet box posted:

there was never anything weird or wrong with going to a restaurant by yourself, and people have always done it frequently. I dunno why people get weird about it

to me the point of a restaurant is to be a midpoint for meeting people and to structure the gathering in an extremely low key way for the friends who are not good with just chilling in a park or whatever, so going to a restaurant by myself just feels like walking outside without pants on or something, i know people do it but it feels weird

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

"just as effective" in the same way i am just as effective at rocket science as my dog is.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1484928356214886405

What the heck we're still culling everybody's pets 3 years into a pandemic

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Man Musk posted:

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1484928356214886405

What the heck we're still culling everybody's pets 3 years into a pandemic

what the gently caress is going on in that hamster stock photo though

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

fosborb posted:

green power, baby

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rutibex posted:

watch The Omega Man next, it's the true timeline. we've already got the proto cloak people

That's a classic I saw a few times on TV back in the Y2K time period. Love it, I should watch it again though!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

.1% of the population pozzing every day? OPEN MARTIN!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fosborb posted:

redundant hamster generator array

e:

Insanite posted:

green power, baby

gently caress

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

fosborb posted:

I dont know but it looks fun

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Clocks posted:

what a lovely lady :3:

my mom is tuned into a variety of russian social media and there are sooo many memes about covid being "over" and all of taking was a war etc etc. there was a joke about someone wishing they didn't have to think about covid for new years and going "no wait, not like that!"

lol russian cynicism is unparalleled

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's pretty accurate. I can do a longer effortpost later but we're basically on a six to twelve month delay on political trends relative to the US

It's frankly a miracle that our COVID policy has been as comparatively effective as it was. It's still worse than it could have been but they didn't (yet) throw us to the dogs entirely

i think most or all of the capitalist world are on lags of varying lengths from the US in the political sphere. probably just because the US government will implement whatever capitalists want at the drop of a hat but it takes a bit longer for them to beat down whatever resistance exists in other capitalist countries. Maybe a couple countries are a bit ahead of the US in certain dimensions, for example israel has a bit more developed support for the government's ethnic cleansing program than in the US, where only about half the population explicitly support it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Koirhor posted:

I got some bad news about takeout/delivery for that person

what’s the bad news?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Nocturtle posted:

Have been trying to compile and summarize large-scale studies of PASC rates for "mild" infections. Whoever is updating the thread spreadsheet is doing a great job, thanks!

Here are the most relevant ones I've identified so far:
Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19
-45.29 incidents of any prespecified cardiovascular outcome (study 2020-2021)

Post-acute symptoms, new onset diagnoses and health problems 6 to 12 months after SARS-CoV-2 infection: a nationwide questionnaire study in the adult Danish population
-5-10% persistent symptoms at 6-12 months

Six-month sequelae of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection: a retrospective cohort study of 10,024 breakthrough infections
-60% outcome for "long COVID"

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients
-We found that 52% (32/61) of home-isolated young adults, aged 16–30 years, had symptoms at 6 months, including loss of taste and/or smell (28%, 17/61), fatigue (21%, 13/61), dyspnea (13%, 8/61), impaired concentration (13%, 8/61) and memory problems (11%, 7/61).

Really can't avoid concluding that any mild infection has a >10% chance of inducing long term symptoms, very roughly. However PASC is a very broad category, and these symptoms range from minor to life-changing. This includes the ~5% chance of cardiovascular disease, which is obviously bad. One thing I'm trying to understand is what fraction of PASC symptoms are signficantly debiliating, and am beginning to think labor force dropout rates might be a better way to answer this question.

The obvious question is to what degree vaccination protects against these impacts. This pre-Omicron Nature news article provides the best summary I've found regarding this. It seems very unclear, and even moreso now with Omicron dominant. Haven't seen any evidence that "mild" breakthrough Omicroninfections will have lower long COVID rates than measured for "mild" cases before vaccinations become widespread.

Quoting so I have this, thanks for compiling it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gopTODD/status/1500213705857929216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

lol russian cynicism is unparalleled

The KGB operated a prison in the Lubayanka building in Moscow. It was across the street from a toy store called Childrens’ World so of course Russians called it Adults’ World.