Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Little Kielbasa posted:

gently caress Radahn.

I figured out that you can resummon guys and started doing better, but definitely upwards of 40 trys at this point.

Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sitting on 40,000 runes exiting the Capital, fled for my life from some overpowered thing all the way to an elevator, got on, a generic enemy started beating the poo poo out of me as we went up. I fought it to the death and won. Can't remember a tenser videogame moment and that mook was relatively nothing

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
npcs kind of seem set up with the expectation that you'll A. Notice and talk to them immediately and B. Explore the open world of the region afterwards

it kind of falls apart if you complete a chunk of the region they move around in before you ever talk to them or explore the other half of the region and feel ready to move on

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

pentyne posted:

Real dumb that even some of the vendors take off, like the entire point of vendors in games is to have a known static location you can go to when you need to buy their items.

Haha yeah it didn't bother me but I bumped into the priest guy randomly on the road and was like hey it's you, you're doing something huh, good for you. Welp see ya.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wtf do I do with grapes which I think might actually be eyes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Wtf do I do with grapes which I think might actually be eyes

Grant them to an npc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wellwinds posted:

npcs kind of seem set up with the expectation that you'll A. Notice and talk to them immediately and B. Explore the open world of the region afterwards

it kind of falls apart if you complete a chunk of the region they move around in before you ever talk to them or explore the other half of the region and feel ready to move on

it wouldn't surprise me if the explicit purpose was to encourage community discussion and research so that people would know the steps they'd need to take and where to go by communicating with others

even if the jigsaw puzzle method of worldbuilding is miyazaki's favored approach, it can't have gone unnoticed that the surfeit of lore videos and archaeological expeditions looking for secrets/unused content/etc. is something that's kept people coming back to the dark souls well for years and years now, and fostering that communal spirit by being intentionally vague - whether through Deep Lore or simple "where the gently caress did this guy go" questions - is a good strategy if you want the game to live on well past its expiry date

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vermain posted:

it wouldn't surprise me if the explicit purpose was to encourage community discussion and research so that people would know the steps they'd need to take and where to go by communicating with others

even if the jigsaw puzzle method of worldbuilding is miyazaki's favored approach, it can't have gone unnoticed that the surfeit of lore videos and archaeological expeditions looking for secrets/unused content/etc. is something that's kept people coming back to the dark souls well for years and years now, and fostering that communal spirit by being intentionally vague - whether through Deep Lore or simple "where the gently caress did this guy go" questions - is a good strategy if you want the game to live on well past its expiry date

It's not wrong, and reading messages and seeing bloodstains adds a ton to the overall experience. There's the problem that whatever the original intent was it's pretty much become overrun with memes for a lot of it so "hidden wall" "fort, night" and "pickle" and loving everywhere

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

gently caress Radahn.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I figured out that you can resummon guys and started doing better, but definitely upwards of 40 trys at this point.

I swallowed my pride, popped a furlcalling finger, and...is not being able to mount during this fight when you summon some jolly cooperation intended? :darksouls:

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
downed radahn last night at lvl 42 and a +5 game of thrones sword.

incredible fight, took me probably three hours to get him down but I enjoyed the whole time - it was always my fault when I died once I learned his bag of tricks, man it was just a good bag of tricks. biggest thing is when he starts doing that galloping move where the attack is going to come from either the left or right with the giant hesitation, just gtfo. get on your horse and let him do his garbage combo then jump off the horse and try and get a jumping R2 at his head in midair and get back in the fight

phase 2... man I don't even know, it was a whirlwind the one where i finally got him. he was charging at me doing the cross sword charge gently caress you move, I had one estus left but not enough time to get it off, 10% healthbar - but I've got throwing knives on shortcut. Y and down. one was all it took. great enemy defeated.

the way to go on both phases is really to keep your distance, let your adds get aggro, do jumping R2s off your horse when you can, and constantly resummon, but something about the fight just got my bloodlust up every time and I'd find myself between his legs doing the dodgeroll ballet.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2022

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
What the gently caress happens after the capital? Almost every normal enemy in the snow lands two-shots me and all the new mobs they introduce are bafflingly loving hard all of a sudden. In Bloodborne or DS3 you kind of felt more confident as you approached the late game but here everything makes you feel like you're a weak baby. I don't get why they thought the insane difficulty spike was a good idea, the jump between areas wasn't this jarring before. :(

Like I'm just running around with my horse finding graces and expanding the map because almost everything I encounter immediately mops the floor with me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
lol at the end of Sellen's questline

She gets triumphant and takes out Queen Rennala after you go through the whole thing to get her a new body. Then the next time you zone back in the Queen is back and Sellen's been turned into one of those giant head orbs :darksouls:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I swallowed my pride, popped a furlcalling finger, and...is not being able to mount during this fight when you summon some jolly cooperation intended? :darksouls:

Summoning a real person anywhere disables mounting presumably because the netcode is barely holding together as is.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Upgrading my Heavy Brick Hammer from +24 to +25 would lower its dps in both raw damage and strength scaling damage. Is that some weird counterintuitive mechanic with selecting a heavy class weapon ash or is the game just bugged currently?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

fall damage in this game is entirely vibes based lmao i love it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is it possible to get to the north-east most zone on the map early, or do I need to finish some stuff up in Leyndell first?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Teeth posted:

fall damage in this game is entirely vibes based lmao i love it

Toss a coloured stone before you jump. If it survives you survive.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Carian Study Hall was a cool area and the enemy after was a lot of fun. its great that the game keeps surprising you even this far in

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Dante posted:

I found this to be pretty funny:

https://twitter.com/JAAY_ROCK_/status/1500183141708926976?s=20&t=dk2_Ez9Qo5OLOh65vXucCg

https://twitter.com/_RandomBR/status/1500124261675155459?s=20&t=dk2_Ez9Qo5OLOh65vXucCg

The UI isn't stylish, but it's not in the way all the goddamn time - which is probably the first game I've felt that about in years.

reminds me of this:
https://i.imgur.com/pGtvJUQ.mp4

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Upgrading my Heavy Brick Hammer from +24 to +25 would lower its dps in both raw damage and strength scaling damage. Is that some weird counterintuitive mechanic with selecting a heavy class weapon ash or is the game just bugged currently?

Just bugged, that happens to some weapons.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I got to Volcano Manor, and this masked lady gave me a letter and keeps telling me check my mal for a marker, but Ive been staring at the map for 5 minutes abd I still see nothing. I look it up online, and put my map exactly where it says the marker should be, but theres nothing. Am I supposed to just head to Storm Hill and hope an NPC sign shows up?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I got to Volcano Manor, and this masked lady gave me a letter and keeps telling me check my mal for a marker, but Ive been staring at the map for 5 minutes abd I still see nothing. I look it up online, and put my map exactly where it says the marker should be, but theres nothing. Am I supposed to just head to Storm Hill and hope an NPC sign shows up?

If you've spoken to her that's probably your best bet

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Hello OPs I can't make it past the first little camp with all the guards who have swords... And then there is a big knight with a javelin thing that keeps killing me....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

lol at the end of Sellen's questline

She gets triumphant and takes out Queen Rennala after you go through the whole thing to get her a new body. Then the next time you zone back in the Queen is back and Sellen's been turned into one of those giant head orbs :darksouls:

She has one? How do you start it?

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
stuck at gate front ruins basically

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh sure, something breaths on me and I fall off my horse but Radahn gets to gallivant about on the world's smallest pony.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

gently caress Radahn.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

styls trill epic posted:

Hello OPs I can't make it past the first little camp with all the guards who have swords... And then there is a big knight with a javelin thing that keeps killing me....

Sneak around and backstab the outer ones. Fighting them all at once is going to get you killed. The leader is tough at the outset too. Depending on your starting class also don't forget to use spells or a bow etc to draw out dudes one or two at a time.

If you've got a shield block a hit and press heavy attack for a "guard counter" it will serve you well.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How do I get to buy smithing stones

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, spoilers if you can, but are there any "yes I accept this" prompts where it locks you into something like a quest and/or locks you out of others, particularly anything related to locking out endings?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

you got games on your phone?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did you read the letter? That's what puts the marker on your map IIRC. Also the signs, stupidly, aren't exactly where the marker is. They're usually in the same "room" though, so you just have to kind of wander and look.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drunken officeparty posted:

Always investigate mines. They're the little red arches on the map (usually set in a cliff face). Some will unlock smithing goods at the roundtable vendor.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Zore posted:

Summoning a real person anywhere disables mounting presumably because the netcode is barely holding together as is.

I get it but, drat, it really sucks for Rodahn in particular.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I love the summoning spirit mimic tear

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

So, spoilers if you can, but are there any "yes I accept this" prompts where it locks you into something like a quest and/or locks you out of others, particularly anything related to locking out endings?

In the sewers in the capital city (which are completely optional) do not go all the way through them to find the hidden shrine, then go through an invisible way to descend to the bottom of a great pit where a door made of fleshy fire stands and get nude and go through it. Thats the only lockout afaik.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

Sneak around and backstab the outer ones. Fighting them all at once is going to get you killed. The leader is tough at the outset too. Depending on your starting class also don't forget to use spells or a bow etc to draw out dudes one or two at a time.

If you've got a shield block a hit and press heavy attack for a "guard counter" it will serve you well.

Is that what I'm supposed to do OP? Kill all of the guards? then what happens?

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
The big knight is impossible o beat

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

In the zone with the big lake, go to the mine in the northeast of the lake under the cliffs overhanging it. The boss drops a thing you can take to the two finger vendor at the roundtable.

You'll need a weapon that deals strike damage, or spells, to damage anything in the mine including the boss.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

this weekend was supposed to be 48 hours of uninterrupted elden ring for cowcaster but i have played 0 hours because of “friends” and “doing things”. pray 4 cowcaster

now i'm back and i'm going to bed early instead of playing elden ring