Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone have any input on what to cover the dumb wood grain with? It seems like the options are vinyl appliqué vs two piece hard thing and the hard thing seems like it’d be a lot easier

I've done vinyl but not in that area. That area is flat so it should be pretty easy, but that wood is porous, isn't it? I have to wonder how vinyl over wood comes out looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone have any input on what to cover the dumb wood grain with? It seems like the options are vinyl appliqué vs two piece hard thing and the hard thing seems like it’d be a lot easier

I have a vinyl appliqué kit for my piano-black (that didn’t work out for Tesla) bits…

…That I’ve had for two years now and haven’t put in because I’m a horrible trash-fire of a human being with the attention span of a goldfish on amphetamines.

CONTENT: What the gently caress were you going for, Chevrolet? Is this an ad for your truck, or for a tv show about fat crime lords?

https://youtu.be/2bZYqFsU72Y

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I wrapped the piano black center console in my Model 3 with a dark brushed metal look that does a significantly better job of hiding dust and looks like it should have always been that way. The wood trim piece is fine, you hardly notice it and even if you do it just works on the black interior and the alternatives I've seen (carbon fiber/etc) generally look worse and stand out more in a bad way. Although perhaps the same 3M brushed metal wrap would work since it is more subdued.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tbh I wouldn’t put anything adhesive on the wood paneling if you have any plans to resell or trade in the car in the future.

Seems like at minimum you’d leave ugly stains/marks where you put the adhesive

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chin Strap posted:

In my old cars I had a tablet mount for the back seat that just used the headrest posts to latch on to. On the EV6 there is that weird plastic lip sticking up. What do you all think is the best option there for mounting a tablet holder?

The car mount I use has a 22mm ball mount version. I wonder if it would be tricky screwing in something like this into the back. I'm kind of loathe to drill holes on my brand new car though unless I'm sure it won't gently caress up. Maybe I'll try this first and hope it works.

What about just a clamp with a ball end on it to hook it to?

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rubberized-Compatible-Tackform-Enterprise/dp/B083G7JM3T

or this?

https://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-Clamp-Handlebar-Mount-Adapter/dp/B099VJQBYV

I dunno theres tons of these things and it seems you could clamp something onto that handle/lip/whatever piece on the back of the chair and it would be non destructive and not even need to worry about adhesive residue.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

What about just a clamp with a ball end on it to hook it to?

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rubberized-Compatible-Tackform-Enterprise/dp/B083G7JM3T

or this?

https://www.amazon.com/iBOLT-Clamp-Handlebar-Mount-Adapter/dp/B099VJQBYV

I dunno theres tons of these things and it seems you could clamp something onto that handle/lip/whatever piece on the back of the chair and it would be non destructive and not even need to worry about adhesive residue.

Found out about all that myself this morning and yeah I am going to try that. Hope I got the right clamp if not can try again

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lol everyone knows they don’t come with a charger, except, of course, the dealer.

“Woah, these things are electric?!”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The salesman I got my Niro from had no idea what the three little lights are n the dashboard did. Other than that he seemed fairly familiar with the product.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

“Woah, these things are electric?!”

Mine came with 10 free oil changes.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'd love to see you take them up on the oil change to see how long it takes them to realize it doesn't use oil.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Kirios posted:

I'd love to see you take them up on the oil change to see how long it takes them to realize it doesn't use oil.

They’d probably realize it when you sue them for replacing your battery coolant with 10W30 synthetic and then denying the warranty claim.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
On a trip with my Model 3, I live in the flat land of the grid system, so my this is my first real opportunity to carve up some twisty hills. Lots of fun just blasting it up hill and hugging the curves, highly recommend it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Mine came with 10 free oil changes.

"Yeah it's me again. Yes, I want the diff oil changed...again."

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

borkencode posted:

On a trip with my Model 3, I live in the flat land of the grid system, so my this is my first real opportunity to carve up some twisty hills. Lots of fun just blasting it up hill and hugging the curves, highly recommend it.

Yeah, a 3 isn't a Miata since it still has quite a bit of heft you can feel in a curve, but that low center of gravity and surprisingly small moment of inertia lets it get away with a lot of stuff that cars that are as heavy as it would normally struggle with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yeah, a 3 isn't a Miata since it still has quite a bit of heft you can feel in a curve, but that low center of gravity and surprisingly small moment of inertia lets it get away with a lot of stuff that cars that are as heavy as it would normally struggle with.

Tires help a ton. Going from stock Contisilents to Pilot Sport 4S’ made it an entirely different car.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Tires help a ton.

:hmmyes:

I would go so far as to say tires are a must for just about every type of car.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

cruft posted:

:hmmyes:

I would go so far as to say tires are a must for just about every type of car.

How much did big tire pay you to say this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

How much did big tire pay you to say this?

lmao if you aren’t growing your own rubber trees and vulcanizing your own poo poo at home. This is the real natural poo poo, none of that petroleum-derived nonsense. Get over the initial investment in gear and it pays for itself many times over. I roll my own tires and save thousands. I make them for friends and family and I’m the talk of the town at holiday time

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao if you aren’t growing your own rubber trees and vulcanizing your own poo poo at home. This is the real natural poo poo, none of that petroleum-derived nonsense. Get over the initial investment in gear and it pays for itself many times over. I roll my own tires and save thousands. I make them for friends and family and I’m the talk of the town at holiday time

I didn't think your pine-scented air would make such a big difference, but it really put me in a Christmasy mood last year! A+++++++, will get scammedbuy artisanal tires again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are those track things you bolt on tires?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I didn't think your pine-scented air would make such a big difference, but it really put me in a Christmasy mood last year! A+++++++, will get scammedbuy artisanal tires again.

there’s no scam

sure the material doesn’t last as long as the corporate synthetic stuff, and they don’t test as well, and you take a minor penalty on stopping power and safety, but it’s all about the quality of the grip and the subtle nuances of road feel that you only really get from a hand-spun, earth-cured natural tire

Plus it still comes out cheaper in the end, even if you’re replacing 4x as often, and I can do fun seasonal things with the tread pattern

last year I did Christmas trees and then Pats logos for my winter tires and weed leaves for my two summer sets....maybe this is the year I try my hand at track tires

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

These analog tires have great treadfeel.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pro tip: use a green marker to draw a line on the inside of your artisan tires to cause the wheel to spin more evenly and reduce skipping over cracks.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I've recommended to my family still living in the ICE ages to demand essential oils during the maintenance and changes, and it's solved their auto problems completely! Nobody's come to me with a car problem in months!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gold plated wheel bearings help distribute grease more evenly and give a warmer ambience to your steering, which only a true autophile can appreciate.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I've recommended to my family still living in the ICE ages to demand essential oils during the maintenance and changes, and it's solved their auto problems completely! Nobody's come to me with a car problem in months!

I’ve replaced the headlight fluid in all of my + my family’s cars with essential oils (chamomile is my favorite ☺️) and our vibrations have never been more in sync

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Most people think EV battery degradation is irreversible, but it's simply misaligned Chakras within the ion matrix, I'm currently selling crystals that will heal these Chakras and restore your battery health to 100%, often times even more!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Elviscat posted:

Most people think EV battery degradation is irreversible, but it's simply misaligned Chakras within the ion matrix, I'm currently selling crystals that will heal these Chakras and restore your battery health to 100%, often times even more!

This is a load of horse poo poo, idiotic mystical crystal bull can't effect your battery.

You need to use magnets, they align the quantum strands in the cells.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Tom Guycot posted:

This is a load of horse poo poo, idiotic mystical crystal bull can't effect your battery.

nah, far and away the best method for battery supercharging/degradation reversal is concentrated orgone energy

you can set up a regular-style accumulator and condenser and crystal prisms and whatnot in your garage, or/and you could just make a point to have a regular shag in your EV every couple of weeks or so

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh please, everyone knows that you can ONLY align your EV battery crystals but driving to Sedona, AZ and finding the big red rock.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah, far and away the best method for battery supercharging/degradation reversal is concentrated orgone energy

you can set up a regular-style accumulator and condenser and crystal prisms and whatnot in your garage, or/and you could just make a point to have a regular shag in your EV every couple of weeks or so

Sure that's great and all, but Craigslist takes all my posts trying to find guys to JO and charge up our crystals down.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Sure that's great and all, but Craigslist takes all my posts trying to find guys to JO and charge up our crystals down.

gotta get a goon EV owner group together

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Polestar dealer experience was completely remote so there was no upselling involved, but I made sure to stop at a local dealership to stock up on bumper ointment

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Following the advice of my chiro-trician, I installed 13 11" elemental copper panels in my garage, with no more than 3 on each plane. My range has massively improved, and my timing belt is losing less than a second a week now!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

The Polestar dealer experience was completely remote so there was no upselling involved, but I made sure to stop at a local dealership to stock up on bumper ointment

did you make sure to get one of the maintenance guys to supercharge the battery with you?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Seems like there should be an EV shitposting thread :v:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Charles posted:

Seems like there should be an EV shitposting thread :v:

I thought that's what this thread was

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cross-posting from the EV realpost thread:

I just changed from Android to iPhone and the Tesla app is hugely more responsive. Not sure if it's really that big of a difference between operating systems or if it was just my old Moto G5 Plus that didn't support some protocol or something that made it less responsive. I had to wait for the app to get in touch with the car before it would accept commands, if I pressed something too early it might not send, or send it later, or multiple times if I thought the first one didn't go through. Does it work snappy with your Android or slow with your iPhone? Perhaps there's something else that's different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Every thread is a shitposting thread