Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
at risk of probation I think it's irresponsible to chop up history into discrete units without any regard to how other portions thereof may inform or have informed the other moments in question

haha hell yeah great snipe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can we keep this poo poo in D&D and CSPAM please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
History ended thirty years ago.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Let's praise Fukuyama for saving us from this discussion.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

what if instead it's francis fuckyourmama and he's having sex with all of our mothers now that history doesn't exist anymore

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

BasicLich posted:

*cracks the seal on the can of worms and begins pouring it all out*

I must admit, I'm somewhat sympathetic, the USSR was dysfunctional but it could have perpetuated past the crises in the late 1980s that culminated in the careful dissolution of the Warsaw pact, the union of soviet republics, the reunification of Germany etc, but this dissolution was predicated on promises the west made that we never held up our end of the bargain on.

it's pretty obvious that the west has been happy to see conflicts like this from generation to generation as long as it culminates in the obvious goal of making russia subservient to western capital

This poo poo is all wrong on many levels. I'm too drunk and this is not D&D but y'know.

*if you do not respond to this I promise to drop it

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BasicLich posted:

I must admit, I'm somewhat sympathetic, the USSR was dysfunctional but it could have perpetuated past the crises in the late 1980s that culminated in the careful dissolution of the Warsaw pact, the union of soviet republics, the reunification of Germany etc, but this dissolution was predicated on promises the west made that we never held up our end of the bargain on.

it's pretty obvious that the west has been happy to see conflicts like this from generation to generation as long as it culminates in the obvious goal of making russia subservient to western capital

Diplomatic promises aren't worth the paper they're written on and everyone knows that, including Russia. If Russia actually cared, they'd have negotiated something concrete.

"But they PROMISED!!!" is just post hoc cheerleading for imperialism.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

that 30 rock episode where jenna maroney said that they should punish barack obama and that's why she supports osama in the election except its biden and putin

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
We need to develop a thoughtful pipeline for utility monsters. While there are plenty of antecedents, the modern media age gives us two great templates in the form of Barack Hussein Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton. We just need to perfect the hatred people feel towards those two so it can be generated on demand and then we torture the poo poo out of them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hmmm

FreudianSlippers posted:

potatoes were satanic

rhrmmmmrm

Byzantine posted:

History ended thirty years ago.

*starts sweating*

BasicLich posted:

biden and putin

uhh evil vodka was invented in the future?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Can we keep this poo poo in D&D and CSPAM please?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't remember if I've shared this bit before. It's from a police protocol in a Danish city ca. 1900 (my translation).

quote:

Interrogation re there were indecent words written on a window at the department store, and on a hatch on the brewery barn. Report was provided by the arresting officer.

Peter, 10 years old, explained that he, some days before the barn burned down, saw the boy Hans write with some chalk on a hatch at the barn, and when Peter immediately after saw what was written, it said: "cock. oval office."

Hans, 14, admitted to writing the aforementioned words with chalk on the hatch at the brewery barn.

A sheet of glass was then presented to him, which was taken from a window at the department store, and whereupon has been written "oval office" and drawn male and female genitalea. It has presumably been done with a piece of flint.

Hans would not admit to having carved the amentioned on the glass, or to knowing who did it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BasicLich posted:

what if instead it's francis fuckyourmama and he's having sex with all of our mothers now that history doesn't exist anymore

"Sweetie," your mother says, "Francis and I have a... history together."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BasicLich posted:

nah

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Carthag Tuek posted:

I don't remember if I've shared this bit before. It's from a police protocol in a Danish city ca. 1900 (my translation).

Peter is a snitch, but Hans is cool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Philippe posted:

Peter is a snitch, but Hans is cool.

:hai:

iirc there was no formal conviction, but Hans' dad offered to pay 2 dkk for the fine/damages, and the court accepted. That's about 5 hours semiskilled wages at the time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like how every language through all of history has only two kinds of swears, body humor and religious sacrilege. You're either drinking the virgin's blood or "lol dick"

PS: Pachacuti was a CIA plant to ultimately import the Devil's Tuber to Europe and bring down the immortal science of marxism-leninsm with the fascist practice of distillation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how every language through all of history has only two kinds of swears, body humor and religious sacrilege. You're either drinking the virgin's blood or "lol dick"

PS: Pachacuti was a CIA plant to ultimately import the Devil's Tuber to Europe and bring down the immortal science of marxism-leninsm with the fascist practice of distillation.

Vladimir the Great had already doomed them, four centuries before Pachacuti was born.

quote:

Drinking is the joy of all Rus. We cannot exist without that pleasure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

also you can split the body humor into poo poo/piss and gently caress/suck. depending on when & where, the level of lewdness is way different

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
PYF Historical Fun Fact: you can split the body humor into poo poo/piss and gently caress/suck

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I came into this thread because I thought the title was an explanation of the humours. I.e. coleric, sanguine, melancholic and phlegmatic.

I wanted to know which was piss and which was poo poo :( .

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If your piss is sanguine go to the hospital

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Prurient Squid posted:

which was piss

According to Galen, blood.

Prurient Squid posted:

which was poo poo

Yellow bile could allegedly be found in poo poo

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I mean, isnt bile one of the main class of compounds that gives poo poo its colour?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Which humor is that?

potty humor

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Falukorv posted:

I mean, isnt bile one of the main class of compounds that gives poo poo its colour?

no, it's your posting

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

According to Galen, blood.
Fun fact: If it hadn't been for Galen, Commodus would've never have been emperor. When Commodus was a kid Galen was hired to look after him. When he then got sick Galen insisted on giving him food, water and rest until he was well again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Galen: the ancient Max Tremmel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

when i was a child i thought phlegmatics were prone to flipping out because of the sound of the word

as an adult i am fully aware that flipping out is not a rare affliction.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Inca did have a planned economy... :thunk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

FreudianSlippers posted:

When they were first introduced to Europe some people thought potatoes were satanic because they grew underground closer to hell

Seeing as how they replaced turnips/rutabagas, I find this bit extremely suspicious on account of making zero sense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seeing as how they replaced turnips/rutabagas, I find this bit extremely suspicious on account of making zero sense.

People finding illogical reasons to avoid interacting with something they're not familiar with? That's not the humanity I know! :thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: If it hadn't been for Galen, Commodus would've never have been emperor. When Commodus was a kid Galen was hired to look after him. When he then got sick Galen insisted on giving him food, water and rest until he was well again.

Pretty much everything about Roman medicine, especially for children, is absolutely terrifying.

Medicine had very little to do with science for far too long, and for a long time there was a reason people joked about how doctors were just a particularly expensive way to die. And even now doctors have a tendency to come up with all kinds of weird poo poo apropos of nothing. Mostly race and sex based.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Mar 6, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Like I said earlier the more likely reason is due to Potatoes(and Tomatoes and Peppers) being a Nightshade, so people in Europe who hadn't encountered them being used as food in the Americas first hand thought they'd be just as poisonous as the ones they knew about(probably not helped by the fact that the rest of the Potato plant besides the tubers is incredibly poisonous, including the very tomato looking fruits they grow), with the Eggplant/Aubergine still being relatively unknown in much of Europe at the time as well and indeed even where it was known it often still had the suspicion given towards it's other Nightshade cousins in terms of being thought to be poisonous or causing other ill effects like making people go insane

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much everything about Roman medicine, especially for children, is absolutely terrifying.

One of the most popular treatments was to starve the patient. Galen demonstrated that it was wrong by first showing how sick a starved patient was and then how they recovered by being fed.

But archaeological finds have shown that doctors wasn't just quacks either. One doctor in Rimini who lived 70 years before Galen for example had instruments that could be used for everything from removing arrows to operating cataracts. They also found this bronze tube that was inserted into the patient's penis in order to help them pass water:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Mar 6, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Medicine had very little to do with science for far too long, and for a long time there was a reason people joked about how doctors were just a particularly expensive way to die. And even now doctors have a tendency to come up with all kinds of weird poo poo apropos of nothing. Mostly race and sex based.

I think it was David F. Lancy's The Anthropology of Childhood: Cherubs, Chattel, Changelings that discussed how common it is to this day that healthy guardians in developing countries bring obviously malnourished children to medical aid organizations to obtain medicine for the child's illness. Suggestions to simply feed the child adequately are met with suspicion and resistance, because giving children easy access to food is thought to make them greedy and lazy.

This might seem absurd to us, but that's because westerners were subject to massive public awareness campaigns about the importance of proper childhood nutrition during the 19th and 20th centuries to stamp out similar folk wisdom. Humans are just really bad at connecting the dots between lifestyle and health.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

People finding illogical reasons? That's not the humanity I know! :thunk:

That's right. Historians do it all the time, though. Ipso facto benedicto cucumbo historians aren't human.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Alhazred posted:

One of the most popular treatments was to starve the patient. Galen demonstrated that it was wrong by first showing how sick a starved patient was and then how they recovered by being fed.

But archaeological finds have shown that doctors wasn't just quacks either. One doctor in Rimini who lived 70 years before Galen for example had instruments that could be used for everything from removing arrows to operating cataracts. They also found this bronze tube that was inserted into the patient's penis in order to help them pass water:

From what I've read over the years, generally speaking ancient surgery was very advanced very early. We have a lot of evidence for very successful interventions of all kinds and many preserved tool sets from ancient Egypt onwards that wouldn't change much in form until the 19th century. Basically about as good as you could get before real knowledge of antiseptics and, later, anaesthesia.

Medicine was more or less majority quack bullshit til, arguably, the 1920s with some notable exceptions.

It helps that with surgery you get a pretty immediate result one way or another I guess. Tracing cause and effect is much easier with it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The egyptians were quite good, but it's still very odd because they'll have shockingly modern medical advice right next to straight up magic spells.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you don't got an actual cure than a placebo might be your best option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
While you were prescribing hot baths, I studied the blade.

Hippocrates posted:

I will not use the knife, not even, verily, on sufferers from stone, but I will give place to such as are craftsmen therein.