Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Beat the game yesterday. Loved it. Will definitely NG+ it and get the DLC's when they drop. I'm hoping they involve Elysium and/or CYAN in some capacity.

Spoiler for the final quest - When Beta unleashed HEPHESTUS into Far Zenith's gray goo machine factory, I yelled "WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, MOTHERFUCKERS" watching the Slaughterspines and Thunderjaws tearing poo poo up. It felt like Zero Dawn proving their way was better than Far Zenith's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Space Racist posted:

ENDGAME SPOILER CHAT CONT'D

I'm not sure I'd call 'hinted at in missable audio/text logs' as 'steadily built up', but that's not my key point. I just feel there's a lot of wasted potential narrative tension if we had learned earlier that the Zeniths were in fact fleeing from Nemesis and slowly revealed that weren't inherently out to reboot the Earth.

You could even have a tragic arc of the Zeniths believing Aloy is too 'primitive' to understand their fears and goals, while Aloy is being misled by Sylens' half-truths and omissions into thinking they're out to torch Earth to throw Nemesis off their trail, setting up a tragic realization that they could have worked together to defeat Nemesis. I don't know, I think there are so many more interesting/complex angles the story could have gone than just the one-note Zeniths that we got. That may not jive with any perceived anti-capitalist angles, but I'm still of the belief that the Zenith story arc is a huge wasted opportunity.

After all, it's not as if the game is afraid of granting deeper characterization to the Quen, and showing that not everyone in the culture is on board with their reverence of ancient corporate buffoons. Meanwhile, a group of people that have survived a thousand years, traveled over a dozen light years in total, and survived two cataclysms (the latter entirely of their own making) somehow can't have any room for reflection or doubt? Alternately, there's inherently no reason they had to be the exact same people that left on the original mission, as having the Zeniths be descendants of the original colonists would wipe away any potential bad tastes about billionaire assholes Erik and Gerard having a redemption arc.

Admittedly I don't know how the narrative of this game fits into the full picture of their third game's planned narrative, but the whole thing still feels clumsy to me.

I think it is precisely because they are 1000 years old that they have no room for reflection or doubt. They're too set in their ways, have too much inertia behind them, to even consider for a moment that they might ever have been wrong. It's specifically pointed out that their lives in VR have made them more and more detached from reality, and they can't even conceive of a world that doesn't bend over backwards to service them. Now, could they have been made more sympathetic? Probably. But that is the exact opposite of the themes of the series, where rich idiots like Ted Faro have ruined everything for everyone and will continue to ruin things forever. You said that the latter cataclysm was of their own making, but I think the narrative believes that both cataclyms were. Because these are the same sort of people who ruined Earth the first time, and then proceeded to ruin their new home in an amusingly similar fashion (runaway AI), thus proving that they have not learned a single lesson. A bunch of sympathetic refugees from another planet would have been a completely different story and not really aligned with any themes of Zero Dawn that I'm aware of? At best we'd just get more people like Beta, the emancipated slaves of the Zeniths.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm trying to imagine a version of the game where the Zeniths' characters were more fleshed out, and while I don't think that necessarily would be a bad thing, I don't think it would have enhanced my enjoyment of the story. Both narratively and thematically, Forbidden West concludes that the Zeniths and their ilk were unimportant -- cowards who benefited from the status quo until they irreversibly ruined the planet, desperate to insert themselves back into world affairs, and bringing untold collateral damage to Earth's inhabitants that we now have to deal with, but not worth our time or admiration. I think the game builds toward this position from almost the very beginning, where we learn that Far Zenith weren't the best and brightest the world had to offer, but mostly just those who could afford to poach Zero Dawn scientists and buy their ticket aboard the Odyssey. We learn that they weren't even interested in preserving the human race since the Odyssey Project was rebooted back in the 2050s, changing their priorities from ectogenic chambers to life extension techniques. Because of this, I think it would have betrayed the totality and sacrifice of Project Zero Dawn for some rich megalomaniacs to come back and offer Aloy their assistance. There was nothing they could teach her, and ultimately, they deserved their fate for fleeing Earth in its hour of darkness instead of helping. They could have used their technology to reproduce, to create a stronger humanity, but when granted immortality and unlimited resources, their culture stagnated. And unlike the Quen, they don't have the benefit of ignorance or incomplete information clouding their judgment.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think perhaps a more general point is that Ted Faro is not an aberration. He is a symptom of a culture that rewards narcistic psychopaths with money and power. You cannot fix society just by taking down a single Ted Faro, you need to change society itself so it stops creating them. The Far Zeniths represent the people unwilling to take that step, to remove the rot at the core, so they could continue on with the status quo at best they could.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a way to turn off Aloy's constant hints? I'm getting tired of hearing "I should use my focus here" every 5 minutes.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
My partner gets annoyed at me for listening to every rumor, but he changed his tune when he saw I had all the salvage camps quest markers on the map.

Also I firegleam opened a wall and there was a Burrower just adorably chilling with his head popping out of the ground (until he registered I was an enemy and attacked me). 9/10 because there no option to pet his face

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is there any special trigger to unlock Apex Slaughterspines? All the tricks I used for spawning the rest of the Apexes I needed don’t seem to be working here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked the Talanah sidequest. In the end nothing is really resolved and nobody is really happy. Except for Ritakka who gets to be truly free.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I got a quest Drowned Something or other its level 22 , but I get to a part where Aloy is like " I need to move this but I can't hold my breathe". Am I missing some item?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hollismason posted:

I got a quest Drowned Something or other its level 22 , but I get to a part where Aloy is like " I need to move this but I can't hold my breathe". Am I missing some item?

Have you done the main quest in the southern desert area yet? POSEIDON will grant you the ability to swim indefinitely without needing to breathe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Klungar posted:

Have you done the main quest in the southern desert area yet? POSEIDON will grant you the ability to swim indefinitely without needing to breathe.

No I haven't I'm on Aether. I'm kind meandering about because I got some quests to do. Hopefully it lets me come back to it because I had to abandon it . Couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Okay I'm a page or two late but I played through it today and here's my take on Faro's Tomb.

It does feel like there should be a bigger Thing about it. Even just finding it is underwhelming, the prep is "it's somewhere in San Francisco but that's all we know", so I expected a bit of a hunt, but the moment Aloy introduces herself the locals basically just go "oh yeah, it's over there, want to come?" and walk her to the door. Then inside I was expecting something so grand it's basically obscene but aside from a big entrance hallway it's just like every other old ruin, and not even a big one. All the logs are just "Faro sure is a dick" stuff rather than anything actually particularly interesting/awful. It is neat to see the return of the corruptors but they're not much of a challenge at this point, especially with all the backup from the Quen. Should've thrown in a deathbringer as well.

A Faro boss wouldn't have fit right, and I definitely got "immobile flesh heap living in agony" more than "angry tentacle monster" from the story, but it did feel a bit underwhelming to just have a standard door with a standard corridor behind it with the whole encounter being a two minute cutscene mostly starring a character I only met 30 minutes ago (who then dies a few minutes later). At the very least he deserved a conversation where the hosed up mess insists everything he's done is right and he's not really been miserable and alone and in pain for a whole millenium, and then we'd get the satisfaction of being able to say gently caress Ted Faro directly to him before Ceo sets him on fire. The escape was kind of neat but actually didn't have a whole lot going on beyond some lethal terrain to step around.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong later but it felt shoehorned in, like it wasn't part of the original plan. Aside from the omega clearance macguffin it didn't really connect to anything that's happened so far in the game and didn't seem to set up much going forward. I do see why someone would feel like there was a bunch of content cut, because it is extremely basic and separate from everything else, given how significant it is in the setting.

Also this is a vent but holy poo poo the loving climbing in this game is terrible. I don't remember it being this bad in HZD. Aloy spends half her time superglued to a spot despite the next one, or just even just regular level ground, being literally right in front of her. And then the other half of the time she's just sliding off poo poo into the abyss like there isn't a glowy yellow line to grab on to at all. Cleaning up the cauldrons is going to drive me to drink.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I'm around level 32 or so in the game and I've been enjoying it okay, but I'm really getting annoyed at Guerrilla Games having the design philosophy of: "You must ALWAYS have to do everything in threes."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hollismason posted:

No I haven't I'm on Aether. I'm kind meandering about because I got some quests to do. Hopefully it lets me come back to it because I had to abandon it . Couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do.
You can come back to any of the side quests at any time, and likely will need to, since there's more that you can start without having the necessary upgrades to complete them. Usually Aloy will specifically mention she can't do anything more when you get to that point, and in some cases it will get an "On Hold" status in the quest screen until you complete the relevant mission.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Has this bug happened for anyone else where the screen will black out for like a split second. I have only seen it twice in 24 hours.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ulio posted:

Has this bug happened for anyone else where the screen will black out for like a split second. I have only seen it twice in 24 hours.
It's happened a fair amount in my game, and I can't find a pattern for why it triggers, although it does seem to happen more often after using the stash or vendors, and for some reason several times around the Sunwings at Coit Tower in San Francisco.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
It's happened on our PS5 infrequently, probably loading in assets in the distance

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Am I right in thinking that Aloy's voice sounds kind of weird in this? I love Ashly Burch in basically all of her works, but Aloy sounds rough. Like, she's constantly whispering and out of breath. I think it's because Burch suppresses her natural frantic energy for this role.
But I don't really remember if the voice direction was identical in the first game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

She may have done the voice a little lower and raspier so that she could do Beta a bit lighter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

very late MSQ spoilers how did my dumb rear end not put together why Varl was the only companion without a trophy for helping with a sidequest I've played enough games for it to have risen a red flag the size of a loving mountain

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

cant cook creole bream posted:

Am I right in thinking that Aloy's voice sounds kind of weird in this? I love Ashly Burch in basically all of her works, but Aloy sounds rough. Like, she's constantly whispering and out of breath. I think it's because Burch suppresses her natural frantic energy for this role.
But I don't really remember if the voice direction was identical in the first game.

I think she purposefully darkened Aloy's voice in this game to sound more like Sobeck, which I think was an intentional choice to show how she's trying to follow in her footsteps. I don't think she sounds rough though, at least not anymore than she was in Zero Dawn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just realized I've put in 30 hours and I'm still not finished with the first of those 3 quests. :P I still have to do a lot of side quests. Level 25 right now. I finally faced some sort of FrostBear and just destroyed it with Braced Shot, blew up its frost tank then just utterly destroyed it with 300 damage sharp shot bows. Feels good man.

Nothing feels better in this game than facing a creature that's just got tons of health and just completely annihilating it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jimbot posted:

ENDING SPOILERS: Nemesis coming into being and wanting to destroy all of humanity because it was an AI trapped with the consciousness of ultra capitalists is hilarious to me. I dunno if I'm not giving them the benefit but that X-Play criticism of the Zeniths is just weird to me. In order to get anything from them you have to give some benefits to literal billionaires and that's not something anyone should do. Not if you pay even a silver of attention to the world as it is today. Billionaires should always be the unrelenting awful antagonists. There's nothing to understand about a bunch of billionaires seeing as everyone and thing as disposable for their own self-serving wants and needs.

It’s even funnier than that nemesis is the trapped consciousness of the rich. It doesn’t want to necessarily want to destroy earth. It probably doesn’t actually give a gently caress about earth. But because it’s counterparts need Earth it must be destroyed. It’s the ultimate gently caress you where your own self is trying to kill you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Just realized I've put in 30 hours and I'm still not finished with the first of those 3 quests. :P I still have to do a lot of side quests. Level 25 right now. I finally faced some sort of FrostBear and just destroyed it with Braced Shot, blew up its frost tank then just utterly destroyed it with 300 damage sharp shot bows. Feels good man.

Nothing feels better in this game than facing a creature that's just got tons of health and just completely annihilating it.

I think you should really do the Sea of Sands one. Having freedom to swim underwater however long you like is nice for roaming around the world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aloy sounds the same to me. I could recognize her voice when a HFW commercial came on a TV behind my back across a crowded cafeteria.

I like how she plays Aloy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lobok posted:

I think you should really do the Sea of Sands one. Having freedom to swim underwater however long you like is nice for roaming around the world.

I think I'm toward the end of Aether I'll do that one next.

edit:

I got further in the story completing the Aether line and then got to Message from the Cradle early game spoiler Huh, so the Far Zenith people figured out the fountain of youth and its the original shitheads that messed the world up. Also there's no way that Beta isn't evil and is there to undermine Aloy

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 7, 2022

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Space Racist posted:

ENDGAME SPOILER CHAT CONT'D

I'm not sure I'd call 'hinted at in missable audio/text logs' as 'steadily built up', but that's not my key point. I just feel there's a lot of wasted potential narrative tension if we had learned earlier that the Zeniths were in fact fleeing from Nemesis and slowly revealed that weren't inherently out to reboot the Earth.
It surprised me that they didn't tease and dangle it in front of your face earlier. Making it sound like these Zenith are just the vanguard, getting everything started up for the capital ship Nemesis with the rest of the Zeniths until the twist reveal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I figured out something I was doing wrong with the Shredder Gauntlet. Apparently it's best to use it from further away, and if you do that it's not too hard to catch it.

edit: Oooh, after a few throws the Shredder shot explodes for a bunch more damage.

edit2: lmao tried fighting this Apex Shellsnapper and I have no idea how the gently caress you're supposed to beat that thing other than just chugging healing potions non-stop. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to reliably avoid its attacks, and you rarely get a chance to attack yourself because its guns shoot faster than you can charge any weapons that aren't fast-firing. I have no idea how people would fight this thing on a harder difficulty mode. I think I might be able to beat it in the late game through sheer attrition when I just have a large quantity of healing items and higher defense.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 7, 2022

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished the Leviathan quest and I really liked it. The themes were well done and there's a lesson in it for Alva and it just very neatly ties it up.

I really hope the next game or a big expansion takes Aloy across the sea to hang out with the Quen. Alva is easily my favorite character in the game and Quen society is interesting and well primed for a shakeup by the team. Plus it has easy to set up storylines of trade and cultural exchanges between the different parts of the world post recovery.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: lmao tried fighting this Apex Shellsnapper and I have no idea how the gently caress you're supposed to beat that thing other than just chugging healing potions non-stop. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to reliably avoid its attacks, and you rarely get a chance to attack yourself because its guns shoot faster than you can charge any weapons that aren't fast-firing. I have no idea how people would fight this thing on a harder difficulty mode. I think I might be able to beat it in the late game through sheer attrition when I just have a large quantity of healing items and higher defense.

The trick to shell snappers is to hit the armor bolts. This blows off huge chunks of its shell and the guns along with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

The trick to shell snappers is to hit the armor bolts. This blows off huge chunks of its shell and the guns along with it.

When fighting a non-Apex version (after I died the Apex one was replaced with a normal one) I found the my new Tearblaster arrows (fully upgraded the bow I got from the story with them) were great at this (I think just 2 knocked off the gun + clamps + some armor bits for an entire quadrant of the shell). Like, so much better that I don't understand why you'd ever want to use another tear ammo (unless you're just trying to save resources against weaker things). Granted, that's probably partly because of the ridiculous mod I have that gives +100% component tear for Sharpshot bow ammo.

I was also able to knock off most of the guns (all but one) on the Apex version this way, but it went berserk once it got to low health and just hosed me up with nonstop attacks. I think the thing that bugged me is that I don't know what I could have done to avoid any of them. I'm sure I'll be able to win the same fight when I'm 10 levels higher, but it makes me wonder what people on high difficulties are doing.

I might try using my canister rope-caster the next time I try fighting a big machine. It seems like a reasonable way to apply trap-ish damage/elements in the middle of a fight. Hell, I probably should have tried a regular ropecaster against the turtle, since its jumping + digging were loving me up (moreso later, largely because the area was covered in ice from its attacks, limiting my movement).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The trick for a lot of robots that charge you, like the shell snapper when it comes out of the ground, is to run towards it and dodge when it jumps over you, this is the only way to get the distance to avoid the knockdown.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Something that stupidly didn't occur to me all game is that Rank 3 of Powershots will refill your entire ammo clip, including spike thrower bolts. And if you upgrade your pouch capacity to 18 right away, that's 18 expensive-rear end ammo restored for free. You don't even have to be particularly judicious to avoid spending 18 of them before charging back up to full meter. I may never need another drop of blastpaste again. If I ever do a full replay, I'm gonna max out Powershot and spike thrower capacity ASAP.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Demiurge4 posted:

The trick for a lot of robots that charge you, like the shell snapper when it comes out of the ground, is to run towards it and dodge when it jumps over you, this is the only way to get the distance to avoid the knockdown.

Slide acts like a longer dodge. You can avoid a lot of attacks with the slide, which you can aldo cancel into a dodge roll whenever.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh poo poo slide has invincibility frames?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No sorry, I meant it is just another move for getting out of the way and it goes farther than the roll so your timing doesn't have to be as spot-on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are also machines you're intended to slide under like the shock coils beneath Thunderjaws or giving Fireclaws the old slip-a-dip and igniting the canisters on their backs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And there are those weapons and coils that give you more damage when firing while sliding (or falling) so the game clearly intended sliding to be used for more than just racing running quest NPCs.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Farming tiderippers for their stupid floppy tails, and losing a bat fang that flew off to parts unknown, frustrated me enough to turn on easy loot and I feel dumb for not having it on from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

asciidic posted:

Farming tiderippers for their stupid floppy tails, and losing a bat fang that flew off to parts unknown, frustrated me enough to turn on easy loot and I feel dumb for not having it on from the start.

it was widemaw tusks that did it for me