Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qhat posted:

this a double edged sword. you do get a bit more info about the position and what it pays, but other employers can get salary information about your own position via public job postings. I don’t know if it’s clear whether this will actually improve wages for anybody who isn’t in tech.

as if there isn’t a million ways for employers to gather that info already, from body firms bidding in contractors to hr doing market salary comp surveys to dave calling bob over at amalgamated and asking what he’s paying for that widget inspector position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yeah big companies already know pretty well what salary bands are like at their competition via a variety of to-the-letter legal and off-books sort of ways. if nothing else, this saves those companies money because now they don’t have to pay for salary surveys.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think this is almost certainly better for regular people.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
It would be pretty Charlie Brown to not remain open to the possibility that companies will figure out a way to make this lovely.

At least for now though I think this should help wages. And the amount of time and anxiety saved should really benefit everybody.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

qhat posted:

this a double edged sword. you do get a bit more info about the position and what it pays, but other employers can get salary information about your own position via public job postings. I don’t know if it’s clear whether this will actually improve wages for anybody who isn’t in tech.

Yea nah, even tiny companies like mine have access to this information one way or another before making an offer. They can get it several ways that put them at great advantage.

Ways:
1) They have access to up to date salary information based on job and metro. Paying a small amount for it is easily worth it for up to date info.
2) They can ask in ways that put people on the spot. Only about 25% of interviewing candidates successfully duck this question. They'll either ask what range youre looking for or what you currently make.
3) They ask you to do a background check "because it can take a little while" before the offer letter. It asks for salary history on the same page where it asks for your current/previous employers phone number and contact info. It makes it feel like a huge risk to lie.

So assuming candidates don't lie. Roughly 0% of candidates will make it through all these hoops.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

here's the thing; a company using anything that could be used to infer your past salaries should absolutely be illegal. credit history, rando "salary lookup services", "background checks", trolling public job postings, whatever. it should not even be legal for a company to anchor expectations on salary before an offer has been made, since that's basically the same as asking what your current salary is. none of these things have anything to do with whether a candidate can do a job and should be a prosecutable offense to use against them when deciding an offer.

should candidates have more leverage in interviews negotiations? absolutely. if anything public job postings with salary ranges might encourage existing workers to demand more from their employers because they have actual data to back it up. I just imagine that if companies are forced to post ranges that they will end up being so wildly large and postings so vague that it just ends up being useless info compared to actual reported salaries on glassdoor or levels.fyi. but maybe i'm wrong about that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

there’s a lot of things companies could maybe do to maliciously comply with the law, I’m curious as to it’s particulars. i also wonder about places that do leveling post-interview or as part of the interview — do they post the entire band for that particular job code/title?

i mostly see this as something that could disadvantage smaller shops because they don’t tend to have super-structured pay scales and ranges. i also wonder what it’s effect will be outside of tech jobs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its been law in colorado for a while

the main things peeps do is "coloradans need not apply". but if washington and california do it they cant do that anymore

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What percent of the tech sector do those three states cover

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Prob a dece two figgies

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

New York is doing it as well iirc, dunno when it kicks in though.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats why they pay a quarter, third of a million now

I've said it before, but: at what salary does the human feces in the streets disappear.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont know if i should make fun of you for not knowing the difference between san francisco and the south bay or if i should make fun of you for being a baby about a lil poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

youre one of those people who knows somebody in san clemente and you keep asking about what it's like to live in los angeles, right?

*talking to person in white plains* yeah, i could never live in new york city like you do, there's just so many people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

white plains, Yonkers and Newark are all NYC, fight me

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

hobbesmaster posted:

they're about as nyc as southern ct

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

as is Bethpage

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

qhat posted:

The company is going to attempt to screw you regardless of if they release this information or not. The only thing this does is give the potential employee some leverage.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I guess if you are looking for remote work, your options might decrease because companies across state lines might not want to disclose that they're underpaying you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

as is Bethpage

basically all of long island that doesn't have "hampton" in its name

(maybe make the cutoff farmingdale?)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Even northeastern Queens isn't NYC in anything but a municipal sense.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

has anyone else gotten a large comp adjustment in the last few months?

i started at a fairly large tech company at the end of 2020 at around 240k total comp; this was almost double my previous salary, so i was happy with the offer. i got nearly 100k more in equity in 2021 during performance review, which seemed good to me as well. my performance reviews so far have all been glowing so i figured i was on track for a decent raise this year.

early this year i was told that apparently i was determined to be behind the target comp for my position and i'd be getting some kind of comp bump, completely unrelated to performance. i didn't know what this would look like and i expected it to be a small salary raise. it turned out to be an additional 400k in equity :eyepop:

i'm both thrilled and baffled by this. is the market just this competitive now?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what kind of timelines are you talking here? 100k over 4 years for perf is a very different beast from 100k per year. same question wrt the 400k. a better question is, what's your level and what's your TC now? it kinda sounds like you were way underpaid and they're making sure you don't go looking by bumping you to baseline

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

??? Where do you live

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

what kind of timelines are you talking here? 100k over 4 years for perf is a very different beast from 100k per year. same question wrt the 400k. a better question is, what's your level and what's your TC now? it kinda sounds like you were way underpaid and they're making sure you don't go looking by bumping you to baseline

each equity grant is 4yr vesting. 100k/4yr from perf review, 400k/4yr from being under the baseline. level is Senior Engineer. my tc is going to be approaching 400k/yr once all the grants line up and maximum figgie alignment has occurred

quote:

??? Where do you live

remote position but i'm in :canada:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
You’re performing well and they want to retain you. Congrats!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao it's not that competitive everywhere. i got promoted late last year and got a 7% bump to 140k. unless i'm missing something that's also my tc, we don't get bonuses or rsus. i've also been told that since i got that raise with my promotion not to expect anything from the salary plan later this year

inflation last year was 7%

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hence why i go on and on and on about figgielands

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

tk posted:

You’re performing well and they want to retain you. Congrats!

it's wild to me that it was unprompted. i didn't think i was underpaid. i will shut the gently caress up and take the money though

carry on then posted:

lmao it's not that competitive everywhere. i got promoted late last year and got a 7% bump to 140k. unless i'm missing something that's also my tc, we don't get bonuses or rsus. i've also been told that since i got that raise with my promotion not to expect anything from the salary plan later this year

inflation last year was 7%

maybe it would be worth it to explore more competitive options

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

titaniumone posted:

i will shut the gently caress up and take the money though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLl7dONoUT8

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

titaniumone posted:

it's wild to me that it was unprompted. i didn't think i was underpaid. i will shut the gently caress up and take the money though

maybe it would be worth it to explore more competitive options

uprooting myself completely at 30 and moving so i have an hour each way commute in the bay area is a hard pill to swallow, op

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

titaniumone posted:

i get to find out what mine is this friday. we'll see if i'll be staying or becoming a regular again itt soon!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nice dude sounds like you're just crushing it! imo they're throwing money at you so you don't leave for a faang. they haven't TOTALLY closed the gap i guess but i mean, close enough! i'm happy for you, cash them checks!

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

titaniumone posted:

i'm both thrilled and baffled by this. is the market just this competitive now?

Yep. In the last 6 months, I've had three, separate, comp bumps. One was performance review and on the normal schedule, the other two were just "we love what you are doing here so we're shoveling money your direction. Please stay."

I'm not at your numbers, but I'm also just 2 years into a career change to industry computer touching. It does feel a bit baffling, but also pretty good.

jemand fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 7, 2022

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kinda related, but those of you who moved cross-country to take a better-paying job, how did you handle uprooting, if it was just you moving? was it overall worth it?

one of the things keeping me here is i have a nice group of friends and zero confidence i'd ever make any more at 30, especially since the places the companies i'd be interested in applying to are all in areas notorious for being unfriendly (i.e. "seattle freeze").

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jemand posted:

"we love what you are doing here so we're shoveling money your direction. Please stay."

lol my last place tried this, but it was $30k that vested all at once in 2 years. the reason i left wasnt money (though i was underpaid), but i made more than that per year at the new place, plus equity and bonus

idk wtf they're thinking, compared to you guys getting six figure grants it wasnt very compelling

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
employment is not done in good faith. the places that are paying the eyepopping amounts have had it beaten into them by the example of the rotting corpses of previous tech majors. the further from the places where you get management that remembers them, the shittier every term of employment. includin comp.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its been law in colorado for a while

the main things peeps do is "coloradans need not apply". but if washington and california do it they cant do that anymore

I have a screenshot saved somewhere of a jd that ends with 2 paragraphs about how the employer is inclusive and all that bs... And then single sentence saying that they don't want Colorado residents.

I am amazed at how people can write these without spontaneously combusting from the irony.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

kinda related, but those of you who moved cross-country to take a better-paying job, how did you handle uprooting, if it was just you moving? was it overall worth it?

one of the things keeping me here is i have a nice group of friends and zero confidence i'd ever make any more at 30, especially since the places the companies i'd be interested in applying to are all in areas notorious for being unfriendly (i.e. "seattle freeze").

get a remote work position, then you don't have to move for a new job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Xarn posted:

I have a screenshot saved somewhere of a jd that ends with 2 paragraphs about how the employer is inclusive and all that bs... And then single sentence saying that they don't want Colorado residents.

I am amazed at how people can write these without spontaneously combusting from the irony.

I'm pretty sure if you work in HR long enough you're required to have your sense of irony surgically removed