Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

The Sachiko things checks out. In scenario A, Emory died in the south area accident, and the original Sachiko's suicide attempt was unsuccessful and left her with amnesia.

In this scenario, well... Turns out Emory being dead was probably a good thing.

Honestly I like the way changing different variables, like Hume and Anne reconciling, or a different person dying in an accident helps explain drastic scenario changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Mathwyn posted:

The Sachiko things checks out. In scenario A, Emory died in the south area accident, and the original Sachiko's suicide attempt was unsuccessful and left her with amnesia.

In this scenario, well... Turns out Emory being dead was probably a good thing.

Honestly I like the way changing different variables, like Hume and Anne reconciling, or a different person dying in an accident helps explain drastic scenario changes.

Agreed, it's kinda like seeing all the possibilities of what Neo Kenya could turn out to be. There's an underlying "what-if" to it that makes you wonder what other things could change in other scenarios.

I'm wondering at this point if there's a scenario where Ken isn't even around.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

King of Bleh posted:

I for one am shocked that the Hitler Doctor turned out to be a shady guy.
:same:

honestly the weirdest part is the zombies out of left field I expected his shady plan to involve more killing and less un-killing

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Thank you. It makes me happy to hear that, even if it's a lie. You are always so nice to me, aren't you? I was a bit scared before, now I'm not any more. Thank you for everything. *kiss*

So, good thing none of that liquid hit you then. I'm sure this won't come up later...

But...The Puppet Master's been active for a very long time before now. So what was Emory doing before?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bloodly posted:

So, good thing none of that liquid hit you then. I'm sure this won't come up later...

But...The Puppet Master's been active for a very long time before now. So what was Emory doing before?
I suspect he was doing his best to lie low and raise his daughter, up until she killed herself.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Bloodly posted:

More or less it was mentioned that he got into some kind of crime deal with his bionics research in order to make it possible for his daughter (Sachiko) to have a heart surgery when she was a baby. So presumably the whole thing was going since pretty much the birth of Sachiko, so we're talking a couple of decades or so that this has been going on.

Also this will be touched upon a bit more in the upcoming update too.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back! Last time, things got a little weird, actually. First, Ken and Linda ended up fighting a bunch of zombies in Minago. Then Dr. Emory claimed that it's all his fault for letting a parasitic infection (?) spread out from the hospital, but not to worry he'll sort it out. Then Ken and Linda went and did a whole lot of hunting, and then finally they found out some information which seemed to indicate that Emory is actually the Puppet Master. Therefore they did what any reasonable person would do and went to confront Emory directly. Turns out, he's completely nuts and the whole encounter ended with Linda injured and in hospital. Oh, and also it turned out that Sachiko isn't really Sachiko but simply one of several clones of Emory's actual daughter Sachiko, who, as it turns out, was in fact the first person to commit suicide by throwing herself off the church, after not having been selected for the female ark crew for the slot that was ultimately given to Linda!

So at this point we find Ken again on his own...

After leaving Linda in her hospital room in Hospico, we should head over back to Hardia and talk to Ben, to see what he thinks of all this! He may not be too happy with us, as we disobeyed him pretty blatantly by going to confront Emory...

Well, I suppose there's no use in dwelling on what's already happened. We need to figure out where we go from here.
Laguna Lodge is Emory's private residence, but it's as big and well equipped as a small town. This means, once the gates are closed, you're not likely to be able to get in. There are ways to break in, but it would take too much manpower and time to be possible to arrange... Not to mention that Linda's left arm is probably being held hostage there!
It seems we're at a bit of a dead end... Ugh, it makes me sick to my stomach!

Looks like we don't have too much to do until the next plot moment, so it might be a good time to finish the hunting! We are missing only two species to make a total of 50, so let's grab a couple. We could actually have done these last time already, but that's ok, it won't take us long!

First, we will head all the way down south...

...into that same place where we fought the ants. You won't encounter this new species normally, but if you make camp here, you have a good chance of being attacked in your sleep...

...by a bunch of hydras!

As you can see, they use mostly fire based attacks and are definitely among the stronger enemies you can find down here, but still we're decently high level so they don't pose much of an issue at this point.

Our next destination today is...

...again that difficul to get to bit of land between two caverns.

First of all, one of the things you can run into here, among other places...

...is a poacher and his dogs. The poacher appears to fight using a (very) large mallet, but nevertheless, this is mostly just a distraction and you don't need to fight them. Dogs are plentiful in other places, so there is no need to come here to capture them.

Last time here, we were capturing us some impalas, but today we have a different species we're looking for...

The rhino!

They might be a bit on the stronger side for the East Area (although they don't have any abilities that are too crazy), but East Area is anyway intended mostly as a beginning area so at least on the surface of the planet none of the animals are really TOO strong. So the rhinos also in the end look tougher than they are. Funnily enough, in this pariticular battle Ken is confronted with three rhinos and after capturing one of each gender, the third one actually uses his "eject" ability to kick out Ken, thus ending the battle, since Ken is fighting on his own! (I took out the dogs so that they don't accidentally overkill anything)

This should comfortably bring us to a nice round 50, so...

...we can head over and report in the ark.

Talking to the robot confirms that, indeed, we have captured the required 50 species that is needed in order to successfully finish this scenario. Incidentally, between the first two scenarios, we have so far only actually personally encountered 57 different species out of the possible 120 in the entire game. So that's actually less than half, which does kind of beg the question, where the heck are all the other 63 hiding? I mean that's not a small number and we've looked at a fair bit of places in the game so far and didn't find them! Well, not to worry, this is only the second scenario, so we'll still have a chance to look into it before the end of the game.

But, as far as Scenario B is concerned, we are definitely done with hunting.

Incidentally, we can check here another news bulletin!

Minago residents zombie(?) uprising!

The bodies of Minago residents who had died in the recent massacre appear to have been zombified and have gone on a rampage. The cause of the rampage is unknown, but it appears to have been caused by a unknown parasitic infection. The path of the infection is yet to be determined, though.

While we were doing the hunting, Ken also received another message notitification!

So, let's check it out. The message is from Ben!

You nitwit! Where have you been wandering about? A woman looking like Sachiko Emory has been seen in Ozport! Go there immediately! That is all!

Heading to Ozport, unfortunately we find no sign of Sachiko at all, however, this one tent here is for once not actually empty, so...

...we can talk to its owner!

There is a huge pool for electric catfish here in the basement... Do you think I would die if I tried to swim in it?

So here you get a bit of a hint to look for the basement where the catfish are, but we already did that last time!

In any case...

...soon enough, it becomes Autumn 1993. Here we can also see the game indicating that we have 0 species left to capture!

And soon after that, Ken receives another message notification!

Checking the message, it's from Ken's mum this time!

Hey, it's mum! I went to clean Hume and Ann's grave, but there was somebody there already. I started talking to her, and she told me she already knows you. So I'm having tea with her at home now... but somehow she wouldn't tell me her name, and seems to be acting a bit strange. Would you mind coming over as soon as you can?

I guess it must be one of the Sachiko clones probably? I don't see who else it could possibly be.

So, let's head home and find out!

As expected, it's one of the clones who is with Ken's mum!

Just tell everything to mum, and don't hide anything, ok? I promise I won't be surprised!

Ken explains to mum everything that's happened until now.

Hmm, seems a bit of a complicated situation. Certainly not something an easygoing person like me can fully grasp, but... I know what's the thing that this girl needs the most right now!
You said you're "No. 1", right? Come over and let me look at you for a second...

No. 1 does just that.

Hmmm... yes...
"Sumire"! From today, you will be "Sumire"! Su-mi-re! This is your name now! Do you like it?
What is it, Ken? If you have something to say, then say it directly!
[ This is no time to be thinking about names! ] / But isn't "Sumire" a bit oldfashioned sounding nowadays? / Can you really decide it so simply like that?
Right, speaking of which, this is the name of a character in an old anime! But you know, important things like names or marriages are best when decided on a hunch!
Oh no, why are you crying, girl? If you really dislike Sumire so much, I'll think of a different one!
N-no... It's not like that... I am h-happy... Happy... Like I've finally been born for real.

After this, we can talk to both of them again...

So... Where do we go from here...?
My name is Sumire! Isn't it a beautful name?

Ken's mum seems to be pretty much the nicest person on this whole planet, together with Ben. But, unfortunately, we have places to be, so we will head out. But, as we do...

I think I will go back to Laguna Lodge and try to convince father.
But you know based on what I've just told you that he's going to jail no matter what... Then what are you going to do after?
N-nothing... special...
Then it's settled! From then on, you will be like my daughter and will come here to live with me! And just at the right time too, since this annoying kid will be leaving me!
Ken? It looks like you want to argue with my decisions again?
No matter how you look at it, this is quite a mess... / How are you going to explain this to the commander? / [ Ah, you're going to do what you want anyway... ]
We don't need to concern ourselves with trivial details. I like Sumire and that's enough for us to live together! Unless, of course, she'd rather not? Sumire! Do you like me?
*giggle* Yes! I like you! I like Ken, too, and Miss Linda and I like everyone!
Sumire, you... look so much better when you smile like that! With that smile, you will have most men at your mercy!
Try it now with Ken! "Come with me to Laguna Lodge", that's what you should ask him now! Don't worry, your smile has the power to turn any man's answer into "Yes".

This game is absolutely hilarious.

Indeed, we get to choose the answer Ken gives here, but the only problem is... all possible answers are "Yes"!

There you go! It was exactly as I told you it was going to be, right?
Sumire, remember that from now on, it's only you yourself who can unlock your future! All right? And if you're in trouble, just come back here! This is your house now, too!

And with this, we can finally leave.

And so we have now the newly named Sumire in our party. She's massively underleveled compared to us, but she does have a secret weapon in the form of her laser beam when she transforms, and yes indeed we can use it in battle ourselves--her so-called "Mode B"! It has the effect of simply one-shotting any enemy--so it's not useful for capturing in that sense, but luckily we won't need it for that anyway.

Expectedly, the party menu re-uses the same portrait here as we've had with the other clone, but that makes sense since, you know... they are clones.

As we go out we can definitely sit on the swing with her, but there is no additional dialogue to be had, unfortunately.

So we'll take the Bird Line south. As always, the only place down south with a functioning service is in fact Dogy Figh, so that's where we'll go in the first instance.

Upon arrival, we find a hunter loitering about. We can talk to him.

Hey did you hear? The real reason the Orman family members left in a hurry is because one brother finally got himself killed during the inheritance dispute. A huge hole in the chest, dismembered limbs... looks like somebody hired a pro. What a pair of brothers!

Ah, so that's how that ended up, huh? Also, I think I might know who the "pro" was who executed the assassination!

Nevertheless, as we descend the stairs...

Ah, this thing again...

[ Good. ] / Bad.
I guess people aren't always what they seem! I learn so much when I'm with you, Ken!

Before we proceed to Laguna Lodge, we can make a quick stop at Dogy Figh. Being as it is autumn, there's no fights going on, but...

...the naked lady is still here!

Hey, you... have you seen Beagley anywhere? I can't afford to lose my golden goose... Ugh, what a bother.

Considering what kind of relationship these two had, I can see how the fact that all family members have been either killed or have left would be a problem for her!

In any case, if we take the tunnel from Dogy Figh to Laguna Lodge...

...we run into a locked door!

Looking at the map (where the line is pointing at Laguna Lodge)...

...we can see the lake. So we have to go around the mountains and approach from the south.

This is in fact the same place where we used to hunt eagles in order to make the sword. But from this side...

...we can get inside.

the main building is actually locked this time around...

...so we head into the side building.

But, as we try to go in...

...this door is also locked! However...

I have the key for this door. Wait a second, I'll open it.

And she does. Coming inside...

We can see the dresser here. In the wardrobe, we can also find "cabbage white butterfly dress" (this is an "armour" item for Ken and Linda, because somehow cabbage white butterfly is one of the animals which can be found in this game, although we haven't found it yet!). It is not actually as strong as what we already have (dog jacket) so we don't need to bother with it.

In any case, looking at the dresser...

Ken found the key to the main building!

[ Sure, tell me everything. ] / Uh, I'm not really a good listener...

The game does give you the option to skip this if you want, and I guess primarily this option is here if you're replaying the game or something like that.

Anyway, here is the story.

For a long time, father and Sachiko were on the run from the Federation and there was no place where they could live in peace. Sachiko in particular grew tired of it. She couldn't make any friends because they couldn't leave any traces. In the end she even thought of killing herself just to be able to get out of it all.
But then they came to this planet and she found out that there was an opening for a crew member on the ark; this would allow her to completely leave her past behind. It seemed like a dream come true, where she could even get to know a person of the opposite sex of her own age. So she volunteered without hesitation.
Father was against it at first, but eventually agreed to it. He was sure she would be able to become the crew member because he didn't expect any other candidates for such a reckless project would come forward.
The rest of the story, you already know. Sachiko didn't make the cut. So she... jumped off. But the actual truth is... she's still alive in a vegetative state and she's been in a come for a while now at a certain location.

Very interesting. As we already know Dr. Emory got involved with some criminal interests because of his bionics research when he needed money for Sachiko to get a heart surgery. So I guess afterwards they ended up not being able to settle anywhere permanently on account of that.

Anyway, we got what we came here for, so we can leave. At the door, Sumire/No. 1 stops us.

It was painted by No. 2. She says she wants to be a painter.
It looks like you Ken, doesn't it? But it's not you. Who the model was is a secret! 🎔

It's a bit hard to tell at this resolution, but it does look a bit like Ken. But if not him, then who is it? Nek? Maybe we'll find out in another scenario?

Time to go in the main building, though!

We use the key and go through the door (welcome to our first actual usage of a key, by the way!)...

...but then all the storage cabinets pop open and...

...we're thrown into a battle against four of these... things. They are called "The Origin" and apparently they are artificial life forms created by Dr. Emory to act as his loyal guards. Yeah, let's go with that.

They pose no real threat to us at this point, Ken can certainly one-shot them.

Sumire/No. 1 is quite low level, as we've seen, but...

...she has her special abilities as a bionic creature/clone:
- A Mode: First Aid (heal)
- B Mode: Hand Beam (the laser attack)

Using B Mode on an enemy simply one-shots them, no matter the HP.

So as you can see, this battle is easily and quickly over. Some guards, huh.

By the way, this chest is now accessible and contains... another "air free pass". A bit late for that one, since we already bought ours way back at the beginning of the game!

In any case, where we need to go is the other side of the house.

Here in what looks like a laboratory of sorts, we find Emory and No. 2, who seems to be wearing Linda's wedding dress for some reason. Let's see what this lunatic is going to do now!

The topic is none other but the question of the female member of the ark crew, that is to say, your bride! I mean, Linda is currently in a bit of a state, wouldn't you agree?

He explains it in more detail in the following cutscene.

What even.

Also, could I have some time to think about it? Because, uh...

By the way, in case you've been wondering why I haven't been posting many PC Engine cutscenes lately, it's simply because in Scenario B, other than more low tech graphics, they don't really contain anything different from the remake versions. In Scenario A there were some noticeable differences in dialogue and otherwise, but that is not the case for Scenario B where all cutscenes are basically identical in content in both versions, except for the one at the very beginning where Linda is trying on the dress.

Imagine starting a newly married life by spending all day and all night as a trio with two beautiful and obedient twin brides!
So, Ken. Sachiko or Linda, who will you choose?
Sachiko. / [ Linda. ]
Well, isn't that interesting! But, did you notice, Ken? They both look like they've been expecting your answer and they sighed. A mixture of relief and disappointment. It's a complex, high-level expression of emotion! Even though they are just like Sachiko... they are still just dolls.
They are not real Sachiko. I'll show you the proof now!

Father! I don't want to activate C-Mode!
What nonsense is that! Let's try again! C-Mode activate! Three, two, one, go!

The two of them run off.

Hahaha, did you see that, Ken? It looks like even their thoughts are starting to resonate now!
I guess all daughters at some point have a duty to go beyond the imagination of their parents... It happened with Sachiko when she applied for the ark crew.

He starts slowly inching away from Ken...

And now my daughters have left me...

While talking, he's managed to make his way slowly over to this button on the wall. He pushes it...

...and the storage cabined moves to reveal a staircase.

What kind of person would even have a daughter? They will only betray you in the end!

I like how in this scene Emory is all over the place. Starting with constantly shifting whether he's talking about the real Sachiko or the clones and then literally changing the mood in each sentence!

As expected, he makes his escape down that secret staircase.

We follow him down, but as you might expect...

Another bunch of "Origins" pops out from behind the doors! Even though Ken is alone, he's still able to make a short work of them.

Eventually we find...

...a staircase going up...

...which brings us back out here to a familiar location. There is nothing to do here for now, so we can leave.

While walking around, Ken is again notified of a message!

Let's check it out! The message is from Ken's mum.

It's mum! Just to let you know, Sumire came back home and brought Yoshiko with her. Oh, right, I've given the name "Yoshiko" to No. 2. We're having a nice dinner here just us three girls. Everything is grea...
(talking to someone in the house) Wait, Yoshiko! No, don't do that!
Sorry, Yoshiko was about to drink a whole glass of vodka because she thought it's water.
(talking to someone in the house) Don't worry, you aren't going to die from this. It's fine, don't even worry!
By the way, did you know that Sumire can cook really well?

Well, then, let's make our way back to Hardia and see what these three are up to...

We can stop by Ben's office on the way...

Sumire and Yoshiko, huh? It must be tough for your mum to suddenly gain two grown-up children like that... It must be tough.
I wonder what it would have been like to have been a dad myself?
Oh, wait a minute, I was a dad to Sally long time ago! Ahahahaha...

Uh, sure. Ok, let's proceed to Ken's house.

I don't usually bother talking much to Ben's secretary since she rarely has much to say, but this time she strikes gold.

Commander is always complaining that he's sick to his stomach... I wonder if I should go and buy him some medicine?

Back at home...

Oh, right, right! They left a message for you! They said: "We'll be waiting for you in the area C-21." That is all they said.
But, C-21, isn't that in the middle of the desert? Wouldn't it be a little too hot for a date? Not to mention the area is crawling with higher level animals, so make sure you're prepared for anything!
Anyway, it's in the desert southwest from Dogy Figh. I don't know what is it, but I have a bad feeling about this. So go have a look and make sure to take care of Sumire and Yoshiko!

Well, ok, let's head down to C-21. I wonder what's there, though?

Before we can do that, however, there is another message for Ken!

So we go quickly to check it. It's from Ben this time!

It's me! Ken, I'm so sorry, but Linda's been kidnapped from Hospico! We've got no leads so far, but we've got three witnesses claiming to have seen someone looking like Emory. There is also one report from someone who saw two dark haired twin nurses. That's all I know for now. I'm really sorry! Stay strong!
That is all!

So, like in Scenario A, here too Linda gets kidnapped from hospital. Although, as we'll see shortly, that's where the similarities end, as this situation will turn out to be completely different.

Now we can really head down to C-21.

Here it is on the map, and there does seem to be something there. Of course, this game being mostly open-world, we could have in fact gone here at any point to see what it is. But that's ok, we'll go now.

Here we go, looks like another abandoned place, in the vein of Koshikata!

Coming inside confirms that the place is abandoned and no services are available. However, there is one of those news bulletins posted by the telephone, so let's check it out...

A big win! The youngest Ranger commander ever!

Gene Challenger (27) has been appointed as Ranger commander. The appointment of Gene Challenger as the commander of the Rangers Corps is seen as a move towards rejuvenation, in order to better cope with the long running Neo-Kenya escape project. Ben MacDonald (29) is expected to become deputy commander.

Huh, so this is from years ago, talking about Ken's father and the current commander, Ben... Well, I guess it was left here when the town was abandoned. Let's proceed inside.

Er, what actually happened here? It seems this place was not simply "abandoned"!

So, yeah, the place is called Garex, but as to the hows and whys of the explosion and all that, it will have to wait for the next scenario. But we definitely want to find out more about what happened here at some point.

For now, we can simply conclude...

...that the place has seen better days! By the way, that chest can be actually reached by quickly going through the basement here. It contains a camel shirt...

...which actually gives Ken a slight +10 defence boost. So, why not, I'll take it.

Anyway, where we actually want to go is this underground shelter whose entrance is here in the corner.

You can take a lift, which takes you directly all the way down to the 7th basement floor, or you can take the stairs, one floor at the time.

Most floors don't actually have anything in them.

Except floor 4, which has these two chests. One is empty, and the other contains a 100HP recovery tablet. So not that special, really.

Anyway, here we are at the basement floor 7. This is as far as lift goes, but there's one more floor below.

Before we proceed, there is a room with the three computers here. The one on the left is not operational, but the other two by the door allow us to "defrost" a cryogenically frozen pair of animals. This is the same as what we've seen in the prevous scenario already, also near the end.

The first one:

TransCargo IN: Anglerfish ♀: 1, Anglerfish ♂: 1.

And the second one

TransCargo IN: Cobra ♀: 1, Cobra ♂: 1.

So the game again shows mercy and gives you a couple of species for free near the end!

Anyway, proceeding down to the bottom most floor, we encounter quite a scene!

As it turns out, Linda was "kidnapped" by Sumire and Yoshiko! Let's see what they have to say!

...so we used a well practised method to get her out of the Hospital, because we knew that if we'd left her there, father would definitely do something to her! Sorry that we had to do it like that!
[ No, it's fine. ] / What a bother... / Well, all right, this one time. / Oh you're just...
We're really sorry!
You should now talk to Ken and explain everything.

The other one takes over.

The game differentiates them by putting the portrait on the opposite sides of the screen!

We need you to go and get something for us. There is a cave south of here called The Sand Hole. The scorpions live there and we need about four pieces of scorpion meet. Will you go and get it, Ken?
[ I will go. ] / No way!
I knew you'd say that! That's just how you are, isn't it?
Four pieces of scorpion meat, if we have it, we can save a lot of time during the surgery and reduce the chance of failure!

Well, then...

...hunting scorpions it is, I guess! But that's for next time, in the grand finale chapter of Scenarion B! Until then, take care!

Today we start with the picture of "Sachiko" doing that... thing when she turns into a robot.

"Leave it to me"

And then also a picture of Emory and Sachiko from the PC Engine version:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm impressed that Emory managed to both look more and less sleazy in that second picture.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ken's mom is awesome.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh, Emory doesn't have some grand plan. He's just insane.

I'll throw out a guess in the dark and say the painting is of Ken's bio dad since I'm expecting to learn more about him.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Hypocrisy posted:

Oh, Emory doesn't have some grand plan. He's just insane.

I'll throw out a guess in the dark and say the painting is of Ken's bio dad since I'm expecting to learn more about him.

He's in red and white and his hair is spiky, I'm pretty sure it's Nek. Looking forward to the third scenario being Ark Couple vs Team Bizarro. I'm sure him and Sachiko would make a great couple! They can bond over murdering their dads and their inferiority complexes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Night10194 posted:

Ken's mom is awesome.

Yeah.

A real bright spot in this complete :psyduck: of a route, which is otherwise very entertaining, but uh

... what the hell

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I know that's her default expression at this point, but Sachiko's face in that cutscene is peak 'this crazy bastard needs to shut up'. She is so done with this nonsense.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think we should call the cops on Doctor Emory and also his medical license should be revoked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
...he doesn't have the Hitler stache in that art :(

This game continues to be absolutely wild and I'm enjoying the read.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...he doesn't have the Hitler stache in that art :(

Yeah the "führer" look was only introduced in the remake, the original just looked like your run of the mill mad scientist.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
So what happens if you try to pick Sachiko?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Item Getter posted:

So what happens if you try to pick Sachiko?

Not much, just some slightly different dialogue for a couple of sentences.

There's no branching plot in this game, all dialogue choices only change a bit the dialogue itself but the plot always proceeds the same way no matter what you choose.

The only "real" dialogue choice is when the girl at the beginning asks you if you want a dog or not. All the rest of them only change a bit what is being said, but the plot remains the same.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Night10194 posted:

Ken's mom is awesome.

:yeah:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ivantod posted:

"Sumire"! From today, you will be "Sumire"! Su-mi-re! This is your name now! Do you like it?
. . .
Right, speaking of which, this is the name of a character in an old anime! But you know, important things like names or marriages are best when decided on a hunch!

When I saw this, I was like, "Oh, what an apropos reference to the manga 'Sumire 16-sai!,' a manga about a puppet girl controlled by an old man!"

Except... the manga came out in 2006, years after the release date of even the Playstation version of Linda³, so I guess it's just a coincidence? A really good one?

(To be clear, Sumire 16-sai isn't about a robot, but a totally normal puppet, controlled by an aged ventriloquist, who uses her as a 'front' to have an ordinary high school girl's life. It's honestly super sweet and I like it a lot!

...The original run, Sumire 17-sai, is lackluster in comparison.)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Lee posted:

(To be clear, Sumire 16-sai isn't about a robot, but a totally normal puppet, controlled by an aged ventriloquist, who uses her as a 'front' to have an ordinary high school girl's life. It's honestly super sweet and I like it a lot!

...The original run, Sumire 17-sai, is lackluster in comparison.)

I'm sorry, but WHAT THE CHRIST? I dont even know where to begin with all of my questions about that sentence.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So does nobody notice the ventriloquist or what

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So does nobody notice the ventriloquist or what

the joke is that everybody notices the ventriloquist

and then through of combination of Sumire being an unrelenting force of good and the ventriloquist never breaking character, they eventually become just as dedicated to the kayfabe as he is

like was said, its surprisingly sweet given the elevator pitch

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nick Buntline posted:

the joke is that everybody notices the ventriloquist

and then through of combination of Sumire being an unrelenting force of good and the ventriloquist never breaking character, they eventually become just as dedicated to the kayfabe as he is

like was said, its surprisingly sweet given the elevator pitch

Can confirm, you hear the plot and, naturally, think 'there's no way this series can be anything but the creepiest poo poo ever', but it winds up being a very charming series. They focus more on the absurdity of the concept, so any potential horribleness winds up being bypassed completely and the end is sincere and very sweet.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome to the dramatic(?) finale of Scenario B! Last time, someone (again) kidnapped Linda from the hospital. It turned out to be the No. 1 and No. 2 clones, a.k.a. Sumire and Yoshiko, who apparently found a way to restore Linda's left arm via a surgery. In order to help out with that, Ken needs to go and bring four pieces of scorpion meat from the nearby cave!

As the clones have mentioned, we need to head a bit south from Garex...

...to this place here.

This place is called Sand Hole and there are definitely scorpions to be found here (among a couple of other species which we won't bother with today).

Hm, the colours are all wrong, but that definitely looks scorpion-shaped! Let's see...

They definitely look like scorpions, but as it turns out, unfortunately, they are fakes! The name of this enemy in the game is literally "fake scorpion". As with most other non-capturable species, these too are mostly a distraction which serves no real purpose. As you can see, they don't even have a gender designation on them, if you needed more indication that they are fake (if the name itself wasn't enough!).

Anyway, continuing down into the cave, you will eventually come to a place like this:

And here, in quicksand pits like this one, is where the real scorpions can be found!

Here are a few real ones, for a change! As you can see, the only difference from fake ones is the colour scheme and also the fact that these do have the gender designations. Well, also the name.

In any case, we need to capture at least four. I decide to capture two extra so that we can hand them in at the ark. It's not necessary as we already have the needed 50 species and also it doesn't give you any kind of an additional bonus, but since we're already doing it, why not, right?

Once that's done, we can head back outside. By the way, you have to use the run button to get out of the sand pit, so it does cost a couple of HP.

As before...

...we'll make camp with Ken and select for him the option to process meat. We'll process four of the scorpions into meat, as requested.

Coming back to Garex...

...we'll go straight to the bottom floor where the clones are. It appears that No. 2 (Yoshiko) has already been prepared for the surgery to remove her left arm and give it back to Linda, while No. 1 (Sumire) will be actually performing the surgery.

Ken handed over to Sumire four pieces of scorpion meat.

Ken, would you mind please to wait upstairs? Don't worry, we'll be done in no time! I'll call you as soon as the surgery is finished, so don't go anywhere.
Also... there is some interesting looking equipment upstairs. I've fixed it, and it looks like it contains some cryogenically preserved animals.

Ah, still more of those?

Aynway, Ken goes upstairs, and in fact even if he wanted to he can't leave because of those closed doors.

(from below) Three, two, one, go!

While we wait...

...we can check out this computer which wasn't operational previously.

TransCargo IN: Tree Frog ♀: 1, Tree Frog ♂: 1.

So the game basically gives you a total of three species for free, like in the previous scenario! This time it's harder to miss it since Sumire even directly tells you to check the equipment on the upper floor.

(from below) Three, two, one, go!
Man, it sounds like things are getting a bit out of hand down there...

Ken is walking around nervously...

(from below) Three, two, one, go! *sound of laser firing*
W-will it really be all ok? I hope it doesn't end up with her saying to me something like "I'm sorry, but..."

But soon enough...

...Sumire shows up to talk to Ken again. So at least now we'll find out what happened.

It was all because of the scorpion meat you brought! Also, Yoshiko helped during the process, which increased our speed by a factor of 1.5x.
Miss Linda should wake up soon! Let's head downstairs!

And here is the situation downstairs: Linda seems to have gotten her arm back, but of course Yoshiko now has only one. Of course, Linda's arm was transplanted on Yoshiko so that she could activate the ark with it, but what exactly happened with Yoshiko's original left arm? I guess we'll never know...

She's still not regained her consciousness, so feel free to do it wherever you like!
Hair / Forehead / Nose / Cheek / Ear / Lips / Neck / Hand.

You can choose whatever, but it makes no difference.

Ken presses his lips on Linda's <insert_chosen_option_here>

What were you planning to do! Even if you are Ken, I can't let this just go! With this arm of my daddy, I will...
......?
Hey, Ken... But... My arm...? Is this a dream?
Ken! Can you come over here for a sec...

He does...

And, finally, the Linda we all know and love is definitely back!

What? If you want to say something, then just say it! Hm?
[ We fixed your arm, now if we could only fix your personality... ] / Is it ok if I hit you back? / You've no idea what I've been through...

That is a very cute animation, no two ways about it.

It seems all sorts of things have happened while I was out of action! Tell me about it?

Ken explains to Linda everything that has happened in the meantime.

I think I understand everything now. Still, however... your mother is absolutely unbeatable! I want to be strong like that, too!

Then, finally, Sumire, who's been standing around during all this, approaches.

It's fine.
But, we... Your parents...
I said, that's enough. I'm not so nice like Ken's mother, and I'm not as strong either!
Ken! We've finished here what we came to do! Let's go home!

As we leave...

Don't worry about Yoshiko. She's just passed out because we only had enough anaestethic for Miss Linda. But don't worry about it since we're both used to it.

And with this, we can leave this place.

The lift, unfortunately, is out of action for some reason, so we have to take the stairs.

It all goes fine for a while, but...

...on floor no. 3, we unexpectedly run into Emory. Well, figures that he was not going to let this go so easily!

Oh! You've reattached your left arm, haven't you?
Well, no matter... because you aren't getting out of here alive anyway!

Sumire shows up suddenly!

Who are you to have the right to call me "father"! You're clearly defective! Get out of my sight!

I'm not even going to use any weapons! I will tear you apart purely with the strengh of my bare hands!
My precious Sachiko... Daddy will avenge your grudge now!
Shut it! You have no right to talk about any kind of grudge!

Well, I guess he's taken that parasite growth accelerant thingy! Also, I love how he just casually lights up in the middle of all this!

Time for a "boss" fight, it seems?

Indeed. Pretty cool design, I have to say.

The fight itself, though, is much easier than the one with Hume, mainly because he just doesn't do a huge amount of damage. Also, there was almost double the amount of capturing to be done in this scenario, so you will naturally be a higher level, making it even easier.

We can start by transforming both our characters into the strongerst animal they are able to. For Linda this is rabbit with +48 in attack power and for Ken, it's still the eagle which at this point brings a crazy +131 to his attack!

Ken's attack easily does nearly 200 HP damage to him (and he only has 800 HP total to begin with!).

Eventually, he'll summon a bunch of these parasite tentacles on the sides... but just deal with them, they pose no huge threat.

He doesn't exactly fight just with his bare hands, as you can see here!

But regardless, this is soon over.

Didn't I tell you that I always do everything I can and the best I can?
Three, two, one, go!

He creates a big explosion which causes the rubble to collapse on the stairway!

I've rigged this whole place with explosives and I've blocked all the exits! I'll be waiting for you in hell!

Well, we can't get past the ankle-high rubble, so, instead...

...let's check on Sumire.

Oh hey, she's still alive!

Also she morphs into her robot form!

Both of you, stand back please!
Tree, two, one, fire!

She causes another explosion...

...which eliminates the rubble!

And back to her normal form.

Also, in Hospico...
No, it doesn't matter any more. Thank you for everything, Ken.
Now you should go!

And so, Linda and Ken make their way back out.

And then...

...another explosion...

...finally destroys this place, once and for all. Unfortunately at the cost of Yoshiko and Sumire sacrificing themselves.

That comment about Hospico is interesting, though. It seems there is still a bit more of this plot to unravel, so we'll get to that in just a moment.

In the meantime we should make camp with Linda, since she has something to say.

If you were in the same position as Dr. Emory... I mean... If your daughter had killed herself and you had enough power to clone her and carry out your revenge... Do you think you would have done the same?
Yes. / No.
I thought so.

No difference here either no matter what you choose.

Well then, let's head to Dogy Figh via this tunnel. It is definitely a pain that in the south area there's really only one place with Bird Line facilities, but what can you do.

There's actually these two people here in the tunnel which we haven't really talked to, but they actually have some interesting things to say! First this guy here.

That botanist, Flora, she has a pretty face, but she's a real piece of work... She throws away all her research failures into the forest at B-14 to keep them out of the public eye! I mean, she lives in Hospico, so why does she have to throw away her rubbish down here anyway?

And the other guy.

The locals refer to that scum who only shows up when others are vulnerable and takes advantage of their weakness as... "kangaroos"!

So... those are both hints that we'll have to take a look in the next scenario for sure. Especially interesting is the second one which seems to indicate a way to get kangaroos to appear so they can be caught. So we'll try to figure out what it means soon enough. But for now, let's be on our way. We have an ark to launch (after we finish the last few bits of cleanup, of course!).

As we walk through the tunnel, we get another notification of a message. What could it possibly be at this point in time?

In the Dogy Figh entrance area, we can read the latest news bulletin.

N.K. News Bulletin

A new explosion in Garex!

The Ozsat meteorology department has announced that a small explosion has been detected in the vicinity of C-21 location. Experts believe that the explosion was caused by some transformation in the unrecovered explosive material in Garex.

Well, that's one way to put it, I guess.

Since we're right next to the phone, let's also check the message...

Hello! Do you know who this is? It's the real Sachiko Emory. I just woke up a few minutes ago and we have a lot to talk about... don't we?
For the time being I'm in rehab in Hospico. I've been asleep for so long that I've lost use of my muscles... I can't even go to the toilet on my own, it's just pathetic.
Well, I look forward to seeing you soon. Bye bye.

The "real" Sachiko? Could it really be? Well, Sumire did also mention something about Hospico, so there's definitely something going on.

First, though, let's head over to Ken's house in Hardia.

Ken's mum and Ben are here...

Although this has caused some delay to the Escape Project, at least now we can hope that this will be the last of this matter and that we can look forward to a happy end!

Depends for whom...

But, they said they loved me and Ken and Linda and everyone else... That's the only thing that brings me some relief. Nothing makes me happier than when people love other people.
Sumire, Yoshiko... I'm glad I gave both of you names... So we'll always have the names to remember you by.

As always, Ken's mum stays awesome. That was a nice little optional scene, but now let's head out.

First, we'll stop by the ark to hand in those few remaining animals: anglerfish, cobras and tree frogs which we got from the cryogenic storage, and also a pair of scorpions that we ended up having as extras.

So that brings us to a total of 54 out of required 50. As mentioned, we didn't need to bother handing in those last four, but since we were already here, why not, right?

While we're outside, one last overnight camp with Linda, at least for now.

Hey Ken. Do you think we'll have more kisses until we die that there are stars we can see from here?
Ken! You're definitely getting better at this lately! 🎔

I love these little bits! However, now is the time to finally head over to Hospico and find out what's going on.

While we're here, we can still talk to a couple of people we missed before who have something a bit interesting to say.

Like this gentleman here...

The balance of an animal's body is a mechanism that works in truly interesting ways. For example... life threatening stress can boost libido and significantly increase fertility rates, thus proving an evolutionary stimulus. In this sense, since the human species has prevailed over the other species and thus won the interspecies "contest"... in a way it has reached and evolutionary dead end.

Very interesting, and it ties in into the whole backstory of this game, how humans started exploring deep space and arrived on this planet to begin with! We should try to find out more about this at some point.

This guy here has no "lore" for us, but he IS very funny.

While waiting to se a doctor, you might sometimes get other more serious ilnesses! That's the real thrill of the hospital waiting room! Today I've got 5 wins, 2 losses and 4 draws so far, so I guess that's not too bad, right?

All right, now let's head over to that one hospital room that always gets used when a game's character is hospitalised!

Well, that surely looks like yet another Sachiko! Let's see.

I'm Sachiko Emory and I'm going to tell you the truth now.

But... Isn't the real Sachiko dead?

Just like No. 1 and No. 2 I am also a clone. After the real Sachiko committed suicide, she was in a vegetative state for a while, but then one day we found out that she'd died.
We drew lots which one of us will take her place... because we felt sorry for father.

Just so he would think that she's still alive? This is all so incredibly messed up.

I guess it's all over now, isn't it?
I've tried to resonate my thoughts, but I can't feel anything from No. 1 and No. 2.
The last thing I felt from No. 1 was a soft, warm vibration. If I had to try and put it into words, I suppose it would have been something like "I love you" or "thank you".
So, that's about it... I have something else I want to talk to you about, Ken, but maybe another time as I'm a bit tired now...

No, you can't just... We're about to take off with the ark!

However, nothing we can do. Let's just go then.

But as we do...

Oh, good.

But... If it's ok, I would like Linda to leave the room for a moment.
[ It's fine. ] / That will not be possible.
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, no problem! So, I'll wait in front of the room then!

She goes outside. Also, this is one of the dialogue choices which do make a difference. If Ken chooses the second option above, then this following conversation doesn't happen and he and Linda just leave.

So let's hear what this is all about.

I'm sorry about this... but I think it's better to keep this between the two of us.

Waitwaitwait! Where is this coming from now? In this Scenario B, Ken certainly has no knowledge of any kind of a twin brother!

Yeah, I did. / [ No I didn't. ]
No! You did have one! How can I be so sure? I will explain it to you now. Listen carefully and try not to be surprised, ok.
Your brother... we would not exist, were it not for him. So he's almost our real "father"! We were "born" of him!

What the HECK are you even talking about!

Some years ago, a few of the old-model clones went to the West Area to investigate.

Reminder, West Area is where the abandoned Beastian town of Koshikata is, and where we had met Nek in Scenario B. Also I still maintain it should be called North Area instead. Anyway, sorry for the interruption here.

Some years ago, a few of the old-model clones were sent by father to the West Area to investigate. One of the clones found him, and thought, being dead he was also riddled with bacteria like everyone else. But... he wasn't! He was miraculously clean, while all other bodies were rotting and in various states of decay.
They even found some unknown enzymes in his body, but could never fully figure it out. Then, father thought that he might try to clone and re-create him. He failed in that, but when he integrated Sachiko's genes on a cellular level, he was able to produce a working prototype.
You're looking at it!

A lie, huh? Yes, I'm sure you made up this very specific elaborate story just to mess with Ken. Absolutely. Not to mention, that portrait in Sachiko's room, which we have some vague idea might also be of Nek!

Also, what a thing to drop on us, just minutes before the end! Good one, game. Good one.

I'm also pretty sure you can entirely miss this conversation if you don't come here before taking off with the ark. Remember that Linda's arm is healed, so nothing is stopping you!

Anyway, Sachiko is not yet done talking to us.

Ahahaha this thing again!

Let me see here, what shall we choose?

*kiss* That is for No. 1.
*kiss* This one is for No. 2.
*kiss* And the last one... is for me!

We're still not done here.

Good person. / Bad person.

Man, this conversation is like "the greatest hits of Sachiko(s)". But we are actually done now finally.

I see. Well, let's leave it at that for now. I enjoyed our conversation today!

All right, let's see now, Linda is probably getting annoyed by now!

Well, all right. I guess I will let it go for this time, out of respect for Sumire and Yoshiko.

Before we leave Hospico, there's just one last thing we can do.

Go over to Panheim's lab and talk to his assistant.

I was quite surprised when Sachiko suddenly emerged out of that pod there! I always knew there was something strange about that girl...

So I guess this is where they kept her while in a vegetative state and where the switch happened with the clone.

All righty, that's everything. It's time to head to the ark!

Before we go up, here's where everything ended up level-wise with our two characters:

Now, let's make our way up to the control room.

But getting there...

...somehow Emory drops out of somewhere!

Well then.

What nonsense are you even saying! The nerve of this geezer. And also, Sachiko is...

Suddenly...

...one of the Sachikos shows up from somewhere.

She takes him...

...and starts dragging him away to another part of the ark. Ken and Linda follow.

S-stop! No. 2!

Ah, so Yoshiko/No. 2 somehow survived the explosion!

C-Mode activate! Three, two, one, go!
S-stupid! Get off me! Sachiko!

She jumps off together with him.

And being that C-Mode is the self-destruct mode, they both explode together on their way down!

Sa... Sachi... ko.

Let me quote myself: "Well then." At least the third clone still lives.

But, there is definely nothing else left to do now but to take off! So let's go back to the control room door.

[ Yes. ] / No.
All right! On three, we put we're going to put our hands on this panel here to open the door!
Here we go! One and two and... three!

Inside...

...of course we need to activate the console, as always.

[ Now is good. ] / Let me think about that...
Is it really ok?
[ How many times are you going to ask? ] / Let me think about that...

Of course, we have no reason to turn back as we've done all we needed to do already.

And well, it's take off time!

[Photosensitivity Warning: The following video features brief instances of rapid flashing.]

Well, the song is different from last time! But seriously, this is the second and last time with this kind of ending.

About the song, this one is called "Linda's Song", and as before, is performed by Linda's voice actress, Minami Takayama. Also, as before, an alternate version was recorded for the soundtrack CD which was included in the Sega Saturn version. That one is, still as before, performed by Ryouko Kihara, who composed the music for this game:

And so, here we are.

I know what you're thinking. Not only was not much of this planet's mysteries even touched upon, but we even have more of them added to the list! For example...
- What is the whole story about Ken's father?
- What is the deal with Minago, anyway? We never really get to do anything there as it always gets annihilated. We also never got to hear much of that story that the animal expert in Minago was going to tell us!
- What is the whole story about Nek and this cloning stuff that we just now heard from Sachiko?
- What is the deal with those blue teleporters we never really figured out?
- What is the deal with the strange status we saw in dungeons around the teleporters?
- What is the deal with the Beastian Elder dude?
- What is the deal with the dog fighting arena owner and his weird family?
- What is the deal with that kid whose father works away but in reality is actually divorced from his mother?
- What is the deal with the mythical snow beast? (Yeah I know you forgot this one, it was back in Scenario A!)
- What is the deal with this whole planed to begin with?
- And the most important one... will Sachiko ever stop being utterly perplexing?

...and many, many more, including a whole bunch of heretofore unexplored game mechanics!

Well. Not to get ahead of myself, but I'll just say this. Scenario C is (more than) a little bit different from the first two. But we'll get into that next time (No tease this time, it's time to start delivering on the promises!).

Until then, take care!

Today, a couple of storyboards from recently seen cutscenes:

And then a bit of a, shall we say, risky one of Linda, from the PC Engine era:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 9, 2022

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Awww, dang. I knew bad things would happen to the clones but I hoped I was wrong.

Looking forward to Scenario C!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
This game never ceases to be wild incredibly normal.

Looking forward to seeing how Scenario C shakes things up!

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

I'm so incredibly confused. That whole update was a lot. I can only hope scenario C explains things, but I doubt it will. The ending being identical to the A ending just feels entirely on brand for this game's kind of insanity, too.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
That's a shame, I was hoping at least one of the Sachikos would wind up joining them on the ship.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, that all happened. :confuoot:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That was actually kind of freaky how they did the arm transplant without anesthesia for Yoshiko. But uh good on her for being able to drag away Emory with only one arm.

Poor No. 3 though. She doesn't have her sisters or Ken's mom.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That's a lot of info to drop and not actually finish right at an ending.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Well, if I wasn't confused before... (I was confused before). It actually does feel there is a plan to this thing... not waiting on an explanation, though. Looking forward to Scenario C, which from what little I know is totally ordinary, even relative to what's already happened.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Queen of Enforcing Consent

Also someone needs to tell Dr. Hitler that "monster scientist pops up again right at the end after seemingly being defeated" was supposed to happen in the Evil Pharmaceutical Company plotline. It's like he's never even played a Resident Evil title.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Hypocrisy posted:

Poor No. 3 though. She doesn't have her sisters or Ken's mom.

It's fine. Planetary extinction event by meteorite happened shortly after.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ivantod posted:

If you were in the same position as Dr. Emory... I mean... If your daughter had killed herself and you had enough power to clone her and carry out your revenge... Do you think you would have done the same?

well when you spell it all out like that, linda, no, that seems like a very specific reaction. how would the cloning even help? and why would they secretly look like ant people with laser-hands? and wait a minute, i remember now, are you asking if i would have killed your parents as revenge for having you, who beat out my imagined daughter for something she wanted?!

oh, no, it's a normal question, i see why you'd ask.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Sum Gai posted:

Well, if I wasn't confused before... (I was confused before). It actually does feel there is a plan to this thing... not waiting on an explanation, though. Looking forward to Scenario C, which from what little I know is totally ordinary, even relative to what's already happened.
There will definitely be explanations. We still have a large chunk of the game left to play, so no worries on that front.

Of course, everything in this game is completely ordinary and normal. How else?

Hypocrisy posted:

But uh good on her for being able to drag away Emory with only one arm.
This is actually one of my favourite "attention to details" moments so far. If you look carefully at the screenshots where she's dragging her father, you can see that the sprite indeed has only one arm (the right one)! In general, I think the character sprites (and their animations) in this game are absolutely top notch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dr. Hitler turning into Dr. Mega Hitler is absolutely what I wanted out of this scenario, the devs deliver.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I love how this game continues to make me go "what the hell just happened"

I remember the innocent days of thinking wow those animal designs are pretty weird, or the meat walls of the ark were pretty weird. How little I knew...

thanks for keeping this going, ivantod, this is an incredible experience

e: still can't get over the literally wood ark/spaceship/time-travel device where they just casually pop open a clearly not air-tight wooden hatch in outer space and it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ivantod posted:

This is actually one of my favourite "attention to details" moments so far. If you look carefully at the screenshots where she's dragging her father, you can see that the sprite indeed has only one arm (the right one)! In general, I think the character sprites (and their animations) in this game are absolutely top notch.

I did notice that. I totally agree on the animations. Did the Emory fight have anything? I liked the Hume boss fight video for the Hume attack animations.