Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/bOC8UgK.mp4

Our ducks are crazy. We moved the heated water bowl and they immediately made a mud puddle and are swimming in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I love the happy stamping.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

my cat is norris posted:

Tonight I did a workplace virtual hangout and paint thing, and I thought of Avshalom's paintings, so I did my own version of my birds.

This is incredible :kimchi: :love:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Joburg posted:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Joburg posted:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nova celebrated her one year anniversary of being a retired garden hen yesterday.

Many snacks were had by all.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That there is one grand hen. Keep on, Nova.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

General Tso did not like being picked up

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 13 days!)

the whole internet fiasco has been worth it for this one thread

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

beautiful birds :love:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Just sneaking in to say... :henget:

Chickam 2022 will be Easter weekend, April 16-17! :woop:

This is our 14th year of broadcasting Chickam, this year we'll be hatching mostly our own eggs, plus I'm getting some from a couple of local kids who are trying to earn money selling eggs. :)

As always, we'll be doing our webcast on our YouTube channel, it won't go live until the hatch has begun, so if you tune in and see EGGS, the hatch is on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iMWhoO42w

I'll post updates on our Chickam Twitter account
https://twitter.com/chickam2008

Be prepared with weird chicken names! :derp:When the hatch starts, I'll post a link here to the GBS Chickam thread.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Finally some good news in the world.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

YES

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Chickam, yay!!

Rose isn’t a cam kind of girl, she was very irritated that I took her picture, but some of her chicks hatched today! She had 4 eggs and they were all developing when I checked on Sunday. I gave the other 3 eggs of the 7 that she started with to a neighbor whose broody hen was on dud eggs for a MONTH. That poor hen deserves some babies after all of that work! Fingers crossed all 7 eggs hatch.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First duck egg!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Just sneaking in to say... :henget:

This is our 14th year of broadcasting Chickam, this year we'll be hatching mostly our own eggs, plus I'm getting some from a couple of local kids who are trying to earn money selling eggs. :)

As always, we'll be doing our webcast on our YouTube channel, it won't go live until the hatch has begun, so if you tune in and see EGGS, the hatch is on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5iMWhoO42w

I'll post updates on our Chickam Twitter account
https://twitter.com/chickam2008

Be prepared with weird chicken names! :derp:When the hatch starts, I'll post a link here to the GBS Chickam thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G0stojwYjI

Chickens!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

god i just love how happy ducks look at all times

There were bantam chickies at Tractor Supply today. So tempting!!! They're so cute!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My wife is already tempted to start the chicken math since tractor supply got sexed barred rocks in.

Chicken story:

I had to bake some cakes today and I needed twelve eggs. We have been eating a lot of eggs lately so we only had ten. I panicked a bit before suddenly laughing at myself, going outside, and collecting for the day.

(I also took them some veggies for a treat)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yooper posted:

First duck egg!

The gang is back in town :c00l:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We're going to get back on the chicken wagon this year! We're looking at one of the resin plastic coops, since our previous wood one was garbage and needed constant repairs. Also a walk in run with wire mesh to prevent another racoon incident. Going to get hardware cloth and bury it around the edge to avoid a dig through.

We're going to get six this time, and a variety instead of all buff orps. The store has their chick list and we'll get one of each: golden laced Wyandotte, lavender orp, olive egger, light brahma, cuckoo marans, and a Rhode Island blue. Should make for a pretty flock!

Technically our permit from the city only allows us three based on our lot size, but our neighbors have five and their lot is smaller than ours. Add in our privacy fence and the fact that nobody ever checks once the permit goes out. Should be good!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

MrUnderbridge posted:

We're going to get six this time, and a variety instead of all buff orps. The store has their chick list and we'll get one of each: golden laced Wyandotte, lavender orp, olive egger, light brahma, cuckoo marans, and a Rhode Island blue. Should make for a pretty flock!

Good choices there. :henget:

We got our first duck egg today!

And Rose ended up hatching 3 chicks. One didn’t make it so she had 1 boy and 1 girl cream legbar, gotta love those auto sexing breeds!

This is Rose’s third brood and every time she has weaned her chicks very early, like after 3 weeks, so we went to tractor supply and got 4 buff Orpington chicks to add to her twosome. They were confused about the lack of a heat lamp for a while but now they know to go under Rose to keep warm. When she inevitably leaves them to return to the flock they will all be able to keep each other company.

https://youtu.be/ZFcjDOHy0S8
Pardon the annoying guineas.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Good work, Rose!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

she looks so content. cute babies!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rose is awesome, the best mama hen.

https://twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1022896542569689088?t=l13cWcEFa5igc7cynSVqug&s=03

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i have two young ravens who are menacing my yard right now. one is more amenable to humans than the other. they've got surprisingly expressive faces with their big blue eyes - they'll both dive on my quail right in front of me, when i interrupt them the wild one goes :catstare: and the tamer one goes :kiddo:. it's so hard not to reward their bad behaviour just for being so cute.

I can't even begin to put into words how envious I feel right now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.zulily.com/p/green-polka-dot-egg-gathering-apron-551736-88698965.html?tid=googmpla_1851308306_70503798675_88698966_zcvp2_US

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have two egg aprons with rad designs on them. Gifts from my mother and my oldest daughter. I take them out if I miss collecting eggs for a day because they build up

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

since we only have 5 pullets i just put eggs in my sweatshirt pocket but i know someday i'm gonna forget and it will be unfortunate

today we got 5 eggs, plus one bonus shell-less egg i found on the ground when i was shooing them towards bed. i guess someone just couldn't wait until tomorrow

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I forgot to collect eggs one day recently, and I learned that if you have two hands full of precariously balanced eggs, you cannot then try use those hands to catch a falling egg without causing complete carnage.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Enfys posted:

I forgot to collect eggs one day recently, and I learned that if you have two hands full of precariously balanced eggs, you cannot then try use those hands to catch a falling egg without causing complete carnage.

:rip:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

oh no

did the hens see it...?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

LOL, been there.

I got my first Guinea egg today!

And the crazy Guinea hen kicked the other eggs out of the nest box and broke two.

I hope she figures out how to lay like a normal bird soon.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Joburg posted:

I got my first Guinea egg today!

And the crazy Guinea hen kicked the other eggs out of the nest box and broke two.

I hope she figures out how to lay like a normal bird soon.
:allears: guinea egg season was a trip. our guineas all bonded into pairs, and one of the top roosters would go mad when his mate was on the lay and run around violently kicking all the chooks out of their nests. i kept stopping him, and when he didn't find a good nest, his mate left him for three (!) younger roosters and he had to pair up with a black australorp for about six months until another guinea hen would give him a go

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

the ravens now expect to be given some grain every morning at the same time as the quail, and if i don't, they stand at the back door and croak at me

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

We're back up to getting 7-8 eggs a day here, they've apparently decided now is good enough to get back into the swing of things. Fingers crossed we'll get all 10 in one day this year

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the ravens now expect to be given some grain every morning at the same time as the quail, and if i don't, they stand at the back door and croak at me

an unsteady alliance is being formed

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
We had more snow this morning.

Don't worry, they have a dry spot to scratch.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 12, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We have family #2! Fauna hatched the two leghorn mix chicks and we got her some feed store chicks too. She’s a great mama so far.

https://youtu.be/KD4UBoLzvVU

Rose is still doing a great job too. Today she two-foot kicked one of the guineas who got too close to her chicks, it was impressive! The Guinea actually backed off, which was a surprise.