Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Farking Bastage posted:

Looks like the BBC has reverted to its WW2 mode of operation.

from a big HAM guy I know.

This loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Not seriously? :stare:

I'm with you on all of that.

I've seen it a bit, but never enough to stand out. I typically use avatars to sort out who is saying what, and often don't even look at them all the time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
maybe the Russians can use HAM radio to communicate with their secret space force

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Alan Smithee posted:

maybe the Russians can use HAM radio to communicate with their secret space force

All the Ukranians smartly shut theirs down, lest they get themselves triangulated and turned into a small crater.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Isn't this the UK's dead mans signal?

If the Vanguard class ssbn on patrol can't hear it, they open the safe and get the PM "Letter of Last Resort"?

I can't imagine the letter being anything more than "lol good job being the last survivors lads, do what you want, because we're all dead"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MRC48B posted:

If the Vanguard class ssbn on patrol can't hear it, they open the safe and get the PM "Letter of Last Resort"?

No, that's the ordinary BBC Home Service radio broadcast.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Was wondering how long it was going to take before every western broadcaster started to pump as many KW toward Ukraine and Russia as possible.

Hopefully more join in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If the bombs fall, just remember to close the A/C vents on your car if you're driving through an active fallout area. :downs:

(this is in an actual passage in Arc Light)

Hey Arc Light! Eric L Harry’s pretty drat good look at what the actual nuclear conflict would be like. I remember I couldn’t find the book in the US in the late 90s and I actually emailed the author and his wife was super nice and sent me a copy.

Invasion on the other hand is a really goofy goofy thing filled with a lot of sex and the Chinese invading the US and honestly I’m underselling the insanity of it.

Kind of want many to find out we have some Sir General John Hackett fans here too. :)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hey Arc Light! Eric L Harry’s pretty drat good look at what the actual nuclear conflict would be like. I remember I couldn’t find the book in the US in the late 90s and I actually emailed the author and his wife was super nice and sent me a copy.

Invasion on the other hand is a really goofy goofy thing filled with a lot of sex and the Chinese invading the US and honestly I’m underselling the insanity of it.

Kind of want many to find out we have some Sir General John Hackett fans here too. :)

I've never read Arc Light but I've read Invasion half a dozen times and love it even if it is incredibly stupid schlock* (the entire notion of the US being so isolationist as to let it's military get kneecapped by China and be forced to sit back and watch them conquer most of the world was ludicrous when it was written, and entirely unfathomable post 9/11).

The president's 18 year old daughter refusing to go to safety and volunteering for the Army and rising from private to captain is some video game poo poo and I am here for it.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 6, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Was wondering how long it was going to take before every western broadcaster started to pump as many KW toward Ukraine and Russia as possible.

Hopefully more join in.

Duga rises from its feculent grave.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basticle posted:

I've never read Arc Light but I've read Invasion half a dozen times and love it even if it is incredibly stupid schlock* (the entire notion of the US being so isolationist as to let it's military get kneecapped by China and be forced to sit back and watch them conquer most of the world was ludicrous when it was written, and entirely unfathomable post 9/11).

The president's 18 year old daughter refusing to go to safety and volunteering for the Army and rising from private to captain is some video game poo poo and I am here for it.

Hell yeah, it was a fun read, despite it being bathsit insane.
Let’s not forget the total nuking of Israel. The secret plot to go full nuclear war and the special ops agent running around gassing Chinese soldiers. It was a fun read though granted the sex scenes are always weird, but at least not like George RR Martin weird

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

stealie72 posted:

Hopefully more join in.

How long until Russia makes possession of a HAM Radio and/or listening to the feed punishable by a trip to the Gulag?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I need to stop spending every waking moment reading about this war. My brain is starting to feel like a fried egg. What a complete horror show.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I need to stop spending every waking moment reading about this war. My brain is starting to feel like a fried egg. What a complete horror show.

People will probably scoff at this but I felt a similar sort of psychosis this past week. I’d never used Twitter before and had installed it a couple days before it all went down.

Basically watched everything happen in real time faster than the news could report on it. Every time I looked I was only more horrified at what I saw and had to come back and check in constantly. After a few days I started getting some constant chest tightness and heart palpitations even when I was trying not to think about it all.

The war is hosed up and bad, but checking in on it constantly is not doing anything for anyone and in the worst case might actually hurt your mental health.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

How long until Russia makes possession of a HAM Radio and/or listening to the feed punishable by a trip to the Gulag?

I believe they tried this in the USSR and it worked about as well as you'd expect.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I believe they tried this in the USSR and it worked about as well as you'd expect.

It was literally a capital offense in Nazi occupied areas but everyone did it anyway

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Just as an aside, that's a brilliant username/post combo :v:

poo poo is real bad, though. And only going to get worse.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, the west was broadcasting into the Iron Curtain for 45 years. Hard to outlaw radios. Though I wonder how many people under 35 or so still have radios.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

They’re trivial to make compared to modern electronics

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Find some time to relax and log off from everything for a while.
This war isnt going anywhere anytime soon sadly. :(

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Stealing this from somewhere else:

You being miserable doesn’t make the victims better. It’s ok to not look.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A Festivus Miracle posted:

On top of that, Russia turning off the gas pipes to get back at the Europeans hits Russia way, way harder than it hits Europe. You can't derive a third of your government income from natural gas and then stop letting your biggest customer buy.

The :ussr: equivalent of Owning The Libs while unknowingly self-owning.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Naramyth posted:

Stealing this from somewhere else:

You being miserable doesn’t make the victims better. It’s ok to not look.

Yeah ^ and if anything it's actively counter productive. Just staring into the firehose doesn't even really give much insight into anything other than the nature of unfiltered information firehoses.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

i highly, highly recommend not just basting your brain in war twitter or telegram or w/e. I especially recommend not doing it for long periods of time and particularly not for every waking moment. If you're going to still do it, do it for a set amount of time each day and go do something absorbing afterwards, whether it's playing with your kid or dog or getting lost in video games or some poo poo. I promise you that you are not missing any meaningful developments by not refreshing twitter/threads and tbh you'll probably actually gain way more useful information and insight by just waiting a couple of days to read up on stuff because like 95% of the poo poo coming out is bullshit or mislabeled or mischaracterized in some significant way.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s Anonymous…so ymmv.

https://twitter.com/youranonnews/status/1500613013510008836?s=21

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, the west was broadcasting into the Iron Curtain for 45 years. Hard to outlaw radios. Though I wonder how many people under 35 or so still have radios.

This phenomenon (listening to western broadcasts behind the Iron Curtain) is the subject of the Rammstein song “Radio”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

stealie72 posted:

every car??

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A good point I didn't think of regarding people yelling about why we don't give the Ukranians real-time intel:

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1500640414835126274

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Car radios typically don't reach into the shortwave bands, I thought?

quote:

BBC sending out a STRONG signal with the news on 15.735 mhz.

AM radios are around 0.5mhz~1.5mhz, then FM tends to be around 85mhz~108mhz typically. You'd need an actual shortwave radio.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Car radios typically don't reach into the shortwave bands, I thought?

AM radios are around 0.5mhz~1.5mhz, then FM tends to be around 85mhz~108mhz typically. You'd need an actual shortwave radio.

Some European and Asian domestic market spec vehicles include radios that receive shortwave bands.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

A good point I didn't think of regarding people yelling about why we don't give the Ukranians real-time intel:

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1500640414835126274

https://twitter.com/Sr0bi/status/1500645598495657988?t=wG2VEVUFO3ZGaVgKW9fA3Q&s=19

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

Some European and Asian domestic market spec vehicles include radios that receive shortwave bands.

My understanding is that it's basically just us new worlders that mostly gave up on listening to shortwave.

Shortwave and longwave are friggin cool and I've been enjoying listening to weird broadcasts around the world using WebSDR lately. I have a USB SDR module but I can't put up a giant-rear end antenna on my balcony so I can't hear much other than local radio.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I can't imagine the letter being anything more than "lol good job being the last survivors lads, do what you want, because we're all dead"

"Avenge us" is, IIRC, the sum total of the only such letter made PD.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

IPCRESS posted:

"Avenge us" is, IIRC, the sum total of the only such letter made PD.

Which country?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which country?

That was evidently the only thing in the Letter of Last Resort under Thatcher.

It's an urban legend, though - all of the Letters are ritualistically burned unopened.

MRC48B posted:

Not immediately. BBC 4 actually *did* go off air recently and there was some fanfare about it. There are other criteria that need to be met in order for the Letter to be opened.

Another scary thought? There are no launch codes for the British SSBNs. The Captain and First Officer have principal control over the missiles and warheads. If there's no PM, there's no one to issue the launch orders.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 7, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So after all the launches and when they finally run out of food, the various nations' nuke sub guys all meet up somewhere remote like Antarctica and hang out and BBQ and poo poo?

Actually, I'd read that intersection of Clancy and sci-fi.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Clancy was the biggest armchair general there ever was so your guess is as good as his

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stealie72 posted:

So after all the launches and when they finally run out of food, the various nations' nuke sub guys all meet up somewhere remote like Antarctica and hang out and BBQ and poo poo?

Actually, I'd read that intersection of Clancy and sci-fi.

That’s the book “On the beach” but it’s New Zealand. It makes Threads look optimistic.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s the book “On the beach” but it’s New Zealand. It makes Threads look optimistic.

That was Australia and that book brings a dude to tears every time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TheWeedNumber posted:

That was Australia and that book brings a dude to tears every time.

The bit where anAussie is outraged that the rabbits will outlive humanity is both devastating and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh, right, they were wondering if going to New Zealand would buy them an extra couple of months of life.